Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Please add Named Thieves Tools already please..

Live from Bowser Castle it's Bowserkoopa

I have suggested this in the past and I figure it's about time this came up again on behalf of my minions Shadowkoopa and Mechakoopa.

Why oh why can we not get named thieves tools that don't run out. Something along the lines of "Master Thieves Tools"

Sure casters would like master level X spell components but you know what this thread isn't about them. It's about the trappers and if someone wants to make the master level X spell component thread do it in some other thread.

Bowserkoopa,

Is tired of having to put many many many stacks of +5 thieves tools in the shared bank.

Keeper of Keenbean's Heart

Quote Originally Posted by Vyrtigo View Post
    Live from Bowser Castle it's Bowserkoopa

I have suggested this in the past and I figure it's about time this came up again on behalf of my minions Shadowkoopa and Mechakoopa.

Why oh why can we not get named thieves tools that don't run out. Something along the lines of "Master Thieves Tools"

Sure casters would like master level X spell components but you know what this thread isn't about them. It's about the trappers and if someone wants to make the master level X spell component thread do it in some other thread.

Bowserkoopa,

Is tired of having to put many many many stacks of +5 thieves tools in the shared bank.
    If they made something like returning 100% tools I'd even buy them from the store.

Thing that always bugged me about the tools is I used to have a set of lockpicks to open cars when people locked themselves out. Slimjim and other assorted goodies. Unless you abuse them they don't break, there is no reason a skilled thief would have to replace them every single time.

Default Exactly

Quote Originally Posted by Charononus View Post
    If they made something like returning 100% tools I'd even buy them from the store.

Thing that always bugged me about the tools is I used to have a set of lockpicks to open cars when people locked themselves out. Slimjim and other assorted goodies. Unless you abuse them they don't break, there is no reason a skilled thief would have to replace them every single time.
    This is basically what I was getting at, when you read novels about Rogues etc they don't lug around 200 different sets of tools (they may have several when they start out) they have their set they built/bought/stole that they cherish and use all the time.

Even a change to where you only lose part of the stack if you fail would be a vast improvement. And that could have related enhancements etc too.

So you're lookig for tools that don't wear out and can last the whole quest. Have you tried Graigslist?

Default Strange

Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Troll View Post
    So you're lookig for tools that don't wear out and can last the whole quest. Have you tried Graigslist?
    Not that I'm the greatest at spelling but no I'm not lookig for things on Graigslist.

I'm looking to alter the game so that level 28 characters don't lug around +5 thieves tools that are apparently so fragile they break every time you use them for some odd reason that makes no sense to me.

Bowserkoopa,

Is happy there is not a Mariolist where plumbers gather to steal princess'

So you're complaining that your tools is too fragile?

Jokes aside, a named item that is a +8 or +10 100% reusable thieves tool would be a nice item.

Community Member

Jokes aside, a named item that is a +8 or +10 100% reusable thieves tool would be a nice item.
    I wouldn't care if they were +1 tools, just so long as they were 100% reusable! It sucks getting started working on the hallway of blades and sparks in an eDragon run, only to realize after two boxes that you haven't restocked your tools recently. >.<

Quote Originally Posted by Vyrtigo View Post
    This is basically what I was getting at, when you read novels about Rogues etc they don't lug around 200 different sets of tools (they may have several when they start out) they have their set they built/bought/stole that they cherish and use all the time.

Even a change to where you only lose part of the stack if you fail would be a vast improvement. And that could have related enhancements etc too.
    Thinking about it, the biggest change from a realism perspective would be if the tools only broke on crit fails.

Default Sure why not

So you're complaining that your tools is too fragile?

Apparently yes I'm complaining that my characters in the game that use these tools that I either found in a chest or made at the trapmaking station are indeed too fragile for disabling more than one trap.

Apparently either my character made them poorly or some other rogue who left them in a chest for me to find. It is interesting however you do not lose any tools if you fail to pick a lock.

All joking aside about list and tools and breaking, I would really like to see this added in the game.

Bowserkoopa,

Owner of many poorly designed and/or durable tools

Default Agreed

Quote Originally Posted by Charononus View Post
    Thinking about it, the biggest change from a realism perspective would be if the tools only broke on crit fails.
    Although I suppose you'd have to go into broken beyond repair or simply damaged etc as well.

Bowserkoopa,

Doesn't want broken or damaged tools....for thieving

Community Member

How about they stay as-is, and you can disable traps/open locks without the tools, just without the inherent +1-7 bonus from using tools? So they're a consumable bonus, rather than a consumable component.

Barring that, just let 'em stack to 1000 like spell components...its not the cost that bothers me, its the time spent restocking (or running out because you didnt restock and dont want to devote multiple bag spots for tools at 50 a pop).

As for named tools...I doubt they'd give us 100% "returning" tools, anymoreso than we dont have 100% returning arrows/bolts that you can buy or grind for, and I doubt anyone would grind for a named toolset that would eventually run out.

Alternatively, how about this...an exclusive named trinket with a special clicky ability:

Conjure Tools
    Creates a stack of 50 BtA +5 Thief's Tools that provide an additional +5 bonus to either Disable Device or Open Lock.
    Cooldown: 24h

So, basically 1/day, you can conjure a stack of tools, which should really be all you need unless you're going crazy with them. Like the Quiver that conjures Xoriat arrows, except for thief's tools.
    Last edited by droid327; 08-14-2013 at 02:33 PM.

Default I vote no on proposition this

Quote Originally Posted by droid327 View Post
    How about they stay as-is, and you can disable traps/open locks without the tools, just without the inherent +1-7 bonus from using tools? So they're a consumable bonus, rather than a consumable component.

Barring that, just let 'em stack to 1000 like spell components...its not the cost that bothers me, its the time spent restocking (or running out because you didnt restock and dont want to devote multiple bag spots for tools at 50 a pop).

As for named tools...I doubt they'd give us 100% "returning" tools, anymoreso than we dont have 100% returning arrows/bolts that you can buy or grind for, and I doubt anyone would grind for a named toolset that would eventually run out.

Alternatively, how about this...an exclusive named trinket with a special clicky ability:

Conjure Tools
    Creates a stack of 50 BtA +5 Thief's Tools that provide an additional +5 bonus to either Disable Device or Open Lock.
    Cooldown: 24h

So, basically 1/day, you can conjure a stack of tools, which should really be all you need unless you're going crazy with them. Like the Quiver that conjures Xoriat arrows, except for thief's tools.
    I think the one part of this I would go for is to be able to attempt the disable with no bonus via the tools but the rest of it just doesn't make sense to me.

I simply don't get what puts a count on how many times I can use a set of tools to disable a trap. Does it work this way in PnP? (Yes I realize DDO is far from PnP)

If the developers gave some reasoning such as. There are parts of the "tools" that must be consumed in order to disable the trap or open the lock I could go with that. But I think that you should only consume tools on a failure or a critical failure. Or at the least put in some enhancement for rogues and artificers where you have a chance to retain the tools.

As for the existence of the named item. I'm to believe that nowhere in Eberron or the Forgotten Realms a master thief lived who maybe died in a raid/quest. Or that wanted to pass on his/her tools that were the stuff of legend that he/she crafted to another of the trade? I just find it unlikely that the best any rogue or artificer achieved in all soon to be 28 levels of our existence is +5 thieves tools we've been looting since the cap was 10 and that any rogue or artificer of at least level 1 can use is the crowning achievement of Thieves tools.

Bowserkoopa,
    Thieves are more innovative than +5 thieves tools after reaching level 28

Here is my thought

Make it an item with durability - Use/Abuse can cause damage including permanent damage

Allow Trapping/Locks to be done without tools but at a -2 Skill Check

Lots of good suggestions in this thread. Perhaps the perma-tool could be a favor reward for House P (spies sneaking in need to open lots of door and disable lots of traps) or House C (all the techie artificer stuff).
    UDR Loot Rules:
    1) No griefing people for pulling loot that dropped in their name
    2) When rolling, classes for which the item is "useful" get +10 to the roll
    example: Wiz and Barb both roll on a Torc, the barb saying "I'm TRing into an arcane next week"
    Wiz gets +10 on his roll

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Enoach View Post
    Here is my thought

Make it an item with durability - Use/Abuse can cause damage including permanent damage

Allow Trapping/Locks to be done without tools but at a -2 Skill Check
    And exactly which part of your anatomy do you intend to stick into the lock/trap?
    http://myaccount.turbine.com

Je ne suis pas
    DDO Alpha Tester

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by ssgcmwatson View Post
    Lots of good suggestions in this thread. Perhaps the perma-tool could be a favor reward for House P (spies sneaking in need to open lots of door and disable lots of traps) or House C (all the techie artificer stuff).
    Or Spies in the House.

Je ne suis pas
    DDO Alpha Tester

Community Member

hmm. I am usually not a nay-sayer, but really?

I always keep 2x 50 sets on me. I have have not had to buy new ones, I dunno, since a couple months after I started playing over 3 years ago and learned about +7 tools. I always loot new ones and when I sell/repair, I just sell any set under 50.

In recent memory, the only time I almost ran out, was when I was farming ED at the farmhouse and was on trap duty for the extra 2-3k xp per run.
    ~~ Adrunil - Rogue. Halfling, big guy you can't miss him. ~~
    ~~ Adrunel - Monkcher. (Moncher?) ~~
    Robodoc - FvS Evoker-Healer. Post 19: Ended up LRing into 13/7 forc
    Orien server.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by SSFWEl View Post
    hmm. I am usually not a nay-sayer, but really?

I always keep 2x 50 sets on me. I have have not had to buy new ones, I dunno, since a couple months after I started playing over 3 years ago and learned about +7 tools. I always loot new ones and when I sell/repair, I just sell any set under 50.

In recent memory, the only time I almost ran out, was when I was farming ED at the farmhouse and was on trap duty for the extra 2-3k xp per run.
    Can we at least get higher stacks?

Je ne suis pas
    DDO Alpha Tester

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tscheuss View Post
    And exactly which part of your anatomy do you intend to stick into the lock/trap?
    Usually fingernail if I'm restricted to my own anatomy - that is, there isn't anything else like a knife or twig or ... loose splinter of bone... (hm, enemies never leave usable corpses in this game, that could be a problem... but I _have_ improvised stuff with random bone bits in real life.)

Really, improvised tools should be possible even if at a penalty.

Oh, and I keep wanting to do Nethack-like things in these games anyway.

... bone bits... there's still half a pot of moose soup in the fridge and now I'm hungry...
    No longer completely f2p as of November 2014. Father of 3 more DDO players so far (I do have more children than that).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast