Community Member

Default Turbine Mathh; Less players = More Lag

Why is it I keep seeing my lag getting worse and yet there are fewer and fewer players in DDO all the time?

The old argument is that more people = more lag, but I don't buy it.

Maybe more people are playing Favored Souls. It's their fault.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by DakDeFrosted View Post
    Why is it I keep seeing my lag getting worse and yet there are fewer and fewer players in DDO all the time?

What kinda computer are you using?

Quote Originally Posted by Hoglum View Post
    Maybe more people are playing Favored Souls. It's their fault.
    That is so sad yet funny at the same time

Power creep got to the point where DA doesnt matter and we all just drag all mobs from start to finish in every single dungeon. Compounded with less LFMs, and more soloing.

2015 DDO Players Council Seikojin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chai View Post
    Power creep got to the point where DA doesnt matter and we all just drag all mobs from start to finish in every single dungeon. Compounded with less LFMs, and more soloing.
    This

However I haven't seen these lag issues. So either I am playing at the right time, or I has better gear.

I see a hell of a lot more FPS lag than I used to and my hardware hasn't changed (actually it got a minor CPU uplift to a 2.6 core 2 duo a while ago as well as a new SSD but these haven't made things particularly better except for load times) - and my GFX card isn't struggling at all, never gets above 7% on DDO or even a little bit warm, even on highest settings. The CPU is choking - my 2.1 core 2 duo didn't, and the uplift DID help with a bunch of other games, particularly NWO. So there's either something going wrong with my rig (fragmentation not an issue on the SSD, RAM seems fine, GFX card is way over spec, but it could be something else)... or quite possibly something has in fact changed in Turbines game engine/rendering instructions over the last 3-6 months which has had an adverse affect on my particular set up.

I see about the same amount of DPS lag as I always did in places like Shroud or epic quests, which isn't surprising since I'm fairly sure that is isolated to the particular instance you're in and based on the amount of damage (i.e. math) being dealt/taken/healed, so raid/epic party DPS in a big or protracted fight will naturally mean DPS lag. Makes sense, and I haven't noticed it get worse or better recently.

But I do see slightly more in the way of general "network" lag spikes (I have the network indicator forcibly visible at all times as well so I know it is response and/or bitrate), especially of late. I'll keep a closer eye on it for a while now following the maintenance.

The OP is right - the number of players on Argo appears to be so much lower than it was, at least at UK evening times. "network" lag should logically be better, not worse, surely?

The trouble is of course it could be my ISP, my router going on the fritz, related to my other apparent hardware issues or "the internet" in general, depending on how all the routing works to get my signal over to the US with each connection to the game. I really feel for Turbine trying to "lag" troubleshoot on a game this old with player and internet hardware always on the move, and so many players also incapable of analysing any further than 'my lag is bad'.

Which is not to say I wouldn't want them to keep trying, or that I wouldn't want to know why the seeming "network" lag exists
    Quote Originally Posted by Vargouille View Post
    The best of the best DDO players generally overperform when given a real challenge
    Quote Originally Posted by Amundir View Post
    My words are great. Even out of context.

Quote Originally Posted by DakDeFrosted View Post

There is always perception bias (is lag getting worse or are you more likely to notice lag). It could be your computer and network are not as good as they used to be (your neighbor leeching your net, you clean out your computer lately). It could be you've been playing favored soul lately. Maybe you're on Cannith Or it could be any number of the other reasons people are referring to.

I'm not trying to be a fanboi or a doomboi here, but diagnosing issues with a vague personalized experience with a computer when you toss the additional moving parts of an mmo into the mix and then assuming there is going to be some kind of magically universal A = B relationship to every problem a person experiences that is easily explained/blamed is relatively naïve. Unless the intent here is to just gripe without adding anything of real substance. If so, mission accomplished, carry on.
    Kobold never forgive....kobold remember waterworks.

Quote Originally Posted by KookieKobold View Post
    i'll be putting a bug into our system.

Community Member

It's possible that servers are being consolidated onto fewer physical pieces of iron. It is quite possible to run the servers as VMs in a cluster. The amount of hardware dedicated to the cluster is just another variable that can be reduced as the player base slowly departs.

Or it could be all those archons making the game impossible to play. "Yea -that's what it is boss. Let's just disable them."
    Last edited by Katie_Seaglen; 05-21-2014 at 12:44 PM.

Forum Turtle
    2014 DDO Players Council

HOpeully your increased lag is not the same cause as my last bout of it - frying network card. That was expensive.
    Turtel, Turtley Wrath, Tortoisse, Waterssong, Victerr Creed, Utahraptor, Velocaraptor, Minddancer, Loggerhead, Matamata, Sulcata, Ticerratops, Sierrann, Hankx, Shartelhane

Member of Highlords of Malkier! Help channel, everyone welcome in this channel!

Quote Originally Posted by TrinityTurtle View Post
    HOpeully your increased lag is not the same cause as my last bout of it - frying network card. That was expensive.
    Ouch, that would be bad.
    Finding ones past, present, and future in the threads of destiny.

Forum Turtle
    2014 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by Red_Knight View Post
    Ouch, that would be bad.
    It was, but at least we caught it before it literally fried. It had some scorching marks, so I would have been worse. I have NO idea what happened to that card.
    Turtel, Turtley Wrath, Tortoisse, Waterssong, Victerr Creed, Utahraptor, Velocaraptor, Minddancer, Loggerhead, Matamata, Sulcata, Ticerratops, Sierrann, Hankx, Shartelhane

Member of Highlords of Malkier! Help channel, everyone welcome in this channel!