Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Community Member

Default What do you do with excess lesser essences in Cannith Crafting?

It seems like my shortage is always greater essences --- such that after levelling my crafting a bunch and saving my essences for a long time, I ended up having 3000 extra of some lesser essences. Is there a recipe that makes use of all these lesser essences? Do I sell them? (Who would buy them?)

Thanks for the help
    Thelanis: Ikeren --- Paladin, Life 2 (Past Life: Cleric). Dylas --- Cleric late teens, Life 1.

Quote Originally Posted by CE2JRH123 View Post
    Is there a recipe that makes use of all these lesser essences?
    Shards of potential. A potential +15 shard is 1150 lessers bound, and 3450 unbound.

Crafting a +5 holy burst of vampirism weapon will set you back 4375 lesser essences.
    Last edited by stoerm; 08-16-2013 at 06:26 AM.
    Praise the Dark Six and pass the heals to pure melees.
    Full feat tree; Cannith; change; merger; evil; win; minmaxing; FotM; deja vu; Kobolds.
    Dungeons and Dragons Online ~ Nude Song and Gnarled Onions

They are also used for making shards of Masterful Craftsmanship which reduce the minimum level of your crafted items by 2 (meaning you can use +6 stat items at level 9 )

Stoner81.

Community Member

There are a lot of folks who buy these but if you are going to really level in cannith crafting keep them. In time you will see it's truly the lesser's that are the limiting fact especially over level 100. That and often so many of the recopies require special and very expensive ingredients.
    Founding Member and Current Leader of Sword And Siren on Cannith
    Main Toons: Cerafim | GrumpyKuss | Thextor | Khrysti | RocHound | Artychoke | Buggzapper

Veni, Vidi, Velcro: I came, I saw, I got stuck

Miasto Stołeczne Warszawa (The Capital City of Warsaw)

Nothing.

Since devs abandomed cannith crafting system, I rarely deconstruct items anymore.

I don't really have much lessers.

Community Member

Shards of potential. A potential +15 shard is 1150 lessers bound, and 3450 unbound.

Crafting a +5 holy burst of vampirism weapon will set you back 4375 lesser essences.
    Ah, thank you. I somehow had it in my head that the Shards of Potential (and master craftmanship) required Greater, not Lesser, essences, which resulted in me thinking I'd never use them :P . Glad they don't.
    Thelanis: Ikeren --- Paladin, Life 2 (Past Life: Cleric). Dylas --- Cleric late teens, Life 1.

Quote Originally Posted by WanderingGrump View Post
    There are a lot of folks who buy these but if you are going to really level in cannith crafting keep them. In time you will see it's truly the lesser's that are the limiting fact especially over level 100. That and often so many of the recopies require special and very expensive ingredients.
    I have never had the problem of having too few lesser I have thousands upon thousands of lesser's and only hundreds of Greaters lvl 128/128/128 currently.

Quote Originally Posted by Tanngiostr View Post
    I have never had the problem of having too few lesser I have thousands upon thousands of lesser's and only hundreds of Greaters lvl 128/128/128 currently.
    Exactly the same with me, except my levels are only 123.

Only people who never deconstruct have the problem of too few lessers. That or they have never played a character past level 15.

Sell them in varying stack sizes on the auction house. Value about 30-40 plat each.

Quote Originally Posted by stoerm View Post

They are not useful for potential or masterful shards in the same way purifieds aren't useful for them. I mean, you CAN use them but it's throwing money out the window. Better to craft your potential/masterful shards for (essentially) free.

The Mad Multiclasser Failedlegend's Avatar

I hoard em just like eve crammed everything else I have crammed into various bags, banks and mule characters
    Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan
    There is little value in getting into an edition debate; as with anything, we create what we believe works best for DDO.

Quote Originally Posted by EllisDee37 View Post
    Better to craft your potential/masterful shards for (essentially) free.
    How is this done?

Stoner81.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by CE2JRH123 View Post
    Who would buy them?
    People who do not bother do deconstruct gear.

Quote Originally Posted by Stoner81 View Post
    How is this done?
    Crude vials can be used for "unnamed" crafting ingredients. (Shards of potential and masterful craftsmanship.) You can buy crude vials from the free agent favor vendor in the harbor. He'll sell you unlimited stacks of them, 2500 vials for 250 plat.

Crude vials can be used for "unnamed" crafting ingredients. (Shards of potential and masterful craftsmanship.) You can buy crude vials from the free agent favor vendor in the harbor. He'll sell you unlimited stacks of them, 2500 vials for 250 plat.
    This is awesome! Thanks man

EDIT - Just tried and woohoo! This is going to save me a fortune in lesser essences, I went a bit nuts and just bought 10,000 vials for my crafting toon (2500 for 244 plat thanks to Haggle ) money well spent I think, thanks again!

Stoner81.

Thank you for this tip, it's very helpful.

A couple questions

Is there a way to buy the vials in stacks of larger than 25. When I CTRL-click them and enter a number larger than 25, it still tells me I've only bought 25.

Also, do you know if there are any other uses for them?

They are sold up to 2500 at once. If you try to add more than 2500 it may default back to 25.

Pretty sure they're used in trapmaking, which I know literally nothing about. One assumes there's some trap-type crafting recipe for them. Maybe those runestone things? No idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Stoner81 View Post
    EDIT - Just tried and woohoo! This is going to save me a fortune in lesser essences, I went a bit nuts and just bought 10,000 vials for my crafting toon (2500 for 244 plat thanks to Haggle ) money well spent I think, thanks again!
    I periodically replenish my stacks of masterful and potential; 100 of every shard. (Masterful, pot +6, pot +7, ..., pot +14) This is likely well over 100k vials, since I generally have to make several trips and fill multiple inventory pages with them each trip.

Mostly I top off every stack to an even 100 the day before each update on the off chance they ever remove this ability. Hint hint. Though this has worked for well over a year, and it's been publicly mentioned on the forums in crafting guides. So it appears to be here to stay.

EDIT: Also, if you have less than 100 in any crafting school, potential shards (both bound and unbound) are free xp.

EDIT 2: Also, stoerm answered the OP in the first reply:
    Quote Originally Posted by stoerm View Post

+15 Potential shards are the primary use for lessers because crude vials only stack to 1000, and +15s cost 1150. Meaning vials can't be used for them.

Community Member

Great tip, thanks!

(But NOW what am I going to do with all those lessers?! )

Quote Originally Posted by Qaliya View Post
    Great tip, thanks!

(But NOW what am I going to do with all those lessers?! )
    Hang on to them because once you get past 100, the crude vials become less useful. They won't stack higher than 1000 in your inventory, so bound +15 (?) shards which require 1100 and change must be made with actual essences. They do still work for the unbound shards of potential however.

If anyone doesn't know it, shards of potential made with crude vials are the easiest, cheapest way to gain crafting xp. Once you hit a factor of ten level go buy 30,000 - 50,000 of the crude vials and go to town making shards of potential until you can't get any more xp. This is, ofc, the best time to use a crafting xp elixir as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by MalkavianX View Post
    and then dropped it like a burning kitten

I periodically replenish my stacks of masterful and potential; 100 of every shard. (Masterful, pot +6, pot +7, ..., pot +14) This is likely well over 100k vials, since I generally have to make several trips and fill multiple inventory pages with them each trip.

Mostly I top off every stack to an even 100 the day before each update on the off chance they ever remove this ability. Hint hint. Though this has worked for well over a year, and it's been publicly mentioned on the forums in crafting guides. So it appears to be here to stay.
    I'm thinking this may be working as intended. The clue is that there is a question mark in the crafting machine for these recipes. Trap parts work too. So do shards of potential themselves.

The vials are used to make grenades.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast