Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Waaye View Post
    And you do know that the DDO community is well known to be the worst of all the MMO communities, bar none, right?
    This is one of the very few games I don't just turn off chat in. So no I don't know that and completely disagree with that.

2015 DDO Players Council
    Ravenguard Press

Back to the original point the OP made about new player friendly vets and guilds. There are a few out there that are trying very hard to bridge the gap between newer folks and the vets. The problem mentioned exists, but there doesn’t seem to be ONE reason for it.

Vets have a play style they like; one they’ve become accustom to, and don’t like or really appreciate any forced deviation…. Can you blame them? Well… no, because it’s what they enjoy, and no one should force anyone to change the way they play for the sake of others. People get a bit resistant when they are told they need to change because someone else thinks they need to be another way….

With that said, there are those who take it upon themselves to do whatever they can to foster a positive relationship with newer folks to make them feel welcome, and try to help them get acclimated to the game. Is it everyone’s responsibility to do this? There’s no forced moral obligation that anyone should be held to; it’s an individual’s choice to help and be friendly or not.

What is a passive way vets can help newer folks, and not compromise their own game enjoyment? One answer is for them to suggest a newer player friendly guild that will help guide and direct them to learn the ins and outs of the game, and help them to become a better player. If one doesn’t want to help a newer person, the least they can do is direct them to someone who is willing to help.

To the other point that Impaqt make – it is the middle of summer, people have vacations to go on, family functions, nice weather, etc, etc, etc. Also during this time, there was a closed, and now open beta for the new expansion coming out, as well as crystal cove; the perfect storm for low server activity.

Why are new people not sticking with DDO? I haven’t seen any numbers to support your theory, so I’ll take this part of your post as antagonistic and thus irrelevant.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    MuleAxe (Triple Completionist) | MuleSticker | MuleRaptor | MuleFort | MuleParts

Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Troll View Post
    But there are more than enough of us jerks to band together and form a union, we even offer dental.
    Can I join? I make a helluva good elitist soulstone!

Community Member

Among the 10 latest threads on this forum there are two by guilds that explicitly say they cater for newer players and if you look at the last few pages, you'll find a few others.

These complaints about new players not staying have been going on since DDO started 8 years ago and somehow the game is still happily ticking along.
    (To be fair, I worried about newbies myself some 4 or 5 years go, but that was under different circumstances, on DDO Europe which had very little marketing to attract any new people at all in the first place.)

To claim that DDO has the worst community of all MMOs is of course absolutely ridiculous.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kmnh View Post
    I have a policy of not drinking anything that gets blocked by the wordfilter.
    T: Micron, Eversmile, Vs, Kreea, Reckluse | G: Wychcraft, Chuckling

Community Member

Answer to the question first. You do know I have been playing D&D for 35 years, right? And computer adventure games from before microcomputers ever existed, right? And you do know that the DDO community is well known to be the worst of all the MMO communities, bar none, right?
    Hi Welcome to the game. Nothing stops you from starting a guild that is to your liking. Also nothing stops you from starting your own groups that are "non zerging".

As for the community, its "well known to be the worst" where? That seems like a joke to me, community has kept me here even in periods like this one where I'm taking a bit of a game break.

Community Member

The biggest reasons why new players dont stay is
    The f2p model of this game and not the community.

Anyone whos not vip and had to work hard for there
    Adventure packs knows this. Ot takes a special person
    To not pour money into this game and do it the hard way.

This is what usually happens

F2p player enters game

Whoo nice game i like that i can customize my toon

Runs korthos weee

Waterworks harbor whoohoo this game is awesome

Partymember lets run catacombs lets run stk lets run deleras
    Lets run von

F2p player : dont have those

F2p player realises that free quest gets less and less as he lvle up at around
    Level 10 he realises its near impossible to do it without adv packs and by this
    Time he spend his tp for +2 weapons and cosmetics

Less motivated

*gone*

And this is how 90% of the free players leave this game. When you play for 3 or more years or are a vip
    You forget how limited this game is if you dont invest or invest in the right stuf.

2015 DDO Players Council
    Ravenguard Press

Quote Originally Posted by bartosy View Post
    The biggest reasons why new players dont stay is
    The f2p model of this game and not the community.

Anyone whos not vip and had to work hard for there
    Adventure packs knows this. Ot takes a special person
    To not pour money into this game and do it the hard way.

This is what usually happens

F2p player enters game

Whoo nice game i like that i can customize my toon

Runs korthos weee

Waterworks harbor whoohoo this game is awesome

Partymember lets run catacombs lets run stk lets run deleras
    Lets run von

F2p player : dont have those

F2p player realises that free quest gets less and less as he lvle up at around
    Level 10 he realises its near impossible to do it without adv packs and by this
    Time he spend his tp for +2 weapons and cosmetics

Less motivated

*gone*

And this is how 90% of the free players leave this game. When you play for 3 or more years or are a vip
    You forget how limited this game is if you dont invest or invest in the right stuf.

There has to be some sort of incentive for newer folks to stick around. Being a VIP from the start, I’m not exactly sure how someone would be able to amass all the packs without spending any cash on it; other than favor grinding every server for the TP. Is there anything out there the Turbine uses to incentivize new folks to stay other than periodical pack sales?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    MuleAxe (Triple Completionist) | MuleSticker | MuleRaptor | MuleFort | MuleParts

And you do know that the DDO community is well known to be the worst of all the MMO communities, bar none, right?
    From where did you get that?
    This is the best community in any online game I ever played.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12