Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

So when I hit my thumb with my hammer, and it tears the skin open, that means I actually did slashing damage with my blunt tool? Boxing gloves can tear skin, are they slashing or piercing because of that? Just trying to sort out how bludgeoning weapons not working with a Piercing/Slashing based enhancement is a bug. The enhancement works on the base item type, not additional damage types, so I'd say that it's WAI. All the "it's a bug" claims just sort of sound like a justification to make an enhancement work with any weapon you pick up. How long until we start hearing how it doesn't work great swords, and should be fixed? Mauls? Bows?

Quote Originally Posted by kuro_zero View Post
    [Rapiers] are not light weapons but rather an exception usable with weapon finesse. Assassin 3 "Dagger in the Back" enhancement +DEX to dmg does not work with rapiers as they are not light weapons.
    Another odd exception is Shining Crescents. Its weapon type is "sickle", it is finesseable, but it is also a two-hander, thus gets 1.5 STR bonus to damage. It is also a ki weapon.
    "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder."

"Of course it is. Are YOU going to question beholder's artistic sense?"

+1

needs to be stickied/hall of fame
    The Funniest Thing I've Ever Read
    Toons: Twengor (pal), Margween (Bard/FTR/Rogue), Nestrana (wiz), Ammerlyn (Arti), Ostarin (Monk) on Cannith

The Mad Multiclasser Failedlegend's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ashlayna View Post
    So when I hit my thumb with my hammer, and it tears the skin open, that means I actually did slashing damage with my blunt tool? Boxing gloves can tear skin, are they slashing or piercing because of that? Just trying to sort out how bludgeoning weapons not working with a Piercing/Slashing based enhancement is a bug. The enhancement works on the base item type, not additional damage types, so I'd say that it's WAI. All the "it's a bug" claims just sort of sound like a justification to make an enhancement work with any weapon you pick up. How long until we start hearing how it doesn't work great swords, and should be fixed? Mauls? Bows?
    Ummm..no adding spikes to your handwraps makes it do piercing damage (brawling gloves) or bear and wolf CLAWS do piercing damage.

Also if were talking hammers the most common household hammer is also known as a "Claw" Hammer because it has a split spike on the other end for removing nails...THAT would cause piercing damage.

That said I just wanted to confirm it was still bugged like that so I could adjust my list to specify what it currently works with, if the bug is fixed I'll change it again.

Quote Originally Posted by Asmodeus451 View Post
    +1

needs to be stickied/hall of fame
    Thank you To be fair Cordovan did put it in his guide to guides thing

Quote Originally Posted by brian14 View Post
    Another odd exception is Shining Crescents. Its weapon type is "sickle", it is finesseable, but it is also a two-hander, thus gets 1.5 STR bonus to damage. It is also a ki weapon.
    Hmmm....well I gotta go do Canadian Thanksgiving right now but I'll look into that when I get home.
    Last edited by Failedlegend; 10-16-2013 at 01:26 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan
    There is little value in getting into an edition debate; as with anything, we create what we believe works best for DDO.

Quote Originally Posted by Failedlegend View Post
    Thank you To be fair Cordovan did put it in his guide to guides thing.
    well, thats something i guess
    The Funniest Thing I've Ever Read
    Toons: Twengor (pal), Margween (Bard/FTR/Rogue), Nestrana (wiz), Ammerlyn (Arti), Ostarin (Monk) on Cannith

Epic Midnight Greetings (kukris) is also a ki weapon, ddowiki says the non-epic version is too.
    The epic version also has dex to hit and damage and int mod to enhancement bonus (minimum +6, maximum +10)
    Last edited by knifefighter; 10-14-2013 at 02:58 PM. Reason: updated from wiki

Ki Weapons:
    Feat: Whirling Steel Strike (Longswords)
    Quote Originally Posted by Xeraphim View Post
    Fly? That would break every quest in the game. You would see folks falling from the sky in Korthos and dying. It would be a rain of newbs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dandonk View Post
    Yeah. It's not "we nuked the city from orbit", it's "the city experienced a brief population drop". Check.

Quote Originally Posted by Dagolar View Post
    Ki Weapons:
    Feat: Whirling Steel Strike (Longswords)
    Wow I can't believe I forgot about that.

Edit: Added
    Last edited by Failedlegend; 10-16-2013 at 10:38 AM.
    There is little value in getting into an edition debate; as with anything, we create what we believe works best for DDO.

Ummm..no adding spikes to your handwraps makes it do piercing damage (brawling gloves) or bear and wolf CLAWS do piercing damage.

That said I just wanted to confirm it was still bugged like that so I could adjust my list to specify what it currently works with, if the bug is fixed I'll change it again.
    No, it adds an additional damage type to the handwraps, with a base damage type of unarmed. Unarmed's base damage type is bludgeoning. A bear is just as likely to cave you skull in, bludgeoning, as rip your guts out, although both are possible, and a wolf should maybe be slashing for claws, or piercing for bites, and bears should be able to get piercing for bite, but I don't think the damage is calculated that way. Also, for a bear's bite, I'm not sure that it would qualify for Dex based. Of note to this is that the majority of bows do piercing damage, but don't count because the base is ranged. The bow I know for sure that fires blunt ammo is the bow of the silver flame from MotU, and it's base damage type is still ranged, so that's the IC feat you need to take to have it apply.

Quote Originally Posted by Ashlayna View Post
    No, it adds an additional damage type to the handwraps, with a base damage type of unarmed. Unarmed's base damage type is bludgeoning. A bear is just as likely to cave you skull in, bludgeoning, as rip your guts out, although both are possible, and a wolf should maybe be slashing for claws, or piercing for bites, and bears should be able to get piercing for bite, but I don't think the damage is calculated that way. Also, for a bear's bite, I'm not sure that it would qualify for Dex based. Of note to this is that the majority of bows do piercing damage, but don't count because the base is ranged. The bow I know for sure that fires blunt ammo is the bow of the silver flame from MotU, and it's base damage type is still ranged, so that's the IC feat you need to take to have it apply.
    Please lets not get into this here, for the purposes of this list I could care less whether its working correctly or not I only care how it currently works so my list can be utilized properly...I can tell you how wrong you are elsewhere.
    Last edited by Failedlegend; 10-17-2013 at 10:23 PM.

Added Harper and Swashbuckler enhancements to the guide

Can anyone clarify what "Missile" weapons mean for the swashbuckler int/cha/dex to damage (is it thrown, bow/xbows, all ranged weapon?)

Also feel free to suggest anything I missed/got wrong (remeber this is a guide as to how things currently work whether it's a bug or not is irrelevant so please if somehting is Not WAI please let me know so I can include how it's actually currently functioning)
    Last edited by Failedlegend; 11-10-2014 at 10:23 AM.

Added Harper and Swashbuckler enhancements to the guide

Can anyone clarify what "Missile" weapons mean for the swashbuckler int/cha/dex to damage (is it thrown, bow/xbows, all ranged weapon?)

Also feel free to suggest anything I missed/got wrong (remeber this is a guide as to how things currently work whether it's a bug or not is irrelevant so please if somehting is Not WAI please let me know so I can include how it's actually currently functioning)
    Int to hit & damage

artificer insightful strikes & damage effects any and all weapons not just crossbows & 1 hand melee.

Can anyone clarify what "Missile" weapons mean for the swashbuckler int/cha/dex to damage (is it thrown, bow/xbows, all ranged weapon?))
    Missile weapons are bows/xbows.

Quote Originally Posted by Oxarhamar View Post
    artificer insightful strikes & damage effects any and all weapons not just crossbows & 1 hand melee.
    Hmmm...seems you are correct...doesn't seem to effect anything in the off-hand (ie. whilst TWF or your shield)

Quote Originally Posted by JJMC895610 View Post
    Missile weapons are bows/xbows.
    Thanks I'll clarify that

doesn't wisdom affect DC of stunning fist and mass frog?

http://ddowiki.com/page/Stunning_Fist
    http://ddowiki.com/page/Mass_Frog

Hmmm...seems you are correct...doesn't seem to effect anything in the off-hand (ie. whilst TWF or your shield)
    I could be off been a long time since I TWF in an Arti but,

Equip weapon 1 main hand buff, equip weapon 2 main hand buff, equip TWF both buffed.

Quote Originally Posted by painkiller3 View Post
    doesn't wisdom affect DC of stunning fist and mass frog?

http://ddowiki.com/page/Stunning_Fist
    http://ddowiki.com/page/Mass_Frog
    Yes but thats the normal state for those abilities whereas acrobats dex trip is abnormal since trip is normally a Str ability...otherwise I'd be listing pretty much every ability.

If there a feat or enhancement called "Stunning" that made stunning fist use Charisma instead of Wisdom than it would be a candidate for this list.

the reason i mentioned it was because you included CHA as a save bonus for Paladins, which is normal for Divine Might.

Quote Originally Posted by painkiller3 View Post
    the reason i mentioned it was because you included CHA as a save bonus for Paladins, which is normal for Divine Might.
    Normal:

Reflex = Dex
    Fort = Con
    Will = Wis

W/ Divine Grace

Reflex = Dex + Cha
    Fort = Con + Cha
    Will = Wis + Cha

I can see your confusion but DG fulfills my "abnormal stat use" requirement.

Community Member

Update 26 introduced the Warlock, and the Feigned Health ability in T1 Tainted Scholar grants temp hit points equal to the warlock's Cha mod on any ally the warlock casts a spell on. The effect lasts 3 minutes. Would that be abnormal stat use enough for this guide?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast