Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast
    Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by ProducerRowan View Post
    Tolero isn't exactly anonymous, but I have a full summary that we review every week with senior executives.

I'll file these under too early to tell (and definitely not promised)...

- New class (we're discussing)
    - Housing (we're discussing)

We have to choose where to invest, so if raids are really the thing and housing is useless let us know. Raids get a lot of forum traffic but not necessarily the player usage.
    I would like to up vote housing. I came from an MMO with a housing system, and I loved it. That being said, tackling bugs is much more important right now. Fix the strings in the game, make items, enhancements, feats and spells work exactly the way they are supposed to, and only *then* think about introducing a big new system.

Quote Originally Posted by esheep View Post
    Another step would be to implement a method of upgrading tiered loot, because honestly, tiered loot helped facilitate that gap between the casual player and the uber player. Tiered loot should have never been implemented without a method to upgrade lower tier loot to higher tiers, unless you really wanted to reinforce the gap between skill levels.
    never happen. If tiered loot can be upgraded how can they make any money off the Shard Exchange?

Notice the raid loot that cannot be sold on the ASAH is able to be upgraded?

The AsAH has to make Turbine all kinds of money. But at the same time, raid bypasses were in high demand when FoT came out. If there were really good items in new raids, Turbine would make money via timers

Edit: Raids Rowen, Raids!!!

Give us the 2nd raid that we were promised when we bought the last Expansion Pack as well as the Dracolich Raid you mentioned in the other thread. 2 Raids next year pretty please.
    Last edited by Atremus; 08-15-2013 at 12:41 PM.
    Characters: Celemia / Tukson / Thau (Broken link) / Atremus

“A pessimist is one who feels bad when he feels good for fear he'll feel worse when he feels better.”

I would not take away shadow jumping.

Good, if you go all sunshine and rainbows I'd worry!
    Woot!

~~True D&D Roleplayers ~~

http://friendshipisdragons.thecomics.../comics/first/

~~Read this~~

http://stuffpoint.com/my-little-pony...plagp-picture/

Housing sounds like fun.

I miss raiding.

Make raids relevant again. Stupidly overpowered epic powers ruined the challenge and stupidly overpowered random epic loot removed any gain from doing them.

Have raids give awesome XP. Upgrade raid loot in the old raids then make named loot only drop at level. Make it fun and rewarding to run a raid instead of stomping it and looting the pitiful chest.

Why, post and lead your own raids at level, if that's what you want! VoN gives great XP and still has decent gear. You just aren't trying hard enough...

Look, I realize you can run a Tempest Spine or VoN at level if you are playing at peak times and get really lucky, but that's two out of all the raids I used to love to run. It's been a long time since I've been in a party that wiped in the SubT trying to get the archers on the buttons... and I actually miss the Shroud. Stop running on the yellow runes! Run water, you pikers!
    My best DDO memories revolve around struggles, not walks through the park to pick up uber gear. Everything shouldn't be a struggle- that's no fun either. But there's got to be a better balance than what we have now.
    A PUG is like a box of chocolates
    Get people to read your post.

Founder & Hero
    2016 DDO Players Council

Another race or class would be cool as would psonics developing more Eberron or doing greyhawk instead of the better they were forgotten realms
    That is what I would do

As to player housing please no never ever unless you can do it SWG style with player cities and all.

The ANTI-Realms FANBOI NUKE THE REALMS ITS THE ONLY REAL WAY TO BE SURE

Quote Originally Posted by Darthsarlacc View Post
    Lets assume that you are a producer for ddo and you are given a directive to design a way to increase revenue for ddo. You can do this any way you want, you are given full liberties, from items, to game mechanics. What would you do?

Any changes must have a guaranteed return on investment and must use the existing game as a base, no starting over.
    1) I would update Cannith Crafting to:
    a) go to level 200,
    b) add Masterful Craftsmanship II shards,
    c) allow them to go epic (e.g. +6 weapon enhancements, +7 stat enhancements),
    d) include most of the random effects currently in existence that were not in existence at the time Cannith Crafting was released (except for the really rare effects like "of a Thousand Suns" or "Omniscience,"
    e) extend the range of spellpower crafting beyond 66 to at LEAST 108 as well as allowing spell lore to be added to make an item commensurate with randomly generated implements (for example, a Cannith crafted +0 Combustion 66 scepter of Major Fire Lore is ML 20 while a randomly generated +3 Combustion scepter of Major Fire Lore is ML 16),
    f) make crafting levels account-based rather than character-based,
    g) make deconstructing items with both prefixes and suffixes grant essences for both with the expenditure of [insert fantasy name here]'s Sovereign Remover, available for a substantial price in plat and a modest price in Astral Shards,
    h) increase the minimum number of essence drops in high difficulty quests; I got 1 Greater Arcane Essence from a Fall of Truth chest the other day, which is lame,
    -To increase profitability, offer more items on the DDO store to increase your crafting level, like crafting tomes which permanently increase your crafting XP in specific schools and supreme crafting tomes which permanently increase your crafting XP in all schools. Add crafting tomes which permanently increase the XP received from crafting (like with quest XP tomes).

2) Improve guilds by:
    a) filling in some of the major gaps between levels 70 and 100 with +3 stat shrines, an NPC with a +1 artifact bonus to spell penetration and +10 maximum spell points, energy absorption 5%/10%/15% shrines, a Forgotten Realms planescaller (with destinations to Eveningstar and Wheloon),
    b) increase the maximum guild level to 150 with a two new, bigger airships purchasable at level 120 (Windspyre) and 125 (Stormglory),
    c) guarantee guild renown rewards on all end-reward lists so long as the character is no higher than 2 levels above the quest level,
    d) make guild renown awards static according to level; Heroic Deeds drops in level 1-7 quests, Tales of Valor drops in level 8-14 quests, Impressive Trophy drops in level 15-20 quests, Legendary Victory drops in level 21-25 quests,
    c) add a Mythical Epic award which awards 2000 renown for level 26-28+ quests,
    -To increase profitability, add gold seal versions of some of the suggested buffs described above at lower levels. Add special gold seal contracts only available for purchase with TP (+4 stat shrines, +2 spell penetration, energy absorption 20%, and resist energy 40 come to mind).

3) Create more adventures like Lines of Supply. Very creative! We get to set the traps now... hehehe!

4) While we're on the subject of traps, make the Trapmaking feat worth a damn. The only traps I see PCs using with any regularity are noise makers, and those in rare corner cases. Up the damage and up the DCs to something a monster on at-level elite or at-level epic elite might actually fail given a totally tweaked out Disable Device bonus.

5) Take away epic ward and other such immunities from monsters other than orange-, red-, and purple-names so that DC casting and instant-kills are still relevant for trash mobs. Right now the endgame is all about DPS and that's about it. There's little variety in the builds which can effectively handle epic elite.

6) Make the devs dialogue with players more... WAIT! Producer Rowan is already doing that! Awesome! I love the recent dev feedback we've been getting. It's great!

I've got a lot of other ideas, but these are some of the ones that have been really grating on me for a long time.

We have to choose where to invest, so if raids are really the thing and housing is useless let us know. Raids get a lot of forum traffic but not necessarily the player usage.
    Hell yea! More raids!

Default A handful of stand alone raids

Raids

How about some stand-a-lone raids that do not require a story arc and all of the extra work that type of project demands.

I would love to see an open ended raid that consisted of a battlefield or better yet a choke point complete with elevated spots for archer and other artillery. Think “300” with waves of different types of mobs that never stop coming. If you last X number of minutes you get X experience but after so long you don't gain more exp but bragging rights. I screen shot of the the xp button screen should do the trick. If they could set up a leader board for displaying how long you lasted that would be great but my guess is that folks would be posting SS of their times just to play one up on each other. Back in college in the 1980s I had a roommate who stole his folks VCR just to have video proof that he had beat our scores on the ATARI 2600.

Treasure could come in the treasure bags and perhaps the mechanism they use for the wilderness area in the Cove event.

Yep Devs need to drop a few stand-a-lone raids on us. Think a raid like the shroud that drops crafting items from all of the other content. Shards, marks, rare collectables, ioun stones along with good random items. Obviously the higher the level and the higher the setting the better the chance a your loot.

Community Member

Default Leadership

One of the few 3.x feats that hasn't been translated to DDO is leadership. And it could be a great money maker too.
    I reckon there are 2 ways it could run. (I will freely admit I am much more Luddite than l33t h4xor so my views of complexity may be totally wrong.) The 'troops & villagers' part of leadership is obviously impossible to replicate in an MMO but the idea of a cohort is viable.

Option I (Owlbear) Buy "Leadership" as a bonus feat from the store for your character. This gives a pack of identical gold seal hirelings at different levels permanently added to inventory. Eg, A lvl 9, 12, 15, 18, 21, 24 version of the same hireling.

Option 2 (Dog) Buy "Leadership" as a char feat AND buy "Leadership" from the store. Again min lvl 9, your cohort acts like a 'companion', same as druid wolf or Arti metal defender.

Option 1 is, I guess, much easier to code and implement but limited and at higher levels open to encouraging ppl to solo with themself, owlbear, pussycat, hireling and the 21 & 24 version making a full team.

Option 2 is quite possibly impossible to code ... but would allow people to individualise their cohorts in the same way animal companions can be individualised.

Whichever option, there are a few different cohorts that would work:
    + Animal ...rangers can get their animal companion now if they really want it (a big cat, a hyena, many other existing beasts would work.)
    + Knight ... only for lawful chars, armoured tank with + hate
    + Scout ... ranged DPS with - hate
    + Apprentice ... with Haste/Rage/Blur/Etc (as enhancement lines to build up)
    + Brute ... only Chaotic chars, a bbn/rog mix, situationally either great or useless.
    + Druid ... some HoT and some elemental DPS
    + Druid ... a spellcasting bear!
    + Ranger ... a TWF DPSer
    + Etc.

As long as there is not a Rogue/Arti or a pure healer divine char class available it shouldn't affect the sale of regular gold seal hirelings.

Ofc the guys who can run EE backwards, whilst asleep and wearing ladies underwear, will argue this is pointless, frivolous and (if it uses a feat) downright wasteful. But for we the 'silent majority' (who solo/short man with pals most stuff) it'd help a lot.

/Fire shield - Cold

2014 DDO Players Council Flavilandile's Avatar

Lets assume that you are a producer for ddo and you are given a directive to design a way to increase revenue for ddo. You can do this any way you want, you are given full liberties, from items, to game mechanics. What would you do?

Any changes must have a guaranteed return on investment and must use the existing game as a base, no starting over.
    - Kill the Bravery Streak and go back to the old underlevel bonus system. ( With the new ransack system that comes monday it should do something nice )
    - Add Bags to the Store ( BtA bags ) : Spell Component Bag, Scroll Case, Cannith Crafting Essence Bags, Vale and Greensteel Ingredient Bag, Challenge Collectable Bags, Epic Components Bag, Trap Parts Bags
    - Fully develop Cannith Crafting so that it covers all the powers available in random lootgen.
    - Update the other crafting ( Trapmaking ) so that they are actually useful and worthy to develop.
    - as the old Scroll/Shard/Seal is being phased out, put out a Seal & Shard Exchange like the Scroll one and make it something general to cover all the quests.
    - Change the old Epic quests so that they stop dropping Scrolls/Seals and Shards but instead drops new Epic Tiered Items and Commendations.
    - Add more content, a lot more content, both to Eberron and Faerun to rebuild an endgame.
    * 5/6 Raids reachable without having to waste an hour in an explorer area. ( no more than 5 minutes in explorer )
    * 15/30 quests as you will have to have quests due to the ransack system.
    - Kill the upcoming Epic TR for now. This topic will have to be discussed in length.
    - Rollback the enhancement crash if possible and build a tree UI with the Old Enhancements.
    - Finish the PREs so that each and every class has at least 3 PRE to choose from. ( once you have rolled back to the old system )
    On G-Land : Flavilandile, Blacklock, Yaelle, Millishande, Larilandile, Gildalinde, Tenalafel, and many other...

Community Member

Default Some nice ideas in there

Quote Originally Posted by Hazelnut View Post
    I would do some very boring things, starting with:

0) (added after I saw it) Implement what Teh_Troll said, purchasable nobility titles.

1) Trying to figure out how effective the advertising campaign for WoW was a few years ago (well after it came out) at driving new subscribers. If it proved effective, look at doing something similar to drive interest.

2) Play with the pricing in the DDO Store, see if lowering prices got more purchases happening.

3) Make Turbine Points universal across DDO and LOTR to generate a little more willingness/excitement between players that aren't on both.

4) Get the creatives to add a LOAD more cosmetic outfits. If you don't believe this would sell, go have a look at the rampant availability of purely decorative "fashion" accessories on Second Life (ya they are still around and doing okay).

5) As long as you are looking at Second Life, find out about the viability of their "world" servers. There might be some good opportunity for learning there to drastically expand the wilderness areas and make even more cities/quests. (think trade caravans between cities)

6) Look at the possibility of supporting user generated quests (like NWN). This one is probably so big that it would fall into some sort of "DDO 2" release alongside the current DDO. That could lead to more buzz and more advertising and excitement. Done right it doesn't have to invalidate existing player if they are able to migrate their toons. #5 probably fits in the "DDO 2" idea. NOTE: DDO 2 is more of a way to convince the gaming media that it is "new and exciting".

7) Expand on the use of non-core game mechanics that let players "skip the grind". Possibilities of vendors that sell crafting ingredients for astral shards.

8) Create a mobile app for DDO with some limited functionality such as: guild chat, character inventory management, shopping in the DDO Store.

9) Create some "suburbs" in Stormreach (and other cities) with houses that you can get for your toon. Limited to VIPs only. The house would/could be much like a guild ship but on an individual basis. Start it off with a chest (basically a bank slot) and allow the opportunity to purchase assorted "house idols" for buffing. Definitely include the ability for the homeowner to invite people into their house and have "house voice chat" as an option. Although this might also be something that requires "DDO 2".

10) Have someone anonymously reviewing the forums for good ideas and summarize the best of them in a weekly meeting. Someone with a tough skin who can largely ignore the complaints (there should be other people watching complains already, there is probably a few people doing this already).

I like the 1. cosmetics & pets. Houses probably fall into the same category. Would be nice if you could add things based on raid finishes trophies, completionist banners etc. Not one for them myself, but its clear people like these and buy them, so it would help revenue.

That mobile app would be REALLY good. Give us the chance to look at our characters, handle the AH, browse inventory/bank, maybe even craft items, post about them on social media if we want (that would help with brand building too) and manage guilds / ingame chat.

Personally I am not too fond of being able to buy things like essences etc. for AS as you mention, that would distract from playing the game too much (they could start adding "crafting cook books" with special effects you can't otherwise get though)

Well keeping in mind the bolded part of this OP. There are a few things I would do to keep the game fun, engaging and of course get a higher return investment from players.

1) Inventory: Lets be real, players want it, they want more of it, and they are willing pay for it as long as it is reasonable.

The basic idea is that a single source of inventory is what players want.

More Bank Tabs
    Special item vaults
    Player housing
    Pack Mules
    Etc.

I would see what I could do to keep the additional inventory spaces available in any way possible.

2) Crafting: This is an issue. Really there are a lot of games that have a worthless crafting system, and DDO is one of those games, which makes it look bad, not to mention the crafting system in it's current start looks abandoned.. However, it could be a decent money maker if it was done better.

I would take the time to see if it would be worth it to upgrade the crafting system. If it was not, then I would vapor it, and just refund players AS for every crafting level they had and call that mess done.

It actually looks worse to have a bad system then to not have a system at all. And it costs me nothing to give players a few AS (Lets hear it for more active spending) this would put more AS into game, older players would feel they got a prize, or whatever, and thus maybe increase spending, which would be good for the game economy.

If I was going to save it. That means I need to make money off it, so, I would sell all the parts players needed in the DDO store. All the Ingredients, parts, and stuff a player needed would be available in the DDO store.

I would include Special blanks of every type from Wooden Swords, to Glass Hammers, in the DDO store. But they would be BtA on Equip, so players could sell them on the ASAH.

Is that pay to win, not really, and I will explain further down.

3) Revamp -Some- of the old raids:

This is a tricky part. Some of the older raids in the game need a update, but, I would not want to mess with the original raid, as that just tends to break things (Abbot?) what I would do is add in new raids that were the "Next Step" type of deal. No I am not going to elaborate.

4) New Packs: and 6 Man Raids:

Lets be real, no one likes In the Flesh because of the end fight is just insane, and that is because it is not marketed well. I needs to be marketed as a 6 Man Raid like encounter, like DD, and Reavers.

So I would add in lots of Heroic Packs. Levels 8 - 20 in FR, that some of them would end with, very evident "6 man raids".

A lot of packs would be put out, new gear, new items, and new named loot that would provide fun items like Wooden Swords, and Glass Hammers

Also, consider expanding into other area's of Ebberon (Mournlands, Sharn, Etc) as well as move off to other worlds: Darksun, Ravenloft, Dragonlance, etc.

5) Art Department: I would put these guys into full bore mode and start to really put out some new armor skins, get some custom weapon skins, and really get the Cosmetics going.

Personally, most of the gear, items, and stuff in this game really look rehashed, and that reeks of lazy. I mean, reusing Undying Gaze in loot gen in the new pack, yuck!

Anyway, I would get them to really focus on new stuff, fresh stuff into the DDO store, armors that really enticed players to get them, not stuff that looks kinda sorta like existing stuff, just a little different. But really, new stuff, armor that makes people pause and go "Damn that looks cool!"

I liked the new blade forged look, I liked the way the new paragon classes look, there needs to be more of that in DDO, a lot more.

More Head slots, like Cosmetic Goggles for example, and more Cosmetic Slots (IE: Boots, Bracers, Gloves, Belt) (if even possible)

Because - 1) It sells, 2) I gets new people to to overlook the 7 year old graphics everywhere else.

Personally, I would make sure that Each pack would get it own Unique Looking Loot, to entice players to buy those packs. And maybe have each pack have a Special Cosmetic Armor set to go with it (BtC on Acquire of course)

6) TRing.

The TR mechanic is very unique to DDO (afaik) and I would put a Dev team to focus on the TR system to make it more enticing, the rewards better, and more avenues looked into regarding it.

I have talked about this on other posts.

I think those things would really spice up the income for DDO as well as revive the game in the process.

2014 DDO Players Council
    Alt-pletionist

Tolero isn't exactly anonymous, but I have a full summary that we review every week with senior executives.

I'll file these under too early to tell (and definitely not promised)...

- New class (we're discussing)
    - Housing (we're discussing)

I bet your metrics show some oddities like VON5+6 being run more than newer raids like Lord of Blades. I'm betting this is the case because it hints at the "true" reason Raids aren't that popular. They don't have relevant loot. With a 1 or 2% drop rate the loot must be compelling or people simply say "eff that man". All the old shiny's are tarnished and dusty, all the old Epics that required lots of grind are with only a few rare exceptions, superseded by newer stuff (naturally enough). The game's drop rates and the high speed at which we level past that old content forces a situation where no one is going to run a raid for a 1% shot at something that becomes obsolete a level or two later.

Look at VON or Shroud in comparison, eSoS, and greensteel are still relevant (though GS is slipping), I still want an SP item on all my casters. And I've NEVER so much as gotten a single part of Sword of Shadows, but I continue to run the odd VON because it's a fun raid with stuff for everyone to do, and there's always that hint of a possibility of one day getting that eSoS.

Look at the ones NO ONE runs anymore except the occasional "just for old times sake" LFM:

Twilight Forge: Obsolete loot that is too low a drop rate to be worth bothering with and too inaccessible (flagging is brutal, explorer/tunnels and mini map is terrible, despite being a fun pre-raid and interesting boss (for 4 people the others have nothing to do)
    VOD low drop rates and obsolete gear
    Hound low drop rates and obsolete gear and hard to get to quest
    TOD, supremely lame flagging/boot crafting, low drop rates and gear is on the cusp of being irrelevant. still gets run on a semi-nightly basis
    Abbot gear is still semi relevant (quiver); still see occasional late night LFM's for it on thelanis if the dude from Starfleet guild or the one or two other's who lead it are feeling like running it.
    LOB, very few LFM's, pain to get to, party wipes abound, kite fest with two people having anything to do for most of the raid, gear was made obsolete far too quickly, 90 spell power on a shield and weapons that have been surpassed long ago. Make the Spell power scale up with new upgrades and make the weapons heroic comm upgradable.
    Marty haven't seen an LFM for it in 3 months.

These were run much more before Motu raised level cap etc. made their gear less and less relevant. A lot of us would love to see "old end game" as we call it revamped up to level 28 (with some provisions to make them level 30 with the "forever cap") with polished up shiny's and maybe Heroic comm upgrades that help keep the loot relevant.

They are also strangled a little by the lack of free to play players, no ones buying a raid that has loot that is obsolete, and F2P players can't run them.

I suggest releasing some of old end game as F2P
    a polished Twilight Forge F2P (not that is was end game really but whatever)
    Entire Sub-T (VOD and Hound) F2P with polished loot that has heroic comm upgrades (or something similar).
    Chronoscope (can't remember if it's F2P of not) update the item sets a tiny bit (they are borderline still relevant)
    Polish a few Epics and re-release them as F2P:
    Carnival
    Sentinals
    Make HALF of the Secrets of the Artificers pack F2P, Marty the explorer and 2 quests modify flagging so two free quests get you into Marty. Then buff the heck out of Alchemicals, make them scale better (red slots for spell power instead of static 90 spell power) ad Armor to the system, and make LOB and a new quest and one of the old ones P2P at a significantly reduced cost. This is a old sales technique, get them in the door for free, get them spending on a "loss leader" and they will spend more.

Then redo the for pay packs:
    Epic Necropolis (don't remake it just buff the loot and the mob CR's with epic difficulties)
    As above Polish the loot in LOB and marty, alchemical crafting is basically dead in the water. Across all my Characters only 1 wants (well wanted, not any more) an Alchemical and that's because of the need for Superior Radiance Lore, a red slot and it has to be a Tower shield. That is overly specific, and not many are going to need that. Mostly because Tower shields have very poor options, and even worse for a Divine/Melee. However since the Sages Skullcap with 132 radiance and 19% radiance lore came out even that toon doesn't, and will use a different tower shield.
    Epic shroud mild polish of Greensteel, by adding a third triple shard tier of recipes. with an "undiscovered new Alter" and a new round (new test) in between the beginning and the end. (on epic and raises ML of item to Epic))
    TOD, minor brush up of loot, mostly to make the TOD sets actually work and add/finish the PrE tie ins, or make that aspect go away to replace with something more generic.
    Last edited by IronClan; 08-29-2013 at 04:31 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by IronClan View Post
    You can't possibly design good gameplay if excitement unpredictability and unknowns are NOT ALLOWED because they confuse some players who want everything cut and dried and spelled out for them.

Community Member

I would spend another $120 or so for Housing if it were done right. . .I will continue to spend money if you provide more functionality.

There is nothing wrong with the old raids, they just need to get Heroic Commendations upgrades so that people will want to run them again.

Then, when everyone has items that need upgrading, THEN give them another Raid. . .it will really extend the feeding frenzy that we all enjoy about upgrading raid items.

Turbine you are gonna make way more money on Housing than you ever will with another Raid. . .which means bigger budget and better content.

DDO can't afford to keep shooting for the moon and failing. . .prove to us that you can tackle an Epic project and not leave it half finished though.

1. Make signing in cost 5 Astral shards.
    2. Make logging a character into a world cost Astral shards - the higher the server population at that moment the higher the cost.
    3. Make rezzing cost Astral shards.
    4. Make using the bank cost Astral shards.
    5. Make using the portals cost Astral shards.
    6. Make leveling cost Astral shards.
    7. Make crafting cost Astral shards.
    8. Make using guild buffs cost Astral shards.
    9. Make 2nd tier CL favor reward cost Astral shards.
    10. Make 1st and 2nd tier House K favor rewards cost Astral shards.
    11. Drop all CL levels by a huge margin so that it doesn't invalidate one of the few level 8 spells that we have to play with.
    12. Create 10 new spells per level over 5 for each class.... and charge Astral shards for all the new spell scrolls.
    Characters - Brion, Damerchant, Deathbot, Goode-, Minusten, Sepiriz, Spiritstrike, Stee, Steilh, Vorpaal, Wyllye, Yaga, Yagalicious, Yga. RIP - Catpizzle and Qazpe
    Beware My Gifts!!!

What is this housing thing people mention?

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan_Milic View Post
    What is this housing thing people mention?
    A place to store my halfling slaves.

Quote Originally Posted by Atremus View Post

Edit: Raids Rowen, Raids!!!
    You guys really dropped the ball on 'What Goes Up.'

That should have been made a raid.

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast