Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Community Member

Default XP farming stratgies?

So, with the new xp repetition penalties (which are horrible, devs) I feel like there's nothing left for my level 17 character to do today. I've done 2 litany runs, and I don't want to do anymore because I want the xp penalty to vanish come tomorrow, and most of the other level 15 quests on elite, and they're all horrible xp even with bravery. I don't want to start on level 16 quests just yet since I need to preserve the bravery for when I'm level 18 and need even more xp.

Anyone got any good ideas on efficient xp gaining on the higher levels on a legend build? I feel like if I run litany 10 times in a day as I would in previous lives is just shooting myself in the foot since I'll need those runs with a lower repeat penalty.

I realize that the new repetition penalties (which are horrible) will overall give you more xp per run if you space them out, but there's no way to reach the same amount of xp per real time, which is the main issue at level 15+ on a 36 pt build.

Quote Originally Posted by Ytteri View Post
    snip
    Buy more xp pots or stones// boxes .
    I am 100% sure this is the strategy turbine wishes us to take !

I think you're using outdated logic in regards to the level issues that occur in the high teens. XP was hard to get there due to repeat penalties so you had to hold off doing content until you were in the right bracket. That is no longer the case with dungeon ransack.

I'm sure there's an optimal path which people will take some time to discover but I don't think we need to be so worried about it anymore. Also there's more Eveningstar content around those levels as well now.

Dungeon Ransack should be quite beneficial to level progression once we get used to it; of course there's quite a difference between 'should' and 'is'.

Quote Originally Posted by Mudcnd View Post
    Buy more xp pots or stones// boxes .
    I am 100% sure this is the strategy turbine wishes us to take !
    Agreed except in my case it will mean play ddo one day then play FFXIV ARR the next 2 days then DDO one day then FF for 2 days etc etc. It wont make me go to the lfm anymore either I will still duo things with my wife.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan
    Insulting the development team is not allowed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jendrak
    Somebody should definitely explain to Turbine that when they roll up a new GM that INT is not dump stat.

2016 DDO Players Council Qhualor's Avatar

the thing that sucks is that there are only 2 ways to run some of those level 15 and up quests that are in Eveningstar. get the PDK favor before you TR or run the LOD chain. so the whole standard staying 2 levels above base quest goes out the window and at 15 or 16 you run the chain just so you can run those level 15 quests. if there were some new level 15 and 16 quests in Eberron, there would be more quests to run in that level range. we got what we wanted, more quests, but it wasn't exactly what I think some people had in mind.

xp farming like before is pretty much dead now, unless you enjoy the huge penalty. best bet for now, at least until the xp curve change, is to either TR at least 2 characters alternating days or run all the quests in that level range 1 -2 times a day. maybe more people will know rat maze now

I don't want to start on level 16 quests just yet since I need to preserve the bravery for when I'm level 18 and need even more xp.
    Why not run them now? You'll get to run them again the next day with the 20% bonus again.

Or run some of the level 14 quests again on hard... With the 20% first-time bonus, they're still decent xp
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Troll View Post
    We are no more d000m'd then we were a week ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eth View Post
    When you stop caring about xp/min this game becomes really fun. Trust me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary_Gygax
    No single character has all the skills and resources needed to guarantee success in all endeavors; favorable results can usually only be achieved through group effort. No single player character wins, in the sense that he or she defeats all other player characters; the goal of the forces of good can only be attained through cooperation, so that victory is a group achievement rather than an individual one.

So, with the new xp repetition penalties (which are horrible, devs) I feel like there's nothing left for my level 17 character to do today. I've done 2 litany runs, and I don't want to do anymore because I want the xp penalty to vanish come tomorrow, and most of the other level 15 quests on elite, and they're all horrible xp even with bravery. I don't want to start on level 16 quests just yet since I need to preserve the bravery for when I'm level 18 and need even more xp.

Anyone got any good ideas on efficient xp gaining on the higher levels on a legend build? I feel like if I run litany 10 times in a day as I would in previous lives is just shooting myself in the foot since I'll need those runs with a lower repeat penalty.

I realize that the new repetition penalties (which are horrible) will overall give you more xp per run if you space them out, but there's no way to reach the same amount of xp per real time, which is the main issue at level 15+ on a 36 pt build.
    Run it 2x log out, look for something else to play, log in the next day for 2x runs. Pretty soon though the something else might take over and ddo might get uninstalled. That's my plan, and for the life of me I don't understand a company making a system that encourages looking for other games because of an xp system wait time, instead of encouraging me to play their game.

Quote Originally Posted by Charononus View Post
    Run it 2x log out, look for something else to play, log in the next day for 2x runs. Pretty soon though the something else might take over and ddo might get uninstalled. That's my plan, and for the life of me I don't understand a company making a system that encourages looking for other games because of an xp system wait time, instead of encouraging me to play their game.
    2 runs per 18 hours.... What's the XP/min work out to be on that?

Make new habits and go play another quest.

A good strategy would be running every quest at your level a single time per day.
    ~~~ ~ ~~~ turning each thread into a p2w discussion since 2012 ~~~ ~ ~~~

Community Member

Run it 2x log out, look for something else to play, log in the next day for 2x runs.
    I think what you meant to say was:

Run Litany 2x

Run Rainbow 2x

Run RWTD 2x

Run ETK 2x

Run Monastery 2x

Run [insert high XP quest here] 2x

Pretty sure you can fill a day with good XP quests like this, and the XP will never dry up. Unless you're planning on playing 12+ hours a day, you won't run out of content doing this. Not to mention that 1-and-done Elite BB runs give even more XP now with the daily 20% bonus on each quest.

you're trying to apply an old strategy (aka outdated) that now doesnt work

lemme tell you, ppl haven been capping w/o need to farm any single quest, and they did w/o that 20% extra xp in 1st run of the day

how? they run lvl 17 quests (on elite 19) at lvl 17

now tell me you don't have enough quests to run 1 time each diff from 15 to 17
    do the same tomorrow, if you hit 16, then move to quests lvl 16 to 18

do u need the bravery bonus? maybe u think so, pretty sure u're getting more xp with the 20% extra xp per day, just don't know it because the xp/min obssession

don't get wrong, xp/min was killing ddo, xp/min is a term used in those korean mmo games(even wow did ROflmao) where u have to kill 2342342342 mobs to lvl up, had no relation with d&d nor ddo

if u farm a quest, and then come back in 2 days are doing it wrong, if the quests at lvl 15 and then log back til 18 hours, u're doing it wrong, and finally, if u are able to do all the quests from 3 lvls (15 to 17, 16 to 18, whatever) are doing it wrong, need to do the opts, take ur time, relax, and enjoy the game lol, sounds like the pl or completionist feat worths the time/effort ROflmao

just have to forget about bravery bonus on certain lvl, there're players who never cared about it and capped w/o troubles, what turbine did this way is encouraging players to buy more pots or packs, nothing more, buy pots if u're dumb and try an outdated method, buy packs if want favor and recover the tp u spent XD

EDIT: really important, run once every diff, 1st time of day has no penalty and 20% extra xp, 3rd time has 40% (so it turns back with the 18 hours), ruing twice is a non-sense
    psykopeta - hoarding pl, for the sake of hoarding, the day i become ubercompletionist will be because there isn't anything to delay it more - thelanis, where the gimps claim to be pros and noobs claim to be pros, no newbies allowed(unless they claim to be pros), we have enough drama w/o them. PS i'm not a pro, maybe if i reincarnate in RL...

Quote Originally Posted by psykopeta View Post
    you're trying to apply an old strategy (aka outdated) that now doesnt work

lemme tell you, ppl haven been capping w/o need to farm any single quest, and they did w/o that 20% extra xp in 1st run of the day

how? they run lvl 17 quests (on elite 19) at lvl 17

now tell me you don't have enough quests to run 1 time each diff from 15 to 17
    do the same tomorrow, if you hit 16, then move to quests lvl 16 to 18

do u need the bravery bonus? maybe u think so, pretty sure u're getting more xp with the 20% extra xp per day, just don't know it because the xp/min obssession

don't get wrong, xp/min was killing ddo, xp/min is a term used in those korean mmo games(even wow did ROflmao) where u have to kill 2342342342 mobs to lvl up, had no relation with d&d nor ddo

if u farm a quest, and then come back in 2 days are doing it wrong, if the quests at lvl 15 and then log back til 18 hours, u're doing it wrong, and finally, if u are able to do all the quests from 3 lvls (15 to 17, 16 to 18, whatever) are doing it wrong, need to do the opts, take ur time, relax, and enjoy the game lol, sounds like the pl or completionist feat worths the time/effort ROflmao

just have to forget about bravery bonus on certain lvl, there're players who never cared about it and capped w/o troubles, what turbine did this way is encouraging players to buy more pots or packs, nothing more, buy pots if u're dumb and try an outdated method, buy packs if want favor and recover the tp u spent XD
    Doing the optionals is doing it wrong imo because most have no challenge, no loot, no worthwhile xp. Give me a challenge and a reward. People run optionals that are done well like wiz king, they don't run opts that are done poorly.

Community Member

Two things to remember:

1) You cant permanently "use up" a quest anymore. There's no reason, therefore, to "save" higher-level quests for when you need XP at higher levels. As long as you can do it one time first on Elite to preserve your BB streak, run any quest at any level, twice per day. You might still want to bank at 18, but you have more flexibility before that for what quests you can take.

2) Almost all builds in Heroic are significantly more powerful now than they were pre-EP. You're getting a lot of skills, active and passive abilities, etc. for both offense and defense, stuff that you couldn't get till Epic Destinies before. +2[w] and +3[w] fast-cooldown attacks are getting tossed around like beads at a Mardi Gras parade. Odds are you can handle Elite content 1 or 2 or 3 levels earlier than you could before.

Those two facts combine to give you more options and, depending what quests you own, you can find better XP/min than you got just bashing Litany, Shadow Crypt, etc. ad infinitum.

Community Member

Doing the optionals is doing it wrong imo because most have no challenge, no loot, no worthwhile xp. Give me a challenge and a reward. People run optionals that are done well like wiz king, they don't run opts that are done poorly.
    Point is, spread your hustle, honey.
    http://myaccount.turbine.com

Je ne suis pas
    DDO Alpha Tester

When the wife and I were newbs we ran all the quests and did the optionals too we even use to go to lfm to get a party to make things "easier" and used The Lost Quest Guide to make sure we didn't miss any quest for our levels etc etc.

Guess what it took forever and was painful to get to level 20 After a life or two we wised up found some quests that gave huge xp and learned to supplement that with quests we actually enjoyed running. Sure some of it was because we had to learn the quests and our builds may not have been the best etc etc but mostly it was some quest just have sucky xp and take too long to complete.

I am not saying it is wrong to flower sniff and do everything but neither is there anything wrong with zerging and farming quests. Maybe we will make ourselves another "optimal quest list" but this change sure as hell wont make us go or use the lfm more it will not force us to play how "others" want us to play because they are lonely or need company.

Oh and Charononus is right not all optionals are worth running especially if you mostly duo.
    Last edited by SilkofDrasnia; 08-20-2013 at 04:12 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan
    Insulting the development team is not allowed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jendrak
    Somebody should definitely explain to Turbine that when they roll up a new GM that INT is not dump stat.

2014 DDO Players Council Flavilandile's Avatar

new strategy : Buy XP tokens from the Store.
    On G-Land : Flavilandile, Blacklock, Yaelle, Millishande, Larilandile, Gildalinde, Tenalafel, and many other...

Community Member

Just tried out POP, 10k xp for the quest and ~4k for optionals in around a 15 minute run isn't bad, but it's still only the 1 run. Subsequent runs today would make it not worth the time pretty quickly.

And people suggesting that I run quests that are above my level, what am I supposed to run when I AM higher level? You can't enter the king's forest until level 20, so it's not like I can continue running stuff above my level indefinitely.

The whole point is I don't want to have to wait a day for the ransack to decrease. It took a week to get from fresh TR to level 17, now it's supposed to take 2 or more weeks to get from 17 to 20?

Community Member

The whole point is I don't want to have to wait a day for the ransack to decrease. It took a week to get from fresh TR to level 17, now it's supposed to take 2 or more weeks to get from 17 to 20?
    You do the same thing you did before - bank at 18. You're talking about two separate problems unrelated to the new XP mechanic....you're talking about the TR XP curve, and the Epic Wall, where you're locked out of Epic content till you're 20-21.

The XP curve is going to be addressed next update, so that 18-20 hump will be a lot less harder to get over, once that happens. And the Epic Wall would still be there no matter how repetition penalties are handled, so as long as it exists, you're always going to be banking at 18 to maximize the available content at the end of Heroic.

If anything, XP Ransack is going to help people who are banked at 18. They can run all the 16-20 content once or twice a day for full XP, rather than spreading it too thin with permanent decay.

Community Member

Which quests have you farmed at level 15 and at level 16?
    Run all those quests once-twice per day.

2014 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by droid327 View Post
    1) You cant permanently "use up" a quest anymore. There's no reason, therefore, to "save" higher-level quests for when you need XP at higher levels.
    You can still permanently use up the best of a quest's XP the same way you always could.

Quote Originally Posted by droid327 View Post
    As long as you can do it one time first on Elite to preserve your BB streak
    Oh, I see you already know you only get the massive Bravery bonus once, after which it is used up and gone forever, leaving only poor 2nd-run-style XP in it's wake, no matter how long you wait for "ransack" to evaporate.

Is it really a better strategy to use up your Bravery Bonus at low, cheap levels, and have only 2nd-run XP at higher, more XP-expensive levels? I doubt getting to 18 a bit faster is going to be made up for by taking much longer to get to 20 after you're there.

But I guess I'll see for myself next time I TR.

Oh, OP, another consideration for XP, without screwing yourself out of your Bravery Bonus, is that 3 new teen-levelled Wilderness areas have been added. A quick run through to grab all explorers and a few rares is usually decent XP.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast