Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by unbongwah View Post
    I suspect the biggest limiting factor will be AP costs. According to the wiki (which may be outdated), you need to spend at least 20 APs to access T4 abilities; 40 if you want T5 abilities.
    Good point. Not many people offering build ideas with the new enhancements so it remains to be seen. It could be a case of an over abundance of goodies.

12 ranger 4 rogue and 4 paladin sounds nice. However although I chose to go paladin i'm not sure what it brings to the table other then some cool skills like smite, that healing spell etc. Is it because it gives martial proficiencies and heavy armor prof?

I see the reasoning with ranger 12 for the tempest II (and since ranger capstone is for archers), and rogue 4 because rogue has goodies but I still don't understand what paladin brings that makes it a better choice then lets say...a fighter splash.

Quote Originally Posted by Tenebris-Niatellim View Post
    Is it because it gives martial proficiencies and heavy armor prof?
    Paladin is just because that is a class we've been talking about. It could easily be fighter which has the advantage of giving you access to 3 more feats at fighter levels 1, 2 and 4.

Ranger already gives you martial weapons so neither paladin nor fighter are needed for that. Heavy armor is actually not a good idea most of the time since evasion only works in light or no armor (and is a key part of most ranger builds).

The primary reason for 4 level splashing is to open up higher tiers in enhancement trees. But, in the case of paladin it is also because divine might requires the ability to turn undead -- something that comes to paladins at L4.

BTW, I change my stance on casting classes as long as its not wizards...because they feel so slow paced, its like 1 spell and do dmg jump around cast another aoe spell or cc and jump around. I also gave up on sorcerers after I watched a boring video where the guy just spammed ice storm and sat there blocking. But because of the enhancement pass and all that I looked around a bit and watched a few videos of sorcerer savants...I must say they impressed me. I liked the fast casting compared to the annoyingly slow casts wizards have, and they seemed quite powerful. I especially liked the Air Savant.

So I guess i'm open to sorcerer ideas as well :P DDO has so much that I haven't explored that it's amazing. This game probably is going to occupy me for years to come as long as they don't do something really bad (like screw over F2P players utterly).

Are drows good for sorcerors? I'm thinking of making this my solo play character (as in I get on when my friends aren't on, not that I wont party with others) Also i'm fine with other races.

Don't let videos mislead you. If you do not have a way to regenerate spell points and if you cannot rely on your spell like abilities (SLA) then you rapidly deplete spell points and are just a death waiting to happen.

Sorcerers do have the advantage over wizards of faster casting and more spell points. And, if you manage to find or craft a spell regeneration item they can be extremely powerful. But, in a duo with your rogue friend some sort of meat shield is probably better.

One alternative is favored soul. Well, it is an alternative if you have it unlocked or buy it from Turbine.

Favored souls can have a good selection of offensive and defensive spells but they also can be formidable melee characters. Clerics can do the same thing, in some ways better and in other ways worse. Neither is particularly optimal on a drow but they can be built.

Community Member TheNameIwasntB4's Avatar

Default My drow choices are

As a DROW you can put your charisma to 20. So, I would think of any character that uses charisma as it's main stat.

My pure drow

Strength = 10
    Dexterity = 10
    Constitution = 14
    Intelligence = 10
    Wisdom = 8
    Charisma = 20

PURE BARD haggle bard here I come

PURE Favored Soul - must either earn 2500 favor or buy this. Lots of spell points and blade barrier and self healing

PURE Sorceror lots of spell points, squishy. Mostly a run away and range character. Do not be brave

Sorceror/2nd Paladin Great saves. Throws around lots of damage. But a Warforged would be better at this. You want to maximize charisma for spell points.

Put your charisma to 14 or so.

Strength = 14
    Dexterity = 12
    Constitution = 16
    Intelligence = 10
    Wisdom = 8
    Charisma = 14

PURE Paladin great saves, fair DPS, self healing. All Charisma does for you is give you extra self heals. You can accomplish this with tomes and +6 Charisma items.

Here is where you need to mess around with stats. With a rogue you want a better intelligence and a better dexterity.

Bard/2nd Rogue a sort of jack of all trades character

These characters below are all over the place with build points

Sorceror/2nd Paladin/2nd Rogue Again, you have to spread your build points all over, but you get great saves, evasion, blow stuff up.

Wizard/Rogue Here you can focus on intelligence, dexterity, and constitution, not charisma. With the spell resistance it is better than an elf. But why?
    April 2013 - Manager Meeting - New Forums, WOW!! We just had over 90% new players join!!

I've had the chance to look more closely at the ranger/rogue/paladin suggestion. I don't think it is right for you because your friend is already planning on playing a rogue. That means having rogue levels doesn't really do anything valuable for you.

Instead I think that ranger/paladin is a better choice or even a pure ranger or pure paladin. I still prefer ranger over paladin because of the free access to the two-weapon fighting line and the abundance of free ranged feats. And, I think that pure ranger might be a better choice than a ranger/paladin because of the prestige enhancements.

Quote Originally Posted by Therigar View Post
    Don't let videos mislead you. If you do not have a way to regenerate spell points and if you cannot rely on your spell like abilities (SLA) then you rapidly deplete spell points and are just a death waiting to happen.

Sorcerers do have the advantage over wizards of faster casting and more spell points. And, if you manage to find or craft a spell regeneration item they can be extremely powerful. But, in a duo with your rogue friend some sort of meat shield is probably better.

One alternative is favored soul. Well, it is an alternative if you have it unlocked or buy it from Turbine.

Favored souls can have a good selection of offensive and defensive spells but they also can be formidable melee characters. Clerics can do the same thing, in some ways better and in other ways worse. Neither is particularly optimal on a drow but they can be built.
    Yeah the SP drops like rocks if I use metamagic. But sorcerers are definitely my cup of tea. I recently leveled my sorcerer to 4 while waiting for my friends to play. And DAM although they're squishy as hell they can hit hard...I've been one shotting every mob and boss even on elite (save for when they save from my niacs like 6 times in a row). Empower + Maximize + (starter robe gives +1 caster level o.o) makes me hit 160~ per ray (although it costs 54 sp?), and 60~70 normaly for a 4 sp ray. I don't see myself running out of sp if I don't use metamagic, but it probably will change at higher levels when monsters can actually tank damage.

But yes I like sorcerers, they cast quickly, don't have a plethora of spells but I like how manageable it is, and they are dumb as rocks (8 int cought cough)...forget the last part. But yeah back to the drow topic XD.

Quote Originally Posted by Therigar View Post
    I've had the chance to look more closely at the ranger/rogue/paladin suggestion. I don't think it is right for you because your friend is already planning on playing a rogue. That means having rogue levels doesn't really do anything valuable for you.

Instead I think that ranger/paladin is a better choice or even a pure ranger or pure paladin. I still prefer ranger over paladin because of the free access to the two-weapon fighting line and the abundance of free ranged feats. And, I think that pure ranger might be a better choice than a ranger/paladin because of the prestige enhancements.
    Hm the only reason I doubt going ranger a bit is because I have my AA, I guess I can just consider going tempest an entirely different thing altogether.

What exactly does a pure ranger offer? Isint the ranger capstone for archers only?

(Also I liked rogues because they had the rogue haste enhancement ATTACK SPEED !!!!, but do other classes, such as ranger, have that as well?)

Sooo...what to do now that U19 Is out? Wait for builds to come out? How do you access Lammina server anyway?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12