Default Fighter vs Paladin

With reaper mode incoming, I've been thinking of making a tank (not a vanguard or kensei S&B: an actual tank). Somebody that can hold aggro and intimidate while being able to take a beating.

The thing is, I can't quite decide which would be better: paladin or fighter?

Paladin:
    - Self healing is nerfed in reaper mode, but you can heal others with spells and lay on hands
    - High base AC, healing amplification, and saves + supportive aura
    - Slightly higher PRR/MRR over fighter due to defender cores
    - Sacred bonuses to threat in defender don't stack with sacred bonuses to threat in sentinel (unless I'm mistaken)

Fighter:
    - Superior tactics DC's for stuns, trips, and knockdowns
    - More feats = more damage and plenty of room for THF feats, skill focus: intimidate, bastard sword/dwarven axe proficiency, free tower shield proficiency, etc
    - No self healing in heroics, but if you're going to be in the sentinel destiny as a tank, you're going to get renewal and lay on hands
    - Stalwart Defender has superior damage and tactical potential over Sacred Defender

I'm leaning towards a dwarf fighter with high con for damage (damage taking a backseat to threat increases, intimidate, and survivability). But I'm just not sure. Should I give up on a tank and just focus on a healer druid or cleric?
    Last edited by HastyPudding; 01-23-2017 at 09:57 AM.

Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar

Sacred Defender can get +30 PRR/MRR over Stalwart D.; but ftr can pick up +30 PRR/MRR from heavy armor feats. So it's a wash but they have different opportunity costs: pallies have to go heavy into their lowest-DPS PrE while ftr have to spend 4 outta 11 bonus feats.

On the flip side, two of pally's biggest DPS buffs come from spells (Zeal+Holy Sword), so they're always "free;" ftr has to invest heavily into Kensei to replicate them, although the other upside is a lot more Melee Power.

EDIT: fixed post based on correction from Selvera.
    Last edited by unbongwah; 01-23-2017 at 02:34 PM.
    Revisiting the Classics: Axesinger / Dwarven Defender / Drow Ninja / Drow Paladin / Elven Ranger / Monkcher / Sacred Vanguard
    Other build threads: Cleric Domains / Kundarak Brigade / Iconic Builds
    My Build Index: a Motley Menagerie of Original Rapscallions, Pugilists, and Gimps!

Quote Originally Posted by unbongwah View Post
    Sacred Defender can get +40 PRR/MRR over Stalwart D.; but ftr can pick up +30 PRR/MRR from heavy armor feats. So pally still comes out ahead, but only if you invest heavily into the low-DPS PrE.

On the flip side, two of pally's biggest DPS buffs come from spells (Zeal+Holy Sword), so they're always "free;" ftr has to invest heavily into Kensei to replicate them, although the other upside is a lot more Melee Power.
    Stalwart Defender also has +3 enhancement bonus to weapons and shields and no-save knockdowns on shield bash vorpals. I'm so indecisive on these things...

I'm expecting to see a few extra Elvin Steel Maidens (fighter/paladin/wizard multi-class for maximum AC) pop up when reaper hits, but it's always nice to think of what the pure classes can bring to the table.

As a note: Both fighter and paladin can get +65 PRR/MRR from their class/tree so I'll leave that off the list.
    (Fighter: +25 stance, +30 feats, +10 capstone) (Paladin: +25 stance, +25 cores, +15 T5s)
    Both also have access to an identical vanguard enhancement tree, so I'll leave that off the list as well.

Paladin:
    - "Free" boosts to damage in the form of the zeal and holy sword spells that don't cost AP or feats
    - Smite Evil is a nice damage spike against evil enemies, and can be made much better with AP investment (if you want to go that route)
    - If you decide to go the route of KotC instead or as well as vanguard as secondary trees, you'll be pleased to know that the bonus damage procs on all glancing blows.
    - If you're willing to multiclass or drop a +1 heart of wood, they can get bastard-sword proficiency free (helm), otherwise, they get a different goodie such as a full heal for free (sovereign host)
    - Much easier to get super-high saves. (This is a big one)
    - A fair bit more positive spell power and a number of heals to use it with (although in reaper this would be for allies; maybe for your party's cleric if you have one)
    - Very easy to get raise dead (get it as a spell AND have 100% chance on scrolls, regardless of UMD, and UMD should be easy to get high via cha)

Fighter:
    - Lots of feats make it easy to get pretty much everything you need. (Read: Glancing blows and tactics)
    - Stalwart has slightly more damage built into the tree (+3 weapon bonus, action boost makes all melee attacks mini-cleave, attack grants 25% double-strike for a short time.)
    - If you decide to go kensai as a secondary tree, it can get a lot of melee power and make up some of the crit profile difference. (If you want stalwart T5s, you can't get the full +1 range/multi) Kensai is also really good for base damage.
    - Tower shield proficiency free
    - Shield knocks down on vorpal (good if you decide to use vanguard as a secondary tree)
    - Much easier to get good DCs for tactics.
    - Slightly higher fortification and constitution.
    - An action boost which makes you very tanky for a short duration (20 seconds?). However, this does not give you more HP, just maximum HP so you'll have to be healed when you use it. the PRR/MRR is still very nice, and the healing is good outside of reaper.
    Selvera: Shadarkai Druid 11/ Monk 6/ Rogue 3/ Epic 3; Qstaff build
    Jen: Shadarkai Ranger 12/ Rogue 2/ Fighter 4; Skyrim Archer
    Mayve: Drow Fvs 15/ Monk 5/Epic 10; Ninja Healer

Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Selvera View Post
    As a note: Both fighter and paladin can get +65 PRR/MRR from their class/tree so I'll leave that off the list.
    (Fighter: +25 stance, +30 feats, +10 capstone) (Paladin: +25 stance, +25 cores, +15 T5s)
    Oops, I misread Stalwart D. I thought the +10 PRR was part of the clickie so I didn't include it. I blame lack of coffee!
    Revisiting the Classics: Axesinger / Dwarven Defender / Drow Ninja / Drow Paladin / Elven Ranger / Monkcher / Sacred Vanguard
    Other build threads: Cleric Domains / Kundarak Brigade / Iconic Builds
    My Build Index: a Motley Menagerie of Original Rapscallions, Pugilists, and Gimps!