Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

1) New player acquisition; all quests that are older than 36 months should be f2p, there isn't enough front loaded content to keep the causal player in long enough to convert into a premium. I am also assuming this old content isn't the bread and butter maker either (Account upgrades are the butter maker).

2) Entice casual players to spend a little bit of money each year; Go back to the seasonal adventure packs, 3 paid with a total value no larger than $10 each and a 4th that is f2p.
    b) Upgrade the vip from Access Everything* to Access Everything! Favor rewards are a really nice touch and the f2p community loves it, but asking your VIP players to pay twice isn't. There are other account upgrades that the player loses access to if they downgrade from VIP, if they haven't unlocked it through favor when they downgrade it should be removed also.
    c) Account upgrades, what's available to the f2p market is perfect, it's enough to get them through the game, but extras are a nice extension (so long as they aren't game breaking).

3) Keep an eye on the power gamers, see how they are spending their points, they go through them faster than anyone else, develop in that direction and give them options to enhance their end game (TRing has to be one of the most brilliant things in DDO). Just don't change the game as a whole to cater to this group (other wise the above two groups won't exist), give them more ways to demonstrate just how much better at DDO they are to everyone else (TR ladder).

2015 DDO Players Council Hazelnut's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ProducerRowan View Post
    Tolero isn't exactly anonymous, but I have a full summary that we review every week with senior executives.

I'll file these under too early to tell (and definitely not promised)...

- New class (we're discussing)
    - Housing (we're discussing)

We have to choose where to invest, so if raids are really the thing and housing is useless let us know. Raids get a lot of forum traffic but not necessarily the player usage.
    Check my join date. Everyone is anonymous to me.

I would like a suitable Halfling mobile home in a Jurassic park please (at least I think that's what I read about halfling background).
    Zyinniah Hazelnut and Curissa Hazelnut on most servers.

1.) Sell it to blizzard (not even they could screw ddo up as much as the past year has)

2.) Use profits to hire different devs with my own out line of what a dnd mmo should be.

We have to choose where to invest, so if raids are really the thing and housing is useless let us know. Raids get a lot of forum traffic but not necessarily the player usage.
    Raids would be run more if there weren't :

Tedious flagging requirements
    Tedious explorer zones that must be traversed to enter the raid entrance.
    Irrelevant loot.

If you made another raid like Lord of Blades, that had the ease of access of Chronoscope, with a looting system like the shroud, It would be the most popular thing in the game.

Make it happen.

Quote Originally Posted by fTdOmen View Post
    Raids would be run more if there weren't :

Tedious flagging requirements
    Tedious explorer zones that must be traversed to enter the raid entrance.
    Irrelevant loot.

If you made another raid like Lord of Blades, that had the ease of access of Chronoscope, with a looting system like the shroud, It would be the most popular thing in the game.

Make it happen.
    Relevant loot is the #1 reason people run Raids. When the loot becomes worthless, people stop running it. Why do you think Shroud is still run today? Because the HP and SP items are still very valuable, even at cap.

More raids need to be like Titan, where once you flag for it on a toon you acquire an object that renders you PERMANENTLY flagged for the raid. That way, if you TR you do not have to re-flag for the raid.

Shroud is also so popular because you usually get something each run that is progress towards your goal. With the majority of raids, you could run it 80 times and still not get the thing you were looking for. And that just isn't fun. But with Shroud and LOB, you are further towards your goal on most runs than you were before you did it. LOB isn't run anymore because the loot is so horribly outdated. But, humongous slayer area aside, LOB is one of the most entertaining raids in the game.

Speaking of which, for raids like LOB that do have the ginormous "pre-raid" slayer areas, it should be like Tower of Despair, where once you run to the entrance of the raid, there is an NPC or teleporter device you can activate to be able to port to the entrance of the raid after that, skipping the horribly monotonous slayer area.

Quote Originally Posted by djl View Post
    More raids need to be like Titan, where once you flag for it on a toon you acquire an object that renders you PERMANENTLY flagged for the raid. That way, if you TR you do not have to re-flag for the raid.
    Actually, this might be a nice perk for completionist. Someone was talking about doing something for them that was really special. How about permanent flagging for all quests and raids that have been run at least once? I mean, it's not like a completionist hasn't run every quest at least a half dozen times... and probably closer to 50 for some of them. Cut 'em a break. It's not game breaking at all, but it would be a nice perk.

Community Member

Tolero isn't exactly anonymous, but I have a full summary that we review every week with senior executives.

Since Raids get alot of forum traffic:
    I personally would like housing alot more than new raids.. Raids are in fact somewhat detrimental to my experience if they serve as conclusion to a story line.
    Having a storyline conclude in a setting i will never step in nor want to step in is kinda meh.

Over housing though moar quests, can never have enough quests :P

Quote Originally Posted by Darthsarlacc View Post
    Lets assume that you are a producer for ddo and you are given a directive to design a way to increase revenue for ddo. You can do this any way you want, you are given full liberties, from items, to game mechanics. What would you do?

Any changes must have a guaranteed return on investment and must use the existing game as a base, no starting over.
    I would remove online store and do everything I wanted to sell, whether prepurchase for expansion packs (minimum 3 adventure packs with a raid bundled together) or just TP bundles, in the one and only DDO store and only for TP. Make a business model SIMPLE and EFFECTIVE.

I would open a game server or two in Europe just to get latency low for European players and all purchase processing can be located on US servers. I'd find a company to run it and deploy updates. If that's to hard to do, then you don't have a global service. I would also offer a free transfer.

I would modify all older content, where Cannith quests and raids are older content as well, in the following way:
    - make items useful, especially the ones from Cannith raids, to be viable in level 30 quests. This is especially needed for many Sands items and I don't mean only adding an augment slot to it, but really recreating an item to be worthwhile getting it because random generated thrash should NEVER be stronger than Epic Flint . Or I would add new items just so that these adventure packs get sold.
    - adjust MOB AI so that each mob acts differently on casual, normal, hard and elite. I would change spell selections and add empower or maximized to Epic elites. Also, melee mobs would get some updated tricks.
    - do some minor changes within the quests just so that they bring some novelty in level design or add one-two more quests to older adventure packs.
    - rework Threnal quest chains so that they're totally different. Entering the Giant's chamber would be a RAID with Epic difficulties and level 30 loot. This would be a completely new explorer area with a completely new level design, but it would also be only epic and all new adventure pack.
    - make epic versions of loot of Titan raid and add epic difficulty to it. Also, explorer area should get a epic touch with mob changes and some loot in encounters.

Rework sleep and cloud spells so they're somewhat different and worthwhile to be used AND cripple jumpy casters.
    Seriously, we all know that Mobile spellcasting should be used feat for those jumpy casters. You cannot jump and cast spells at the same time unless you have Mobile spellcasting feat.

Remove dungeon alert. Make mobs effective against adventurers. Even sleeping kobolds in Stealthy repossesion MUST have a FAIR chance on every difficulty to stop a gang of nitwits trying to steal Eye of Khyber.

I'd fix most of the known issues just to get game mechanics right. But, that's impossible.

---

I can dream... Can I not?

I understand. But, please FIX BUGS. Make items from old content effective. Remove random stats generation from Eveningstar challenge loot. Are these not worth?

Why would anyone buy a house in DDO? Give me a break. The dumbest concept ever. It's not Skyrim in terms of open end exploration. DDO project is poor. Are you going to make a shack in Eveningstar for male, female and warforged and sell keys in DDO store? And in that shack there won't even be a place to dump bad oil? :P

New class? Why?! Fix bugs first and dedicate two months to fixing bugs.

fix the forums, not sure if they realize how often people who are used to mmos check out the forum before they check out the game. why learn what type of game it is by downloading and trying low lvl stuff most mmos are dead boring at low lvl. new potential players if they are like me first read the forums then check out the ddo store and then they know if the game is worth downloading and trying even thats a late step for me these days.

1fix the damn forums then make it so the ddo store looks good to new players.

The game needs more rp elements so housing would be great....also we don't need any more caster classes we have enough easy buttons. Sword sage(tome of battle make it work like a weaponized monk in terms of how to build up for special moves), swashbuckler(complete warrior, finesse based warrior with all the dex stuff lately), ninja(complete adventurer. Rogue-monk type with specializations for stealth instead of silly ninja spy prc for monks.) or samurai(dual wielding possible lawful neutral paladinish warrior) please.

Also, kobolds are not a good choice for a new race. We need a +wisdom race or something with +dex that isn't an elf (can't believe I'm saying that. But I would play a tiefling instead of an elf.)

Default Bridge the gap...

I would take steps to bridge the gaps between the casual players who play once or twice a weekend and those who spend multiple hours a day playing.

Raids were previously mentioned as having low use, which is unfortunate -- I would guess that raids aren't run as often because they require teamwork and teamwork requires training, or at least instruction. Old players (in general) seem more interested in not losing 10% exp bonus due to deaths than training new players which is a big problem for the game.

You could start by examining the current raids... for example:
    • CitW is essentially Party to A, then shuffle to B, etc. it is confusing (layout to new people), has bugs (hitting Lolth? lol.), and has a mechanism that can allow the end to go very poorly if you can't get your party to work as a team.
    • FoT is basically everyone doing a specific part, problematic if you're new to your task and your task is something other than beating on a mob.

We shouldn't eliminate teamwork in raids or make them soloable, but I do think content developers need to think about the amount and types of teamwork required and how to manipulate that teamwork requirement so that the knowledge gap doesn't cause discrimination (or private/guild groups only).

One thing that might help is to design raids that can be completed in full with three or four (random, non-uber ppl), where a small number of people need to go to X to do this to Y to do that, and so on. Provided that the layout isn't terribly maze like filling the party with pugs should lead to a faster completion. Also, making a raid that 3-4 non-uber players can complete gives them the option of learning it on their own if no one else is willing to teach.

Another step would be to implement a method of upgrading tiered loot, because honestly, tiered loot helped facilitate that gap between the casual player and the uber player. Tiered loot should have never been implemented without a method to upgrade lower tier loot to higher tiers, unless you really wanted to reinforce the gap between skill levels.

You could also replace the flawless victory xp bonus with a 20% xp bonus for a full party...

TL;DR take steps to make the uber players more willing to pug.
    Last edited by esheep; 08-15-2013 at 08:50 AM. Reason: added title.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vargouille View Post
    it will go on and on and on to level 999

Exempting the raids in heroic content from the Bravery bonus mechanic might encourage those who are newish to the game to give them a go - and those who are oldish to the game to run them for fun (Yes I know that those on first lifes don't need to run elite, but eh, I think it still puts ppl off joining a normal chronoscope at low lvls etc).

- Housing : Any such mech (and this includes guild ships) should focus *significantly* more on convenience advantages and almost not at all on buffs. Such items should never create a game play advantage. However, providing single, easy to access locations for broker, vendor, bank, mail, etc access should be the focus.

- Raids : not my cup of tea, but certain things about raids should be more standardized so that :
    - Flagging for raids does not need to repeat
    - Access to raids can be done solo/small group, then direct access thereafter (think teleporter flagging mech)
    - Raids should not cap a quest-line/sage, but, instead, be adjacent to them.

- New classes : Yay! Great! But we need races before classes. We are 7 years in and still haven't completed the core races (Gnomes) much less a number of fairly standard others, as well as Eberron specific races.

However, if I were directing production I would have a couple of relatively low hanging fruit items I would start with:

- Quick access bug report tool for standard recurring bugs. Think those whack-a-mole issues like ladders and sliding mobs. Make them keyboard map-able so all a player needs to do is (for example) select a mob and Alt-R to report a slider.
    - Character maintenance improvements to:
    - allow us to manipulate bank/inventory/mail between characters from a central interface.
    - Allow us to see which characters have mail from the selection screen.
    - Revisit old content to try to improve the consistency of which monsters show up at which levels.
    - Epic content overhaul - Personally I *despise* the mechanism that uses the same content for heroic and epic difficulties unless their is a story-line reason why the same content has two separate difficulties. While I recognize that there has been a reason (speed at which content can be created at quality) to do this, the goal should be for this to never happen and to attempt to phase out areas where it has happened. Or, at the very least, when it does happen make changes to the quest content instead of using the same enemies with inflated stats.
    - normal/hard/elite difficulty overhaul - Similar to my issues with Epic, simply inflating the stats of enemies to up the difficulty of a feels cheap. There have been some places that have done an excellent job of doing only minor stat increases while also adding to the number of enemies and/or improving the enemies aresnal and not just their HP. More of that...
    - Lastly, new content design. DDO has gotten into a bit of a rut/groove with new content design. Every update has 3-5 quests of medium length bundled into a storyline. Taken individually there is a LOT of great quests that have come out since MOTU. However I feel that development is getting to feel a bit repetitive. I would approach this by spending some time developing some stand alone quests and intentionally designing some quests of longer lengths. Not a lot of longer ones, but enough to just mix things up a bit.
    Bogenbroom's DDO Wishlist.......Tolero's guide to actionable feedback
    Bogenbroom's legion... 83 characters, 3 accounts, and 1 irate wife.

Quote Originally Posted by FranOhmsford View Post

3. Sharn - Advance the Eberron storyline with a follow on to the Sharn Syndicate quest line that takes us far from Xendrik.

That would be nice, get so see more of the world than xendrik.

The Mad Multiclasser Failedlegend's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FranOhmsford View Post
    1. The Little People Pack - Kobold and Gnome Playable races, Goblin Mobs - Goblins overwhelm the Stormreach Sewers and the Kobolds have to come out into the light.
    Goldscuttle leads the Defense aided by The FvS and Sorc Trainers in the Harbour and Marketplace {both Kobolds} -
    Have you been talking to Feather_of_Sun? I think he just adopted you.
    I back FoSs preference for Playable races as well...I'd support them even as just "Iconics" if ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY :P (even if I think PDK & Morninglord should have been prestige classes and Shadar-kai/Bladeforged should have been sub-races for human and WF)

I honestly don't know what to ask for here as we do have a decent range of classes here you granted my biggest wish with Artificer granting me both a "techy" class and a "pet" class.

The only thing I can think is maybe a different caster wizards, sorcs,clerics, fvs, paladins, rangers and bards may be different classes but they all cast the same way (not that casting is their only feature not even close) so I'd say something like a Warlock with his more "stance-like" spells or maybe a Psion with "Power points", maybe a Runepriest who inscribe their powers into weapons and other equipment.

Imo it needs to be really customizable with alot of cosmetic stuff (preferably with rotation and free placing capabilities) which can be obtained by DDOstore, rare drops , crafting (well we only have Enchanting right now...adding carpentry would be nice...and maybe Engineer on an unrelated note ) and/or contests/achievements for some bragging rights (ie. The wiiner of the shadar-kai tattoo contest could get a in-game picture frame displaying their tattoo.

I'm not trying to be greedy or anything I'm just being honest unless its the above it will be a waste of development time as the guild ships already serve as a static "housing" the point of housing is to have a place that is your own...the ships are more "Guild Halls"

I don't expect it to be as advanced as say Wildstar since that games being built from the ground up to have housing interconnected with everything else...its harder to integrate new features later especially in a 10 year old game but if its gonna be "like a guild ship but in house form" I'd say don't waste your development money.

Ok that all said what I think would be really cool is if you could choose your houses location...like House Deneith, House Cannith, Eveningstar, w/e...now don' get me wrong I'm not expecting your guys give us room to make a town (as cool as that would be) just add a gate or w/e somewhere leading to "Adventurer Housing" in each area and when you decide to create a house you choose which location yours is and it influences its overall design...allowing for customization of the base structure with less need for new art assets...from there we can decorate the inside to our hearts content with everything we've bought, looted and crafted.

We may be the minority but I primarily play this game with static groups mainly with my buddies I play PnP with and we rarely ever raid be our builds tend to be more about flavour than power and we could care less if we beat a quest by attrition...the barbarian tends to disable traps with his face, etc....not exactly welcome raid behavior so unless the 6 of us can beat the raid were unlikely to do it which unfortunately any packs related specifically to a raid is pointless to us (ie. Vault of Night or Shroud)

I'd love to see raids catered more to normal sized groups because as much as we don't mind being underpowered it sucks not being able to get the good stuff because we don't have enough people in our group and even if we did it would suck because we can't have more than 6 people in our group during normal play.

I'm sure this opinion will be unpopular but I'd like to see Turbine break the mold...make raids on normal difficulty meant for 6 players...hard and elite still reserved for 12 players (or hell hard for 12 players and elite for 40) of course with slightly better loot but not by too much (ie. +4 sword of awesome becomes +5 sword of awesome on elite instead of the 6-man normal) this is a game based off of a system that's meant to be 4-6 players raids are just an annoyance at the moment.

Lets assume that you are a producer for ddo and you are given a directive to design a way to increase revenue for ddo. You can do this any way you want, you are given full liberties, from items, to game mechanics. What would you do?
    Ah yes the OP...the reason I clicked here I should probably answer this LIST-TIME HO!!!!

I would:

Fix the following "bugs"
    - Assassinate doesn't function with ranged weapons
    - Dwarf Throw your weight around is only applying to damage (should be applying for to-hit as well)
    - Druids can't use their various animal form attacks while raging
    - Palemaster Wizards can't access the Skele pet AP menu (should be similar to druid/arty companions)

Laugh at these bugs
    - The Ladder bug...seriously you can jump its really not that big of a deal...we'll fix it eventually but other bugs have way more priority

Add the following (races are all 32pt. enabled of course)
    - Kobolds w/ DDO flavored stats so their not useless(+2Cha/Dex, -2Str/Wis instead of -6str/con, +2dex) also I'd pack their racial tree with a lot of DDO flavoured abilities because kobolds in DDO have far exceeded the lore of PnP
    - Along with that I'd also release gnomes with also non-useless stats (+2Int,Dex,-2Str/Wis)
    - Add Dragon Disciple (w/ a splash of swiftblade) prestige tree to Sorc to give them an option other than glass cannon, some interesting abilities and some love to the gishes...might also add to Bard as well after assuring the community that bards are still getting a "3rd" PrE this ones just a bonus.

...and make the following changes

- Drow are now 32pt. enabled and are given the choice of +2 Cha, Int OR Dex as a racial bonus at creation although players may still choose to be a 28pt. +2 Cha, Dex and Int Drow if they wish...also chosen at creation

-Realize that Neverwinter online is nothing even close to competition and move focus back to the far more interesting world of Eberron

- Races are now arranged similar to classes with categories leading to sub races...this list is subject to change..especially when I think of better names for the categories (extra races added to make a better example)

Human - Human,Aasimar, Tiefling, Shadar-Kai, Genasi
    Elf - Drow, Sun Elf, Elf, Half-Elf
    Dwarf - Hill Dwarf, Shield Dwarf, Duergar
    Small Races - Gnomes, Halflings, Goblins, Kobolds, Pixie, Bullywug
    Constructs - Bladeforged, Warforged, Shardmind
    Anthromorphs - Dragonborn, Hengeyokai, Shifters, Kenku

- Assign 2 devs to specifically work on improving ranged combat in general doing things like making abilities that should function with both melee and ranged do so (ie. Cleave should NOT function with ranged but assassinate should), make haste and other speed enhancing abilities work correctly, add more named rune arms/throwing weapons/etc.

- Add a proper crafting system...I'm sorry guys but currently we have like 50 half completed crafting systems...its a mess and bloody confusing to new players. I'd take "Cannith" crafting and rename it "Enchanting", than add Fletcher (bows, arrows and leather stuff, boots, gloves), Carpenter (primarily for guild ship and housing stuff but has some cool in-quest items...like the rest bench :P, some trinkets), Blacksmith (Metal Weapons and Armor), Alchemy (Potions, Augments,Wands and Scrolls), Magitech (the "real" cannith crafting...runearms, docents, pet collars, goggles, some gloves and belts, weird clickies), Seamstress (cloaks, robes, some gloves and hats, some guildship/housing related stuff, handwraps), Jeweler (rings, crowns, some gloves, trinkets, etc.)

All of the above "Trades" would use only collectables and essences...every single collectable would be used and tooltips would be updated to show which collectables are used by which "Trade" also immediately upon release of this system all bags would be double in size, retroactively...each player gets access to enchanting automatically and may choose one other profession....more professions and blueprints to be added in the future.

Note: Trade trainers show up pretty much anywhere class trainers are present and can be identified by their guild affiliation ie. Savair Helior <Blacksmiths Guild>
    Last edited by Failedlegend; 08-15-2013 at 11:08 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan
    There is little value in getting into an edition debate; as with anything, we create what we believe works best for DDO.

2 to 4 Iconics per year, and/or one class a year, and/or one epic destiny a year would be nice.

Raids are tricky things.
    Quality >> Quantity

Min of one Raid per year would be a good standard.
    Make several poor raids per year and you will hear about it quickly.
    Make poor loot for a lot of raids and you will hear about it quickly.
    Make more ESoS uber type gear and you will regret it later.

Make several raids per year of any type and something interesting will happen with your question of raids vs housing.

Housing that involves more storage space is STRONGLY needed.
    More raids will only increase the bound to character storage problem.
    More completionist paths including Epic TRing and Iconic TRing will only increase the bound to character storage problem.
    Higher level cap will only increase the bound to character storage problem.

In fact, just about anything will increase the space problems.
    Its a shame players have to devout multiple toons just to store stuff that is unbound.
    Hunting down items shifted away to mules is time consuming and boring.

Default Good thing I am not a producer at Turbine....

....because I would make this game *interesting* in a "may you live in interesting times" kind of way.

First thing I would do is add druid spells to mobs in Eberron. Ice Flowers for water elementals, Earthquake for stone giants, Storm of Vengeance for high-level air-based enemies.... oh, and anything that is a "Shaman" would have the druid spell list.

Then I would have the locations of trap boxes partially randomized.

Thirdly, I would have ranged and rogue-ish mobs make use of the sneak. Anyone who gets attacked by a mob they didn't detect before it hits then takes double damage from it's next attack.

Finally, I would make it impossible to defeat any named or red-named mob in less than five seconds at level on elite difficulty. This would be done by having the named/red-named mob automatically buffed with everything that it can be buffed with from the cleric, wizard and druid spell lists. No need to add innate immunities.

Quote Originally Posted by Silverleafeon View Post
    Raids are tricky things.
    Not that tricky. Just don't out-date 90% of your old raids in a one-year span. That's the issue we had with U14-U16.

When adding to your end-game don't make it smaller, if you're not sure how to do that hire somebody who can.

Any changes must have a guaranteed return on investment and must use the existing game as a base, no starting over.
    Market outside the playerbase. Advertise.

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast