Default Enhancement Pass Awareness

Last night i made a point of asking people who i routinely play with what they thought of the new enhancement pass that was coming in a week or so. I discovered that general awareness of this event is quite low among average players.

I would group players into 3 categories.

1. People who are pretty well informed. A tiny minority. Probably akin to the percentage of people who regularly read and/or post in the forums.

2. People who know something is happening, but they are not sure really what it is, or when it's happening. This is a sizable group of people. Probably the majority. Most of them are stunned when i tell them of the scope of the changes, and that they will have to redo all their enhancements from start when this happens.

3. People who have no idea anything is happening at all. I'm pretty surprised at just how large this group is. A very large minority at the least. I'm not talking about new people here either, nor people who only play an hour a week. I'm talking about people who have been playing for at least a year, and log in most every day. They just don't read the forums.

There really needs to be something done to raise awareness that this is happening, and yes, in your lifetime.

I suggest that all forumites who care begin asking people that they play with if they are aware of the changes. Not doom ranting, or cursing or anything like that. Just make sure they know something is happening, and that they should probably investigate.

Also, Turbine probably needs to do something to get this message out to people. People who don't read the forums, or check any online sites where this might be currently found. The best thing, in my opinion would be some sort of in game mail. Something titled in BIG RED LETTERS, that doesn't look like other mail. It should give the basic idea and scope of what is happening, and ideally links or ways to find more information about this.

Putting notes on the launcher won't work. Many people do not ever look at this. I know this by the number of times i am playing right before a scheduled downtime, which is clearly posted on the launcher. Yet, when i mention it's about to happen, people inevitably say What? When? Now?!.

Just my 2cp on the subject

you mean like when the cap will be raised to 30 in 2014 and theres no plans of anything after that? muahahaha

I have been offering to help newer and less technical players with their toons when the enhancement pass comes out. I've come across a couple dozen folks over the last couple weeks that either had no clue what was going on, or knew something was happening but really didn't understand what they were going to need to do.

It would help to have some in game help for the first couple weeks, like some active GM participation. At least some sort of info page at log on.

Community Member

1. Reflects the number of people that actually come to the forum and are interrested enought to read everything and plan builds ahead of the time.

2. Reflects the number of people that actually come to the forum but mostly for their entertainment. Forum bashers / lurkers. Also the ones that heard from it in-game from other to have an idea of what's going on.

3. The rest. Not everyone likes to read about a game since it cuts time from actually playing and enjoying it.

Seems to make sense to me.
    Last edited by Azarddoze; 08-14-2013 at 05:14 PM.
    Kal Vas Flam... Corp Por... Corp Por

...And then there was silence

Quote Originally Posted by Azarddoze View Post
    [...]3. The rest. [...]
    Hey now. I am most certainly in the first category, thank you very much!

Quote Originally Posted by Azarddoze View Post
    1. Reflects the number of people that actually come to the forum and are interrested enought to read everything and plan builds ahead of the time.

2. Reflects the number of people that actually come to the forum but mostly for their entertainment. Forum bashers / lurkers. Also the ones that heard from it in-game from other to have an idea of what's going on.

3. The rest. Not everyone likes to read about a game since it cuts time from actually playing and enjoying it.

Seems to make sense to me.
    I wasn't trying to make any sort of social commentary, just pointing out that a lot of people are relatively unaware of what is about to happen.

PS about group 2. I think a lot of people in this group heard about this in game. Many people know about the wiki, but there are many, many people who literally never visit the forums.
    Last edited by FestusHood; 08-14-2013 at 05:23 PM.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by FestusHood View Post
    I wasn't trying to make any sort of social commentary, just pointing out that a lot of people are relatively unaware of what is about to happen.
    Me neither... I guess/think. I just like to find reasons that leads different person to behave the way they do... kinda part of my education. That's how boring (and bored atm) I am.

I'll step aside. Let's say it was just to attract "rest" in here if that makes things better.
    Kal Vas Flam... Corp Por... Corp Por

...And then there was silence

Community Member

If you are not one of the small segment of players that likes to carefully plan out your characters then you probably don't need to know an enhancement pass is coming up. If you want the pass to come it just makes you wait for it (which is annoying). If you don't want the pass to come then you are dreading its arrival (which is annoying). If you are indifferent about the changes then all you know is you have to redo your enhancements (which is annoying). Basically, there is almost no one (except the careful planners of builds) that benefit from knowing that this is coming ahead of time and those types of players probably hang out on the forums and know it is coming. For most people their best bet is to read the patch notes while they are downloading the patch and not even be aware that anything is changing until then.
    Everyone who is not in the true definition of "hardcore" is looked down on as a "casual", unwilling or incapable of understanding the true brilliance of having twelve-year-olds insult you while they are teabagging your virtual corpse. - Christian Ward columnist for The Escapist