Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Can this build be adapted for a bladeforged?

On my newly created lvl 15 BF paladin, I noticed that I already had at lvl 15 everything I actually wanted from the class. Doing more levels of paladin wouldn't add much, so I was looking into multiclassing options.

I was thinking about just taking 5 levels of fighter for Kensai enhancements, but taking rogue for evasion and UMD sounds good too. Do you think I can still reach useful levels of UMD, even if rogue wasn't taken at first level?

For self-healing, I took the reconstruct SLA from the bladeforged tree, and it gives comparable healing to your cure spell (atm, it heals 250 hp with only a 72 recon item, for 25 sp). Repair scrolls probably wouldn't be nearly as much use for me as heal scrolls would be for your human build, though.

Quote Originally Posted by jaegarnel View Post
    On my newly created lvl 15 BF paladin, I noticed that I already had at lvl 15 everything I actually wanted from the class. Doing more levels of paladin wouldn't add much, so I was looking into multiclassing options.

I was thinking about just taking 5 levels of fighter for Kensai enhancements, but taking rogue for evasion and UMD sounds good too. Do you think I can still reach useful levels of UMD, even if rogue wasn't taken at first level?
    Well, hmmm. If you go with 10 int that's 8 UMD per rogue level, meaning 3 rogue levels would be sufficient to max out UMD all alone with no UMD ranks spent on any other levels. If you go this route, make level 20 a rogue level. Rogue 3 at least gets an extra sneak die so it isn't wasted.

That leaves 2 fighter levels for kensei haste boost, extra action boost, +tactical dc, etc... Note that the tier 3 kensei weapon damage enhancement requires the weapon spec feat, which requires 4 fighter levels. And the tier 4 one similarly requires 8 fighter levels due to feat prereq, so just fighter 2 (for 2 feats) with the tier 1 enhancements is fine for the splash.

For self-healing, I took the reconstruct SLA from the bladeforged tree, and it gives comparable healing to your cure spell (atm, it heals 250 hp with only a 72 recon item, for 25 sp). Repair scrolls probably wouldn't be nearly as much use for me as heal scrolls would be for your human build, though.
    Nice! Yeah that works. I almost never use heal scrolls anyway due to having sufficient bluebar healing, so you shouldn't have too many problems.

Quote Originally Posted by EllisDee37 View Post
    Well, hmmm. If you go with 10 int that's 8 UMD per rogue level, meaning 3 rogue levels would be sufficient to max out UMD all alone with no UMD ranks spent on any other levels. If you go this route, make level 20 a rogue level. Rogue 3 at least gets an extra sneak die so it isn't wasted.

That leaves 2 fighter levels for kensei haste boost, extra action boost, +tactical dc, etc... Note that the tier 3 kensei weapon damage enhancement requires the weapon spec feat, which requires 4 fighter levels. And the tier 4 one similarly requires 8 fighter levels due to feat prereq, so just fighter 2 (for 2 feats) with the tier 1 enhancements is fine for the splash.
    I hadn't noticed the requirements for tier 3 and above for kensei, I guess that makes your build the way to go for my paladin since fighter 5 was mostly worth it for the extra crit range in tier 5 kensei, and if I can't get that...

On enhancements, the only way my bladeforged would differ is that I only spent 12 ap in the racial tree, and picked up the first 4 core enhancements for +2 con and +50% fort, and the tier 3 recon SLA. That means I have 5 free points, there is some nice stuff like +3 tactical DCs I could pick in there, or get some more in class trees.

Nice! Yeah that works. I almost never use heal scrolls anyway due to having sufficient bluebar healing, so you shouldn't have too many problems.
    Ok. I might need to use scrolls though, since I have very little gear for this char (it's my first melee character), and I'll probably have pretty low sp until I can have him make a shroud sp item.

Aside from that, I've tried to play him as a lvl 15 pally in the new quests, and his survivability seems pretty low right now. Of course, tackling lvl 16 quests you don't know on an ungeared lvl 15 character is really hard, so that may just be starting pains, and me not being very good at playing a melee yet.

Still, most of the damage I take right now comes from melee mobs, and I think I need increased damage mitigation. I suppose UMD is used for blur and displacement scrolls as well as self-healing, and I'm set for fortification at 152% atm, but I still need to get some dodge and DR I think.
    Any thoughts on the best way to get those?

Much of my damage mitigation is from movement. But if you want passive mitigation, a few thoughts on easy-to-acquire gear:

- Cloak of Invisibility (solo-farmable in tempest spine if you can hit 18 int) gives ghostly + a green slot for resistance
    - Bracers of wind (any level) gives permablur
    - Combining ring of the mire with a crafted docent of axeblock gives dr/bludgeon, which is helpful
    - tossing life shield on that docent ups the survivability factor

Community Member

- Bracers of wind (any level) gives permablur
    As does the Greater Nimble Trinket from Crystal Cove. (Also 1% dodge and attack competence +1.)
    Last edited by mna; 08-21-2013 at 04:27 PM.
    No longer completely f2p as of November 2014. Father of 3 more DDO players so far (I do have more children than that).

Community Member whereispowderedsilve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mna View Post
    As does the Greater Nimble Trinket from Crystal Cove. (Also 1% dodge and attack competence +1.)
    Just saying the trinket slot is where the starter gear has the repair amp item on it(For Bladeforged). Just saying! :P! ! Still a good idea tho I guess!
    http://dillonpfaff5.wix.com/theob Sign this!!!: http://goo.gl/vS6htg

DDO toll free support phone#: 855-WBGAMES (855-924-2637)

Community Member

So wait..... I redid the enhancements on my paly/monk and was very PO'd to find out that unyielding sovereignty was gone. Now I see it's on your list as a paladin feat or something? Someone explain to my what's required for me to get this back?

It's now a paladin (and cleric) bonus feat, granted at level 6. The "follower of" is also now a bonus feat granted at level 1.

Community Member

It's now a paladin (and cleric) bonus feat, granted at level 6. The "follower of" is also now a bonus feat granted at level 1.
    So do I have to LR to get it? I'm not at home or I would check my feats list.

What, if anything, would you change for a Iconic PDK? I'm really liking this build for my first Pally (I've played pretty much every other class), and was thinking of switching CHA and STR around - so 14 STR and 18 CHA for 32pt build, all level ups in CHA (for the PDK "use CHA mod for attack/damage" thing). I'm not convinced that's the way to go, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ertay View Post
    While they were at it though, the devs decided to go on an incredible nerfhammer rampage and left nothing in their wake standing...

Community Member

probably a ridiculously silly question but what character planner did you use for this? looks like the one I have but mine doesn't have the new enhancement system or the extra lvl cap stuff, did you redo some of it by hand or is there a version im missing :P

Quote Originally Posted by Inoukchuk View Post
    So do I have to LR to get it? I'm not at home or I would check my feats list.
    I'm about to LR my cleric; I'll check before I do if Fred will let me swap in Unyielding Sov before I eat the heart. Paladins should work the same way.

I already switched my pally from the old build over to this new version, and I'm quite pleased. Significant jump in dps with virtually no reduction in self-healing. Plus he gets DDoor and Unyielding Sov, neither of which he had before. And his action boosts are much stronger. Big thumbs up!

Quote Originally Posted by PNellesen View Post
    What, if anything, would you change for a Iconic PDK?
    I'm not entirely sure; I haven't looked at iconics and am still in the process of redoing my characters on live to match the builds I posted. As a general rule I never LR/TR or even roll up a brand new character without first hammering out the details of the entire life ahead of time.

Quote Originally Posted by l0rddan View Post
    probably a ridiculously silly question but what character planner did you use for this? looks like the one I have but mine doesn't have the new enhancement system or the extra lvl cap stuff, did you redo some of it by hand or is there a version im missing :P
    By hand. I've always done quite a bit of manual customization to the forum output of the planner; the headers are completely different, skills list, feat summary, destiny+twists, etc...

Community Member

Default Elf version?

I'm trying this build (or a close variant) with an Elf. She was a Fighter 8 Paladin 6 and needed two tome (+3 CON and +2 STR) to come back to her pre-Shadowfell HP level anyway so the change in levels (i.e loss of toughness from stalwart defender enhancements) didn't impact much. Not being a human costs, but so far so good. She's much more fun to play, & more survivable.

Was wondering if there was any advice on the Elf tree for this build. I'm ignoring the dragonmark and weapons training (the Fighter and Paladin levels cover my THF & slashing weapon needs) as well as the Child of Nature enhancement. But I'm taking the Fey wild, Arcanum, Arcane Fluidity, Keen Senses, Nothing is hidden and Feysight enhancements. The reason I'm dropping the dragonmark is because as an Elf I had to choose between Powered Attack or it and PA is more useful IMHO. Any advice on whether the Dragonmark of Shadow would be useful for this build? Or whether Grace and Valenar Weapon training would be worth the points?

Quote Originally Posted by Cailil365 View Post
    Any advice on whether the Dragonmark of Shadow would be useful for this build?
    The dragonmark of shadow is highly useful, yes. It's a displacement clickie, and displacement is one of the most powerful damage-mitigation tools there is. I would advise taking it as early as possible and with as many extra uses as possible just as this build does with DDoor, but the feats may be tight. Lemme take a look. (Also, unlike all other displacement I believe the dragonmark can be cast on other people.)

...it's an easy swap, and I definitely recommend it. Essentially, drop Extend -- which is purely a "quality of life" feat -- as the feat you lose due to not getting the human bonus feat:

1 : Power Attack
    1H: (doesn't exist)
    2F: Cleave
    3 : Least Dragonmark of Shadow (was THF)
    3P: Follower of the Sovereign Host
    6 : Great Cleave
    8P: Unyielding Sovereignty
    9 : Improved Critical: Slashing
    12 : Empower Healing Spell
    15 : THF (was Extend)
    18 : Improved Two Handed Fighting
    19F: Greater Two Handed Fighting
    21E: Quicken Spell
    24E: Overwhelming Critical
    26E: Toughness
    27E: Blinding Speed
    28E: Perfect Two Handed Fighting

I think you may have to take silver flame/undying call instead of sovereign host/unyielding sov; not sure. Undying Call is a free raise dead clickie, though, so it's not all bad either way.

The downside to going elf is that you lose a third of your heals due to no improved recovery. That's a pretty significant hit, especially in the teens, but if you're committed to elf then this is the way I would go.

Community Member

I think you may have to take silver flame/undying call instead of sovereign host/unyielding sov; not sure. Undying Call is a free raise dead clickie, though, so it's not all bad either way.
    I can take sovereign Host it's fine, and thanks for the advice re: the dragonmark! That's very helpful Will give this a whirl and leave some feedback when I hit Lv20

Community Member

Healing Amp
    10 human
    10 human
    10 human
    10 pally
    10 pally
    10 pally
    30 gloves
    20 bracers
    10 ship
    ----
    304%
    Small correction, human healing amp and paladin healing amp stack multiplicatively with each other but only additively with additional instances of themselves. Therefore your healing amp is actually 100*(1.3*1.3*1.3*1.2*1.1) = 290%

Quote Originally Posted by Neoxxz View Post
    Small correction, human healing amp and paladin healing amp stack multiplicatively with each other but only additively with additional instances of themselves. Therefore your healing amp is actually 100*(1.3*1.3*1.3*1.2*1.1) = 290%
    Is this a confirmed change? Because how you explain it is not how it has worked for the past year or so. The only additive amp in the game was paladin past life amp and the finger necklace. Enhancements changed to be multiplicative with themselves around the time MotU went live.

Is this a confirmed change? Because how you explain it is not how it has worked for the past year or so. The only additive amp in the game was paladin past life amp and the finger necklace. Enhancements changed to be multiplicative with themselves around the time MotU went live.
    Please ignore him, He is wrong.

I didn't post a pic from lammania at the time, but I did bump my old healing amp thread.

every healing amp increase from racial / prestige enhancements still stacks multiplicatively.

Quote Originally Posted by fTdOmen View Post
    I didn't post a pic from lammania at the time, but I did bump my old healing amp thread.
    Thanks much, I tried several searches but couldn't find that thread and then the servers were down so I couldn't post a screenshot. Then I forgot. heh.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast