Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Player-Housing

Community Member

Default Player-Housing

Housing Suggestions:

1. Introduce housing but MERGE it with transportation options to additional raid/challenge/assault-style quests. I would take the base castle from the quest "Storm the Beaches" and turn it up ten notches. Make it a difficult castle to storm for Epic/capped players. Bump the archers w/ Archer's Focus (or Manyshot) and make the Ballistae into Catapults that throw boulders from the "Fury of the Wild" ED. You could only access these world events from your house, (alternatively, you could make them accessible from guild ships with the right amenities). If from your house, you have to inform the steward you will be leaving to fight in the *insert name of world event here* and in order to anchor your house from being pulled apart by the teleportative forces, (think: Acquisitions Incorporated) you must leave him some astral shards to bind your house to the astral plane. Alternatively, it could require a small amount of AS to bind your house for a set period of time so you could become involved with as many world events as you want, during that period. The world events should feel like halfway between a challenge and a raid, ideally. The loot/modules should require both Cannith AND Eveningstar Challenge ingredients but with the modules requiring added cost and difficulty to acquire. I am thinking something like challenge items might require certain modules to be upgraded OR they might require Commendations/Universal Challenge Tokens or Epic Tokens to unlock additional tiers.

2. Introduce companions into roles around the house. I want my Mephit to be my librarian (with according bonuses/penalties). The Earth Elemental gets to be the cook and make me Tasty Ham because he knows all about Stone Soup. The Kobold gets to send to me world events in the Sewers because, he remembers Waterworks. While the Shadow Gargoyle gets to send me to the Mabar end fight with a little twist OR perhaps to a Shadowfell Conspiracy themed event. The Tressym would make an excellent butler (especially the tuxedo Tressym). Pseudodragons know a way to enter the Truthful ones bed-chamber via Khyber. The owlbear companion would make a fine feather-duster and perhaps assist in the library (even promoted to head libarian!). In order to "set" a companion on one of these slots, it should require something similar to slotting an amenity is to a airship. I would think that some slots could be filled by any of the companions but would give different effects or bonuses depending on the action performed (entering instance/crafting/tome activation).

I would like Housing to give us access to more Raid-like events in the future. That way, we choose Housing now, but we use it to access more raid/challenge-like events from one single location. You should be able to start on your guild ship and then port to whoever's house is "anchored" (astral shards) for that time-period. Some events might require that more than ONE house is linked to the astral plane. Or perhaps it requires Shavarath War Trophies to bind your house to Shavarath, or for instance, Lammania Lily Petals to bind your house to Lammania.

3. I would make Universal Challenge Tokens BTA. Then, I would introduce them into the crafting system to make scrolls/wands/rods and other unique items. This could even be linked with player housing and a special altar or crafting station. Universal Tokens could be another currency. All Epic tomes (+6 or above) might require you be in a library to use (one such library might be in player-housing, while another might be located in an adventure pack) We could even use Universal Challenge tokens to actually read the tome (give us an excerpt). It would be a great cross-promotion with some of the new Forgotten Realm book series/DnD movies.

In addition, I would like to be able to use Universal Challenge tokens to attempt to read a Nether Scroll, and make the results AWESOME!

Either way, player-housing needs to be dynamic and functional, Turbine certainly has the ability to deliver on both.
    Last edited by Panserbjorne; 08-19-2013 at 11:37 PM.

Best thing I can say about player housing is that I'ld prefer it to the current cosmetipet fluff system, though just as I'm currently (intentionally) petless, I would also be homeless

Btw, so not /signed for housing that would be required for anything in any form or fashion!
    Now excuse me while I wander off to arm myself with Grilled Cheese Sandwiches and hunker down behind my Armored Beer Refrigerator, while I have the UFO's take control of the Congresional Wives with the help of the International Cocaine Smugglers and the Evil Geniuses for a Better Tomorrow

I'd rather see resources used to fix bugs, and then give us /squelch account.
    There is no free lunch.

Unless they can do SWG style housing with player cities and all I have no interest in player housing

The ANTI-Realms FANBOI NUKE THE REALMS ITS THE ONLY REAL WAY TO BE SURE

Forum Turtle
    2014 DDO Players Council

While my favorite part of Lotro hands down was acquiring and decorating my personal housing, it should not be required for play in any way. It should be a fun thing for people who like it, and not impact those who don't. And done properly, it could be a plat sink to get some more plat coins out of the game. Which in turn would introduce passive grind, as we'd have to keep questing to pay our 'rent' like LOTRO does, but not an active grind like 200+ runs of a chest trying to get a seal.
    Turtel, Turtley Wrath, Tortoisse, Waterssong, Victerr Creed, Utahraptor, Velocaraptor, Minddancer, Loggerhead, Matamata, Sulcata, Ticerratops, Sierrann, Hankx, Shartelhane

Member of Highlords of Malkier! Help channel, everyone welcome in this channel!

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by TrinityTurtle View Post
    While my favorite part of Lotro hands down was acquiring and decorating my personal housing, it should not be required for play in any way. It should be a fun thing for people who like it, and not impact those who don't. And done properly, it could be a plat sink to get some more plat coins out of the game. Which in turn would introduce passive grind, as we'd have to keep questing to pay our 'rent' like LOTRO does, but not an active grind like 200+ runs of a chest trying to get a seal.
    I don't see my recommendation of housing as being required in any way. It is simply a easier way to link up with these World Events/Challenges. . .do you think that guild ships are required because people are able to teleport easier using the Planescaller or Navigator?

Housing could do the same with entering challenge type questing or raids, it could provide a pocket dimension or astral domain with which to access these quests/challenges/raids more easily. As I indicated, an airship with the correct amenity should be able to access them as well. You would have to make a choice as to whether an airship buff was worth the added convenience to access this challenge/raid easier.

Being able to read Epic tomes in a library adds a little more utility to housing, but it does not restrict someone from entering a guildie/friend's house to read their tome there or entering an adventure pack that had a library. I don't see that as housing being required.

The additional uses of companions within a house really gives incentive for myself and others to participate in areas of the game that they don't currently.

If companions were utilized and had a purpose in the Housing scheme, I would purchase quite a few.

Currently, I own none because they aren't interactive enough for me. I would like to interact with companions within my house. I am pretty sure there are others that feel the same.

If there were additional modules, like the Library, Kitchen, and Watchtower, I would be compelled to purchase additional modules as well, and buy additional companions to slot into those modules.

I want the Portable Hole in a box, and a way to enter far away quests/challenges/raids quickly. In order to do that though, it should require that you have completed the quest once before, similar to the Planescaller functionality.

In addition, the new Lammania item should ALLOW you to add new modules: Flawed Bag of Holding

If modules are implemented, it could be explained as turning the flawed bag inside out within the pocket dimension BEFORE repairing it. Thus, creating a space within a space.

I think it would be fun to acquire the items/people needed to make the portal dimension/modules via a quest or collecting challenge loot.
    Last edited by Panserbjorne; 08-18-2013 at 12:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Uska View Post
    Unless they can do SWG style housing with player cities and all I have no interest in player housing
    +1 The great things swg did have never really been attempted since.....

something to add..

i spent hrs decorating that house too.. The painting were pretty cool. I played a M.Doc and i had places for all my **** and buff making machines right outside...
    Last edited by adamkatt; 08-17-2013 at 11:06 AM.
    Outatime Exodus
    This character is dedicated to a once great game destroyed by a greedy corperation.. Goodbye Star Wars Galaxays!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWu8NOa69vM

Default Storage

If Housing gives us storage then I'm with it if not then I'm not interested!

Quote Originally Posted by Tanngiostr View Post
    Agreed, give me a house chest akin to the guild chest, preferably with hook points so I can have multiple chests and I'm sold!
    Now excuse me while I wander off to arm myself with Grilled Cheese Sandwiches and hunker down behind my Armored Beer Refrigerator, while I have the UFO's take control of the Congresional Wives with the help of the International Cocaine Smugglers and the Evil Geniuses for a Better Tomorrow

Community Member HernandoCortez's Avatar

/signed!!!
    EXTREME PREJUDICE™ - by Turbine.

GHOSTBANE™ - by Turbine.

Lol thats exactly what I was thinking!!!

And can we decorate our dwelling with coyles stuffed head?

Quote Originally Posted by Panserbjorne View Post
    It is simply a easier way to link up with these World Events/Challenges. . .do you think that guild ships are required because people are able to teleport easier using the Planescaller or Navigator?
    They're "required" for an entirely different reason. Most of us have built around the concept that the ships provide us with our resistances. It wouldn't shock me in the slightest if most casters didn't even bother to load the spells anymore.
    Ryiah | Raeyah | Reikara
    Toy Soldiers

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ryiah View Post
    They're "required" for an entirely different reason. Most of us have built around the concept that the ships provide us with our resistances. It wouldn't shock me in the slightest if most casters didn't even bother to load the spells anymore.
    That is exactly my point, my description of an implementation of Housing has nothing that is making it REQUIRED.

Definitely desirable, because you should be able to go from guild ships to house AND then directly to quests/challenges/raids.

My point is, I have no interest in only decorating OR buying a house to have a chest, which sounds like a huge "inventory tax", at the very least.

If not this, then what?

If they are gonna suggest that we buy-in to housing, I want to hear how it is going to function. . .

I think my suggestion of using Astral Shards to bind your house to the Astral Plane is a good one, yet I have heard not a word from anyone about it?

Also, using the Flawed Bag of Holding item and other ingredients to add more rooms seems like a great way to add more value to your house and encourage running ingredient-based challenges.

Slotting companions instead of amenities would seem like a very easy thing to code. If given a defined use within housing, I would certainly buy more creature companions. Perhaps even a hireling to defend my house from time-to-time, from Astral invaders perhaps? I am thinking an event similar to Picture Portals but only when your house is bound to the Astral plane?

I would buy more than ONE picture to hang on the walls if I had a CHANCE at receiving more Astral Shards then it cost to bind my house for that duration. . .

Does anyone have an opinion on the ideas?
    Last edited by Panserbjorne; 08-18-2013 at 11:58 AM.

Community Member

ultima online

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by PermaBanned View Post
    Best thing I can say about player housing is that I'ld prefer it to the current cosmetipet fluff system, though just as I'm currently (intentionally) petless, I would also be homeless

Btw, so not /signed for housing that would be required for anything in any form or fashion!
    Do you think there is anything in my suggestion that causes Housing to be required for anything? In my suggestion, if I need Orthon Metal scraps, then I might slot my Gargoyle in my Watchtower to provide additional scraps when I run ToD.

Conversely, if I slotted my Poison dart frog in the Kitchen, I might get additional Poison Trap parts when disabling Acid traps. . .I know it doesn't exist, just a fun example to add another item that would be worth collecting!

Additionally, if people wanted to come to my house and run challenges, they would get additional scraps/parts as well. . .but they certainly aren't required to come! With the additional scraps, I might be able to fashion a new module for my house and help friends to farm other ingredients. . .

I am suggesting that the companions, when slotted in different amenity slots and in different modules would provide a small incentive boost or perk. I don't think it should be anything game-breaking though.

I would think that Silver/Gold dice rolls might even grant you temporary house amenities.

Community Member

Unless housing will be a place for me to access my alt characters personal inventory space or have additional storage, I could care less. I agree with others, wasted resources IMO that could be better spent developing better content or fixing bug or reducing server lag.

Community Member

I changed some initial elements to provide for a library that might be accessed through an adventure pack, and not solely through player-housing. Additionally, I expanded upon some of the initial post as well as removed some critique of other implementation.

This is intended to be a suggestion post.

If anyone can point out places where I criticize other implementations, I am more than happy to remove them from my posts. =)

How does binding your house to the Astral Plane with shards sound to everyone?

Should it only be able to be bound with Astral shards or should other planes of existence be considered as well??
    Last edited by Panserbjorne; 08-18-2013 at 12:55 PM.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by jskinner937 View Post
    Unless housing will be a place for me to access my alt characters personal inventory space or have additional storage, I could care less. I agree with others, wasted resources IMO that could be better spent developing better content or fixing bug or reducing server lag.
    I agree that housing should have additional storage space, and being able to access other characters inventory is certainly a necessity, but it only makes since that it links with other challenge areas to quickly deposit challenge/raid rewards into the storage as well.

What do you think of the other ideas guys? I would like to think with player-housing that we are paying for convenience, which is not out-of-line with the current model.

Do you think Astral Shards and binding your house is a reasonable cost for the convenience of accessing challenges/specific quests/raids from one location as well?

This is a great game and we could use something very large in scope to attract new players and really catch their eye. I don't think that a new raid is going to do that on it's own, so I am in favor of working on something that can be progressively added to.

Does this kind of housing implementation fit the bill?
    Last edited by Panserbjorne; 08-18-2013 at 01:14 PM.

Default Moar inventory...

Quote Originally Posted by jskinner937 View Post
    Unless housing will be a place for me to access my alt characters personal inventory space or have additional storage, I could care less.
    This is a common desire and seems logical to link it and buffs to player housing. But the buffs can't be easier to obtain then what is available to a guild, and how high can a 'normal' player hope to get a 1 person guild, even without decay. And Turbine either can't because of technical/coding issues or won't because of marketing/login counts/login times/? increase storage. They have had years of requests for this, and done so many other things that I doubt that you will ever see any more storage then you have now.

Originally posted by Aeryyn "I don't play this game for xp/min, I play for fun/hour. "

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by LeadHero5 View Post
    This is a common desire and seems logical to link it and buffs to player housing. But the buffs can't be easier to obtain then what is available to a guild, and how high can a 'normal' player hope to get a 1 person guild, even without decay. And Turbine either can't because of technical/coding issues or won't because of marketing/login counts/login times/? increase storage. They have had years of requests for this, and done so many other things that I doubt that you will ever see any more storage then you have now.
    I don't see the buffs being any easier to obtain, because they would require that your friend is there to give you access to the housing. Also, the companions/modules should offer to access to specific challenges, on the other hand, you could take guild buffs and run anything. You lose a little flexibity by requiring that you have certain House Modules to perform certain actions. Very similar to requiring certain altars to do crafting, but in this case, it requires the module, THEN the Altar, and then the Companion.

I don't see it is EASIER at all. The right set of words might be, incrementally more expensive.

The buffs also are not competitive with guilds because they would not be buffs on your attributes or combat abilities. That is definitely in the realm of guild ships.

I see the House bonuses that you get from companions increasing the amount of ingredients/drops that you get from the particular challenges/modules that you have purchased/made within your house.

I don't see the House as something that you have to level up necessarily, if leveling had to become part of the Instanced housing they could adjust the curve to something that made sense. . .I see player-housing more as something that you have to slowly acquire through Challenge Ingredients, tokens, TP and Companions.

Airships are purchasable and great for allowing you to get quickly to your house after you are buffed yourself.

The House is something that takes 1000's of Challenge ingredients to build though and allows you to enter specific challenge/quests/raids quickly depending on where your House is bound to.

The Airship is flexible in this regards, the set of quest that you can enter from House is based upon where you have bound the House to.

I do not think more than one chests worth of storage should be available until you add a specific House module for it.

Perhaps a Treasure Room module as a distant upgrade, and that would require a Pseudodragon to guard your treasure horde.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast