Community Member

Default 2 Pure bard builds for Review: Which is better?

I LR'd and i am stuck with human. I like the bard but feel he is weak in the ranged department, making some quests and bosses difficult.

I prioritize TWF because of some Warchanter enhancements that support double strike and for Tier 3 Fatesinger: Reign, and for Smiting/Vorpal/Disruption.

I'm wondering what would be the best route to making my Bard versatile in soloing Heroic Elite and Epic Normal. I just want to get him to about level 24-27 or so. (I probably will want to try something else at this time).

1) TWF High HP Cha bard - Pure melee single target DPS with CC.
    +High casting DC (+4 spell pen past lives). High melee DPS. High HP.
    -no ranged

Feats:
    -toughness
    -epic toughness

-twf
    -itwf
    -gtwf
    -power attack
    -ic slash

-arcane initiate (+1 dc)
    -inspired excellence (+2 stats)
    -Empowered heal

2) TWF Manyshot Cha bard - Primarily Melee DPS. Only use Manyshot and archery for bosses/ranged targets.

+ manyshot
    - minus 70+ hp. - melee dmg.

Feats:
    -point blank shot
    -rapid shot
    -bow strength
    -many shot

-twf
    -itwf
    -gtwf

-arcane initiate
    -Empowered heal
    -inspired excellence (+2 stats)

------

Thanks for reading

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by supott View Post
    I LR'd and i am stuck with human. I like the bard but feel he is weak in the ranged department, making some quests and bosses difficult.

I prioritize TWF because of some Warchanter enhancements that support double strike and for Tier 3 Fatesinger: Reign, and for Smiting/Vorpal/Disruption.

I'm wondering what would be the best route to making my Bard versatile in soloing Heroic Elite and Epic Normal. I just want to get him to about level 24-27 or so. (I probably will want to try something else at this time).
    Definitely option 2.

The burst DPS capability of Manyshot will make a massive difference in boss fights.

I'd also strongly suggest that you consider splashing 2 levels of ranger. Not only will that free up 3 feat slots (Bow Strength, Rapid Shot and TWF) but will also give you access to the DWS tree (6AP for +1 sneak attack die and 75 devotion spellpower) and Tempest (4 AP for +6 saves vs traps).

The free feats would enable you to take Power Attack, IC (season to taste) and Precise Shot (or Quicken) giving you a big DPS boost.

what abilities do you belive makes a good solo build?
    which of the these does your build have?

Community Member

thanks for the replies,

i missed going back to this thread as i already made the toon..

I went with option 1. Pure bard

I was really curious what the Heal and Wail would be like on a Bard so i went ahead and used the LR20.
    Unfortunately it would be tough to get ranger levels now as it would be hard to get GTWF and ITWF with the ranger levels so late (currently lvl 15).

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Uidolon View Post
    what abilities do you belive makes a good solo build?
    which of the these does your build have?
    3 important things for me,

1) ranged DPS
    2) evasion, high reflex
    3) self healing

A deeper split (2 rogue/2 ranger) might give me problems with Spell Pen, especially since im invested in feats with TWF, but could be good.

With a pure bard, i can still get 'ok' reflex without evasion, and i can still use my Charms on ranged mobs.
    It is potentially more challenging with the Charms, and more challenging for sure without evasion!

But i was lured in with the shiny new spells. Bards also don't get great cure critical wounds numbers and heal would fill me up with one cast. This could be a big help. Wail, 'if' i get it to land, could be as effective as Manyshot albeit for melee distanced mobs.

Some people can live without ranged and it will be a different exercise not having that option, but ill hope the charms are enough. Only ranging undead would be problematic. For those situations ill just bring out my GS throwing daggers or disrupting Throwing daggers and add in some Sound burst and wish for the best.
    Last edited by supott; 08-25-2013 at 04:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by supott View Post
    3 important things for me,

1) ranged DPS
    2) evasion, high reflex
    3) self healing

A deeper split (2 rogue/2 ranger) might give me problems with Spell Pen, especially since im invested in feats with TWF, but could be good.
    Spell Pen isn't on your list. ;-)

In reality, you can CC just fine with songs. You don't need Spell Pen.

With a pure bard, i can still get 'ok' reflex without evasion, and i can still use my Charms on ranged mobs.
    It is potentially more challenging with the Charms, and more challenging for sure without evasion!

But i was lured in with the shiny new spells. Bards also don't get great cure critical wounds numbers and heal would fill me up with one cast. This could be a big help. Wail, 'if' i get it to land, could be as effective as Manyshot albeit for melee distanced mobs.
    Heal certainly rocks.

Some people can live without ranged and it will be a different exercise not having that option, but ill hope the charms are enough. Only ranging undead would be problematic. For those situations ill just bring out my GS throwing daggers or disrupting Throwing daggers and add in some Sound burst and wish for the best.
    You can still use a freaking bow if you want ;-)
    Ghallanda - now with fewer alts and more ghostbane