Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Community Member RavenStormclaw's Avatar

Default Rouge/monk hybrid, quarter staff, and the new enhancements, oh my!

So I just stoned my newest creation to 18 a rogue/monk quarter staff user in preparation for the new enhancements. Checking out the PDF produced on these forums I came up with the following math and was stunned. Thought maybe I'd see if I made a mistake so here's the math:

Using drow base dex of 20, final dex with all possible enhancements and level ups with +2 tome is 39 40 with +3 tome at level 20. (6 from enhancements, 6 from item)

first two tier of acrobat let you use dex to hit and damage with q staves so + 15 to hit and damage

Going up the acrobat tree and the Henson mystic tree (they should stack) nets you +8 to hit and + 12 to damage with qstaves. So total so far is +23 to hit and +27 to damage

now taking the top tier in both for the qstaves line nets you ( again assuming stacking ) +2 critical threat and critical multiplier... So with IC: bludgeon you have a staff with a 17-20 crit range and x4 multiplier.

That's when I went holy **** because we haven't even counted in SA damage yet. I mean is there a down side to this I'm not seeing?

Quote Originally Posted by RavenStormclaw View Post
    That's when I went holy **** because we haven't even counted in SA damage yet. I mean is there a down side to this I'm not seeing?
    Your building for a specific weapon?

Nice numbers/math
    Also, hope it all stacks and no bugs, like it not seeing a item marked as a Q-Staff as such. I would mostly worry about the bugs

Community Member

You can only take tier5 stuff from one tree, so you won't be able to take the "better staff crits" stuff twice.

I doubt the "Staff Training" stuff will stack from different trees, as they have the same name.

Geoff.

I'm going 8 rogue/12 fighter.. Kensei gives a lot of good stuff.. + damage/attack, a lot of special attacks and ofc a lot of feats And I prefer Kensei's tier 5 than rogue's

In the green heart of GERMANY - where wilderness means the next village is 3 klicks away.

Quote Originally Posted by GeoffWatson View Post
    You can only take tier5 stuff from one tree, so you won't be able to take the "better staff crits" stuff twice.

I doubt the "Staff Training" stuff will stack from different trees, as they have the same name.

Geoff.
    /what he said.

P.S.
    If something sounds almost too good to be true, ... it probably is.
    Erzskalde (Warchanter) / Erzmarschall (melee FvS) / Erzsoldat (waiting for TR-time) / Erzschmied (ranged Artificer)

AOK - From Argonnessen

Geoff.
    Quote Originally Posted by Noctus View Post
    /what he said.

P.S.
    If something sounds almost too good to be true, ... it probably is.
    Thank You guys for the clarification, I already bought a cool staff for a similar build. 4 monk, 4 rogue, 12 fighter - now that would be hell of a stacking bonus with kensai enhacements :P

Instead of drow you could consider HalfOrc as they get a racial bonus to two handed weapons?

One, two! One, two! and through and through. The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
    He left it dead, and with its head. He went galumphing back.

is rouge a new class coming with the update?

Not only that, but both of the tier 5 enhancements in question list it as a competence bonus. So they wouldn't stack even if you could take them both.

I've just tested on Lam and yes, both the Thief-Acrobat and Henshin Mystic "Staff Training" lines stack. All tiers up to 3 do, at least.
    Edit: And the Kensai weapon focus line stacks with both (though only tested to tier 2).
    Last edited by Urist; 08-17-2013 at 06:48 AM.

Community Member Phaeton_Seraph's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NaturalHazard View Post
    is rouge a new class coming with the update?
    It's a cosmetic class. You think people would just make up something like this? If they did, their faces sure would be red.

I considered changing my staff swinger to dex based after the update for better defenses, but I like tripping and stunning, so str based is still the way to go... for me at least.

But yeah, quarterstaff builds are getting some new goodies... can't wait.

Quote Originally Posted by Fennario View Post
    I considered changing my staff swinger to dex based after the update for better defenses, but I like tripping and stunning, so str based is still the way to go... for me at least.But yeah, quarterstaff builds are getting some new goodies... can't wait.
    Bah I forgot about the Tier 5 limit to 1... still that's 18-20 and x3 crit which is still darn good. With the stacking damage the +8/+12 still holds so that is good.Lastly, there is a staff trip enhancement that uses dex for the trip dc instead of strength.. so it really makes the dex based rogue q-staff viable... it also happens to be an AOE attack so even better.

I have always liked the idea of a q-staff rogue but the stats seemed like they were spread too thin for my tastes. This new enhancement pass will make me change my tune on this. What are you planning on having as starting stats?

When my monk wears rouge it has no effect on her combat ability

The ANTI-Realms FANBOI NUKE THE REALMS ITS THE ONLY REAL WAY TO BE SURE

Community Member

Possible down side:
    What is the attack speed bonus of Qstaff? Does it equal the number of attacks you get with TWF?

I got a rogue and another character i'm planning to change to Monk but i'm not looking into this because Assassin still gets vorpal strikes and TWF for more sneak attack damage so i'm expecting TWF rogue to still do more damage. (?) I don't know if this is accurate but just my impression.

On an upside, a Qstaff rogue would save 3 feats not needing to take TWF line. A lot you can get with this.. And would make a more versatile character..

Quote Originally Posted by supott View Post
    Possible down side:
    What is the attack speed bonus of Qstaff? Does it equal the number of attacks you get with TWF?
    There's a tier 1 enhancement in the thief-acrobat tree which gives a bonus 5/10/15% attack speed with quarterstaves IIRC. I don't remember seeing anything more elsewhere, but I could easily be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Mav145 View Post
    I have always liked the idea of a q-staff rogue but the stats seemed like they were spread too thin for my tastes. This new enhancement pass will make me change my tune on this. What are you planning on having as starting stats?
    I answer even if the question prob is not for me
    With my 4th life toon I'll do a halfling and start with

cheers

Quote Originally Posted by RavenStormclaw View Post
    So I just stoned my newest creation to 18 a rogue/monk quarter staff user in preparation for the new enhancements. Checking out the PDF produced on these forums I came up with the following math and was stunned. Thought maybe I'd see if I made a mistake so here's the math:

Using drow base dex of 20, final dex with all possible enhancements and level ups with +2 tome is 39 40 with +3 tome at level 20. (6 from enhancements, 6 from item)

first two tier of acrobat let you use dex to hit and damage with q staves so + 15 to hit and damage

Going up the acrobat tree and the Henson mystic tree (they should stack) nets you +8 to hit and + 12 to damage with qstaves. So total so far is +23 to hit and +27 to damage

now taking the top tier in both for the qstaves line nets you ( again assuming stacking ) +2 critical threat and critical multiplier... So with IC: bludgeon you have a staff with a 17-20 crit range and x4 multiplier.

My current monk rogue acrobat uses the stout oak walking stick far more often than her drow stick. 2[2d6] with an x3 base.
    If I convert her to Dex based to use the Dex mod to combat feats the stun 10 on my drow stick might be a lot more useful.

Of course sireth is the end goal
    Last edited by Toro12; 08-17-2013 at 10:26 AM.

I did this with a 12 Monk/8 Rogue split
    Uncanny Dodge+Monk Goodies+Feat for grandmaster stances. Full dex based, using sweeping strike for some really, really awesome crowd control.

30% Permanent attack speed boost. Buffable to much more.
    ~Sarlona~ - Proud Member of The Unrepentant
    Maelodic - Rockin all the day long
    Quote Originally Posted by Scraap View Post
    Praise Dog, and Maelodic, his prophet.

Quote Originally Posted by Urist View Post
    There's a tier 1 enhancement in the thief-acrobat tree which gives a bonus 5/10/15% attack speed with quarterstaves IIRC. I don't remember seeing anything more elsewhere, but I could easily be wrong.
    With the monk levels add in another 7.5% from lesser wind stance and you are at 22.5% attack speed. And this is what I can think of off the top of my head.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast