Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    8

    Default New Divine Might - WAI?

    Is this supposed to not stack with insight bonus to strength from items?

    Because this seems really weird and unintuitive that a core ability would force paladins to avoid a very specific type of item bonus.

  2. #2
    Hero
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    SW United States
    Posts
    2,776

  3. #3

    Default

    The shame of it is that it's completely unnecessary. Why the devs didn't make the sacred stance a morale bonus and keep divine might a sacred bonus and why they seem happy keeping it the way it is is beyond me.

    One dev actually said "I'm sure you'll find some other useful gear for the slot you free up no longer needing insightful strength." (Paraphrased.) So dismissive and out of touch.

  4. #4
    Community Member HallowedOne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Sarlona
    Posts
    515

    Default

    It's all a matter of perspective, I guess. I liked that now DM gives insightful str bonus, augmenting attack, which was an issue I had when using 2wf on my pally's first life. Also, freeing Insightful Strength slot is a big bonus for me - 1 less item to worry about. It also, contrary to what most believe, helps the Sacred Defender since it offsets the inability to get Raged.

    Maybe the biggest hit would be indeed on twf, since the +dmg bonus on both hands is a big hit. But, considering the hipothesis that the twf triggers 2 Adrenaline smites (I haven't played 2wf paladins for a while), I think such nerf somewhat narrows the distance between the 2 styles - the 2hf would give a lil better consistent damage while the 2wf would give big numbers.
    "When a mind does not know itself, it is flawed. When a mind is flawed, the man is flawed. When a man is flawed, that which he touches is flawed. It is said that what a flawed man sees, his hands make broken."
    Dak'kon.

  5. #5
    Community Member mezzorco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Italy
    Posts
    470

    Default

    How is it cast?
    I mean, cleric version uses spell points. Paladin version too? Or is it turn-based?

  6. #6
    Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    12,729

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mezzorco View Post
    I mean, cleric version uses spell points. Paladin version too? Or is it turn-based?
    Historically, Divine Might has always used TUs to power it for both classes. But now I see the cleric version uses SPs while the pally version still uses TUs, AFAICT. That means the battlecleric doesn't have to sacrifice auras / bursts in order to use DM, which I'm tentatively prepared to call a net plus.

  7. #7
    Community Member FranOhmsford's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Staffs, England
    Posts
    9,172

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by unbongwah View Post
    Historically, Divine Might has always used TUs to power it for both classes. But now I see the cleric version uses SPs while the pally version still uses TUs, AFAICT. That means the battlecleric doesn't have to sacrifice auras / bursts in order to use DM, which I'm tentatively prepared to call a net plus.
    FavSouls now get it too {Spell Points} which is why the Devs decided to move it to Spell Points for Clerics I'd guess.

  8. #8
    Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    12,729

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FranOhmsford View Post
    FavSouls now get it too {Spell Points} which is why the Devs decided to move it to Spell Points for Clerics I'd guess.
    Good point: I'd already forgotten that FvS also got the Protection tree. Probably because apart from DM it's a mostly forgettable tree...

  9. #9
    Community Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    819

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FranOhmsford View Post
    FavSouls now get it too {Spell Points} which is why the Devs decided to move it to Spell Points for Clerics I'd guess.
    Yeah, I prefer the cleric version. First it's based on spell points, which for a melee with torc is unlimited, and second it's tier 1. KoC got the short end I think. They, IMO, don't have a single tier 1 ability worth spending AP on, and on top of that have strict progression requirements (even in core) so you are forced to blow at least 4 pts on useless tier 1 enhancements before you can get to divine might. If they moved DM to tier 1 like clerics have (should paladin get it AT LEAST as soon as cleric?!?) it would make the whole tree far more appealing. Or if they just removed the progression requirements from the core stuff you could use those to qualify for tier 2 and go from there.

  10. #10
    Community Member FranOhmsford's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Staffs, England
    Posts
    9,172

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Inoukchuk View Post
    Yeah, I prefer the cleric version. First it's based on spell points, which for a melee with torc is unlimited, and second it's tier 1. KoC got the short end I think. They, IMO, don't have a single tier 1 ability worth spending AP on, and on top of that have strict progression requirements (even in core) so you are forced to blow at least 4 pts on useless tier 1 enhancements before you can get to divine might. If they moved DM to tier 1 like clerics have (should paladin get it AT LEAST as soon as cleric?!?) it would make the whole tree far more appealing. Or if they just removed the progression requirements from the core stuff you could use those to qualify for tier 2 and go from there.
    I always preferred HotD so still getting used to reading KotC.

    BUT:

    I don't call Extra Turning Useless!
    Divine Light is a Fantastic Enhancement for Paladins!
    Extra Smites are always useful.

    Yeah Extra Remove Disease is trash
    And Attack Boost isn't up to much
    BUT
    I'd easily spend 8 AP on Tier I + The first two Core Abilities for another 2 AP!

    Oh yeah then I can grab the 3rd Core ability, Improved Turning etc.

  11. #11
    Community Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    819

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FranOhmsford View Post
    I always preferred HotD so still getting used to reading KotC.

    BUT:

    I don't call Extra Turning Useless!
    Divine Light is a Fantastic Enhancement for Paladins!
    Extra Smites are always useful.

    Yeah Extra Remove Disease is trash
    And Attack Boost isn't up to much
    BUT
    I'd easily spend 8 AP on Tier I + The first two Core Abilities for another 2 AP!

    Oh yeah then I can grab the 3rd Core ability, Improved Turning etc.

    Explain to me how extra turning isn't useless? The only use I really see for it is DM, and only because they made paly use turns instead of SP, but 24-30 min of DM should be more than enough for any paly. And divine light is nice while it's useful, but by epic levels it just falls flat compared to 1 cleave with your sword so it is really worth the AP? I say no, I'd much rather skip everything on that tier sadly.

  12. #12
    Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    12,729

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Inoukchuk View Post
    Explain to me how extra turning isn't useless?
    Divine Righteousness also uses TUs, so if you're trying to make any sort of hate-tank, extra TUs are always welcome, IMHO. That said, I wish most of the KotC abilities were a tier lower so it'd be easier to squeeze them into my SD builds.

  13. #13
    Community Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    42

    Default

    Tier 1 KoC abilities are not all useless.

    Yes, Divine Light is useless at epic levels.

    TU also powers the ED US ability Confront Any Foe. So more of these is good. (Improved Turning at Tier 2... now THAT is worthless)

    Remove Disease extras.. well, in a pinch, having more of those IF you have turned your RD into a Greater Restoration isn't too terrible.

  14. #14
    The Hatchery karl_k0ch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    4,596

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RealKorike View Post

    Yes, Divine Light is useless at epic levels.
    Not if you have PMs in your party.
    Toons on Orien: Meinir // Flodur // Twiddler // Thorkar // Impetor // Juliacantor // Minor all Soko Irrlicht
    Quote Originally Posted by Vargouille View Post
    We may or may not intentionally insert in red herrings, purple mackerels, or horses of different colors. Void where prohibited. Not available in all planes of existence.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload