* First off go to work or otherwise ignore DDO until at least 3PM/After getting off work (minimum 5 hours after scheduled maintenance is supposed to end).
* Log into forums and read the first post that says "still down" check time stamp.
* Go to plan A or B
Plan A) Figure out what movie you're going to watch tonight/Restaurant you'll take your S/O to.
* Check forums occasionally from phone: if still down, go back to plan A if up, check for "long logins and delays" posts before abandoning plan A. Consider if you wish to accept frustration potential of sitting in slow login que. Also potential for lag and server crashes when you do get in. Oh and I guess also consider significant other frustration potential for cutting "date night" short.
Plan B) spend all day/night posting on forums.
* Check forums frequently: if still down, go back to plan B, consider last minute switch to plan A. If up, check for "long logins and delays" posts if you still wish to proceed accept frustration potential of sitting in que.
Spicing up plan B: For those of you set on Plan B, and in the interest of peak angst and hand ringing, so as to get Turbine to give free loot/XP bonuses and TP consider doing one or more of the following to make your belly aching sound more impressive and notch up the emotional drama:
* Take a Flex day/Sick day/Vacation day off from work
* Beg out of important social commitment (funerals, weddings etc.)
* Give away your pre-season tickets and blab to football buddies that you're staying home to play Dungeons and Dragons!!!! This will add "WHAT HAVE I DONE" emotional abuse to the next time you meet up with the guys, which you will realize approximately half way through tomorrow, adding to the emotional pitch and tenor of your posts.
* Invite lots of gaming buddies to log in to DDO for the first time, this will add "way to make me look bad Turbine"
* Related: plan and schedule a big "guild day" of raiding for tomorrow.
* Make up something dramatic "I left my dieing Grandparents in the hospital to play!!!" it doesn't need to be believable no one will take it seriously even if it is.
* Rant and rave about how your job as a spread sheet programmer that required 2 years of community college would be in jeopardy if you missed a deadline by 5+ hours.
All of these tips are intended to ensure we the player base enjoy as much free TP's and added "bonus days" of higher XP and loot bonuses as we possibly can as compensation for the "extended downtime" that we TOTALLY DIDN'T KNOW WAS GOING TO HAPPEN. So in the interest of that we will also need:
* Fanboys to ratchet up the chivalry, it would help if you all would please yell "I SACRIFICE MYSELF FOR THE HONOR OF TURBINE" or some other "once more into the breach" war cry before every "battle"
* Haters, you're not left out either, your role is vital, lots of demands for firings and hiring 7-11 staff and monkeys as replacements.
* even those of us who consider ourselves "above the fray" can contribute by being kinda ******y and dismissive towards both Haters and Fanboys ... hmmm okay consider this my contribution to the cause.
The maintenance actually ends when scheduled and there's no crashes/major brokeness/long lines to get in: In that case pinch yourself self wake up from dream and check forums for "still down" posts. Decide on plan A or B.