Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Default U19 Elven AA help?

I have an elven arcane archer and now that this U19 update hit I noticed that if you spend 19 points into the race tree you could take Grace which allows the Dexetrity modifier to determine damage with long/shortbows (and any elf melee weapon you chose at the start of the tree).

Knowing this I think I see a possibility of making a arcane archer elf that dosent need str (beside 10 str to prevent enfeebling). Am I going insane?

Also seeing how Arcane Archer is only 1 point (because you already would spend 19 points in the elf tree) would you be better off going pure ranger or multiclassing with AA as a elf enhancement?

The only problem I see is that the new enhancement pass has so many good skills and not enough AP.

Can anyone help me/ provide me with a reliable build with the new pass? And comment on the potential of this dex modifier for bows?

Hero

Quote Originally Posted by Tenebris-Niatellim View Post
    Knowing this I think I see a possibility of making a arcane archer elf that dosent need str (beside 10 str to prevent enfeebling). Am I going insane?
    If you dump Strength, then you can't get Overwhelming Critical.

You're going to do less damage with DEX for dmg compared to STR for dmg.
    U19 Kensei: Centered Cleaver | TR Junkie Leveling Framework

~Ying~ (10 lives), ~Hamada~(9 lives), ~Vadanken~ (6 lives), ~Kobeyashi~ (10 lives)
    Over Raided of Orien, First Level 100 Guild

Quote Originally Posted by Carpone View Post

Okay then what if you get enough strength for overwhelming critical, wont it be better to go down the elven AA route for the convenient access to Grace? Or is going down the actual AA route the best route still for rangers?

I've noticed people multiclass heavily with Arcane Archer, is there any good post U19 builds that have a viable Arcane Archer?

Community Member

For a player with access to only +2 or +3 tomes, Elven DEX damage can still make a viable if not optimal alternative considering that Combat Archery now seems to be working.

Community Member

not necessarily.

Right now, OC is the main benefit of going str-based.
    However, a dex based build on an elf can hit a decent dex score without sacrificing nearly as much.
    OC will need a +3 tome, and 5 levels, and that's a starting dex of 15. It also requires you to take 3 feats that do absolutely nothing for your ranged damage.

Also, once combat archery is fixed, it will improve point blank shot by 1[W]. Consider the bonus of 1x multiplier to be ~50 damage on the average crit(all other things equal), so ideally, that's 100 damage over 20 shots. Combat archery will add about 4.5 for shot, so 90 damage over 20 shots. Not that big of a difference. It's also difficult for a first life character to qualify for Overwhelming critical AND combat archery without a lot of tomes and investment, especially on an elf where your Con will suffer no matter what.

As for the OP's question, personally, I'll probably splash monk instead of going the racial route. 6 levels of monk +11 points into the ninja spy tree + zen archery gives dex to damage for bows, 10k stars, 3 bonus feats, shadowfade, 2 sneak attack dice and +3% dodge, opens up henshin (not much here) and shintao(positive spell power/heal amp), and allows you to grab grandmaster stances at the cost of 2 feats!

But on a pure AA, i'd probably do exactly what you said. Max dex/con/wis, 10/20/14/8/12/8 on a 32 pt build, put all lvls into dex, so at 20, your dex is 20+5+9(gear)+4(enhancement)=38 dex.

Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ArcaneArcher52689 View Post
    . . . once combat archery is fixed . . .
    Great Gygax's Ghost, it's been over a year - how is this still not fixed yet?

Oh right, because Turbine. Never mind.

Community Member whereispowderedsilve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by unbongwah View Post
    Great Gygax's Ghost, it's been over a year - how is this still not fixed yet?

Oh right, because Turbine. Never mind.
    It is fixed, Carpone tested it on Lama I think in the last build before it went live. Is it fixed on live right now? Carpone might know that/this as well.

I maybe wrong tho, I don't want to presume anything. Cheers! :P! !
    http://dillonpfaff5.wix.com/theob Sign this!!!: http://goo.gl/vS6htg

DDO toll free support phone#: 855-WBGAMES (855-924-2637)

Hero

Quote Originally Posted by ArcaneArcher52689 View Post
    not necessarily.

Right now, OC is the main benefit of going str-based.
    However, a dex based build on an elf can hit a decent dex score without sacrificing nearly as much.
    OC will need a +3 tome, and 5 levels, and that's a starting dex of 15. It also requires you to take 3 feats that do absolutely nothing for your ranged damage.

Also, once combat archery is fixed, it will improve point blank shot by 1[W].
    Quote Originally Posted by Alfhild
    For a player with access to only +2 or +3 tomes, Elven DEX damage can still make a viable if not optimal alternative considering that Combat Archery now seems to be working.
    You know it's possible to have both Overwhelming Critical and Combat Archery on an Elf, right? I've got it built right now. STR remains the optimal stat for two reasons:

1. You need 23 STR for Overwhelming Critical
    2. Primal Scream nets you +5 STR. There's no DEX equivalent.

While DEX for damage can be competitive (as long as you take OC), it's not optimal for AA.

As for "wasting" feat slots for Cleave, Great Cleave and Power Attack, I challenge you to select replacement feats that provide anywhere near the DPS that Overwhelming Critical nets the AA archetype.
    U19 Kensei: Centered Cleaver | TR Junkie Leveling Framework

~Ying~ (10 lives), ~Hamada~(9 lives), ~Vadanken~ (6 lives), ~Kobeyashi~ (10 lives)
    Over Raided of Orien, First Level 100 Guild

Community Member

You know it's possible to have both Overwhelming Critical and Combat Archery on an Elf, right? I've got it built right now. STR remains the optimal stat for two reasons:

1. You need 23 STR for Overwhelming Critical
    2. Primal Scream nets you +5 STR. There's no DEX equivalent.

While DEX for damage can be competitive (as long as you take OC), it's not optimal for AA.

As for "wasting" feat slots for Cleave, Great Cleave and Power Attack, I challenge you to select replacement feats that provide anywhere near the DPS that Overwhelming Critical nets the AA archetype.
    You can definitely get Overwhelming Crit and CA on an Elf but you need to gimp your CON and WIS to do so (unless you have access to +4/+5 tomes.) I am speaking of Monkcher builds when referencing WIS of course. In terms of feats, yes you can blow 3 feats slots on the OC prereqs, but you give up survivability in exchange whether Toughness & Epic Toughness, Empower Heal and Quicken for Rejuv Cocoon, Dodge, improved Monk stances etc. And if you are leaving DEX at the minimum required for CA, your Evasion is not going to be the greatest as well.

Community Member

Edit post function is not working so just adding one thing: how do you make up for the +5 STR from primal scream? Use points and level ups you have spent on STR to Increase Dex instead and take a point or 2 in the DEX stat enhancements available in the Elf, Ranger, and Monk trees.

Another crit multiplier is huge when every adrenalined arrow is autocrit.
    You can have OC, Combat archery, ~ 40 wis buffed, ~ 24 dodge in earth and ~ 800 hp .
    Of course maybe not on first life 28 pt build, but monkcher has always been advanced build for 36 point characters with buncha tomes.
    Without pally splash or heavy reflex twists your reflex is going to be lackluster anyway, relying more on movement, spell absorbs or improved evasion.
    You don't need quicken for cocoon
    Shahang Nezhat Bellezza Wipekin Farida of Ghallanda

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Encair View Post
    Another crit multiplier is huge when every adrenalined arrow is autocrit.
    You can have OC, Combat archery, ~ 40 wis buffed, ~ 24 dodge in earth and ~ 800 hp .
    Of course maybe not on first life 28 pt build, but monkcher has always been advanced build for 36 point characters with buncha tomes.
    Without pally splash or heavy reflex twists your reflex is going to be lackluster anyway, relying more on movement, spell absorbs or improved evasion.
    You don't need quicken for cocoon
    Sorry about the cocoon reference for quicken: forgot to add CSW there. And I agree that the build you are suggesting is an advanced build. But, as I have been consistently stating, an Elf Dex based Monkcher is now a viable build for the non-uber player and does not require OC to get decent DPS. By limiting stat concentration to 3 stats instead of 4, you can achieve a higher WIS for instance than you suggest. I am running 40 WIS completely ununbuffed with a +3 tome. When buffed passed the 42 mark, this allows for a greater chance of 4 procced arrows on the new +3W special shots in the AA tree. Will my WIS make up for OC? No, but it will close the gap somewhat. The reality is that in the past if you did not have the gear or tomes, the Monkcher was not a viable build for the casual player, mainly be cause stat distribution among 4 stats prevented the average player from reaching the various stat thresholds required for DPS and survivability. With the 3 stat distribution offered by Grace in the Elf tree the casual can still be viable if not optimal.

Community Member

I opted out of Grace, but certainly took advantage of the dragonmarks in the elven tree (which can be extended for free). Elfs are the new sexy.

Okay so I tried out elven grace, didn't seem to do that much dmg (probably because I didn't respec first (facepalm)). But I'm on the edge about it. I lesser reincarnated to a tempest because archer felt lackluster but tempest felt lackluster as well since I already had a strong melee ( my barbarian) and my favorite character my TWF int Rogue. So I decided to switch back to an archer ranger since I couldn't see any class which elf would be good at other then ranger T_T. And also because someone pointed out I could use Deepwood enhancements as well and cycle through the skills in both trees while my multi shot is on cooldown (considering I don't have monk for monkcher (god dam the op pay to win class T_T)). So I'm going to use my +20 heart of wood sadly to remake my ranger (who was my first toon I leveled past 5, and thus is currently my highest level toon at lvl 9). (goodbye easy way to get a past life in a boring class).

So to make sure I don't feel gimped once I +20 lesser reincarnate tomorrow, can anyone suggest a non-gimped f2p ranged build? OR some other build that elves are good at, since I can't seem to tell -_-.

And also I do like those shadow dragonmarks XD. But i'm not sure if they're useful at all in comparison to the feat and ap spent on them.

EDIT: Classes not build.

Community Member

can anyone suggest a non-gimped f2p ranged build?
    If you want suggestions, you need to let people know if you are a 28 or 32 pt character and what tomes currently have.

Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar

This thread has some thoughts on AAs, as well as one potential build.

Got no tomes currently (beside a +1 concentration tome lol XD). And it would be a 28 point build. I think something to add some flavor to the build would be great. Something like the dragonmark of shadow, and some investment into deepwood to compliment. I learned from playing my rogue that I really like the sneak playstyle and sneaky around then bursting people with sneak attack multi shots sound cool (if doable). I just want a build that's viable, fun to play rather then optimal (if that has to be sacrificed). I just want to have fun, be able to compete in kill count when I want to.

So laid out, some things I'm considering is.

1. Dragonmark of Shadow coupled with deepwood enhancements to add a sneaky shadowy touch
    2. Deepwood and Arcane Archer skills to fill in the time between multi shot.
    3. Mostly range but using melee occasionally is fine too.

Except I have no idea how to make that into a ungimped 28 point build with no tomes to speak of other then ones I might get by luck (I have been seeing a lot of +1 tomes pop up in chests now, and IVe been eyeing that 100 roll on the silver dice XD).

Community Member

Two questions:
    Alignment?
    Do you want to remain pure or do you mind multiclassing?

Quote Originally Posted by Alfhild View Post
    Two questions:
    Alignment?
    Do you want to remain pure or do you mind multiclassing?
    Alignment dosent matter, and I don't care if its pure or multi classing, so long as its fun, viable and useful (and hopefully does what I posted above). Dosent have to be optimal (although being as optimal as it can is nice ^_^).

The only problem I have with multi class is people always recommend p2p classes.

btw just to reiterate, i'm an elf.

Thank you for your help ^_^.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast