Default PL Ranger= no bonus to thrown damage! Grrr!

The Past life ranger feat says it gives +2 to ranged damage, yet on Lammania my character with PL Ranger shows it adds +2 damage to all bows and crossbows, and NOT to thrown weapons!

Is this a bug?

Why are throwing builds given the shaft in every way/shape/form? Did someone once throw a rock or smoothie at a lead Dev who then decided to wreak his vengeance upon the poor throwers of DDO?
    Making DDO a better game 1 post at a time!

Triple EVERYTHING Completionist= Heroic 39/39, Iconic 12/12, Epic 36/36

Quote Originally Posted by Delacroix21 View Post
    Did someone once throw a rock or smoothie at a lead Dev who then decided to wreak his vengeance upon the poor throwers of DDO?

They deserved it.

I regret nothing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xeraphim View Post
    Fly? That would break every quest in the game. You would see folks falling from the sky in Korthos and dying. It would be a rain of newbs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dandonk View Post
    Yeah. It's not "we nuked the city from orbit", it's "the city experienced a brief population drop". Check.

The Past life ranger feat says it gives +2 to ranged damage, yet on Lammania my character with PL Ranger shows it adds +2 damage to all bows and crossbows, and NOT to thrown weapons!

Is this a bug?

Why are throwing builds given the shaft in every way/shape/form? Did someone once throw a rock or smoothie at a lead Dev who then decided to wreak his vengeance upon the poor throwers of DDO?
    Does it matter? I mean you aren't going to get much dps from it anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by Charononus View Post
    Does it matter? I mean you aren't going to get much dps from it anyways.
    +6 damage on a shuriken with a 50% chance to triple throw? thats borderline viable!

Quote Originally Posted by Dagolar View Post
    They deserved it.

I regret nothing.
    Curses!

Next Update= thrown weapons will no damage the attacker and heal the intended victim instead.
    small footnote= "Throw your slurpee in my window will ya!"

+6 damage on a shuriken with a 50% chance to triple throw? thats borderline viable!
    perspective the wolf build I'm playing with is 6[1d10] 17-20 x3 and a +15 str mod atm (yeah str is low, wis based for sf) and 24% doublestrike. I consider that build just barely viable.

Triple- Wait, does Ninja Spy stack with Shuriken Expertise?

Curses!

Next Update= thrown weapons will no damage the attacker and heal the intended victim instead.
    small footnote= "Throw your slurpee in my window will ya!"

Mm, well, they did remove consumable-based arti thrown healing infusions, so perhaps soon everyone will be able to throw healing pots.

And then everyone will.

Everyone.
    Last edited by Dagolar; 08-17-2013 at 10:26 PM.
    Fly? That would break every quest in the game. You would see folks falling from the sky in Korthos and dying. It would be a rain of newbs.
    Yeah. It's not "we nuked the city from orbit", it's "the city experienced a brief population drop". Check.

Community Member Ironclans_evil_twin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Charononus View Post
    perspective the wolf build I'm playing with is 6[1d10] 17-20 x3 and a +15 str mod atm (yeah str is low, wis based for sf) and 24% doublestrike. I consider that build just barely viable.
    if only you knew how many people rolled their eyes when they read this.

Community Member

Is this a bug?

From what I understand, ranged and thrown are separate categories.
    http://myaccount.turbine.com

Je ne suis pas
    DDO Alpha Tester

Quote Originally Posted by Tscheuss View Post
    From what I understand, ranged and thrown are separate categories.
    For imp critical feats yes, but in general ranged is supposed to mean both. Items like the crippling arrowhead trinket state ranged critical hits and mean both. Also new enhancements that are. A ranged attack work with both.

I honestly believe the person coding this made a boo boo, as even rangers don't use crossbows, and just forgot to include thrown weapons.

For imp critical feats yes, but in general ranged is supposed to mean both. Items like the crippling arrowhead trinket state ranged critical hits and mean both. Also new enhancements that are. A ranged attack work with both.

I honestly believe the person coding this made a boo boo, as even rangers don't use crossbows, and just forgot to include thrown weapons.
    They use 'missile weapons/attacks' to refer to both..
    Unfortunately, that is so far from consistant, or even notably present, that..
    Yeah, it's a random guess each time something comes up.

As far as the PL feat, I recall it working in the past on live with thrown attacks, so, not sure. It definitely OUGHT to, either way.

They use 'missile weapons/attacks' to refer to both..
    Unfortunately, that is so far from consistant, or even notably present, that..
    Yeah, it's a random guess each time something comes up.

As far as the PL feat, I recall it working in the past on live with thrown attacks, so, not sure. It definitely OUGHT to, either way.
    Past life Ranger

as it is and has always been on live

Community Member

Triple- Wait, does Ninja Spy stack with Shuriken Expertise?
    It doesn't stack but both have a chance to proc. So if you have say 33 dex. You get two chances of 33% chance to throw an extra star.

50% chance of a triple throw would indicate that he has about 75 dex. ;-p

It was quite tasty for a while with ninja poison (sting of the ninja or something) almost worthwhile making a shuriken character. However, they stealth nerfed it at the last minute and the poison now only procs on a critical with shurikens rather than on every hit.

Also the improved critical chance from either halfling or ninja spy enhancements still do not work, despite many posts and bug reports. But thats another story.

Quote Originally Posted by LupusVai View Post
    It doesn't stack but both have a chance to proc. So if you have say 33 dex. You get two chances of 33% chance to throw an extra star.

Ugh. So they went from making Shurikens the only viable throwing weapon, to making builds with Ninja Spy levels the only viable shuriken build.

That's really emphasizing build diversity, there :P