Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast
    Community Member

Default If you where a ddo producer what would you do?

Lets assume that you are a producer for ddo and you are given a directive to design a way to increase revenue for ddo. You can do this any way you want, you are given full liberties, from items, to game mechanics. What would you do?

Any changes must have a guaranteed return on investment and must use the existing game as a base, no starting over.

I would put more classic D&D modules in DDO, like Myth Dranor and Ruins of Undermountain, and add in more creatures from
    the monster manual.
    Mangas Geronimo (Paladin) Grocery Baggs (Ranger) Naiche Geronimo (Cleric)

Guild - Orien's Rejects

The next 3 packs would include a raid with production scheduled for a pack every 2-3 months as a way to rebuild endgame.

Several pay for convience items in the store such as
    spell ing bags
    potion case
    scroll case
    unbreakable thieves tools with various mls for each +

Tieflings and asimar as player races

Epic ToD and a new amrath pack

Focus would be on content development and maintenance. More new stuff to do = more players hanging around longer, which means more chance to spend money.
    Advocating repeated nerfs in the name of "balancing the game" then complaining about how DDO is moving away from D&D, is a direct contradiction in logic - D&D 3.5 (what DDO is based on) is not a balanced game. We can either have a balanced clone MMO with homogenized classes, or we can have a D&D game. We cant have both.

1. The Little People Pack - Kobold and Gnome Playable races, Goblin Mobs - Goblins overwhelm the Stormreach Sewers and the Kobolds have to come out into the light.
    Goldscuttle leads the Defense aided by The FvS and Sorc Trainers in the Harbour and Marketplace {both Kobolds} - These are your questgivers!

As for Gnomes - New House with a number of quests and possibly a Raid - Though the Kobold vs Goblin Raid should be the major one!

2. Spelljammer - From Forgotten Realms we can now go into Wildspace and on to Oerth, Mystara, Krynn etc.

3. Sharn - Advance the Eberron storyline with a follow on to the Sharn Syndicate quest line that takes us far from Xendrik.

Oh and see my two recent threads about Hirelings and Augments also.

Quote Originally Posted by Darthsarlacc View Post
    Lets assume that you are a producer for ddo and you are given a directive to design a way to increase revenue for ddo. You can do this any way you want, you are given full liberties, from items, to game mechanics. What would you do?

Any changes must have a guaranteed return on investment and must use the existing game as a base, no starting over.
    If I were a DDO producer:
    1. Improve Customer relations and build trust by improving the value proposition: 1) ensure product quality 2) ensuring customer success/happiness. This can be more by automated testing of the API layer of the application if GUI automation is not possible. Customer success and happiness can be improved by listening, acknowledging and fixing issues, quality of life improvements; and of course a product road map for the future.
    2. Customer retention programs like monster composition to counter player party, better monster AI, random traps, random map layouts and in general unexpected events and not just mind numbing hacks and slash so that every dungeon feels fresh and challenging.
    3. Improve current customer retention programs like bonus XP days, bonus gold chests and having customer say "this is cool"
    4. Promote the DDO brand so that more people in the world knows about it. The past Shadar-kai art competition was a good start...
    5. Build a high performance organization to do all of the above.
    Last edited by Tyrande; 08-14-2013 at 02:42 PM. Reason: add high performance organization

With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility

Community Member

I suspect (hope) you mean "profit" rather than "revenue", but I'd start by gathering a wide range of metrics for the past 6 years on subscriptions, player activity, player demographics, DDO store sales volumes, production and maintenance costs and anything else they have available. Only then could any strategy grounded in reality be formulated.

Any answer not based on having that information is guesswork at best, if not futile and counterproductive.

1) Focus to UGC. D&D is not only about players but also about dungeon masters.
    2) Random generated dungeons as another type of challenge
    3) slayer public areas without need to grouping (like Smugglers Rest)
    4) Make PvP slightly better.

This can help to compete with the other MMOs

Thelanis: Shewind the Airbender (Sorc20/Epic5 -> Bard20/Epic8 -> Rog20/Epic8/Epic2 -> Harper_FvS20/Epic4 -> Art19), Azaxe (Rog18/Wiz2 -> Sorc20/Epic6)

That's a tough question. The DDO player base is so varied between hardcore and casual, new and old players.

I guess my first priority would be to find something that would appeal to new players while still appealing to the long term players. New blood means more money, and every business has to maintain a certain % of new customers to remain successful. I would probably move away from the expansion pack model. While its a great way to make the game modular, it tends to make it less accessible to new players. The adventure packs are already limiting. I really like the way that the Lordsmarch Plaza has some quests that are free, and if you continue on the chain you have to buy the pack. To me that is the perfect model for a F2P MMO. Give them a taste (even if its only a few quests), and then sell them the steak.

Content wise there are at least few things mentioned here that I agree with. Bringing in classic D&D moduals is appealing to a wide audience. RAIDS are essential to keep hardcore gammers happy. You will need compatibility between them to keep casual and new players happy (like commendations for example).

If I had free reign, and could do whatever I liked for whatever reason, there would be permanent hirelings available in the store. Maybe even ones you level and gear up with you. I would also expand into Khorvair and the Mournlands.
    The problem is never how to get new, innovative thoughts into your mind, but how to get old ones out. Every mind is a building filled with archaic furniture. Clean out a corner of your mind and creativity will instantly fill it.
    Dee Hock

Well, a few things I would do:

1. The next three updates would be two high level packs set in the Forgotten Realms with a raid each, then one high level set in Eberron with one raid. The eberron pack would be Free-to-Play, and include a heroic version of the quests as well, level 17-20. Each quarter would have a new pack, with every third one being free-to-play.

2. A new expansion next year, and the last for awhile, that includes three packs, four wildernesses, a raid, and it spans both Eberron and the Realms.

3. Iron out the Iconics, including a few new classes and races that we want to see.

4. Introduce one new race and one new class that are separate from the iconics. Possibly Tiefling or Aasamir, and the new class would probably be.......I don't know...possibly warlock. These will be free for VIPs.

5. One world event a year (not counting stuff like Mabar or Cove...more like the market invasion). Something big...something....epic!

6. Kobold cookies in the store, similar to the Taken cookies, but you can fight and cast while in kobold form, allowing those who REALLY want to be a Kobold the chance to kinda sorta be one.

7. Add one to two more things to VIP that aren't already there. The 10% xp, extra run speed and the new xp ransack "free run" are all good, but just some little extra thing that says "thanks". No, it won't be free expansions....but it will be something awesome.

8. Mounts. Don't care how, just make it happen.

9. An epic-level free-to-play "classics" pack, featuring Gwylan's Stand, Caverns of Korromar, Tear of Dhakaan, Irestone Inlet and Tempest Spine.

10. Have a cup of tea, and wait for all this to blow over.... https://www.ddo.com/forums/images/smilies/biggrin.png
    Shorlong - Pale Master, Cevon - Druid Archer, Gorgnak - Barbarian, Addanc - Bear Tank, Juristash - Shadar Kai Assassin, Treiah - Morninglord Tempest Ranger, Baylfyre - CC Bard, Deimanus - Bladeforged Melee Arti, Daerian - Healing Cleric Morninglord, Krazig - Pally Tank, Veriste - Shadar Kai Death Knight, Xanapheia - TWF FVS, Helainia - Shadar Kai Henshin-Theif

Leader of The Dark Creed

Sell Titles of Nobility in the DDO store.

Cheap to produce, no P2Win value added, and idiots would buy them.

2015 DDO Players Council Hazelnut's Avatar

I would do some very boring things, starting with:

0) (added after I saw it) Implement what Teh_Troll said, purchasable nobility titles.

1) Trying to figure out how effective the advertising campaign for WoW was a few years ago (well after it came out) at driving new subscribers. If it proved effective, look at doing something similar to drive interest.

2) Play with the pricing in the DDO Store, see if lowering prices got more purchases happening.

3) Make Turbine Points universal across DDO and LOTR to generate a little more willingness/excitement between players that aren't on both.

4) Get the creatives to add a LOAD more cosmetic outfits. If you don't believe this would sell, go have a look at the rampant availability of purely decorative "fashion" accessories on Second Life (ya they are still around and doing okay).

5) As long as you are looking at Second Life, find out about the viability of their "world" servers. There might be some good opportunity for learning there to drastically expand the wilderness areas and make even more cities/quests. (think trade caravans between cities)

6) Look at the possibility of supporting user generated quests (like NWN). This one is probably so big that it would fall into some sort of "DDO 2" release alongside the current DDO. That could lead to more buzz and more advertising and excitement. Done right it doesn't have to invalidate existing player if they are able to migrate their toons. #5 probably fits in the "DDO 2" idea. NOTE: DDO 2 is more of a way to convince the gaming media that it is "new and exciting".

7) Expand on the use of non-core game mechanics that let players "skip the grind". Possibilities of vendors that sell crafting ingredients for astral shards.

8) Create a mobile app for DDO with some limited functionality such as: guild chat, character inventory management, shopping in the DDO Store.

9) Create some "suburbs" in Stormreach (and other cities) with houses that you can get for your toon. Limited to VIPs only. The house would/could be much like a guild ship but on an individual basis. Start it off with a chest (basically a bank slot) and allow the opportunity to purchase assorted "house idols" for buffing. Definitely include the ability for the homeowner to invite people into their house and have "house voice chat" as an option. Although this might also be something that requires "DDO 2".

10) Have someone anonymously reviewing the forums for good ideas and summarize the best of them in a weekly meeting. Someone with a tough skin who can largely ignore the complaints (there should be other people watching complains already, there is probably a few people doing this already).
    Last edited by Hazelnut; 08-14-2013 at 02:52 PM. Reason: support for Teh_Troll's idea.
    Zyinniah Hazelnut and Curissa Hazelnut on most servers.

1. Gnomes, Thieflings, and Aasimar as playable races.
    2. An expansion to Sigil.
    3. Epic Shroud, VoD, Hound, and ToD

Community Member

I would add FR specific races, and add FR content for the 1-15 level range, so a new character or TR could have the option of leveling up in Faerûn.

Add a parallel to the Lords of Dust chain so that FR born characters will have the option to travel to Eberron at a similar level.
    http://myaccount.turbine.com

Je ne suis pas
    DDO Alpha Tester

Give us castles and keeps, let as raise armies and oppress the local peasants.

I LOVE medieval 2 total war, give me a some of those elements in DDO.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Troll View Post

Yes, then I could accept the quest from the oppressed local peasants to destroy their evil overlord.
    http://myaccount.turbine.com

Je ne suis pas
    DDO Alpha Tester

2015 DDO Players Council Hazelnut's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Troll View Post

Well, if you are going to do that, let people TR into the assorted monster/baddie races and make the whole castles & keeps a PvP Good vs Evil area (Neutrals can pick either side) of never-ending death.

Of course, this probably fails the OPs request that it be immediately revenue generating.
    Zyinniah Hazelnut and Curissa Hazelnut on most servers.

As a lover of the game, I would advertise more. Create and retrofit dungeons with fewer video game mechanics like barriers that drop when you kill all the monsters or red named bosses that are immune to everything, and replace them with random bosses who have different immunities and powers as well as more logical mechanisms for continuation including stealth options. Also there would be random encounters that would require strategy, luck, diplomacy, etc. Basically, options for solutions other than constant dps, dps, and more dps.

I would probably completely redo arcanes, limiting the number of spells they can cast per rest, but allowing them the ability to create scrolls and wands that are meaningful to the game. (Not just heals)

Bards would have the possibility of having permanent hirelings based on cha and level. These hirelings would level with the character, perhaps a couple levels lower than the toon. Fighters of a certain level would also get squires, relatively low level clerics or fighters that would work similar to pets. They could also be advanced as the toon advances.

Monks and druids in wolf form would have similar run speeds. It's pretty silly that monk can outrun a wolf when wolves can run 40mph for short distance, and humans are doing good to hit half that.

All the classes would get their pres finished. EDs would be class based, no more wizards throwing boulders and rogues creating tsunamis. Twists would be available, but the power would be determined by how many levels a toon has in the class that relates to the power. This would make class choices important for end game. And make for much more interesting characters. Encourage personalization.

As a business person, I would advertise. Fix bugs. Create quality content, over quantity if a choice needs to be made. I would also make available things that all characters can use in store. More bank space, real bags of holding that contain scrolls, pots, spell mats, etc. It's pretty clear that the era of the MMO is changing, and that you can either try to appeal to the ADHD crowd and get maximum bucks from the short period that they are involved, or you can cater to the regular players who stick around for a year or more and give them what they want.

The game could use more depth, but this also includes more opportunity to make money. VIP status should mean something, and if that means raising the monthly sub, then do it. Half a$$ing it both ways just makes it look like a poor choice. Go all the way and give VIPs everything and charge appropriately for it. The number of VIPs may drop, but the overall money won't be significantly different, and future players will look to VIP as something that's really desired, not as "should I or shouldn't I?" They should definitely want to if they can afford it. There should be no question. Over time, with a healthy game and playerbase, this would mean a lot more money. There are a lot of players who have plenty of discretionary income. Rather than encouraging thriftiness, get these people so involved they don't mind spending the money.

And finally, I would encourage grouping however possible. Redo bravery or xp... whatever it takes to get people playing together. Sure, the game should be solo capable, but it should be up to the choice of the player, not up to the game mechanics.

Default My Response To Being Producer

As a long time Player & Guild Leader, I'd have to state my position as Producer would fall under the following:
    ---------

1. Correct Login Issues, Character Swapping, & other Load Lag that's been consistent lately.

2. Correct the stupid Ladder Bug that's been prevalent for years now!

3. Setup an Alliance Tab on the Social Panel, for those Guilds running one.

4. Setup a "Scheduled Time" for Crystal Cove, such as the other Events ... & not allow it to be "Tossed Into Play" whenever there is an Issue that needs to be addressed as a Band Aid to keep people around.

5. Remove some of the Quests that the majority of Players don't even touch & put into Play a few new Quest Areas, such as maybe a Low Level "Forgotten Realms" section or better yet, Bluespine Peaks.

6. Enter in more Forgotten Realms Questing / Raids.

7. With every New Expansion: Deliver more Playable Content of Heroic & Epic Levels.

8. With every Expansion: Deliver at least one Raid. (Heroic Raids = Special Loot for appropriate Levels)
    (Epic Raids = Special Loot or Craftable Loot for appropriate Levels)

9. Improve XP, Items, or Favor for specific "rarely played" areas that do not fall into the Majority that would be removed from Game entirely.

10. Give Free-To-Play Players a larger Bonus of DDO Points when reaching Mlestones, so they have a better chance at purchasing Packs. (leave VIP Points alone.)

11. Give the VIPS another 250 Points a Month for their Money.

12. Add more Armor Kits, Creature Companions, Potions of different types, & more Character Options on the DDO Store. (i.e. I liked the idea of "Titles" -although, I believe those should come from Favor.)

13. Allow different designs to Airships, not just color changes.

14. Offer a "Special" for Brand New Players, such as a Free First 100 Cure Serious Wounds Potions, 50 Major Mana Potions, or a Choice of an Armor or Weapon.

Hope this spawns some more ideas. Have fun thinking of them everyone!
    Burn 'Em or Insta' Death!

Quote Originally Posted by Tscheuss View Post
    Yes, then I could accept the quest from the oppressed local peasants to destroy their evil overlord.
    How would you look chained to my wall? Bring it do-gooder! :P

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast