Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Community Member

Default Can't Enter Dungeons or Wilderness With Mixed Heroic Epic Parties

I am in a small guild and we often group together to chat while we do our own things.

Unfortunately, there is a new lockout in place that will not let anyone enter an epic area while a heroic toon is in the party, and vice versa.

This gets hugely annoying really quickly. We are constantly having to break party and reform to accommodate this silly rule. At one point one member finished heroic Offering Of Blood while the rest of the party was halfway through one of the new epic quests. He couldn't leave the dungeon! It wouldn't let him back into Sands. He had to /death out. That is just nuts.

There had to have been a better way to deal with whatever fight club this was addressing.

Level 14s can't even enter The Vale of Twilight with a level 8 in the party.

So much for grouping together with your friends, despite level differences.

Gee... I guess it really can effect me when other people do something exploitive...
    Now excuse me while I wander off to arm myself with Grilled Cheese Sandwiches and hunker down behind my Armored Beer Refrigerator, while I have the UFO's take control of the Congresional Wives with the help of the International Cocaine Smugglers and the Evil Geniuses for a Better Tomorrow - btw, do you have change for 10 million population?

Quote Originally Posted by PermaBanned View Post
    Gee... I guess it really can effect me when other people do something exploitive...
    Aside from inflating the value of platinum, you mean. ;P

That's a pretty awful new addition; my guild is a social/teamwork guild, so we group readily just to give advice, or whatnot. This'd really sting for us.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xeraphim View Post
    Fly? That would break every quest in the game. You would see folks falling from the sky in Korthos and dying. It would be a rain of newbs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dandonk View Post
    Yeah. It's not "we nuked the city from orbit", it's "the city experienced a brief population drop". Check.

Community Member

Gee... I guess it really can effect me when other people whine about something allegedly exploitive...
    ftfy
    http://myaccount.turbine.com

Je ne suis pas
    DDO Alpha Tester

U19 : the rise of guild teamspeak channels.
    Owy Evoker FvS / Praledric Completionist Qstaff Rogue/Monk/Druid / Laraeph DC Wizard / Laraelph AA Monk/Ranger/Pally / Gaenry Shiradi Sorc/FvS/Wiz / Reasis SWF Pally & numerous others
    The Leveller for DDO!

Forum Turtle
    2014 DDO Players Council

YOU can do something about it on your end, get one of the various chat program options. The most popular ones off the top of my head are TeamSpeak, Vent, Skype. They have the added benefit of not limiting the party to six either, so if you have 8 people in your small guild all can join in the fun. And they also have the joy of individual volume control so you can tone down the dude who breaks your eardrums and turn up the whisperer.

They're pretty much better than in game chat on the whole, and the complete control you have as a user makes them totally worth the marginal effort of learning to use one of them. Also, when Turbine is down, guildmates can still chit chat. Or the dude playing Skyrim for a few hours can still chat with his guildmates in social guilds.
    Turtel, Turtley Wrath, Tortoisse, Waterssong, Victerr Creed, Utahraptor, Velocaraptor, Minddancer, Loggerhead, Matamata, Sulcata, Ticerratops, Sierrann, Hankx, Shartelhane

Member of Highlords of Malkier! Help channel, everyone welcome in this channel!

Quote Originally Posted by Katie_Seaglen View Post
    I am in a small guild and we often group together to chat while we do our own things.

Unfortunately, there is a new lockout in place that will not let anyone enter an epic area while a heroic toon is in the party, and vice versa.

This gets hugely annoying really quickly. We are constantly having to break party and reform to accommodate this silly rule. At one point one member finished heroic Offering Of Blood while the rest of the party was halfway through one of the new epic quests. He couldn't leave the dungeon! It wouldn't let him back into Sands. He had to /death out. That is just nuts.

There had to have been a better way to deal with whatever fight club this was addressing.
    Good,Im glad it fixed,Im tired of getting random tells from people asking me to open Epic for them.

So - if there was a method to defeat this new grouping policy, would that make the method an exploit?

Just checking. Don't want to get into trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by TrinityTurtle View Post
    YOU can do something about it on your end, get one of the various chat program options. The most popular ones off the top of my head are TeamSpeak, Vent, Skype. They have the added benefit of not limiting the party to six either, so if you have 8 people in your small guild all can join in the fun. And they also have the joy of individual volume control so you can tone down the dude who breaks your eardrums and turn up the whisperer.

They're pretty much better than in game chat on the whole, and the complete control you have as a user makes them totally worth the marginal effort of learning to use one of them. Also, when Turbine is down, guildmates can still chit chat. Or the dude playing Skyrim for a few hours can still chat with his guildmates in social guilds.
    Point is, despite "options", I shouldn't have to run a social program to play in a social program. The internal chat system is far from robust, and could use an update.

Oh, and how can I type in those programs from within DDO? Great for voice, yes, but I'd have to leave DDO's window focus to type chat within Skype and TS, as far as I know.

Forum Turtle
    2014 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by DocHawkeye View Post
    Point is, despite "options", I shouldn't have to run a social program to play in a social program. The internal chat system is far from robust, and could use an update.

Oh, and how can I type in those programs from within DDO? Great for voice, yes, but I'd have to leave DDO's window focus to type chat within Skype and TS, as far as I know.
    To type yah, but you can type in your guild chat and never have to leave the window. And I don't know about Skype and vent as I use teamspeak, but the window is small and you can call it up over the window and have both open. I also believe there is a keyboard shortcut to call it up only when you want it, but I never use it and forget what it is. There is no logical reason for Turbine to undo the level ban that was implemented to prevent exploitation. And if you're main issue with my suggestion to help yourself instead of demanding Turbine do for you is that you can't easily type to your guildies, I do have to wonder why it didn't just occur to you to type in guild chat to accomplish this.

And I apologize, I took this as you were looking for a solution, not an entitlement "turbine needs to set things up the way I want them" thread. I'll leave you to it!
    Turtel, Turtley Wrath, Tortoisse, Waterssong, Victerr Creed, Utahraptor, Velocaraptor, Minddancer, Loggerhead, Matamata, Sulcata, Ticerratops, Sierrann, Hankx, Shartelhane

Member of Highlords of Malkier! Help channel, everyone welcome in this channel!

Community Member Ironclans_evil_twin's Avatar

The real problem here is that Turbine still has the outmoded idea that allowing a 19 to group with 25's is a bad thing. Powerleveling long since became far less of a potential issue than the very real problem of having too few players spread out too thinly and thus harder to find groups.

I wish someone at Turbine had experience with other MMO's that use excellent mentor and sidekick style grouping (player level handicapping) mechanics in other games. There's just no reason to enforce a bad design choice.

It's like window farming... they officially okayed that as a way to avoid silly return trips to quest givers (why not just get rid of red text entirely... how much different is it to let a 19 group with some 20-25's? Honestly who gives a cr@p if someone wants to pike a character past a level range, or flag a character for content before they're 20 (in all probablity so he or she can join guildies in what they are doing). People who "powerlevel" are more than capable of keeping their multiboxed toons no more than 4 levels below them, the only thing disallowing wider ranged groups does is punish people who don't care about XP and just want to run with their guildies that night.

Anti-Powerleveling is a outmoded and grouping/social punitive idea that became obsolete years ago.

Uber Uber Completionist
    2014 DDO Player Council
    The Stormreach Campaign
    Scotland - where the dwarf accents come from

Popping a hire causes this problem too.

We found this earlier when someone had their level 17 owlbear out and nobody who was not already in the Wheloon Prison Epic wilderness area could get in - it didn't affect those already in.

Founder

And I apologize, I took this as you were looking for a solution, not an entitlement "turbine needs to set things up the way I want them" thread. I'll leave you to it!
    Wow, I didn't see a need for nastyness. I guess that's just you...

I agree that in a social game there should be no need for outside methods for socializing. Of course they got rid of MyDDO as well so I guess Turbine just disagrees on principle.

Had the same problem last night

I could enter Litany for boss-flagging, but had to leave in waves to get into the Wilderness to complete the flagging. Yay?

So is it a matter of epic characters not being able to group with heroic at all? So hypothetically, If someone wanted to group his level 19 character with someone else's 21 for ToD flagging they couldn't do it even though those characters are level appropriate for the quests? That would seem to me to be the cure being worse than the disease. (And honestly, who is is hurting to allow 18+ into epic content? It could be a TR perk )

As to hanging out with your friends in general, DDO has an absolute garbage voice chat client. Really, really bad. I might not have noticed except my guild now uses Raidcall ( http://www.raidcall.com/v7/index.html ) and the voices are so clear you would think your friends were in the same room.
    Dontbleed----Velvetelvis----Bleedout----Whatsina
    Synergia
    Argo

actually im ok with this. this is to prevent any people being in areas they shouldnt be in. while it might be a bit annoying you might have to reform around it im ok with this change. people need to play the game for the way it was meant not shortcuts

Quote Originally Posted by rjbutchko View Post
    So is it a matter of epic characters not being able to group with heroic at all? So hypothetically, If someone wanted to group his level 19 character with someone else's 21 for ToD flagging they couldn't do it even though those characters are level appropriate for the quests? That would seem to me to be the cure being worse than the disease. (And honestly, who is is hurting to allow 18+ into epic content? It could be a TR perk )

As to hanging out with your friends in general, DDO has an absolute garbage voice chat client. Really, really bad. I might not have noticed except my guild now uses Raidcall ( http://www.raidcall.com/v7/index.html ) and the voices are so clear you would think your friends were in the same room.
    i dont think that is the same thing because that is fine for the level area. amrath is 19-21 elite slayer is 15-24. if you fit those levels you're fine. i think its more of when people try to go into areas they are not suppose to be in.

Community Member

To type yah, but you can type in your guild chat and never have to leave the window. And I don't know about Skype and vent as I use teamspeak, but the window is small and you can call it up over the window and have both open. I also believe there is a keyboard shortcut to call it up only when you want it, but I never use it and forget what it is. There is no logical reason for Turbine to undo the level ban that was implemented to prevent exploitation. And if you're main issue with my suggestion to help yourself instead of demanding Turbine do for you is that you can't easily type to your guildies, I do have to wonder why it didn't just occur to you to type in guild chat to accomplish this.

Rough day?

hahaha! Nice.

Uhm...it's actually "I guess it really does affect me when the programming fix to other people's exploits is a sledge hammer approach."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast