Default Really Impressed

As a returning player gone for roughly two years, I have to say that the Turbine staff has really impressed me over the past month. Here are a handful of reasons why:

• The level of developer/representative communication I have seen on the forums is utterly staggering compared to the routine silence I remember from years ago (that memory admittedly may not be accurate, but accurate or not, it was the impression I had at the time.) Even something as simple as the "Read by QA" comments in bug threads was frankly really really nice to see.

Frequent, prompt, and accurate communication goes a LONG way in conveying care and concern, ESPECIALLY when interactions take place through the internet's veil of anonymity. When you can't look someone in the eye and judge their level of sincerity, it's very easy to start assuming unkind things about them and their intentions. But the amount and quality of communication compared to my memories from before are hard to argue with.

• The expansion launch went surprisingly smoothly. I was blown away when I checked the forums on my lunch break yesterday and saw that the servers were already up, and the General Forum was not filled with player reports of server crashing bugs. I know some people question whether or not the update was significant enough to qualify as an expansion. I also know that there are still some bugs around, and some of them are pretty big. But I also know that this was hands down one of the smoothest updates I have seen Turbine implement, and that gave me a lot of confidence.

• The removal of wand DC enhancements for rogues literally made me throw my hands up and whoop out loud. I didn't expect this to happen for MONTHS, if EVER. I could have included this in my next point, but for reasons I can't fully articulate, I felt like this deserved to be a point of it's own. A clear and timely response to player feedback such as shown here is something that seemingly NEVER would have happened a few years ago.

• I am really excited about the enhancement changes. I know there are several changes many players are unhappy about. I know that not all of the feedback offered by players on Lamannia has been acted upon. But even seeing a chunk of feedback taken into account - and in the mere timeframe of Lamannia to release as opposed to Lamannia to four or five updates later - is extremely heartening.

I'm impressed by the versatility afforded multiclass builds. I'm impressed with the variety of enhancements and the overall improved level of usefulness. Are there still enhancements I'd never touch with a 10ft pole? Sure. But I also (in most cases) no longer have to grit my teeth and embrace those enhancements (or even feats now in some cases) in order to access powerful prestige lines any more. Tempest rangers get three feats back. Rogue's don't have to drop AP on Hide and Move Silently enhancements to access Assassin.

Again, I realize that this point is not necessarily true for all classes and builds. But the degrees to which enhancements have improved; the degrees to which most things seem either fun, useful, or both; the degrees to which in a lot of cases things I don't want can now be avoided; in short, the degrees to which I can further customize my own character beyond simply selecting class levels; all of these make me really excited and confident about the direction the game is headed and about the likeliness of things players are unhappy with being addressed in a timely fashion.

In short, thanks, Turbine. (I didn't think I'd be saying that again....)

Quote Originally Posted by Timjc86 View Post
    As a returning player gone for roughly two years, I have to say that the Turbine staff has really impressed me over the past month. Here are a handful of reasons why:

[LIST][*]The level of developer/representative communication I have seen on the forums is utterly staggering compared to the routine silence I remember from years ago (that memory admittedly may not be accurate, but accurate or not, it was the impression I had at the time.) Even something as simple as the "Read by QA" comments in bug threads was frankly really really nice to see.
    Actualy it has only been within the last year that we have seen this and yes it is a breath of Fresh Air

Community Member Ironclans_evil_twin's Avatar

Yeah I hate to go from being a Hater yesterday back to being a fanboy today but I think maybe Producer Rowan can handle his stuff. No it's not your imagination: communication was atrocious up to a couple months ago, right when the lead producer changed. Not for nothing as the fans here have been belittling and disrespecting any Turbine person who's brave enough to poke his or her head in here chasing them away with "I'm anonymous therefor I can be a d-bag" behavior.

I came back after a year and I liked the changes (BB reduced the farming LFM's, new quests, ED's) I am overall happy with this pass and it most certainly is not the NGE that many feared. Yeah there's some stuff I don't like, and I'd have loved to see Turbine polish the re-speccing process and make all forms of respec (fred, AP resets) free temporarily, and LR timers removed for a month... but everything else looks mighty well done. (well except the inevitable bugs and the fact that no major MMO sites said anything about the Expansion on release day, Rowan crack the whip over at the PR dept. man those guys are asleep at the wheel.)

(don't worry I'll be a hater again just as soon as Postumus or Hendrick read my appraisal of the +20LR/Alignment change/triple class can't change into a different triple class ball dropping)
    Last edited by Ironclans_evil_twin; 08-20-2013 at 04:07 PM.

Community Member

/signed

The entire Turbine team has been awesome from the store to the devs to the QA team to the producers.

I agree, I think they did a good job with this one. Still working my way through figuring it out but it is so much smoother than a lot of games when you have this big of a change.

Kudos!