The Mad Multiclasser Failedlegend's Avatar

Default Am I Mad? Arty18/Bard1/Sorc1 (E-Pass related)

So uh yeah despite all the heavy praise I can't find myself getting excited about the Arty capstone so I'm looking into spalshes of 1-2 (18/2 or 18/1/1) that could help me out...I don't really need extra feats and I plan on using shadow dancer ED so evasion is less important so there's not much left but it dawned on me that I could cherry pick Fascinate from Bard 1 (DC is entirely reliant on perform) and from Sorc1 I can get a quick little boost to my elec spellpower for some more lightning bolt goodness.

So uh yeah how useful is fascinate as an ability I've never really played a bard
    Is the +10 spellpower & electrocution worth it...is there a better 1 splash?

Feel free to suggest any other 1-2 splashes.

Here's the Arty20build btw

Halfling Neutral Arty20

Str 8
    Dex 18
    Con 12
    Int 18 (Lvl ups here)
    Wis 8
    Cha 8

1 Point Blank Shot
    3 Augment Summoning
    4A Precise Shot
    6 Construct Essence
    8A Rapid Shot
    9 Mental Toughness
    12A Maximize
    12 Improved Mental Toughness
    15 Dragonmark of Healing
    16A IC:Ranged
    18 Improved Precise Shot
    ED Shadowdancer
    21 Combat Archery
    24 Epic Mental Toughness
    26 ESP: Elec
    27 Epic Reflexes
    28 Hellball

Current Version (Sept.9th 2013)

Code:
    Halfling Neutral Arty18/Bard1/Sorc1

Level order: Arty 1, Bard 2, Arty 3 - 13, Sorc 14, Arty 15 - 20

Str 8
    Dex 18
    Con 12
    Int 18 (Lvl ups here)
    Wis 8
    Cha 8

Skills: Perform, Repair, Search, DD, UMD, Spot, OL

1 Point Blank Shot
    3 Augment Summoning
    4A Precise Shot
    6 Construct Essence
    8A Rapid Shot
    9 DM of Healing
    12A Empowered Healing
    12 SF: Evo
    15 Maximize
    18 Improved Precise Shot
    ED Shadowdancer
    21 GSF: Evo
    24 ESF: Evo
    27 Epic Reflexes
    28 Hellball
    Last edited by Failedlegend; 09-30-2013 at 08:23 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan
    There is little value in getting into an edition debate; as with anything, we create what we believe works best for DDO.

Scholar Of Adventure & Hero Missing_Minds's Avatar

I really don't know.. But you could then twist in Reign (spellsinger) to work with your crossbow.

Given my arti's past life of bard (that was her first life), that is something I've pondered at doing. Trick is getting enough songs to make it worth while enough for the twist.

If Reign rocks your boat more, it may be more worth while to do 2 bard instead? I don't know how the new enhancments work towards your elec boost, spell power, and additional songs.

Quote Originally Posted by Missing_Minds View Post
    I really don't know.. But you could then twist in Reign (spellsinger) to work with your crossbow.
    Whats reign? I looked through the spellsinger and warchanter enhancements and dont see anything called that.

Given my arti's past life of bard (that was her first life), that is something I've pondered at doing. Trick is getting enough songs to make it worth while enough for the twist.
    With 1 lvl of bard you have access to lingering song and extra songs

If Reign rocks your boat more, it may be more worth while to do 2 bard instead? I don't know how the new enhancments work towards your elec boost, spell power, and additional songs.
    Well 1 Sorc gets you +10 spellpower of any element (in artis case is +10 elec), as well as a weird ability that increase your spellpower by 5% every time you cast the same element spell than .75 USP per AP spent. Although Flickr is a cool enhancement (small chance of auto-improved invis on damage)...additional/extended songs only requires 1 bard lvl. Sharp Note (Bard 2) and Haunting Melody (Bard 1) are nice too
    Last edited by Failedlegend; 08-16-2013 at 04:09 PM.
    There is little value in getting into an edition debate; as with anything, we create what we believe works best for DDO.

OH!!! You mean FATEsinger the ED yeah thats not bad some on demand Temp HPs and extra damage on a 20 tis pretty cool and I have to max out Fatesinger anyways (because the devs arbitrarily limited which classes can start where) and other than maybe tailwind that not much else I'd want to twist from Fatesinger

Hail Failedlegend.

OK so 1 lvl bard splash.
    If you were doing so I suggest dropping Dex down to 16 and putting the difference into CHA.

spend 3 AP on Poetic Edda (WC tier 1) = +3 attack and +3 extra songs
    spend 3 AP on Focussed (WC tier 1) = +3 Conc and +1 extra song

spend 3 AP on lingering songs (SS tier1) = +60% song duration
    spend 3AP on Charlaton (SS tier 1) = +3 Conc and +3 perform

So that would give u at least 5 songs with duration of 48 secs with perform DC (gear dependent) of 68 - 80ish

You take 1 lvl ranger and drop Sorc.

spend 6 AP on Stealthy (DWS tier 1) = +2 sneak attack die and increase point blank and ranged sneak attack range by +5m.

spend 3 AP on True Strike for +20 to hit on ranged attack.

You could take 1 lvl Rogue to go with 1 lvl bard

= use Dex modifier to hit with dagger, kukri, Q Staff
    spend 2 AP on Sneak attack training = +1 sneak attack die
    spend 3 AP on Shiv = +3(W) damage and decrease threat by 300.
    spend 3 AP on Acrobatic = +15% attack speed with Q Staff
    spend 3 AP on Sly Flourish = +1.5(W) and decrease threat by 100 on melee attacks.

GL
    Last edited by NovaNZ; 08-16-2013 at 09:21 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by DawnofEntropy View Post
    Who wouldn't want to see Flizik the dwarf jamming to 'Devil went down to georgia' and smoking a pipe ...

@Nova hmmm didn't think of dipping into WC as well...although ranger 1 is a pretty good idea for the easy +2D6 SA, true shot is pretty meh though....if your missing on regular attacks you've got a bigger problem. but again worth it for the extra SA and SA/PBS range. As for lowering dex its not really an option cause taking combat archery already require a +3 tome and honestly is +2 DC to fascinate really gonna make THAT big of a difference.

So regardless if i decide to splash im definitely taking 1 Bard possibly 2...if just Bard1 Ill probably go 1 ranger over sorc. I definitely need to test this out when i get home (at a friends place) I'll also have to check and see if I actually have the AP to spare

Community Member

bard 1 also gives you access to empower healing spell for your dragonmark (and cocoon)
    ranger 1 gives you tasty cheap devotion spell power for your dragonmark (and cocoon)
    I'd dump construct essence and pick up dragonmark earlier

Ok so yeah Bard1/Ranger1 seems like the way to go especially thx to Cru mentioning gaining access to empower healing and devotion spellpower boosts. Here's what I came up with.

Halfling Neutral Arty18/Bard1/Ranger1

Level order: Arty 1, Bard 2, Arty 3 - 13, Ranger 14, Arty 15 - 20

Str 8
    Dex 18
    Con 12
    Int 18 (Lvl ups here)
    Wis 8
    Cha 8

Skills: Perform, Repair, Search, DD, UMD, Spot, OL, Spellcraft

1 Point Blank Shot
    3 Augment Summoning
    4A Precise Shot
    6 Construct Essence
    8A Rapid Shot
    9 DM of Healing
    12A Empowered Healing
    12 Mental Toughness
    15 Maximize
    18 Improved Precise Shot
    ED Shadowdancer
    21 Improved Mental Toughness
    24 Epic Mental Toughness
    27 Epic Reflexes
    28 Hellball

Bard will likely be taken at Lvl 2 so perform doesn't fall too far behind not sure when too take ranger probably around Lvl 12-15ish.
    Last edited by Failedlegend; 08-19-2013 at 12:15 PM.

@Failedlegend.

Understand you point about Dex and combat archery however if u are going to reliably fascinate drow on EE you will kick yourself in retrospect for every 1DC less that you don't have. Given that gear wise Fascinate will probably not me your main focus - i still think there is a case for less Dex more Cha.

I think that bard 1 ranger1 is a good mix - reckon you may really get to have some fun with your proposed build.

GL (and go the bard splashes!! )
    Quote Originally Posted by DawnofEntropy View Post
    Who wouldn't want to see Flizik the dwarf jamming to 'Devil went down to georgia' and smoking a pipe ...

Quote Originally Posted by NovaNZ View Post
    Understand you point about Dex and combat archery however if u are going to reliably fascinate drow on EE you will kick yourself in retrospect for every 1DC less that you don't have. Given that gear wise Fascinate will probably not me your main focus - i still think there is a case for less Dex more Cha.
    Fair enough about Drow in Epic elite (although ive heard EVERYONE has issues with EE Drow witha nything that requires a DC or SR) but I'll rarely do anything on Hard let alone Elite on this guy since he's meant for a static group made of other flavour builds that would like get wreaked in most at-level elites (I really should just put "I don't build for Hard or Elite" in my Signature)

I think that bard 1 ranger1 is a good mix - reckon you may really get to have some fun with your proposed build.
    Here's hoping it doesn't get nerfed too quickly :P

GL (and go the bard splashes!! )
    Yeah I've never though of splashing 1 Bard before and now it seems it would fit easily into alot of build that have an extra level.
    Last edited by Failedlegend; 09-04-2013 at 06:53 PM.

Random thought instead of a Bard Splash the build could do a 1 Morninglord splash for an awesome heal (instead of healing DM) and some extra spells and load up on some extra Int, extra SP, and the awesome Auto-search. Still the same otherwise (Note: this is mostly for my friend that wants to be an Elf and likes my arty build)

Community Member OverlordOfRats's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Failedlegend View Post
    Random thought instead of a Bard Splash the build could do a 1 Morninglord splash for an awesome heal (instead of healing DM) and some extra spells and load up on some extra Int, extra SP, and the awesome Auto-search. Still the same otherwise (Note: this is mostly for my friend that wants to be an Elf and likes my arty build)
    Morninglord is a race (Sun Elf), not a class. They have to start as a cleric at level 1 right now and cannot yet LR. As an Iconic they start with enough XP to reach level 15. I don't know if that will work for your group.

Quote Originally Posted by OverlordOfRats View Post
    Morninglord is a race (Sun Elf), not a class.

They have to start as a cleric at level 1 right now and cannot yet LR. As an Iconic they start with enough XP to reach level 15. I don't know if that will work for your group.
    Yeah it would replace halfling which would lose the healing DM but it gains a super heal similar to unyielding soveirngty so it balances out a bit, I'd also lose Bard so no fascinate but you only HAVE to take one cleric level to get access to the full ranged of racial abilities and the blessing of amantaur while useless to a cleric is pretty decent on a Bard.

As for "starting" at lvl 15 one of the glorious things about Iconics is they can start at ANY level between 1 and 15 as your not actually forced to lvl to 15 right away so they can even start with other Lvl 1 characters and just level when they do.

As for the no LRing/TRing...well our static group aint gonna reach Lvl 20 any time soon so TRing is highly likely to be unlocked by than not to mention all the Epic content.

Anyways to clarify this isn't actually for my build, A friend liked my Arty build but wanted to be a Elf and liked the ML racials so it was pretty easy to just drop Bard. My build will still be a Arty18/Bard1/Ranger1.

Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar

Since we're thinking outside the box, what about arty 16 / rgr 3 / <splash> 1? The extra rgr lvls get you Rapid Shot free, as well as add a few higher-tier rgr goodies. E.g., +d6 SA, Empathic Healing, and Aimed Shot from DWS; Inferno / Dispelling / Shattermantle Shots from AA (which IIUC will work w/repeaters, altho imbues don't). AFAICT, the only thing you really lose by dropping two arty lvls is a lvl 5 spell slot.

Are you planning to use DC-based spells? If so, I would think investing in DCs would be more useful than, say, all those Mental Toughnesses. After all, what's the point of extra SPs if you can't get your spells to land?

Quote Originally Posted by unbongwah View Post
    Are you planning to use DC-based spells? If so, I would think investing in DCs would be more useful than, say, all those Mental Toughnesses. After all, what's the point of extra SPs if you can't get your spells to land?
    Ah man I totally spaced on SF: Evo feats...ill swap out the MTs for them.

*Updated in OP*
    Last edited by Failedlegend; 09-09-2013 at 05:29 PM.

Well apparently only Clerics are allowed to heal so rangers have been nerfed...need a different splash...guss I'll go back to ML1/Sorc1 for my friend and go Bard2 for Bard1/Sorc1 my version

Might I suggest bard 2 sorc 2 arti 16. Getting to t2 in both (or either of, for a 17/2/1 split) those enhancement trees could be very beneficial to you. I can tell you from personal experience that air savant stuff does boost arti electric spells/slas.
    Last edited by Havok.cry; 09-17-2013 at 04:57 PM.
    Matt Walsh:
    But Truth is eternal, so it can never be old or new. It never ‘was’ or ‘will be.’ It just ‘is.’ It always ‘is.’

Quote Originally Posted by Havok.cry View Post
    Might I suggest bard 2 sorc 2 arti 16. Getting to t2 in both (or either of, for a 17/2/1 split) those enhancement trees could be very beneficial to you. I can tell you from personal experience that air savant stuff does boost arti electric spells/slas.
    Hmmm...that's a possibility...I really do LOVE the idea of getting critical admixture and contrary to popular belief I actually find the construct extremely useful and losing another 2 levels I think would diminish him too much

Guess it depends on what tier 2 Sorc and/or Bard offers...lets go have a look see

Well since the loss of the ranger spellpower its fairly pointless now so I'm going Arty18/Sorc2

nvm
    Last edited by Failedlegend; 12-12-2013 at 09:17 PM.