Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Took 15 Ranger levels on the rebuild for exactly those reasons.

Mobility and Spring attack were taken more or less as being 'best of the rest' feats - the dodge bonus on each is nice. TW Defence, OTWF (for DA/Rapiers/Khops) or Dragonmarks would be just as viable, I just happened to like the dodge. I was considering a Dragonmark, but found the build to be too starved for AP to get them and still get the amount of sneak attack that I want.

EDIT: Just seen I missed out Quick Draw (assuming it still has it's unlisted property of speeding up use of action boosts),so that's 1 of the 2 feats used up. Humans have 1 feat left over (due to bonus feat), HElfs none (wanting QD for dual-boosting) and all others 1 (no need for QD as can't dual boost).
    Last edited by Cloista; 10-24-2013 at 09:05 AM.
    Knight of the Silver Legion, part of Guild Medieval

Quote Originally Posted by Cloista View Post
    EDIT: Just seen I missed out Quick Draw (assuming it still has it's unlisted property of speeding up use of action boosts),so that's 1 of the 2 feats used up. Humans have 1 feat left over (due to bonus feat), HElfs none (wanting QD for dual-boosting) and all others 1 (no need for QD as can't dual boost).
    Not sure how much faster QD can make dual-boosting; without QD I can rapid-fire hit both keys and trigger both at essentially the same time.

Community Member

Not needing QD to dual boost then opens another feat again, as previously this is what made QD valuable, now that behaviour is native (just checked it myself on2 characters, 1 with and 1 without QD).
    Last edited by Cloista-motu; 10-26-2013 at 05:20 AM.

Community Member

So I roughly followed the guide but made a pure dex elf. I am currently level 5 and I already scratch my head as to why the tempest core enhancement doesnt work. I dual wield +1 rapiers.

My Attack Bonus should be +4 (BAB) +1 (Aerenal Line) +1 (Kensei Enhancement) +2 (Whirling Blades) +1 (Rapier) +6 Dex (I have the Tempest Core Enhancement that grants DEX on to hit for light weapons when dual-wielding) -2 (Dual Wielding) = 13 on both Hands

What I get is 7 though (Its not just a bugged Inventory Screen, its actually 7 when I roll an attack on a mob) - the difference is exactly my DEX mod. (Unequipping my +2 Dex ring resulted in no change so its definetely my dex mod not being added).
    Is this just an oversight from the devs or are rapiers not "light weapons"? What am I missing?

EDIT: So I went to a Weapons Shop and tested every base weapon that is listed in the Weapon Finesse feat - it works on all of them except the rapier... Wow.
    Last edited by LaryTrueman; 10-31-2013 at 01:14 PM.

Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LaryTrueman View Post
    Is this just an oversight from the devs or are rapiers not "light weapons"?
    The latter: rapiers are not light weapons, even though they work with Finesse; therefore, Tempest does not use DEX for to-hit & dmg with them. You either need elven Grace or Weapon Finesse feat + Imp Weapon Finesse from DWS. EDIT: if you're a DEX-based elf, it makes more sense to pick up Aerenal + Grace; that way you also add DEX to dmg w/longbows and longswords (grab a decent pair of zombie-beaters).

Community Member

Ah, I see. Weird, I always thought rapiers to be light weapons too. My backup plan for now is to go scimitar. The only thing I didn't like about using them in the first place was the fact that the Valenar enhancements put your dex mod on shortbows. But I'm fine with that for the moment, I have quite a few nice shortbows anyway.

For Dex to damage on rapiers for an elf just pick up the corrisponding elven grace enhancement it's more expensive than the ranger version so you'll probably have to level a few more times but that option is still open .
    Quote Originally Posted by katz View Post
    wow. i actually made it to someone's sig! O.o

yay!

Community Member

Am I going to be doing end-game trapping with this build? I'm struggling as it is doing level 6 stuff with +5 search and dd gear. That's maybe only because I'm was doing a level 7/8 quest on elite. My DPS is okay though.

Quote Originally Posted by mastacheff View Post
    Am I going to be doing end-game trapping with this build? I'm struggling as it is doing level 6 stuff with +5 search and dd gear. That's maybe only because I'm was doing a level 7/8 quest on elite. My DPS is okay though.
    For level 7/8 quests I would expect +10 gear and +5 tools. I typically give my trappers +10 gear at level 5, but if you can't craft masterful you get +10 gear at level 7.

+5 gear is what I use at level 1. (Level 3 without masterful.)

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by EllisDee37 View Post
    For level 7/8 quests I would expect +10 gear and +5 tools. I typically give my trappers +10 gear at level 5, but if you can't craft masterful you get +10 gear at level 7.

+5 gear is what I use at level 1. (Level 3 without masterful.)
    I'm at level 11 now. What kind of chest pieces should I be wearing? I've had this infested armor on for the longest.

Community Member

I'm new so I want to ask this before I make my character:

1) If I don't have any khopeshes should I wait to take the exotic weapon feat? It seems like a waste if I don't have any good ones to use.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mastacheff View Post
    I'm at level 11 now. What kind of chest pieces should I be wearing? I've had this infested armor on for the longest.
    You'll want to switch to light armor for evasion. Crimson Chain might be decent for a near-future upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by Number13 View Post
    1) If I don't have any khopeshes should I wait to take the exotic weapon feat? It seems like a waste if I don't have any good ones to use.
    Only if you have good non-khopeshes. A mediocre khopesh is better than a mediocre anything else, and pretty good looten of all types, including khopesh, should be fairly easy to acquire.

Snakeskin Vest is a decent choice for a trapper w/Evasion; I also like Silken Mail for DR and Giantcraft Leather if you access to Gianthold. For weapons, the Cannith water khopesh is good, particularly the ML:12 version w/Paralyzing, and can be solo-farmed once you get the hang of running Challenges.

Quote Originally Posted by unbongwah View Post
    For weapons, the Cannith water khopesh is good, particularly the ML:12 version w/Paralyzing, and can be solo-farmed once you get the hang of running Challenges.
    This is no joke; those khopeshes are awesome.

Here's a tutorial on how to run challenges, complete with video. Collect your free daily tokens every day!

Quote Originally Posted by EllisDee37 View Post
    This is no joke; those khopeshes are awesome.

Here's a tutorial on how to run challenges, complete with video. Collect your free daily tokens every day!
    I use the Epic Elemental Khop of Water a LOT. However, beware of casters in your party hating on your Crushing Wave procs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Towrn
    ...when the worst thing that happens when you make a mistake at your job is someone complains on the internet, you probably care a little less!

Hi!

I am about to TR my current Ranger into another Ranger I like the look of this build and want to use TWF with Khopesh. Has anyone tried this build and how do they like it? Any updated version of this build based on current experience running it?

Thanks!

Community Member

I have a rogue-1, fighter-1, ranger-6 right now in my 3rd life, working towards rogue-1/fighter-1/ranger-18. Some thoughts:
    Thus far I can trap just fine in the elite dungeons I run. I have the mechanic +3 to trapping/opening locks and I run with crafted goggles (3 sets, spot, search, disable, I have masterful crafting). Thus far I've never failed to find a trap due to not enough skill, nor have I blown up a trap box. I may switch the triple goggles approach over to triple cloaks, since I can put feather fall also onto the cloak when it's time to make my +13s. I'm also building up a cannith challenges 'spare hand' belt set this life. That should reduce the amount of swappage I need to do later on.
    A question: I'm not planning on taking this life far into the epics, probably only 21st, maybe 22nd. My epic destinies open are just avenging angel and unyielding sentinel from my cleric past two lives. Thus, getting cleave/great cleave for overwhelming critical isn't favored. Any suggestions on what feats I can get to best speed and make more enjoyable my heroic levels (and 20th-21st level)?

Here's what I have for feats: (human)
    power attack, dragonmark of passage (got to love Dimension door)
    Exotic weapon:khopesh (with the +3 to hit from arcane archer, I don't miss much, especially with an accuracy item. Thus oversized TWF to reduce the penalty from -4/-4 to -2/-2 is probably not worth it
    Point blank shot---lots of mileage on this, especially with manyshot running
    Dodge
    Next level I'm taking improved critical
    So what should I take for 12th, 15th, and 18th assuming I don't need to build towards Overwhelming critical?

Some options I see:
    Mobility, shot on the run, maybe spring attack
    Trapmaking and the prereq feat for it (nimble fingers I think)
    Toughness and saving throw feats (iron will?)
    Empower healing
    Combat expertise/improved trip for some tactical options, or perhaps stunning blow
    Mental toughness/improved mental toughness for more spell points
    combat casting/mobile spellcasting, for better healing on the run---I'm not that bad at casting while kiting though with the jump, so 2 feats here is probably overdoing it
    Any other suggestions?

I know that veteran players pee on Dex builds due to the proliferation of epic and other boosts heavily favoring the strength stat, but for new players, it may be better to go dex based. Also, five levels of rogue give Knife Specialization in the assassin line, adding envenomed blades, killer doublestrike bonus, improving sneak attack and, most importantly, making knives and kukris 15-20 x3 (with improved critical). There are readily available daggers, too, like the Guardian of the Liturgy which does further massive damage on critical hits.
    The Thug: sustained DPS Int-based non-assassinating assassin
    The Flaming Sphere Scroll Fan Club
    -- Join Now! Free Subscripton via DDO Forums!

Quote Originally Posted by Saekee View Post
    Also, five levels of rogue give Knife Specialization in the assassin line, adding envenomed blades, killer doublestrike bonus, improving sneak attack and, most importantly, making knives and kukris 15-20 x3 (with improved critical). There are readily available daggers, too, like the Guardian of the Liturgy which does further massive damage on critical hits.
    Knife Spec is cool, but that's a very different build from an 18 / 1 / 1 split. Someone interested in, say, rog 5 / rgr 14 / ftr 1 should have a look at Willan's thread, specifically the Hunter's Knife.

Community Member

Default Shadar-kai?

What changes would one make to adapt this for a shadar-ki? Would it be a good choice?

Thanks,
    Iarbonel

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast