Community Member

Default Poor man's end game melee sorcerer

-- Posting here from the sorc subforum.

I am pretty sure plenty of people have tried a Cetus build (https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...forged-Fighter) and failed to make it work in end game. The reason, more often than not, is the lack of crucial gear and not so much that you do not have the necessary twitch skills. In end game it becomes crucial to have 3 main things: 1) good DPS, if you copied Cetus the only reason not to have it is the lack of a good weapon; 2) self healing, with a bladeforged you should be fine, but in a Cetus you will need pots; 3) damage avoidance, meaning you need a reliable source of displacement.

So if I do not have the goodies, I cannot play an end game melee? Do I really need to run endless Shrouds to farm displacement clickies? This build is an attempt to make the standard centered "fighter" available to the populace (myself included).

The build: 12 sorcerer / 6 monk / 2 paladin staff build

12 sorcerer gives you plenty:

- Reconstruct: to heal when the bladeforged SLA is in cooldown.
    - A healthy amount of SP: well over 1k and the consumption of SP is not much higher than a regular Cetus / Zeus, so imagine how many saved pots.
    - Displacement: all you can eat!
    - Other goodies: dimension door, fireshield, shield and other handy buffs.

6 monk allows you to reach the t5 henshin enhancement

2 paladin for divine might and the saves

Ability points 36 points build

16 STR + 5 tome + some level ups (to reach OC)
    6 DEX +3 tome
    19 CON +3 tome
    11 INT +3 tome
    8 WIS +3 tome
    16 CHA + 3 tome + remaining level ups

You need a big investment in CON, tomes aside, since you have plenty of sorcerer levels with a very low HP dice. Aside of that, you want to have high STR (ideally to reach OC) and high CHA for the saves and the SP. I chose INT as a 4th stat to grab some skill points. If you do not have tomes / 36 points build, I would be careful lowering too much CON.

Enhancements

You want the bladeforged reconstruct SLA, t5 henshin, divine might and in my case some points into a savant to power energy burst. Yes, enhacement points are very tight in this build.

Epic destiny and twists

The build runs in LD (so far, I use it solo or in groups) and has twisted energy burst, the t1 turn undead ability (to be able to use divine might) and dance of flowers. Energy burst is a big investment and if you don't have plenty of destiny points or don't feel like struggling so much to keep it, it should be fine. I find it useful to keep the blitz up and it is cheap SP wise. Evasion mobs will avoid it most likely and the rest will often save for half, but it still does a healthy amount of damage (min around 1k). So if you chose to drop energy burst, you can invest the extra enhancement points into getting the ninja incorpor. and perhaps grim precision or any other melee ability.

The gear

The only big grind required here is shireth. Stout oak can simply not compete DPS wise, so you are going to have to run CITW (or use a box) to get it. It is still much better than aiming for an eSoS or a T3 TF weapon.

Q&A

Is this really and end game build?

Yes and no. If you do not have a 36 points build, some tomes, a healthy amount of twists, the destinies unlocked and reasonable gear you will most likely not have an easy time in end game. My point is that this build allows you to lower the time sink needed to pull a Cetus / Zeus style melee. So for someone who cannot or does not want to put so much effort in making and end game melee, this should be a simpler choice.

I am aware there are other caster / melee hybrids out there, such as Shoikan (https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...ader-Warpriest). Again, I think that those builds require far more grind than this one.

How is the DPS?

Perhaps the closest comparison is Zeus (https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...-and-Lightning). The DPS is clearly inferior, but it isn't laughable. In blitz, you will deal (in air stance) crits between 1k-2k, compared to the 1.5k-2.5k of a Zeus nd the double strike and attack speed is lower. Again, gear and twists are a key factor.

Are there any variations of this build you recommend?

There are other builds that give you utilities that you would need to farm. For instance, bards have good self healing and displacement and there is the juggernaut. What I attempted here is to get as close as possible to the standard centered kensei while providing some of the goodies you would need to farm through the build instead. Would a rogue version of this work? Probably, and doing it would be moving more from Cetus to Zeus, so to speak. With the drawback that you would lose the monk goodies. I am open to discussion, though, if you think that there is a split that clearly beats my current build.

Looks solid. Conceptually very similar to my 12 Wiz/6 Mnk/2 Rog build, but trades trap skills and Rogue staff enhancements for saves and Divine Might.

Lack of Rogue means you miss out on 8% doublestrike and 15% attack speed. I'd say it's doubtful if twisting Bane of Undeath recovers that loss. But saves should be much better across the board.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by giftie View Post
    Looks solid. Conceptually very similar to my 12 Wiz/6 Mnk/2 Rog build, but trades trap skills and Rogue staff enhancements for saves and Divine Might.

Lack of Rogue means you miss out on 8% doublestrike and 15% attack speed. I'd say it's doubtful if twisting Bane of Undeath recovers that loss. But saves should be much better across the board.

It is indeed worse DPS wise. An option is to do a sorc, rogue, paladin. Not sold on losing the monk, since you lose defensive options (shadow veil, for instance) and dodge. Your build is clearly more offensive oriented.

I would be curious to know what saves you manage to reach with your build and how do you handle group questing without blitz. I know the blitzing question is a general issue with melees, but nevertheless.

Overall, I am quite happy with it, mainly concerned with the fact that TFs tier 3 are going to be better with SWF or TWF and those are the ultimate trash killers. Again, a general melee concern.
    Last edited by BigErkyKid; 06-28-2014 at 07:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BigErkyKid View Post
    It is indeed worse DPS wise. An option is to do a sorc, rogue, paladin. Not sold on losing the monk, since you lose defensive options (shadow veil, for instance) and dodge. Your build is clearly more offensive oriented.

I would be curious to know what saves you manage to reach with your build and how do you handle group questing without blitz. I know the blitzing question is a general issue with melees, but nevertheless.

Overall, I am quite happy with it, mainly concerned with the fact that TFs tier 3 are going to be better with SWF or TWF and those are the ultimate trash killers. Again, a general melee concern.
    I was thinking about the same split, actually (12 Sorc/6 Rogue/2 Paladin). But the loss of Shadow Veil didn't bother me as much. Between 50% Displacement, 25% Dodge and 10% incorporeality, the effective increase in miss chance is only 6%. However, add in the loss of Monk Dodge and movement speed, cheap Ninja spy enhancements for Reflex and Dodge, Earth strike and saves (probably moot because of Divine Grace), and it starts to become very noticable.

If I remember correctly, I could reach 60+ Reflex with one of the twists. I recently reincarnated to Bladeforged (the innate Repair SLA is so much more powerful than an expensive non-meta'ed Repair capped at caster level 12), then came Swashbuckler and I got sidetracked. In groups I'd just use Divine Crusader instead of LD.

The Arcane/Rogue/Paladin is something I'd like to try, though. Still debating which of Wiz and Sorc would be the best platform. Sorc has more SP and better synergy with Divine Grace and Might, while Wizard gets free feats, more spells, flexible spell choice (Need True Seeing? Get True Seeing.) and better synergy with Reflex and skills.