Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by colibri_rocks View Post
    Disappointed first with combining forum and game accounts, and now with new enhancement system, I preordered shadowfell but it's definitely was money waste - devs just need new content, they don't care bugs fixing. No legacy, new enhancement system is just awful. so sad. just canceled my vip subscription, gonna check ddo in year or so
    There is no constructive criticism here.

I do have to say though, bug fixes in any development environment especially game studio happen separately too content so these things run side by side. Many patches have been released fixing bugs, and there are very few in DDO. Some are annoying and have persisted true, but on the whole all serious bugs get fixed in a timely and responsible manner. The new enhancement system is far more robust, easier to understand and flexible than the old system. You don't have to keep looking at "Show unavailable" all the time so you pick the right feats and enhancements. You have your tree, you can see what you can get by going x levels or by getting y feats and you do it.

The new content is great, as are the mechanic and gameplay changes. Hell I even rolled a Cleric this update, I never saw that coming, I can actually understand clerics now! However nothing fundamental has changed apart from the UI here and how I take the skills and enhancements.

So please tell us which bugs you are referring too?
    "(Party): [Party] Mislabeled: you were killed by Qrazydirections"

Community Member

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Zirun View Post
    What, to you, are the defining characteristics that make WoW (and other MMOs) WoW? What about DDO?

Were the old enhancements a defining, unique thing that gave the game its own niche? Or is it the active combat, character customization, familiar environments and ruleset, and good quest variety? You know, those things that used to be very different from other MMOs, and still are even after the enhancement pass.

To me, what makes this game is both the ability to play how I want and the active combat. I love theorycrafting, and I often spend otherwise free time (like bus rides) thinking on how to make my next build. I also love diving behind pillars and boxes at next-to-no HP, frantically trying to heal before the boss finds me. There's no other MMO (that I know of) and very few other games in general that can capture those things effectively.

Did you the old enhancements in a screenshot or video before playing the game and think "Holy ****, that looks amazing!"? Or were you like me and thought "An MMO based on D&D? That sounds pretty awesome!" The former sounds fairly ridiculous, yet I imagine the latter is exactly what a lot of people thought when they first tried DDO out. You can argue that DDO is far removed from D&D and that's a fair argument to have, but I think it's ridiculous to suggest that it's the old enhancements that made this game what it is in any way.
    Yes, I guess that was the unique selling point of DDO: "Were the old enhancements a defining, unique thing that gave the game its own niche?"

Seriously, I think the enhancements this way make far more sense for everyone who is not used to the old UI. And it really does seem to offer plenty of opportunity for new interesting builds, so I count it as a rejuvenation.

Community Member TheLegendOfAra's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vargouille View Post
    I appreciate this.

(We internally made a version of this for another class with somewhat similar results.)
    My problem with the enhancement pass for the most part is due to 2 things:

• The prereq of points per tree to get to the higher abilities in those trees.

• The way you split up enhancements that were before strictly a CLASS enhancement, part of that class's core abilities and NOT an offset of the different Pre's.

Strictly speaking(in my experience so far) of Ranger/Monk enhancements.

Favored Enemies are a very large part of being a RANGER. To take the Favored Enemy damage enhancements and put them into of the the Pre trees is in my mind very silly. Because they don't belong to AA, or Tempest, or Deepwood Stalker, they belong to ALL Rangers.

The exact same can be said for Monk Heal Amp. This is a part of being a Monk, NOT part of being a Dark Monk, or a Light Monk, or anything else.

Now, Had you left the point spent per tree bs. out of the equation this wouldn't have been such a big problem. I would have been able to take all of the enhancements my build needed. (Previously I had 4 AP I had to spend on something I didn't want. Now I have close to 35 AP spent on stuff I don't want, and do not need.) This, along with the changes to 10K stars(Why is this a feat now?) made my build completely unviable, and LR's simply wouldn't have fixed it and I was forced to TR to a different class split.

I think this would have been better if you had rearranged the trees better so that the enhancements that were simply generic class things(that had nothing to do with the Pre's) were on the first 2 tiers of the trees. That is, in keeping with the silly points spent per tree deal. Instead they are all over the place, some being in tier 4/5 of other trees which you either can't access due to lack of points, or because you already have other tier 5 stuffin a different tree.

Look, I get it's hard to come up with a way to do this that makes everyone happy, but what I don't understand is when everyone on the forums(even way back in pre alpha) says this is a bad idea, you just shrug it off, and ignore those concerns. I appreciate the work that went into this, but I still question the decisions behind that work.
    Araphina Skycrow - 15Paladin/3Ranger/2Fighter (Life 8/25) 5xRanger, 3xPaladin
    Araphell - Arasin - Arathaes - Arawyn - Aravein
    Guild: Fors Fortis;Guild of Won, & VENOM @ Argo
    "And we learn, as we age; We've learned nothing! And my body still aches."

Miasto Stołeczne Warszawa (The Capital City of Warsaw)

Quote Originally Posted by Grosbeak07 View Post
    Not my fault you choose to play that way.
    For (almost) 4 years I've been playing this game 'select enemy, autoattack' was the only thing barbarians was doing after using their rages and boosts. When I joined, cleave attacks and FB cleaves was considered worthless by players and guides, and autoattack was the way to go.

Then cleaves got boost, and barbs whined they have to click buttons to activate them.

The most complains about enhancement pass was about barbarians (and other classes) having so much active abilities, and needing to push buttons to produce good DPS instead of autoattacking their way to victory.
    There were even peoples, complaining that enabling divine might on paladins once per minute is too much button mashing for them.

Now, for first time, we got active combat in DDO, and that's the only part on enchancement pass I like, but lots of people are against it.

I didn't chose that way to play, I was mostly playing casters, and lately warpriest.
    It was the choice of almost entire player base to play autoattack only. And nothing more was really required.
    Quote Originally Posted by Originally Posted by Random Person #2 View Post
    People who exploit bugs in code are cheaters cheaters cheaters. And they are big fat ****yheads too.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Chai View Post
    Thats just it, I dont hate WOW. I just understand that people are drawn to this game because its a niche game and has a niche following, and because it is NOT like other cookie cutter MMOs. While many games do try to be a clone in order to attract that audience, this one does not, or it did not for the longest time. Making the game look and feel more like games this niche crowd is not interested in can be a step in the wrong direction. New games can get away with that because they dont already have a 7 year term client base in which the majority of folks are attracted to what makes this game different - and thus are competing for the same users.

There are some good things WOW does that DDo could learn from - namely raid encounter design. They can keep their interface however.
    Personally, I don't know from WoW. So this UI is fairly fresh to me (closest I've seem is probably Diablo 2). That said, it seems a major improvement over the old UI in that it clearly shows what is available and needed to get it.

About the only niche argument for the old was that it's complexity and layout kept the "lazy" away. Anyone not willing to pay their dues by studying the game to the point that they know what's good and what's worthless and how things fit together simply aren't up to their standards.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vellrad View Post
    For (almost) 4 years I've been playing this game 'select enemy, autoattack' was the only thing barbarians was doing after using their rages and boosts. When I joined, cleave attacks and FB cleaves was considered worthless by players and guides, and autoattack was the way to go.

Then cleaves got boost, and barbs whined they have to click buttons to activate them.

The most complains about enhancement pass was about barbarians (and other classes) having so much active abilities, and needing to push buttons to produce good DPS instead of autoattacking their way to victory.
    There were even peoples, complaining that enabling divine might on paladins once per minute is too much button mashing for them.

Now, for first time, we got active combat in DDO, and that's the only part on enchancement pass I like, but lots of people are against it.

I didn't chose that way to play, I was mostly playing casters, and lately warpriest.
    It was the choice of almost entire player base to play autoattack only. And nothing more was really required.
    This game really doesn't have a true auto-attack as the player still has to move with the target. True auto-attack follows targets around on it's own. So even in that it's more active than most games I've played. Mostly just a way of getting around needing to use the same button to attack as to click all those hot bar icons.

There are reasons that WoW (and other MMOs) are successful.
    They aren't currently successful. Losing players is by anyone's definition unsuccessful. There is a difference between coasting on PAST success, and being currently successful. There are VERY few MMOs that are currently successful.

The old enhancements are not easy to figure out.
    Right. This was a MAJOR deterrent to playing the game. But instead of fixing that bad situation, they made it worse. It is clear that what the developers WANTED was a simpler system, but being the metagamers that they are - they weren't actually willing to part with their "goodies." So now, instead of having to figure out how to make a Water Savant, you have to figure out how to make a Water and Air savant, all in one...

This wasn't the case before?
    Well of course people didn't get to design their own stat augmentations. They still don't. Taking hide and move silently II for a ranger that already had stealth in the 60s wasn't particularly useful, no. It didn't hurt, either, and simply acted as a semi-interesting COST to obtaining a specialization. Removing costs just make it HARDER to decide how to proceed with an enhancement system - you can buy so much now that it's a major chore deciding what NOT to take.

Now look at the enhancements you can get for 3 Rogue or less. Full Wand & Scroll Mastery, Sneak Attack Training, and Action Boosts.
    Did you read what you wrote? You listed about 5 things in each enhancement system that are (or will be) popular. Nothing really changed there. Rogue actually has very little in the way of enhancements that are highly desirable across a huge variety of builds. I wound up ignoring Thief-Acrobat completely, and taking about the same levels of sneak attack in Assassin that I could before. Mechanic was mostly ignored except on my previously mechanic character.

Yet some of the trees have lots of stuff that EVERYONE would find desirable. The metagaming is so palpable you might need to cut it with a knife. My Kensei has levels of rogue - yet somehow didn't feel the need to stray outside the kensei tree much...

With the ability to take enhancements that provide non-STR abilities to damage,...
    For taking such a metagame view, you aren't very good at metagaming. The sources for buffing STR in this game have been vastly superior to sources for buffing any other stat. Even if you started with 8 STR and 18 DEX, and put all levels up in DEX, you can still probably get your STR higher than your DEX for at least 30 seconds at a time. The dex-to-damage issue wasn't really an issue for any real metagamer, and the rest of us didn't care about the loss of 4 or 5 points of damage. Yes, my dex-based bard that started with minimum strength took the new enhancement. It currently will add about 3 points of damage... wheee!!!

Pure builds are generally at a disadvantage, partly due to a lack of trees available. Sorcs, for instance, only really have 1 tree at the moment.
    If you needed a clue that you don't know what you are talking about, these two sentences should do the trick. Basically every sorceror now has 2 trees to work from, and pure builds are the only ones that get to take that final core step of becoming an elemental of their element. It's NOT a minor thing, either. I fully expect most sorcerors to be complete savants (except for the top tier abilities) in two elements. And I also expect Air to continue to be the most popular for the one tree of tier 5.

If my sorceror wasn't doing almost double the damage as she was before, I'd feel gimped. Now it's only the content that is massively gimped...
    Last edited by Raithe; 08-21-2013 at 10:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vellrad View Post

Active combat isn't about clicking buttons (although that helps)... it's about movement and position. If you just stand there in front of a mob with auto-attack on, then you're playing a very ineffective melee.

I don't know anyone who ever used auto-attack (except for some boring raid bosses who didn't move).
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Troll View Post
    We are no more d000m'd then we were a week ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eth View Post
    When you stop caring about xp/min this game becomes really fun. Trust me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary_Gygax
    No single character has all the skills and resources needed to guarantee success in all endeavors; favorable results can usually only be achieved through group effort. No single player character wins, in the sense that he or she defeats all other player characters; the goal of the forces of good can only be attained through cooperation, so that victory is a group achievement rather than an individual one.

BIG LOL! DDO getting to be like WoW?! AAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH....that is so far out its just...slightly creepy in a psychotic kind of way.

Enhancement rework is AWESOME. There are some minor things I smashed my head into, like if you multiclass sorcerer with anything and that the sorcerer windows then take up all the 5 window slots you see. Little did I know there was a little arrow on the right side of the enhancement window that scrolled further to the right so you could get to the other class windows.

I have done a TON of work on my alts (I have 27 characters on my main account) and all I can say is WELL DONE TURBINE! I like how it is done. I love some of the new stuff like Arcane Archer and Bard Virtuoso. Most of my characters came out a lot more powerfull than before. I also used the free LR (yes you all got a new free LR PLUS the +20 heart) to rework the Spellcraft, Heal and Repair skills where needed. I kept seeing/hearing how the Favored Soul "healer" was now dead. HOW?! Mine has never been more effective (max Heal skill and Spellcraft) even as a pure FvS.

Sure, I did run into a couple of problems pertaining to race choice and multiclassing. The only way I can get it fixed is by TR'ing. I'll just have to live with that.

But the insinuations that the enchancement pass is somehow a WoW-ification of DDO is just rubbish. WoW didnt invent that. In fact, WoW didnt invent a single damn thing. There was nothing innovative about WoW. All they did was pick stuff from prior games and mash it together in a very good way. WoW -was- fun. Nowadays its just too oversimplified and boring, but thats another story.

DDO needed a better interface for enhancements. I cant tell the times I told people to uncheck the "Show Unavailable" box so that they could see the prestige classes and know the requirements to unlock them. It was a very very bad design. I love the new one and hope to see more prestige classes and stuff being introduced later on. There are limits to how much the developers can do in the time they had alloted before launch, and thats ok. What we got is great and Im fine with that.

My only beef would be to please try to tone down a little the Astral Shard and DDO Store pushing. I know you need to earn money, but try to be a -little- more subtle please because it gets anoying.
    Member and owner of "The Mad Midgets" of Khyber.
    Characters; Skrangle, Eileenia, Thyrantraxus, Clonkstar, Eilert, Nidvisa, Sellyse, Lobotobias, Crimsoneye, Whimpsy, Meeep, Maszter, Andromansis etc

Community Member

A handful of people here on these forums are calling it the NGE of DDO. If you're not aware, the NGE was a radical change in Star Wars Galaxies that essentially killed off the game. People have also called previous large changes (AC, Epic, and I'm sure all the way back to and past WoP nerfs) the worst thing to ever happen, the thing that will kill the game, etc.

A lot of people complaining about the changes are also doing so based off of misunderstandings, or obstinance. That's what I'm trying to fix on these forums; the ideas that the new enhancements are all terrible and will kill the game.

The game's as active as you want it to be. Use active enhancements, dodge spells, run monsters through traps, kite monsters. Or don't. Up to you.

I agree that the game should not become like WoW. Becoming a clone would indeed effectively kill this game. The problem with people complaining that the new enhancements turned this game into WoW is that it didn't. The UI looks more like WoW, but only because WoW had the best interface in this instance. It's like hating the sky because your mortal enemy likes blue, thus you hate blue. The only reason you hate blue is just that: because you hate it. There's no actual link between the sky and your mortal enemy except the one you perceive.

That doesn't mean that perceived WoW-ification can't hurt the game, even if it's only perceived. One of my fears with the new enhancements is that a lot of people will be turned away from it simply because it looks like WoW, thus hurting the game.

That's a problem with almost any aspect of an MMO. Old gear that you may have farmed weeks or months for becomes invalidated. Overpowered (or even simply popular) builds/classes/spells get nerfed. I wasn't around back then, but I'm sure lots of people were screaming their lungs out over the WoP changes and whatnot that happened years upon years ago and subsequently didn't cause the rapture to occur.

At least with this change, the provided +20 hearts to everybody, which should take care most of the problems when it comes to an existing character no longer being good/valid/viable/overpowered/fun/whatever. When, for instance, dedicated AC tanks were nerfed by having their physical (near-)invulnerability nerfed to being merely really good defenses with the AC pass, they were essentially stuck with what they had, and any fixes would either come out of their pocket or their time doing something like TRing.

What an amazing post, this pretty much sums it all up right here, great post.

Community Member

If you're going to hate, hate for legitimate reasons!
    Fine. The problem with the enhancement pass isn't the new tree format (it's perfectly fine). But you can't defend the actual problem.

The problem with the enhancement pass is that it is full of stuff that adds to the ever-growing and utterly unnecessary power creep of the game. Boatloads of new abilities that deal +0.5-+5 [W] in heroic levels, stacked on top of the terrible new weapon features (+6 total weapons are +0.5 [W], new prefixes and suffixes, vorpal rapiers and handwraps).

DDO already suffers from being too much of a slug-fest due to Orange/Red/Purple name immunities and stupidly high hit points even in Heroic levels. Seriously, nothing in the game should have 25,000 hit points. That's just moronic.

But as the PC raw damage creeps up, so to will the hit points of bad guys who already have design problems (aforementioned hit points, eternal spell points, etc), making things even more slug-festy, which has been a problem for a while (see the nerfing of vorpal, disruption, banishing, smiting, stat damagers, and damage to helpless opponents).

So yeah, it terms of raw, versatile build potential, the new enhancement pass isn't bad. In terms of effect on the game and continuing escalation, it's a horrible design decision.

Yes! Please, take away our power! I cant take being such a powerful hero anymore! I want to be a farmer with a pitchfork!

Come on man, this is the way all MMO's work. For an MMO to evolve it must extend the character development in some fashion. Higher levels and more powerful items and enemies is a natural way to extend the game. You just keep adding bricks to the foundation that is already there. Although I will say that it is extremely cheesy with CR30-40 animals and such. For me though, I just try to look past that. It's not really about the technicalities. It's about a single question. "Am I having fun?". For me the answer is yes, I am having fun. But that will change as it always does. We grow bored playing the same old stuff over and over. And voila! We get another higher base of bricks built into the game. New stuff, new fun and we keep playing until we get bored again. Rinse repeat ad nauseum.
    Member and owner of "The Mad Midgets" of Khyber.
    Characters; Skrangle, Eileenia, Thyrantraxus, Clonkstar, Eilert, Nidvisa, Sellyse, Lobotobias, Crimsoneye, Whimpsy, Meeep, Maszter, Andromansis etc

Community Member

see below

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gargahrensis View Post
    One of the most common complaints is that the new enhancements are too "WoW-like".

Firstly: Why is that a bad thing? There are reasons that WoW (and other MMOs) are successful. One of them is being easy to figure out. The old enhancements are not easy to figure out. Not only that, but the old enhancements were already in a tree format, they were just really bad at it!
    I play DDO for a reason. It isn't World of Warcraft.

Community Member

Default half a loaf sucks when you ordered soup

Quote Originally Posted by HAL View Post
    Who cares if it's not the worst thing? Does it have to be the worst thing to have bad parts?
    Exactly. The other thing is that it wouldn't have been nearly so bad if they had just polished more, and developed more fun, new stuff for people. That and the stupid gating imechanic they seemed married to. The sense that they are nerfing/frustrating the players just to be able to make a buck via the store is pretty strong also.

Not giving AP for "increased level cap" is also BS. At least in WoW, you get to spend your treee points for every level.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by TheLegendOfAra View Post
    My problem with the enhancement pass for the most part is due to 2 things:

• The prereq of points per tree to get to the higher abilities in those trees.

• The way you split up enhancements that were before strictly a CLASS enhancement, part of that class's core abilities and NOT an offset of the different Pre's.

Strictly speaking(in my experience so far) of Ranger/Monk enhancements.

Favored Enemies are a very large part of being a RANGER. To take the Favored Enemy damage enhancements and put them into of the the Pre trees is in my mind very silly. Because they don't belong to AA, or Tempest, or Deepwood Stalker, they belong to ALL Rangers.

The exact same can be said for Monk Heal Amp. This is a part of being a Monk, NOT part of being a Dark Monk, or a Light Monk, or anything else.
    This is the problem I have with the new enhancement trees. The tree itself is great it's the way they made them progress. Favored enemy is unreachable for aa archers unless you really gimp the aa tree. I also lost 6 points of dex. due to the fact that my toon is drow ranger with 1 lvl of rogue. Before I could take dex for elven and dex for rogue. Now it's not possible it's just to far out of reach for the points I have to spend. Getting a dex nerf for ranger or rogue is not a good thing. Please rearrange these trees at least.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Grahson View Post
    This is the problem I have with the new enhancement trees. The tree itself is great it's the way they made them progress. Favored enemy is unreachable for aa archers unless you really gimp the aa tree. I also lost 6 points of dex. due to the fact that my toon is drow ranger with 1 lvl of rogue. Before I could take dex for elven and dex for rogue. Now it's not possible it's just to far out of reach for the points I have to spend. Getting a dex nerf for ranger or rogue is not a good thing. Please rearrange these trees at least.
    Um... Your trolling is showing. If you were a splash, then there was NO WAY for you to get 6 Dex from enhancements

the only way for a ranger to get 6 or more points of dex in the old enhancements was to have 2 from the capstone, 1 or 2 from racial, and 2 or 3 from ranger. Another thing, Stat enhancements for the same stat from different classes never stacked. Also, you needed 2 levels of any class to qualify for the class-stat enhancement. So, please stop trolling, because you're bad at it. Good trolls at least don't use easily identifiable lies.

favored enemy isn't "unreachable" favored damage requires 23 points, leaving 57 points for the AA tree, or 40 points for AA and 17 points for Elven racial. So, it's only "unreachable" if you decide there are other things you'd like more. Honestly, i think the ranger trees are some of the best designed one's there are. I can look into each one and see things i'd like either in a splash, a pure 20 tempest, AA or DWS. Can i get everything I want? Probably not, but that just means they did a great job in making so many things i want.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12