Default Colourless skill Augments for lower levels are still garbage.

Colourless skill Augments for lower levels are garbage.

As per release notes...
    Colorless Skill Augments – Level 4
    Skill +3
    Colorless Skill Augments – Level 8
    Skill +5
    Colorless Skill Augments – Level 12
    Skill +7
    Colorless Skill Augments – Level 16
    Skill +9
    Colorless Skill Augments – Level 20
    Skill +11
    Colorless Skill Augments – Level 24
    Skill +13
    Colorless Skill Augments – Level 28
    Skill +15

All these levelling augments are worthless for the levels they represent..

I can cannith craft +5 at level 1, +7 at level 3, +10 at level 5...,
    only the end game ones even enter into consideration to fill unused slots, this really makes all these augments completely worthless in my opinion.
    Even as freebie drops in a chest I leave them or thow them away...

Really need to look at these and change the whole mechanic..
    make them enhancement (thus stacking) bonus that add a +1 per 4 levels so that it stacks with any competence gear.
    Last edited by JOTMON; 08-19-2013 at 10:25 AM.
    Jotmon - Let's not forget why we play these games - to have fun - ~
    Guild: Degenerate Matter - 200 (Former Guilds: ChaosKnights, Big Damn Heroes, Shadowfiends, Order of the Drow, Unusual Suspects, Raided R)
    Argo-Jotmon(HC 28/42,EC 26/36,IC 12/12), Jotmonheals(Clr17/Rog2/Mnk1-EC 32/36), Whatthetruck(Raid farmer-2nd life).. and many many more alts..

Update 24: Champions... "whew, it's ok, it's only a red name" .. sad day when trash spawn Champions and their one-shot ignore fort attacks instill more party fear than the Red named bosses.

Community Member

I'd say they do exactly what they're supposed to do at low levels.

Colorless slots have never been about giving raw power until endgame. Aside from the +20 HP vitality and the +5% xp augments, anyway.

The stats you could get into a colorless were always worse than the stuff you could find or craft yourself on items. They're mostly about boosting tertiary stats that might be kinda sorta useful maybe. Like giving a rogue a bonus to wisdom in a colorless so he has a slightly higher will save or boosting int so he can drink SF pots.

Skill augments continue the same trend. You wouldn't use them for skills you actually care about. You use them for skills you don't really care about, but think they might be nice to have if you could fit them into your gear set. For example, I don't have a balance item while leveling, because I can't fit one into my gear set. I'd like to have one, though, since I hate wolves/hobgoblin guards/bezekira/jariliths/anything that trips with the burning passion of a thousand suns. Thus, a colorless augment for balance is really nice for me, since I get some balance at the cost of +2 minimum level on the item, and I don't really have to redesign my gear set.

Another skill augment I could see myself using while leveling is jump. Other skills are either too situational to have on all the time or are important enough that an augment won't provide large enough a bonus.
    Old forum names (that I can't use anymore because of forum changes): Lehmu, Kanttura.
    I play Iioi, Feira, Shrtguy Stabsalot, Hjeelmee Nao, Kesib, Eisiishai, Iioo, Iiio & Havesword Will Travel on Argonnessen.
    I'm also in youtube.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lehmuska View Post
    Colorless slots have never been about giving raw power until endgame. Aside from the +20 HP vitality and the +5% xp augments, anyway.
    So what you are saying is that something that exists at all levels is intended to be useless until L20+?

There is no way that's WAI unless the developers are complete idiots, because only an idiot would think that made sense.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by JOTMON View Post
    Colourless skill Augments for lower levels are garbage.

As per release notes...
    Skill +3
    Skill +5
    Skill +7
    Skill +9
    Skill +11
    Skill +13
    Skill +15

All these levelling augments are worthless for the levels they represent..

I can cannith craft +5 at level 1, +7 at level 3, +10 at level 5...,
    only the end game ones even enter into consideration to fill unused slots, this really makes all these augments completely worthless in my opinion.
    Even as freebie drops in a chest I leave them or thow them away...

Really need to look at these and change the whole mechanic..
    make them enhancement (thus stacking) bonus that add a +1 per 4 levels so that it stacks with any competence gear.
    Well cannith crafting would require cannith crafting, these gems don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Citzen_Gkar View Post
    So what you are saying is that something that exists at all levels is intended to be useless until L20+?

There is no way that's WAI unless the developers are complete idiots, because only an idiot would think that made sense.

If the skill augment bonuses stacked with other gear they wouldn't be useless at low levels. Stacking the stat bonuses with other gear would be OP at low levels.

Right now the only value the low level augment gems have (that I can see) are for non-twink, play-what-you-find type groups. Not sure how many of those actually make up the player base, but I imagine most veterans (especially TRs) blow past levels 1-8 before even thinking about using augments.

Quote Originally Posted by Pandir View Post
    Well cannith crafting would require cannith crafting, these gems don't.

Cannith Crafting does not require crafting levels, all you need is access to someone who can craft unbound shards (or the AH).
    Slotting a shard on a cleansed item can be done no-fail at level 1.
    only issue would be access to masteful craftmanship favor from house C.. as unbound masterful carftmanship shards are hard to come by.

Quote Originally Posted by Postumus View Post
    If the skill augment bonuses stacked with other gear they wouldn't be useless at low levels. Stacking the stat bonuses with other gear would be OP at low levels.

Right now the only value the low level augment gems have (that I can see) are for non-twink, play-what-you-find type groups. Not sure how many of those actually make up the player base, but I imagine most veterans (especially TRs) blow past levels 1-8 before even thinking about using augments.

I was only looking at stacking skill augment bonusses and only added a +1 stacking bonus per 4 levels as an enhancement bonus (same as Tinkers Gloves.. so no double dipping items).

TR's would not even consider this stuff, they are through all the transition levels quickly and already have their gear laid out..decent random drop items, crafted cannith twink gear already pre-made and pre-ground out named items.

There is nothing in these skills augments that has any draw to me at any level that isn't superceded by a swap in item.
    I could maybe possibly see slotting something at endgame as a space saver or lesser convenience item, but even this is unlikely as stat slotting would be more useful than a subpar skill that would easily be surpassed by a swap in as needed gear item.

I am just saying the current presentation of these skill augments is worthless in my opinion and would be better served by a rework of the augment system as they relate to skills.. make skill augments usefull or desirable in some way...
    Jotmon - Let's not forget why we play these games - to have fun - ~
    Guild: Degenerate Matter - 200 (Former Guilds: ChaosKnights, Big Damn Heroes, Shadowfiends, Order of the Drow, Unusual Suspects, Raided R)
    Argo-Jotmon(HC 28/42,EC 26/36,IC 12/12), Jotmonheals(Clr17/Rog2/Mnk1-EC 32/36), Whatthetruck(Raid farmer-2nd life).. and many many more alts..

Update 24: Champions... "whew, it's ok, it's only a red name" .. sad day when trash spawn Champions and their one-shot ignore fort attacks instill more party fear than the Red named bosses.

These are the same arguments that were made about the stat augments when they were released. Yet many players have found uses for them, including myself.

Do you always have every skill that might be useful in any way taking up an item in your gear setup? If so, i can tell you, there is better gear that could be in that place.

If you don't want to dedicate gear slots for skills that might be useful, well now you can at least add something to those skills.

Other than trapping skills, most other skills hardly need to be optimized to be worthwhile.

Having balance +9, as opposed to balance +0 sounds ok to me.

Or just don't use them, and pretend they weren't there like they actually weren't prior to today.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lehmuska View Post
    Skill augments continue the same trend. You wouldn't use them for skills you actually care about. You use them for skills you don't really care about, but think they might be nice to have if you could fit them into your gear set. For example, I don't have a balance item while leveling, because I can't fit one into my gear set. I'd like to have one, though, since I hate wolves/hobgoblin guards/bezekira/jariliths/anything that trips with the burning passion of a thousand suns. Thus, a colorless augment for balance is really nice for me, since I get some balance at the cost of +2 minimum level on the item, and I don't really have to redesign my gear set.

Another skill augment I could see myself using while leveling is jump. Other skills are either too situational to have on all the time or are important enough that an augment won't provide large enough a bonus.
    This would make sense if it weren't for slots increasing the ML of gear. The only situations in which I'm using augments currently are named loot that I wear for at least 5 or 6 levels that happens to have a slot- usually those get filled with a useful augment (deathblock, PRR, etc.) rather than "filler". It may indeed be nice to have a +jump item, but if it's not necessary enough to keep as high as possible (i.e. trap gear), then it's only there until I can use something from the stash/bank/mule or farm out or buy something worthwhile.

So yes, you're correct in that they're filler. But if the criteria for filler is "because I have nothing better at the moment", it still equals garbage.

Quote Originally Posted by FrancisP.Fancypants View Post
    This would make sense if it weren't for slots increasing the ML of gear. The only situations in which I'm using augments currently are named loot that I wear for at least 5 or 6 levels that happens to have a slot- usually those get filled with a useful augment (deathblock, PRR, etc.) rather than "filler". It may indeed be nice to have a +jump item, but if it's not necessary enough to keep as high as possible (i.e. trap gear), then it's only there until I can use something from the stash/bank/mule or farm out or buy something worthwhile.

So yes, you're correct in that they're filler. But if the criteria for filler is "because I have nothing better at the moment", it still equals garbage.
    Nah. I would use it to slot skills that i would never use an item slot for at all. Regardless of the bonus, or the level i am at.

They don't scale as high as other augments.

Elemental Resistance
    Level 24 +35
    Level 28 +40

Level 24 should be +17
    Level 28 should be +19

Something like this maybe?

Skill +7
    Skill +9
    Skill +11
    Skill +13
    Skill +15
    Skill +17
    Skill +19

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by FrancisP.Fancypants View Post

I can get a Con +6 belt at level 9. I can get a Con +6 belt with a colorless slot at level 11. The colorless slot can hold something nice but not necessary, like a balance augment. I could also skip getting the con 6 item and get a skill item in it's place (say, con 6 belt vs belt of balance) Is this colorless slot garbage now, because it can't offer the best bonus possible for the level?
    Old forum names (that I can't use anymore because of forum changes): Lehmu, Kanttura.
    I play Iioi, Feira, Shrtguy Stabsalot, Hjeelmee Nao, Kesib, Eisiishai, Iioo, Iiio & Havesword Will Travel on Argonnessen.
    I'm also in youtube.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Citzen_Gkar View Post
    It's pretty clearly WAI. It's not like this is a new thing. Augments have been poorly scaled from the get go. Seriously, most of the existing augments need to be reduced one tier in ML, and it looks like the skill augments need to be reduced two tiers at least.

I swear, with every new update I think three things become more and more true:
    1. This dev team hates D&D.
    2. This dev tem really wishes they were working on WoW.
    3. This dev team isn't very good at designing coherent, balanced things.