Community Member

Default Spells on darkness are still suck

1 Tier SLAs
    Chile Touch: ML 5, Touch.
    Nimbus of Light: NO ML, Ranged.

3 Tier SLAs
    Necrotic Bolt: no ML but... no metamagic... what?
    Searing Light: ML 10, can be with metamagic. I'd like to use this than Necrotic Bolt even if it has ML.

4 Tier SLAs
    Negative Burst: not really bad... but It's something bad still. You should apporach enemies to use this... ok, ok. It's better than Unholy Blight surely.
    Holy Smite: lots in the game are evil and it works well... even if alignment type spells are suck, but better than Darkness.

5 Tier SLAs
    Mass, Inflict moderate: It has similar damage with Negative Burst.
    Flame Strike: ML 15, but It's 1.5 times powerful than Inflict above.

6 New Spells
    Enervation: I'm not sure about this.
    Sun Bolt: no need to say!

12 New Spells
    Necrotic Ray: most good in the darkness.
    Sun Beam: a bit weak than Necrotic Ray, but We have lots good already.

18 New Spells
    Power word stun: who uses this?
    Sunburst: good for enemies, much good for ooze and undead!

If this released with these, nobody would use darkness.
    Last edited by Targal; 08-16-2013 at 02:19 PM.

Agreed.

My necro cleric who really, really wants the tier 4 necro DC +1 enhancement is going lightside because the slas are just too much better than the darkside ones. He'll settle for +1 evo dc and call it a day.

Miasto Stołeczne Warszawa (The Capital City of Warsaw)

Of all listed (all, not just dark), the only spell I find useful is enervation.

But I'm a warpriest stuck, with no warpriest tree yet, and I'm not using DPS spells (escept energy drain if you count it as DPS).

Quote Originally Posted by Vellrad View Post
    Of all listed (all, not just dark), the only spell I find useful is enervation.
    The OP is talking about the SLAs, not the granted spells. The SLAs are the only real choice since you can get all granted spells from the capstone.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by EllisDee37 View Post
    The OP is talking about the SLAs, not the granted spells. The SLAs are the only real choice since you can get all granted spells from the capstone.
    yes, the problem is from SLA especially. even if I can get capstone, I would not start darkness, because lots good SLAs on light are there.
    Last edited by Targal; 08-16-2013 at 10:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Targal View Post
    yes, the problem is from SLA especially. even if I can get capstone, I would not start darkness, because lots good SLAs on light are there.
    I just went through and specced out my necro cleric's enhancements. (He'll be pure.)

While leveling he takes lightside for the early access to SLAs. This will be solid, I think.

He respecs his enhancements at level 20 to drop nimbus of light, and at that point I switch to...nope, still light side. It's just better. While I'd like that extra +1 necro DC, getting an extra +1 evocation DC instead works for me.

Miasto Stołeczne Warszawa (The Capital City of Warsaw)

Capstone requires 20 levels of cleric.
    Most of clerics I see (especailly best ones) are multiclassed.

Also, theese are heroic enhancements, so they need to be considered before getting to lvl20.

2014 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by Targal View Post
    If this released with these, nobody would use darkness.
    The Dark SLAs do suck badly.

I would use Dark, just not the SLAs. There's enough other places to spend AP.

One of the big problems with, say, Inflict spells, is the totally different scaling between player HP and enemy HP in DDO. In pen-and-paper, they are of the same order of magnitude, so spells that do equal amounts of healing versus damaging are balanced. But when you have enemies with, hundreds of thousands HP, Inflicts are useless, while Cures still work OK on allies who have, almost all the time, less than 2000 HP.

Try making Enervation the top SLA for Darkness. Oh, and implement a Darkness spell, as a lower-tier SLA? Effectively an AOE Blindness with no save for enemies who remain in in the area.

2014 DDO Players Council

...my necro cleric...
    <snip>
    While I'd like that extra +1 necro DC, getting an extra +1 evocation DC instead works for me.
    Isn't it +2, not +1? And if you're taking +Evo instead of +Necro, are you really a Necro Cleric, or are you an Evo Cleric?

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by SirValentine View Post
    The Dark SLAs do suck badly.

I would use Dark, just not the SLAs. There's enough other places to spend AP.

One of the big problems with, say, Inflict spells, is the totally different scaling between player HP and enemy HP in DDO. In pen-and-paper, they are of the same order of magnitude, so spells that do equal amounts of healing versus damaging are balanced. But when you have enemies with, hundreds of thousands HP, Inflicts are useless, while Cures still work OK on allies who have, almost all the time, less than 2000 HP.

Try making Enervation the top SLA for Darkness. Oh, and implement a Darkness spell, as a lower-tier SLA? Effectively an AOE Blindness with no save for enemies who remain in in the area.
    Light Inflict Wounds: 1d6+2 plus 1 per caster level to heal allies(Max 5), 4 plus 1d3+3 per caster level damage to enemies.(Max 6)

Moderate Inflict Wounds: 2d6+4 plus 1 per caster level to heal(Max 10), 8 plus 1d3+4 per caster level damage to enemy.(max 12)

Serious Inflict Wounds: 3d6+6 plus 1 per caster level to heal(Max 15), 12 plus 1d3+5 per caster level damage to enemy.(max 18)

Critical Inflict Wounds: 4d6+8 plus 1 per caster level to heal(Max 20), 16 plus 1d3+6 per caster level damage to enemy.(max 24)

Harm: 10 per caster level to heal(Max 15), 15 per caster levels damage to enemy(Max 20)(maybe It's something meaningless because Harm is not affected by most metamagic.)

(I'm not sure about that positive versions should be also changed like this. because There's already positive burst on Radiance Servant to massacre undeads.)
    this is what I wrote to feedback once. Inflict spells are really needed to changed like this example. Im sure devs know Inflict spells are useless, but they put this on SLA...
    Last edited by Targal; 08-16-2013 at 02:02 PM.

Community Member

Isn't it +2, not +1? And if you're taking +Evo instead of +Necro, are you really a Necro Cleric, or are you an Evo Cleric?
    There's DC for evo and necro at 4, 5 Tier. I remember evo and necro can't be taken at the same time.

The tier 4 DD enhancement lets you take either +1 evo dc (light), +1 necro dc (dark) or +9 universal spell power (either).

As far as I'm concerned that's the only DC available from Divine Disciple. There might be something good on tier 5 but I'll never know. I still can't believe they made aura a tier 5 instead of the ML12 core ability. Just stupid.

While I do take +1 evo DC from divine disciple, I take Spell Focus: Necromancy and twist in +3 necro DC from magister. So it's definitely more of a necro cleric than evo.

Community Member

Default Radiant Servant Feedback(About Pacifism, Divine Healing)

oops, mispost.
    Ghallanda Server
    Dragant, Spellaser, Arrcous
    Officer of DDO Korea Unlimited