Thread: Nice Eye Candy

Default Nice Eye Candy

I spent the night questing in the Stormhorn Mountains with my guildmates, last night. Kudos to the devs for the very nicely made adventure zones and quests. The landscapes were fantastic. I believe the Stormhorm Mountain zone is larger than the King's Forest, but, like the Underdark, the perception one gets in the zone is that it is endless. It makes it so easy to immerse oneself into the game. I believe that this is exactly the type of experience the majority of players want when out exploring.

I enjoyed the quests as well. I cannot remember their names, but, one of my favorites was the one that takes place under the glacier. Again, I was made to feel so insigniificant in comparison to my surroundings that the adrenaline flowed in anticipation of the encounters to come. Fantastic!

With numerous characters to level to 28, I realize that the rush I got from the first time won't last, but, with the graphics you have employed, I do believe I won't feel that I am going through a significant grind.

On the business side of it, I earned over a million experience and gained a level, just running the quest chain and exploring the Stormhorns. I still have two explorer points to find, too, so, I will get back to it soon. Tonight, I will be running the Wheloon Prison series of quests. I am looking forward to those now, much more than before.

Thanks Devs!
    Treachery wears many masks, but none so treacherous as the mask of virtue.

Thanks for the kind words!
    Have fun, and don't forget to gather for buffs!
    Submit DDO Bugs through: ddobugs.turbine.com
    Follow DDO on: Facebook Twitter Google+ Pinterest
    Join us on Twitch!

Quote Originally Posted by tharveysinjin View Post
    I spent the night questing in the Stormhorn Mountains with my guildmates, last night. Kudos to the devs for the very nicely made adventure zones and quests. The landscapes were fantastic. I believe the Stormhorm Mountain zone is larger than the King's Forest, but, like the Underdark, the perception one gets in the zone is that it is endless. It makes it so easy to immerse oneself into the game. I believe that this is exactly the type of experience the majority of players want when out exploring.

I enjoyed the quests as well. I cannot remember their names, but, one of my favorites was the one that takes place under the glacier. Again, I was made to feel so insigniificant in comparison to my surroundings that the adrenaline flowed in anticipation of the encounters to come. Fantastic!

With numerous characters to level to 28, I realize that the rush I got from the first time won't last, but, with the graphics you have employed, I do believe I won't feel that I am going through a significant grind.

On the business side of it, I earned over a million experience and gained a level, just running the quest chain and exploring the Stormhorns. I still have two explorer points to find, too, so, I will get back to it soon. Tonight, I will be running the Wheloon Prison series of quests. I am looking forward to those now, much more than before.

Thanks Devs!
    IMHO, with as much hate and rage that the teams that created the system changes deserve (half-finished enhancement system, item MLs nerfs, XP ransack, etc), the content team for the Storm Horns deserves an equal if not greater amount of praise and love. Give credit where credit is due, the content team did a great job on this area.

Exploring the Storm Horns felt truly epic... It's absolutely huge and spans all types of terrain. Just when you felt you made it to the peak of the mountains, you'd find another pass and up and up you'd go again. It just keeps going and going. The "vista" in the Vale is like a foothill in the Storm Horns. The most fun I've had in DDO in the last year was spending 4 hours yesterday exploring the mountains, caves, crannies of the Storm Horns. (This was starkly contrasted with the worst hours in DDO in the last year which was having to LR and rebuild my characters from the ground up yesterday) The artwork in the Storm Horns was fantastic and the attention to detail of the landscape was simply amazing. I'd rate the quests as OK, but the explorer area took my breath away and is probably the only reason I kept playing yesterday after seeing what a mess my characters were in.

I also look forward to exploring the Prison City tonight!

Content Team: A
    Systems Team: D- (and that's just because you didn't have to rollback or take the servers down, yet)
    Officer of the Platinum Knights of Cannith, Founder of the guild GHOSTBANE of Cannith
    Main - Death - Completionist and then some...
    Other Characters - Holy, Leap, War, Optimusprime, Intimitank, Lanfear, Can, Afkbiobrb, Garagesale, Leverpuller and many more

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by tharveysinjin View Post
    I had the polar opposite experience in the outworld, unfortunately. Sure, it's pretty. But. We were there 4-manning, and after finishing first quest we tried to find the second one. We had a map, but it was extremely hard to figure out the way to the mountains. To top that, there were packs of 10 to 30 mobs literally every 50 meters. The place was so packed that if they actually ate something, the forest would be stripped in a day. And all the packs wanted to kill us, the adventurers.

We spent some 20 minutes wandering the map and trying to find our way to quests, killing more than 200 mobs while bypassing most. After that got too boring, we started zerging around invis, gathering red alert. Eventually one guy was caught, died, and ragequitted from DDO. The rest of the party silently evaporated, planning never to step to the Stormhorn mountains again.

Quote Originally Posted by era42 View Post
    I had the polar opposite experience in the outworld, unfortunately. Sure, it's pretty. But. We were there 4-manning, and after finishing first quest we tried to find the second one. We had a map, but it was extremely hard to figure out the way to the mountains. To top that, there were packs of 10 to 30 mobs literally every 50 meters. The place was so packed that if they actually ate something, the forest would be stripped in a day. And all the packs wanted to kill us, the adventurers.

We spent some 20 minutes wandering the map and trying to find our way to quests, killing more than 200 mobs while bypassing most. After that got too boring, we started zerging around invis, gathering red alert. Eventually one guy was caught, died, and ragequitted from DDO. The rest of the party silently evaporated, planning never to step to the Stormhorn mountains again.
    i think that is why they added the camps to the first guy when you come in. if you find them you can teleport to them freely because its so large

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by arkonas View Post
    i think that is why they added the camps to the first guy when you come in. if you find them you can teleport to them freely because its so large
    0_0 Freely?? Are you positively sure there aren't any dwarves with secret underground tunnels you can use, for a few AS?

LOL I loved the Storm Horns although I spent over an hour trying to find quest entrances. I did indeed find one at last but it was one later in the chain which I didnt hav access to yet...lol. I did find the northern Harpers camp though so the run wont be as long next time.
    Member and owner of "The Mad Midgets" of Khyber.
    Characters; Skrangle, Eileenia, Thyrantraxus, Clonkstar, Eilert, Nidvisa, Sellyse, Lobotobias, Crimsoneye, Whimpsy, Meeep, Maszter, Andromansis etc

The Storm Horns is massive and amazing to look at. The view from the top is especially nice.
    Characters: Celemia / Tukson / Thau (Broken link) / Atremus

“A pessimist is one who feels bad when he feels good for fear he'll feel worse when he feels better.”

Uber Completionist
    The Hatchery

To the OP ... How much did they pay you to write such a nice post? LOL, just kidding :-) Nice post !

I have to agree, the new content looks great and the quests are interesting and challenging too. It's nice to run some new stuff and not the old one over and over again. Great work Turbine. The new content for sure will keep me busy for days, weeks maybe months .... depending on how generous the loot gods are :-)

Community Member

Default Agree with OP

There are some silly accusations that the OP got paid for his review. The OP made some great points, the eye candy is nice. I really like all of the following:

1. great visuals in explorer area
    2. great visuals in quests
    3. great visuals of new monsters
    4. some of the stereo sound effects had me jumping in my seat...still have not figured out what is what but some are very "awakening" when they happen...spells and what not.
    5. there is some really interesting new random loot. I like the fact there will be more random loot in the game.

My complaints are spread about in other threads no need to post here. But the OP is right in my opinion, the visuals are very nice.
    RTFM on Khyber, Toy Soldiers.

Toy Soldiers PD Roll Builds Guild on Wayfinder.

I also love the storm horn wilderness! especially up the mountains. I've been trying to climb to the top with my monk but have yet to find a way to the highest reachable top. The map is huge though!

The only downside is that whenever I glide off the mountain I get stuck behind an invisi-wall and pretty sure you can do that without any speed bonusses as well so maybe something for devs to fix.

~aid

It has all been said, and it is all true! But, I just had to add my 2cp to this thread. Whoever designed Stormhorns and Wheloon deserves a raise! The scenery and the quests are absolutely amazing! Just visually stunning! Totally immersive! I actually screamed when a shadow surprised me at a door.(I am a girl, so I can admit that.)

Many, many thanks to the Turbine team for such good work!
    Orien: Zizie, Zeelee, Zeeny, Zeety, Zeleste, Zeeby
    ?

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by era42 View Post
    You can run thru the area invisible i found all 45 messages yesterday while running invisible and not killing a single mob (i have a pure healbot )

Quote Originally Posted by arkonas View Post
    these help greatly, indeed. But you gotta spend time finding them first found 3 so far (are there more of them?)

Loulani (17 Druid, 2 Monk, 1 Artificer): a healer who cc's (70 Evocation DC) and does traps (110 Disable Device, 107 Search)

i agree also. there r some beautiful places and ncie designs. also i like the Griffins! though its sad that i have to kill those.. heh

and also, yesterday i did ''What Goes Up'', last quest in ''The Secret of the Storm Horns'' chain. when i reached the mountain top i was like O.O really great job in there
    Proud officer of The Balance, in Khyber
    Robopew / Kormah / Sokin / Dhona / Thendrik / Tightpants / Altab / Screamforme / Oohshift / Evermissing
    My trade list: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...-My-Trade-List

Community Member

The Storm Horns is another explorer masterpiece. If you enjoy that kind of stuff or you ever liked running to the vale vista or whatever it's called and jumping off, you should make your way to the high point at the northwestern most corner of the map. Great place for a feather fall leap to see the expanse of the zone below. It is a looooong glide.

The narrated missives were well done again, although not quite as entertaining as the priestess or lolth missives.

That said, there seem to be too few random encounters, and/or they don't spawn as often as they should - I didn't see many and when I did they were the same 2-3 I'd seen before. Personally I preferred the spawn rate of high roads and the variety of encounters in kings forest.

Quote Originally Posted by RTFM View Post
    There are some silly accusations that the OP got paid for his review.
    Cordovan, can you address this? I seem to be missing the "Jewel of lifetime VIP subscription", in my inventory. I have looked in each of my characters' backpacks, but alas, no dinero. I have not yet received my monthly alotment of Jolt Cola either. Do I need to send you my mailing address again? I thought you could get that from my forum account now, anyway!? I guess I will have to start all of my future posts with, "Show me the money!"

Seriously though, there were no communications between the Turbine staff and myself prior to the initial posting. There has not been any exchange of anything of value between the Turbine staff and myself, nor the promise thereof. My initial post was sincere.
    Treachery wears many masks, but none so treacherous as the mask of virtue.