The Mad Multiclasser Failedlegend's Avatar

Default The Skullcracker

So I recently learned you can Assassinate with ANY melee weapon so I thought it would be fun to build an Acrobatic Assassin aka "The Skullcracker" aka Acrosassin now that after todays update we can take multiple prestige lines. My hope is to have this work as a Single-classed rogue.

For the purposes of the build I'm using Shadar-kai but feel free to make suggestions assuming Halfling as well

Code:
    Shadar-Kai Rogue 20 

Str 8
    Dex 18
    Con 14
    Int 18
    Wis 8
    Cha 6

Skills: Balance, Bluff, Diplo, DD, Haggle, Hide,MS,  Jump/Tumble,  OL, Search, Spot, UMD

1 Combat Expertise
    3 Precision
    6 Improved Feint 
    9 Dodge
    R10 Improved Evasion
    12 IC: Bludgeon
    R13 Oppurtunist
    15 Mobility
    R16 Skill Mastery
    18 Spring Attack
    R19 Skill Mastery
    ED Shadowdancer
    21 Improved Sneak Attack
    24 Whirlwind Attack
    26 Tactician
    27 Blinding Speed
    28 Elusive Target
    Last edited by Failedlegend; 08-19-2013 at 02:04 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan
    There is little value in getting into an edition debate; as with anything, we create what we believe works best for DDO.

No comments?
    There is little value in getting into an edition debate; as with anything, we create what we believe works best for DDO.

Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar

The main drawback to making a staff-based Assassin is if you pick up Assassinate, you can't pick up T5 Staff Training (+1 crit multiplier & range w/staves).

Personally I would start base stats 13 / 17 / 14 / 17 / 8 / 6 (presuming no tomes) so you can pick up the Power Atk / CL / GC chain, dropping D/M/SA chain to make room for them. EDIT: how were you planning to hit DEX 21 for Imp Sneak Atk?

I haven't tested Imp Feint yet; is it working properly in U19?
    Revisiting the Classics: Axesinger / Dwarven Defender / Drow Ninja / Drow Paladin / Elven Ranger / Monkcher / Sacred Vanguard
    Other build threads: Cleric Domains / Kundarak Brigade / Iconic Builds
    My Build Index: a Motley Menagerie of Original Rapscallions, Pugilists, and Gimps!

Quote Originally Posted by unbongwah View Post
    The main drawback to making a staff-based Assassin is if you pick up Assassinate, you can't pick up T5 Staff Training (+1 crit multiplier & range w/staves).

Personally I would start base stats 13 / 17 / 14 / 17 / 8 / 6 (presuming no tomes) so you can pick up the Power Atk / CL / GC chain, dropping D/M/SA chain to make room for them. EDIT: how were you planning to hit DEX 21 for Imp Sneak Atk?

Improved feint doesn't work at all. That's my finding. Mobs aren't bluffed. Otherwise, it would be a great feat to take on a pure acrobat rogue.

I tested IF on my Horcrobat last night; it appears to be working (again), although the lag on the bluff proc is still there.
    Revisiting the Classics: Axesinger / Dwarven Defender / Drow Ninja / Drow Paladin / Elven Ranger / Monkcher / Sacred Vanguard
    My Build Index: a Motley Menagerie of Original Rapscallions, Pugilists, and Gimps!

Yeah it sucks but I like the idea of running around cracking peoples skulls with a stick so I'm willing to give it up.

Personally I would start base stats 13 / 17 / 14 / 17 / 8 / 6 (presuming no tomes) so you can pick up the Power Atk / CL / GC chain, dropping D/M/SA chain to make room for them.
    D/M/SA is mostly to pick up Whirldwind (which is better than Great Cleave) and spending points in Str is a waste. One idea is using C/GC (and your mentioned stat block) until you pick up WW than LR with your free LR to fix your stats, skills and feats to the Epic build.

EDIT: how were you planning to hit DEX 21 for Imp Sneak Atk?
    Base 18 + 3 Dex tome easily obtained by Epic levels (by drop or by plat), easily either delayed until it happens or swapped in later using fred (or shards).

Working yes, properly no...there's a weird delay between you bluffing and the bluff actually applying and it you move before the bluff applies it ussually fails to apply at all but using IF than WW is a glorious thing once you get used to that delay...hopefully they fix the delay soon as its still a PITA and hurts the DPS of an already lower tier weapon.

Sweeping Strike -> IF -> WW will be really fun
    Last edited by Failedlegend; 09-04-2013 at 03:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Failedlegend View Post
    So I recently learned you can Assassinate with ANY melee weapon
    Does it HAVE to be a melee weapon? I was mulling the idea of an arcane archer assasin since assumed you simply needed to be sneaking and in ranged sneak atk range (with some deepwood for increased sneak distance)

Don't mean to derail your topic but looks like a good build. have you thought of splashing 1 monk and buying the advanced stances?
    Officer of Disciples of the Apocalypse on Sarlona
    Himawari Life 3 - 1 FvS | Svipul Life 3 - 1 FvS | Chikaze Life 2 - 2 PAL / 2 MNK / 4 FVS
    Completionist Project: GLaDOS - Life 14 of ??: Bladeforged 'Zeus' - Started 22/02/14

Quote Originally Posted by kuro_zero View Post
    Does it HAVE to be a melee weapon? I was mulling the idea of an arcane archer assasin since assumed you simply needed to be sneaking and in ranged sneak atk range (with some deepwood for increased sneak distance)

Don't mean to derail your topic but looks like a good build. have you thought of splashing 1 monk and buying the advanced stances?
    It SHOULD but unfortunately its bugged I've reported it several times over the years (on the forums, on lama and on live) but its still not in the known issues list.

So currently no

As for Monk that's a cool idea and so are plenty of other 1-2 splashes but I wanted to try playing a single-class character for once :P (also +2 int and 4D6 SA is very hard to give up)

I do love the fact the recent enhancement changes have allowed for a wide variety of concept build.

I am interested to see how this turns out
    Kill'em all and let their favorite deity sort'em out
    BoloGrubb / DJgrubb / Gijo

Quote Originally Posted by Bolo_Grubb View Post
    I do love the fact the recent enhancement changes have allowed for a wide variety of concept build.

I am interested to see how this turns out
    Yeah as much as I loathe alot of the changes (or lack of changes) I Love alot of them as well
    Last edited by Failedlegend; 09-30-2013 at 08:46 AM.

wondering which enhancements you would pick

Community Member

That and the fact that you won't assassinate 2 mobs at once since you aren't dual weilding. And the obvious fact that dagger is an assassin weapon that DOES get +1range/multiplier and dex to damage and can be dual-wielded making it a seeming no-brainer (especially with some very nice daggers at epic levels like sacrificial and agony, and low levels like guardian of the liturgy). I like the idea though.

I personally think you should be able to to take tier 5's from separate trees in the same class, which would solve this issue.

Community Member

What are your thoughts on taking a level of Druid to get access to Ram's Might and Shillelagh? My instinct is that the short durations and weapon material restrictions mean that it isn't worthwhile but I may be wrong.
    Cannith: Yasina, Sarasina, Discarra

Well being that its a 1/min a level spell it defaults to 5 mins so it's not too bad the material limitation isn't too bad since only a few staves are metal.

Community Member

Thanks for the reply.

At the moment I'm levelling a drow pure rogue quarterstaff user. Being my first proper rogue build I really want to look at maximising DPS without relying on assassinate.

I think I'm right in saying that giving up a level of rogue will lose me +2 int and 1d6 sneak attack, plus a few skill points. That doesn't seem like much of a sacrifice compared to what I'll be gaining, particularly if it defaults to 5 minutes rather than just a 1 minute 'burst' buff.
    Cannith: Yasina, Sarasina, Discarra

Quote Originally Posted by Jatner View Post
    At the moment I'm levelling a drow pure rogue quarterstaff user. Being my first proper rogue build I really want to look at maximising DPS without relying on assassinate.
    If you're a staff build, you want the Acrobat tree, in particular Acrobatics, Quick Strike, Shadow Dodge, and Staff Specialization. If you're pure rog, the Acro capstone provides +5% atk speed and a bunch of other bonuses. DPS-wise, that is more valuable than what a druid splash gets you, IMHO, particularly since Shillelagh doesn't work with Sireth (still the best named staff), Thunder-forged staves, and a handful of other named non-wooden staves.

See my Halfling Acrobat thread for a couple of builds.

Default Bluff Interrupt

I tested IF on my Horcrobat last night; it appears to be working (again), although the lag on the bluff proc is still there.
    You can interrupt the bluff animation, still get the benefit of the bluff and immediately attack by hitting Trip, Sunder, Cleave, GCleave after bluffing. Sunder is still slowwwwww with Two-Handed weapons (esp QStaff) so use Trip, Cleave/GCleave.

Bluff=>Sunder while TWF is almost instantaneous attack if mob is in hit box.

Bluff=>Sunder while SWF is pretty fast too.
    I am often cynical and say mean things. It's a WAI "Feature". Mokune (Guild Leader of Pandora's Box on Khyber), Iquitz, Returning, Thaumat, Ketzerisch, Xhiron, Koanoak et al...