Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 81 to 100 of 136
  1. #81
    Community Member Thrudh's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    17,004

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ironclans_evil_twin View Post
    They HAVE been given a bump, but everything else in the pass except Pali's where shot out of a catapult. This is where we're not seeing eye to eye.
    Didn't you post a while back asking why the devs were nerfing everyone with this new EP?
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Troll View Post
    We are no more d000m'd then we were a week ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eth View Post
    When you stop caring about xp/min this game becomes really fun. Trust me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary_Gygax
    No single character has all the skills and resources needed to guarantee success in all endeavors; favorable results can usually only be achieved through group effort. No single player character wins, in the sense that he or she defeats all other player characters; the goal of the forces of good can only be attained through cooperation, so that victory is a group achievement rather than an individual one.

  2. #82
    Community Member Thrudh's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    17,004

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Charononus View Post
    Actually started planning my bard life, one thing I think that would be incredibly synergistic with a warchanter would be a 1 or 2 cleric splash. You'd be able to take full ranks of heal at that point to get your devotion up a little more, and since you'd have some cha you could pick up divine might for the insightful addition to str. Then mix the rest in with probably fighter since I don't care for barb mixes since raging prevents casting.
    That is a very interesting idea... Could go CHA-based and get Divine Might...

    Hmmm...

    My bard is a 15/5 bard/rogue... I bet I could I squeeze two levels of cleric in there... Maybe 15/3/2.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Troll View Post
    We are no more d000m'd then we were a week ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eth View Post
    When you stop caring about xp/min this game becomes really fun. Trust me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary_Gygax
    No single character has all the skills and resources needed to guarantee success in all endeavors; favorable results can usually only be achieved through group effort. No single player character wins, in the sense that he or she defeats all other player characters; the goal of the forces of good can only be attained through cooperation, so that victory is a group achievement rather than an individual one.

  3. #83
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    2,302

    Default

    Bard combat songs are indeed marginalized in today's DDO. One thing is that many unique song effects are now available from different sources. Another thing is that the song bonuses are now relatively smaller compared to other bonuses that we can get.

    For example, Inspire Courage. Morale bonus to attack is easily found on GH (+4), few extra points from song are not tremendously important. Though it never hurts. Morale bonus to damage still remains a unique benefit, the only other source being Good Hope (+2; bard spell or clickies). Realistically, most current warchanters have a +8 to damage here. Pure wc has +9. Splashed non-warchanters have a +6. Fatesinger destiny adds only an extra +2 (T4 and T5 abilities). After today, most bards will probably have a +4 damage song (+3 from bard 14, +1 from warchanter second core ability). Some will perhaps pick another +1 by investing 20+ AP in the warchanter tree. Only the most crazy warchanters 20 will get the maximum benefit at +6. Pretty big nerf imho.

    Why were bards popular in the past:
    * extended displace for entire party => gone
    * extra combat damage for entire party => benefit decreased; and relative value lower as other damage bonuses are much higher (hello Deadly XII)
    * rage => primal scream
    * haste => items, epic feat
    * healer => byoh

    In the current byoh, solo/uncooperative world, bards can perform ok.
    * solid self-healing (cocoon / ccw / heal scrolls)
    * great CC (OID, pin, whistler, adrenaline+overwhelming force, fascinate)
    * average mitigation (easy displace, but no dodge, no incorporeality)
    * solid DPS from EDs, though feats are tight to incorporate multiple roles (melee + furyshot + extend + heals) (enh.pass helps here by removing feat prereqs)
    * solid utility (ddoor, often traps and/or haggle)
    * bad saves (FoM is great, clickies needed for the rest, reflex still sucks even if you dip for evasion)

  4. #84
    Community Member NaturalHazard's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    8,866

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cru121 View Post
    * average mitigation (easy displace, but no dodge, no incorporeality)
    *
    I know its only a tiny amount but can get some dodge from a song no? Inspire heroics?

  5. #85
    Community Member eachna_gislin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    587

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ironclans_evil_twin View Post
    Also realize that because Bards are SO FAR BEHIND (they are objectively the worst class in the game at every single thing they supposed to be good at)
    Buffing Arti > Bard
    CC any 9 spell level class > Bard
    Spell DPS any class that has a DPS spell > Bard
    Healing EVERY group heal capable class > Bard
    Melee, every weak melee including FvS, Arti, Cleric and Paladin > Bard.
    Songs: Ship buffs > Bards

    So sad even an inanimate ship buff pwns Bards. and they don't take up a party slot or raise scaling
    Not saying that Bards aren't weak too...

    But, Paladins are pretty low (high?) on the suck scale

    Turning Cleric > Paladin
    Healing Bard or Druid > Paladin
    Melee class (any) > Paladin
    Tanking Monk or Fighter > Paladin

    Heck, Paladins aren't even the best at destroying either Undead or Evil Outsiders. A Disruption or Banishing weapon will do the job better.

  6. #86
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    2,302

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NaturalHazard View Post
    I know its only a tiny amount but can get some dodge from a song no? Inspire heroics?
    You're right. And I guess it's probably worth singing with Epic Elyd Edge making it an AoE effect (normally the song is single target only).

  7. #87
    Community Member NaturalHazard's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    8,866

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cru121 View Post
    You're right. And I guess it's probably worth singing with Epic Elyd Edge making it an AoE effect (normally the song is single target only).
    Yep I use it on my bard who has that rapier.

  8. #88
    Community Member Raithe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    3,482

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cru121 View Post
    Why were bards popular in the past:
    * extended displace for entire party => gone
    * extra combat damage for entire party => benefit decreased; and relative value lower as other damage bonuses are much higher (hello Deadly XII)
    * rage => primal scream
    * haste => items, epic feat
    * healer => byoh
    Ya, this stopped being true about the time they released the bard PrEs. I was actually OK with most of these aspects of bard, though I did think the +7 to +9 bonus to-hit was over-the-top in the old D20 world. You were basically doubling the damage of the entire party. Can you say "12 instead of 6?"

    Then DDO went haywire with casters. The most overpowered aspects of bards has been and continues to be (up until 10am EST at least) Spellsong Vigor, Fascinate, and Inspire Excellence. +1 to EVERY DC, +1 to EVERY save, +1 to EVERY skill, +1 damage, and +1 to-hit, then times that by the number of people in your group. It would be LESS powerful if it was simply a +12 to strength.

    I laugh at the person calling fascinate on the bases of VoN 6 "cheese." There was a time when fascinate was most definitely cheese, because it was no-fail and there was no dungeon alert. That is no longer true. Fascinate is the premier CC ability, and needs to be managed with some amount of game knowledge and finesse to even be useful. That part they finally got mostly right.

    Spellsong vigor is still utterly ludicrous. People that don't even list it in their list of bard pros/cons simply have no business stating their opinion in this thread. It is simply one of the most overpowered mechanics in the game. It and the ever-recharging radiant aura/blast have been the two most broken aspects of the game when singling out individual abilities (at least among those that weren't borderline exploits).

    My bard has seen every enhancement change that has ever occurred in DDO, and has never been made relatively worse when compared with other classes. Bards are so overpowered right now I've stopped comparing them. The only people that don't understand what bards do for groups in DDO are the people stuck in simplistic kill count analysis. In other words, ignore the noobs.

  9. #89
    2014 DDO Players Council
    SirValentine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Korea (temporarily)
    Posts
    5,419

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ironclans_evil_twin View Post
    In groups where a bard zips ahead and facinates a room a few times, the mobs are all instantly released with the first AOE that lands, because again in the actual game, no one cares that you can make a mob not do anything until it's hit. Saying this is the best CC DC is only true if you only play your bard on the forums, or statics/guild EE runs.
    If you're playing in easy content, it's so powerful it's overkill. And if you're playing in tough content and your party is not taking advantage of it, they are idiots. Either way doesn't change how powerful it is.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ironclans_evil_twin View Post
    Eye popping and gee wiz holy wow'ing over a couple SLA's that are comparable to Druid's SLA's excpet a more powerful DOT
    Exactly! A elemental spell-damage-specialized full-caster class, versus a non-spell-DPS class, and you think that's appropriate?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ironclans_evil_twin View Post
    That crazyness as you call it is a pale shade of what Wizards are getting (they will be able to take Pale Master tier 5's and Archmage up to tier 4's... Something like 7 or 8 SLA's without looking at the PDF... You are thinking about live caster DPS and comparing my suggestion to it.... Meanwhile the field has long since lapped Bards on Lam.
    Nope. I'm looking at you suggesting Bards should have more spell DPS than Druids, etc., the exact same way I'd view suggestions that Wizards should have better melee DPS than Fighters.

    I've never said, "Bards get a great deal in the enhancement pass!" Never. (I also never said they got shafted.) If you want to suggest things to make Bards better at what Bards do, or somewhat more flexible, I probably won't disagree. But to make them much better at something that is not there core area, and better at it than the classes that specialize in it, is still idiotic.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ironclans_evil_twin View Post
    I didn't say they could put both on
    If you want to try to twist your own words now, whatever.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ironclans_evil_twin View Post
    And I'm sorry you have no idea how many of your buffs did nothing, even after I've tried to tell you. This is not some secret I've been keeping
    You keep making this claim, without backing it up at all. Clearly, it is some secret you're keeping. Or just plain nonsense.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ironclans_evil_twin View Post
    Let me explain: A Bard has to go pure 20 to get Heal and a Flavortastic but totally useless 50sp wail of the banshee. A 20 Bard took at least 4 levels that did almost no good from a min/max standpoint... No extra feats, no evasion, no extra spell levels. The payoff now will be that they can cast a spell that Druids (that already do better DPS) get at 17th level. Hurray for getting second shrift.
    They are 2 different classes. It's still unrelated.

    By that un-logic, taking a 12th level of FvS is wasted because Cleric gets Heal at level 11. And, boy, those Druids just wasted 6 levels by not stopping at 11, too. And your Bard shouldn't have stopped at 17, but at 11.

    If you want to only take 11 Bard levels, or 17 Bard levels, who's stopping you? Not Druids. Or Clerics. I see lots of splashed Bards around.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ironclans_evil_twin View Post
    Effectively useless except in VERY specific situations where is it increadibly usefull and powerful (in groups that cooperate at a high level).
    "Not needed in easy content" (reality) and "effectively useless" (falsehood) are not the same thing. But, wow, I've finally got you to admit that it is incredibly useful and powerful! You're on your way!

    Quote Originally Posted by Ironclans_evil_twin View Post
    You don't see them because you don't want to. No matter, I'm not the only one who's noticed that many Bard songs give out bonuses that have been made available on gear, in ED's and via ship buffs. If you refuse to believe it that's your problem.
    Again, you keep making this claim without backing it up. How about you make a complete list for us? Since some of the things you've been half-way hinting about not stacking I know are wrong, I'll have fun nitpicking that list apart, too.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ironclans_evil_twin View Post
    You display a distinct lack of familiarity with whats going down tomorrow, and ignore specific examples of ways Bard's have lost power on an already weak class.
    I don't play a Bard, so of course I didn't dig deep into the details. I just don't care. And I have no objections to Bards getting better enhancements if needed.

    I just object to stupidly over-powered and inappropriate-to-the-class ideas, and to blatant falsehoods.

  10. #90
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    2,736

    Default

    As I wrote in another thread, as someone who likes the idea behind bards very much, I keep pushing out my bard life in the hope that they will be improved. Instead, despite being far from the most powerful class, they seem to keep getting worse, which is really strange.

    Unless, of course, the complainers are all incorrect. Wouldn't be the first time.

    I still think bards are cool and look forward to playing one. Even if it's not the most powerful class around.

  11. #91
    Blogger and Hatchery Hero
    2015 DDO Players Council
    katz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Texas - the most "MURICA!" part of 'murica! rawr
    Posts
    3,425

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ironclans_evil_twin View Post
    And no offense to you but you've already had one post removed because of the emotional content of your argument, and that's why I haven't responded to you. Just saying "Bard buffs are fine" either says that you don't mind losing power on a weak class (or will just accept anything willingly) or shows that you are unwilling to look at the class objectively. I'm not interested in arguing with someone who denies that bard buffs being given out on items and ED abilities hurts the class. I think attitudes where someone is willing to accept or justify anything at all do not need anyone to argue against them because most reasonable people will disregard it anyway.

    Again "wozers and geewilikers those SLA's are totally over powered" just means you're not seeing the forest for the trees. Those SLA's just give Bards a still very weak comparative spell DPS option, where other "utility/support" classes still are miles ahead in DPS.
    mmm. sorry for that. i hope you didn't get hit with the infract bat. not actually my intention. however, if by "emotional" you mean alternating between LOL and pity... yeah, i got that in spades.

    please re-read what i wrote. i didn't dismissively say bard buffs were fine. i countered your argument that bard buffs were worthless because they could be gotten elsewhere. you haven't answered me on that point. still waiting. if you CAN'T counter me, then guess what, you're wrong, and no amount of repetition will make you right.

    the "other utility/support classes" you keep pointing at as examples....druids are full spellcasters with 9 spell levels. i would expect them to be better than bards in the spell department. arti's are the only ones that compare with 6 spell levels... and personaly, i've always been of the opinion they were a little OP. but... to compare them arti's get damage focused spells, bards get CC focused spells. artis get somewhat better "heals"... but only toward constructs... artis can also throw (literally) 'mass' cures in the form of curative admixtures, but each cast costs a pot of the appropriate kind. handy and useful perhaps, but can get costly, and when was the last time you saw an arti use this aside from throwing curse pots in raids? it's already been pointed out by several people how bard's song ends up being better than deadly weapons. (both together is divine however... mmmmm. <3 <3 <3 anyways... ) so now down to the damage... arti's big hoorah in the damage department is blade barrier... and for bards it's greater shout. BB is the clear winner in straightup damage, but for a bard who's focused on the spellcasting aspect (which you did, apparently) Greater Shout is a tool... it's Soundburst's big granddaddy... an AoE stun with an (admittedly not so great) damage component... yet another bard spell that is CC as either it's primary or secondary function. artis and bards both get UMD and wand and scroll mastery, so any spell on a scroll or wand is fair game.

    bards can use a LITTLE love... perhaps a boost to Greater Shout's damage to make it more useful... perhaps a small sonic dot as a spell not an SLA, and i'll admit, the news that 'wall of sound' was not making it in did make me a little sad... but to ask that bards get damaging spells and/or SLAs on par with wizards sorcerers and druids... nope. ain't happenin', nor should it ever.

    i await your rebuttal

    the official home of LOLWUT

    LONG LIVE R.O.G.U.E ! Pay2Win AND PROUD
    Q: how do you get me to instantly appear in a thread? A: ask a bard question!

  12. #92
    Community Member Noctus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    In the green heart of GERMANY - where wilderness means the next village is 3 klicks away.
    Posts
    4,543

    Unhappy

    Quote Originally Posted by cru121 View Post
    Bard combat songs are indeed marginalized in today's DDO. One thing is that many unique song effects are now available from different sources. Another thing is that the song bonuses are now relatively smaller compared to other bonuses that we can get.

    For example, Inspire Courage. Morale bonus to attack is easily found on GH (+4), few extra points from song are not tremendously important. Though it never hurts. Morale bonus to damage still remains a unique benefit, the only other source being Good Hope (+2; bard spell or clickies). Realistically, most current warchanters have a +8 to damage here. Pure wc has +9. Splashed non-warchanters have a +6. Fatesinger destiny adds only an extra +2 (T4 and T5 abilities). After today, most bards will probably have a +4 damage song (+3 from bard 14, +1 from warchanter second core ability). Some will perhaps pick another +1 by investing 20+ AP in the warchanter tree. Only the most crazy warchanters 20 will get the maximum benefit at +6. Pretty big nerf imho.

    Why were bards popular in the past:
    * extended displace for entire party => gone
    * extra combat damage for entire party => benefit decreased; and relative value lower as other damage bonuses are much higher (hello Deadly XII)
    * rage => primal scream
    * haste => items, epic feat
    * healer => byoh

    In the current byoh, solo/uncooperative world, bards can perform ok.
    * solid self-healing (cocoon / ccw / heal scrolls)
    * great CC (OID, pin, whistler, adrenaline+overwhelming force, fascinate)
    * average mitigation (easy displace, but no dodge, no incorporeality)
    * solid DPS from EDs, though feats are tight to incorporate multiple roles (melee + furyshot + extend + heals) (enh.pass helps here by removing feat prereqs)
    * solid utility (ddoor, often traps and/or haggle)
    * bad saves (FoM is great, clickies needed for the rest, reflex still sucks even if you dip for evasion)

    /signed.

    A Warchanter was my main for over 4 years, through several lives to get PLs and several variations on his base-theme with LRs. But over time he has gotten less and less strong. His relative weight of contribution has gotten weak. When your average Pug-melee in your endgame (Shroud at cap16) did hit in the 30s the +damage and DR-song from a Warchanter in the raid was quiet noticeable in ease of completion, and especially when i was on my healer. Nowadays when everything has grown exponentially, i dont really notice it if we have a bard in a raid.

    The other damageboni have double and trippled over time and with EDs, while a Bard only gets +2 damage if he sticks to Fatesinger. Thats trivial when you look at what damageboosts other destinies give, even if you multiply the +2damage by the number of melees in your current group.


    @OP
    I'll reroll my Bard main into a Ranger/Rogue build, with details and perhaps a 3rd class determined by my feelings with the enhancements. Sad day.

    Last edited by Noctus; 08-19-2013 at 09:20 AM.
    Erzskalde (Warchanter) / Erzmarschall (melee FvS) / Erzsoldat (waiting for TR-time) / Erzschmied (ranged Artificer)

    AOK - From Argonnessen

  13. #93
    Community Member Chai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Wisconsin, birthplace of D&D
    Posts
    20,922

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ironclans_evil_twin View Post

    I will be the first to admit that a duo or static group that uses fascinate is going to be effective, but I play the real game that 99% of the rest of the players play, that just about never includes waiting for the Bard to fascinate, except in Epic Von 6's.
    You play "the real game" (LOL) which refuses to take advantage of everything the class can do arbitrarily, then turn around and call the class weak because the group refuses to take advantage of what a class can do. By this logic, any class can be called weak simply by the group refusing to allow the class to perform at its optimal level.

    99% of the rest of players arent playing your "real game" however. I play on 3 servers and have no issue getting people to use fascinate to its fullest. People in Fury use Overwhelming Force as the first strike on the mob they are killing, or are fury shotting the mobs. Casters are either instant killing mobs or using single target shiradi stuff. Anyone tossing AOE blindly to wake up fascinated mobs is doing it wrong.

    Refusal to take advantage of powerful abilities a class has doesnt make the class weak, it makes the playstyle weak.
    Advocating repeated nerfs in the name of "balancing the game" then complaining about how DDO is moving away from D&D, is a direct contradiction in logic - D&D 3.5 (what DDO is based on) is not a balanced game. We can either have a balanced clone MMO with homogenized classes, or we can have a D&D game. We cant have both.

  14. #94
    Community Member Teh_Troll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Under the bridge
    Posts
    5,874

    Default

    I have to admit I'm a fan of the "Enhanced Piking" line in the Spell Singer tree. I definitely intend on maxing that.

  15. #95
    Community Member maddmatt70's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    10,690

    Default

    I am not sure how I like my build or not. I lost a little IC, but have all the bard songs pretty much. Heal spell for about 1k, cocoon. 1700 spell points, 3k with supplements. Enthrallment is great, spellsong vigor. Poorish personal dps but not abysmal. A hardcore buff healbot. Probably my number one healing character really.
    Norg Fighter12/Paladin6/Monk2, Jacquiej Cleric18/Monk1/Wiz1, Rabiez Bard16/Ranger3/Cleric1, Hangover Bard L20, Boomsticks Fighter12/Monk 6/Druid 2, Grumblegut Ranger8/Paladin6/Monk6, Rabidly Rogue L20, Furiously Rogue10/Monk6/Paladin4, Snowcones Cleric 12/Ranger 6/Monk 2, Norge Barbarian 12/FVS4/Rogue4. Guild:Prophets of The New Republic Khyber.

  16. #96
    Blogger and Hatchery Hero
    2015 DDO Players Council
    katz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Texas - the most "MURICA!" part of 'murica! rawr
    Posts
    3,425

    Default

    well... i havn't changed my bard's levels at all. i might still... i'm not sure... but... i selected enhancements that appealed to me, and gave em a test drive.

    i've heard that the mob CRs are borked in Lords of Dust chain right now... cultists still lower like they supposed to be, but all the doggies and bosses are more like EE. so i gave it a spin.


    otto's irresistible still works fine... the rest of her buddies are enthralled in the next room patiently waiting for their turn to get their arse kicked


    o hey look. music of the dead works great still too.


    a bit hard for me to punch thru his SR being down 4 levels of bard and dumped charisma, but i still got him.


    what's this? a bard going toe-to-toe with the big baddie? at 43 CR not less?






    and as you can see, that wasn't even in a "combat" related destiny... that was in fatesinger.

    hmmm. i think i'll stay bard, thanks. ^_^
    Last edited by katz; 08-21-2013 at 09:26 PM.

    the official home of LOLWUT

    LONG LIVE R.O.G.U.E ! Pay2Win AND PROUD
    Q: how do you get me to instantly appear in a thread? A: ask a bard question!

  17. #97
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    90

    Default

    I love how half of the replies are from warchanters or str based bards/splashes. Of course there's not really any problems if you go that way. I feel a pure (not splash) charisma bard is missing a small option of doing some decent damage. Can anyone care to say why it would be so overpowered to have an option for cha to damage, just like rogues get int or dex to damage with some weapons.

    Also with reply to nukes if we are to stick with our crappy sonic nukes, do many people realise bards are missing some "core" damage spells with regards to shadow evocation/conjuration. They were in the 3.5 handbook for bards to use, and you could make conjuration/evo spells of up to 4th level with a extra will save chance. While they wouldn't be uber, a bard with good dc (not talking epic elite i mean for LEVELING you know bit what bard sucks at) should have option to firewall or toss a few nukes.

    Eiether option would open up a damage option for bards without being overpowered. The spells could be a simple pick of three spells like summons are, say melfs, acid blast or acid rain for conj, and scorching ray, fireball and firewall for evo. Mobs just get two saves using illusion dc, just like pk.

  18. #98
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    658

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by maddmatt70 View Post
    I am sorry that you do not know how to play a bard. The reality is a bard can heal a party through a difficult quest, they can cc a difficult quest, do some dps in this quest and all the while doing this buff everyone else. There is no class that can replicate these feats in DDO. I have many a time done a quest with just myself and 4-5 melee/ranged dps and I fulfill every other function then the dps function.

    Warchanter is not great I wish that this 41 ap requirement was not in the game, but whatever. It is not the good bards fault that so many people do not understand how to play a bard. I hate running with clerics and FVS and always have because they are inefficient at least when DDO is not about instakilling.
    I have to agree with Norg here. I was terrified of LRing my bard (pure Virt human bard) because of all the naysaying I heard. The character is more powerful than before. Perform is now over 100 - I was fascinating stuff on epic elite with no problems. In some of the new content on EH with the massive spawns the bard CC the quests, used wail for neg levels, and made 3-man EH runs a cakewalk (bard, rogue, wizard). I was not even in best destiny - probably would be able to contribute more offensively if I was.

    On top of this I could heal the party better than before (heal spells hitting 400-500) and I wasn't running out of sp because now healing CC bard has spellsinger stuff.

    If people are hating on bards it is because they don't understand how to play the class and what its strengths are.

    Vallin.

  19. #99
    Community Member AzB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    1,556

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by idle1 View Post
    Also with reply to nukes if we are to stick with our crappy sonic nukes, do many people realise bards are missing some "core" damage spells with regards to shadow evocation/conjuration. They were in the 3.5 handbook for bards to use, and you could make conjuration/evo spells of up to 4th level with a extra will save chance. While they wouldn't be uber, a bard with good dc (not talking epic elite i mean for LEVELING you know bit what bard sucks at) should have option to firewall or toss a few nukes.

    Totally and wholeheartedly agree. When I first started playing DDO and created a bard because my PnP bard was such a major bad mofo, I was incredibly disappointed.

    I mean, part of the reason he was so incredible was because PnP is a role playing game, and is not a video game. DDO is a video game based on a role playing game. The point here is that because DDO is a video game, you cannot expect a class like bard to be treated like it is in PnP. The role playing is pretty much non existent, at least by the pure game engine standards, so every class needs to have a purpose in combat.

    As you mention, bards in DnD have spells like firewall. Maybe not as powerful as a druid's firewall, but it is available. For some reason, I suppose "flavor", the devs decided that bards should only get sonic related spells. Which would be great except they are horribly underpowered and until recently, were very limited in how you could empower them.

    But bards have CC! Yeah, but the reality is that it's not really viable in epic levels, and for the most part CC is pointless when you have several other classes insta killing everything in the room. "Hey look fellas, I can make him dance!" "Huh? What? We can't hear you because we're 4 rooms ahead and everything's dead. Why isn't your guy dead? Why is he dancing?" Fascinate is tremendously powerful, but again, there's no point in the game as it's played. Everyone is playing like a monkey on crack, going as fast as possible through everything. Fascinate takes forever to sing, it breaks easily, and it doesn't actually hurt the monsters. So they still have to be killed. Again, the monks, barbs, juggs, and whatnot have already sprinted through the room at mach 4 and killed everything in their path. Fascinate does what? The only time I ever use it is soloing. And it's only because I have no insta kills. Or even rapid kills.

    And even if CC is viable, the bard is so far behind a wiz, or other caster, (other than fascinate) that it's pretty pointless anyway. The DCs are set for a full blown meta gamed wiz and a bard trying to keep up is starting from a severe disadvantage with no way to make it up.

    So that's why pretty much every successful bard mentioned in this thread is not pure. In fact, they're not even splashed. Most of them have 5 levels or more of another class. There's nothing wrong with doing this, of course, but I point it out because it simply illustrates how poor the bard class is for an action based video game. In the game's infancy, before all the power creep, many people were happy to play the bard as a support class. And again, if you think that it's fun to buff everyone and then stand back and watch them do all the heavy lifting while you toss a feeble heal here and there because the cleric is too busy or blocked, then more power to you. But the choice should be there for a bard that can offer some limited support options, but can kick buttocks when needed. (Warchanter seems like a natural extension of this idea, but has absolutely no teeth)

    So yes, you can make a bard. And if you are a skilled player, builder, and have some good gear and past lives, you can create a bard that will amaze people. Partly because the standard has been set so low, but mostly because of all the other things I've mentioned, as well as meta gaming the class structure to minimize the bard weaknesses by mixing in a heavy dose of something else.

    That's not a well designed class. That's a well researched meta game.

  20. #100
    Community Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    169

    Default

    Well my 1st life Bard 16/Fighter 4 Warchanter II in LD was an absolute monster. In most non-elite groups I'd easily be one of the strongest toons. Ever since MotU, I realised that Spellsingers bring much more to a group, but I never really wanted to play a caster Bard, so I never TR'd. Now that I have the opportunity, I'm thinking of going pure and perhaps a caster PRE. But I really hate the idea of giving up the ability to melee, what should I do with my Bard?

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload