Default The Heal Skill and Negative Energy

Why does the heal skill govern the increase in negative spell power, and why is the heal skill not a class skill for the wizard, a class that if the player chooses to go PM, needs more negative spell power?

Spellcraft aside, every other exception (rust, sonic, reconstruction, positive) lines up with the corresponding class’s class skill.

I know it’s a minor quibble; we’re talking 8 spell power. But it seems like there was zero creative thought involved with this decision. I’m wondering what others think. I’m also wondering if this can be changed.
    Go America. Go Broncos.

Community Member

One more (of many) reasons why a FVS splash goes so well on a wizard.

The Mad Multiclasser Failedlegend's Avatar

Personally I'm refusing to take spellcraft or heal on any of my character it was a stupid change and I refuse to use it because outlining why it was a bad idea and receiving massive support from the community didn't phase Turbine at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan
    There is little value in getting into an edition debate; as with anything, we create what we believe works best for DDO.

OP, I had the same position as you until it was pointed out that repair isn't a sorcerer skill. But I'd be pleased to see both added: heal for wizards, repair for sorcs.

2014 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by Khorae View Post
    Why does the heal skill govern the increase in negative spell power
    If you know how the healing works, you can use that knowledge to heal or to kill.

and why is the heal skill not a class skill for the wizard, a class that if the player chooses to go PM, needs more negative spell power?
    You want the lore answer, or the balance answer, or what? Here's some options:

Because even though some evil Wizards try to dabble in the knowledge of life and death, it's inherently in the realm of the divine, not the arcane.

Because Wizards are powerful enough already, and, being Int-based, already have an advantage in skill-spellpower over all the other caster classes.

Because that's what those classes get for class skills in actual D&D.

Because 12 spellpower out of, what, 300? More? Isn't a big deal either way.

Spellcraft aside, every other exception (rust, sonic, reconstruction, positive) lines up with the corresponding class’s class skill.
    No, they don't.

Sorcs don't get Repair for their Repair spells.
    Artis don't get Heal for their positive energy spells.
    Sorcs, Wizards, Artis, Clerics and FvSs don't get Perform for their Sonic spells
    Oh, and Sorcs don't get Heal, either, for the exact same spells available to Wiz.

Hero

Quote Originally Posted by Failedlegend View Post
    Personally I'm refusing to take spellcraft or heal on any of my character it was a stupid change and I refuse to use it because outlining why it was a bad idea and receiving massive support from the community didn't phase Turbine at all.
    I admire your resolve and agree it's stupid. If they made Spellcraft INT or CHA, it would solve a bunch of things, but they refuse.

The Mad Multiclasser Failedlegend's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SirValentine View Post
    Because that's what those classes get for class skills in actual D&D.
    That true...spellcraft, heal and repair also don't increase spell damage in PnP so that point is moot

Quote Originally Posted by Drwaz99 View Post
    I admire your resolve and agree it's stupid. If they made Spellcraft INT or CHA, it would solve a bunch of things, but they refuse.
    Actually I'd rather they removed spellcraft and the changes to heal/repair and made the spellpower boost reliant solely on your caster stat (ie. Wizard Int, Sorc Cha, Cleric Wis, Bard Cha,etc.) and ,ake it Universal Spell Power so PMs get their Positive spellpower, WFs get their repair,etc.

After that they could actually read some of the infinitely better ideas for Heal & Repair made by the community
    Last edited by Failedlegend; 08-21-2013 at 09:09 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan
    There is little value in getting into an edition debate; as with anything, we create what we believe works best for DDO.