Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 77
  1. #1
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    364

    Default Dev question: Is Masterful Craftsmanship on Tier Three Challenge Gear WAI?

    The reason I ask is that I copied a character over to Lamm to test the latest iteration of the Enhancements (Still hate it, but that's a different topic) and discovered that my Monk's Tier Three Level 16 Challenge Gear which on Live was ML 14 due to Masterful Craftsmanship was now ML 16, even with Masterful Craftsmanship on it.

    Is this a bug that may get fixed in a few years, or is it WAI?

    I can tell you now that if it is WAI then I am less than amused because the only reason I made it Tier Three in the first place was because of Masterful Craftsmanship. Otherwise I would have left it at Tier Two and passed it to another character when it was out-levelled.
    Last edited by Archangel_666; 08-13-2013 at 09:07 AM.

  2. #2

    Default

    It was pointed out to me that it's possible that maybe if you re-apply MC it'll drop back down. I'm skeptical, but I never got around to trying it so I can't say either way.

  3. #3
    Community Member Deathdefy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Waiting in the lava pits to chain trip you on the way to Prison of the Planes
    Posts
    1,507

    Default

    I did try re-applying and it didn't drop below 16.

    Totally agree with OP that the only point of taking the gear to tier 3 is to drop its ML.
    Khyber: Aggrim (Completionist!)
    All of my builds are grossly out of date. Just roll a human or drow mechanic / assassin rogue thing.
    Blind insta-kills floating eye balls.

  4. #4
    The Hatchery
    2014 DDO Players Council
    Dandonk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    5,278

    Default

    Meh. That is an annoying change, for sure
    It's definitely an N-word.

  5. #5
    Community Member -Zephyr-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    1,263

    Default

    I always thought that it wasn't WAI.
    Thing is, with the expansion, all items now calculate their own ML dynamically, even random items (which also means the items with Festival Frost and other such buffs are getting a ML bump). I wouldn't be surprised if it means your named item stays the same ML even if you apply Masterful Craftsmanship on it, because then it re-calculates its ML... And since the ML of a named item isn't supposed to change, it takes the "normal" ML 16.
    Owy Evoker FvS / Praledric Completionist Qstaff Rogue/Monk/Druid / Laraeph DC Wizard / Laraelph AA Monk/Ranger/Pally / Gaenry Shiradi Sorc/FvS/Wiz / Reasis SWF Pally & numerous others
    The Leveller for DDO!

  6. #6
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    2,012

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Archangel_666 View Post
    The reason I ask is that I copied a character over to Lamm to test the latest iteration of the Enhancements (Still hate it, but that's a different topic) and discovered that my Monk's Tier Three Level 16 Challenge Gear which on Live was ML 14 due to Masterful Craftsmanship was now ML 16, even with Masterful Craftsmanship on it.

    Is this a bug that may get fixed in a few years, or is it WAI?

    I can tell you now that if it is WAI then I am less than amused because the only reason I made it Tier Three in the first place was because of Masterful Craftsmanship. Otherwise I would have left it at Tier Two and passed it to another character when it was out-levelled.
    Hmmmm, sure glad this came to light before I spent this week doing challenges to upgrade a few more items.

    Not sure how many more times they can destroy the challenge pack, and still expect it to sell - especially after that massive exp drop.

    Devs: while answering the original question, would you mind telling us just why you hate the challenges so much? And about that massive exp drop.... weren't you guys going to fix that?

    Still can't in good conscience ever recommend ANYONE ever buy challenges after that; Turbine is losing money, everyone knows it but you guys

    The idea behind commerce is for you to create a product I want to buy, remember... Right now you've created a product that anyone can play once a day for free, that has garbage experience, and you now seem to be breaking the items in fun and wonderful ways! There is absolutely no reason for any person to ever buy challenges, ever.

    Which is a shame; I used to like it when I only have 30 minutes to play but I could join a challenge and know it'd be done by that time. Those days are long past, I guess.. now it's just the days of 'either stare at empty lfm list, or create lfms that won't fill during certain parts of the day and just solo everything'.

    Sigh. Nice game we had here once.

    Editted to add: And on last run of lam, all the items had the WRONG EFFECTS on them. Please ensure that you FIX these items before going live next week.

  7. #7
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    1,316

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by eris2323 View Post
    Editted to add: And on last run of lam, all the items had the WRONG EFFECTS on them. Please ensure that you FIX these items before going live next week.
    What kind of wrong effects? There is still a window in which I use my Frozen Tunic. Has that item been changed?

  8. #8
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    2,012

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Katie_Seaglen View Post
    What kind of wrong effects? There is still a window in which I use my Frozen Tunic. Has that item been changed?
    I only had a couple of the items on my characters, but for instance, the fire cloak had fire spellpower, and yet cold critical improvements... those kind of things, they mixed up the elements when they re-did their crits in light of their new 'oh we changed our minds, more crits is good' idea.

  9. #9
    Community Member Deathdefy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Waiting in the lava pits to chain trip you on the way to Prison of the Planes
    Posts
    1,507

    Default

    Frozen Tunic now has +Lightning Lore (instead of Frost Lore)

    Cloak of Flames has +Cold Lore (instead of Fire Lore)

    etc etc; assumedly Rock Boots and Bracers of Wind also point to one of the other 4 items with their crit chance.

    All of the rest of the effects save for "+to element spell crit chance" are/were as they appear on live (though glaciation's wording on the Frozen Tunic, and combustion's wording on the Cloak of Flames are changed to something that says the same thing in different words, but they still provide the same spell power for the correct element).

    EDIT: Yarg, what Eris said!
    Khyber: Aggrim (Completionist!)
    All of my builds are grossly out of date. Just roll a human or drow mechanic / assassin rogue thing.
    Blind insta-kills floating eye balls.

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by -Zephyr- View Post
    I always thought that it wasn't WAI.
    Thing is, with the expansion, all items now calculate their own ML dynamically, even random items (which also means the items with Festival Frost and other such buffs are getting a ML bump). I wouldn't be surprised if it means your named item stays the same ML even if you apply Masterful Craftsmanship on it, because then it re-calculates its ML... And since the ML of a named item isn't supposed to change, it takes the "normal" ML 16.
    I'd bet money this is NOT the case because that would be a massive buff to challenge gear, and no way do devs want to make challenges good again. (ie: You'd be able to craft +3 worth of stuff on them without an ML increase.) Pretty sure they just added an AML to them.

  11. #11
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    364

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EllisDee37 View Post
    (ie: You'd be able to craft +3 worth of stuff on them without an ML increase.)
    I wouldn't worry about that Ellis, there's actually nothing worth crafting at +3. The only thing that was half-way worth considering was 1% Dodge and they've changed Dodge to be non-stacking so that's pointless now too.

  12. #12
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    977

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by -Zephyr- View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised if it means your named item stays the same ML even if you apply Masterful Craftsmanship on it, because then it re-calculates its ML... And since the ML of a named item isn't supposed to change, it takes the "normal" ML 16.
    That is a reasonable explanation for why it's happening, but if that is true then this will also affect a large number of rune arms as well. Anyone check their rune arms?

  13. #13
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    1,316

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Deathdefy View Post
    Frozen Tunic now has +Lightning Lore (instead of Frost Lore)

    Cloak of Flames has +Cold Lore (instead of Fire Lore)

    etc etc; assumedly Rock Boots and Bracers of Wind also point to one of the other 4 items with their crit chance.
    Wow. I mean, it seems like you would have to go out of your way to actually mess up that bad.

  14. #14
    Community Member Systern's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    913

    Default

    I've read in the past the Devs saying that Crafting on named items were challenging and do not expect to get more of it. Just like the new rune arms, hallmark of House C's artificers, have augments instead of Cannith Crafting.

    I expect that they'll go live with the broken Lores on all the items, and maybe in Patch 1 or 2 they'll fix the lores and change the craftability to augment slots.

    Overall, I'd be more disappointed by that than happy, though I know a few people would be happier with augment slots.


    Oh, and Rock Boots are correct. Bracers of Wind have Fire Lore. :| I've only seen these broken on the ML 16 and 20 variants. The ML 12s are still correct.

  15. #15

    Default

    We've made no intentional changes to the Cannith Challenge items, nor do we intend to change them. Any odd or inconsistent behavior you're seeing with them are probably bugs- please submit bug reports regarding them so that we can get them fixed as soon as is possible. Thanks.

  16. #16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Archangel_666 View Post
    I wouldn't worry about that Ellis, there's actually nothing worth crafting at +3. The only thing that was half-way worth considering was 1% Dodge and they've changed Dodge to be non-stacking so that's pointless now too.
    There is good stuff to cram in with +3:

    On Weapons:
    Screaming of Pure Good
    Holy of Bleed

    On accessories: (Using flex shards, these go on any challenge accessory.)
    Melee Alacrity
    Ranged Alacrity
    Feather Falling
    Blindness Immunity
    Secret Door Detection (well, maybe...)
    Any Skill +7

    I mean, consider an ML12 Khopesh of Water:
    +4 Enhancement Bonus
    Paralyzing
    Crushing Wave
    Icy Burst
    Holy
    Bleed
    ML12!!!

    I'll take it. But, I expect this weapon would still be ML18 normally, ML16 w/masterful. My guess is they just added an AML to prevent masterful from reducing them below the intrinsic gear level.

  17. #17
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    364

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Feather_of_Sun View Post
    We've made no intentional changes to the Cannith Challenge items, nor do we intend to change them. Any odd or inconsistent behavior you're seeing with them are probably bugs- please submit bug reports regarding them so that we can get them fixed as soon as is possible. Thanks.
    So for clarity, we are supposed to be able to use Masterful Craftsmanship and it is supposed to reduce the Minimum Level by two?

  18. #18
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    364

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EllisDee37 View Post
    There is good stuff to cram in with +3:

    On Weapons:
    Screaming of Pure Good
    Holy of Bleed

    On accessories: (Using flex shards, these go on any challenge accessory.)
    Melee Alacrity
    Ranged Alacrity
    Feather Falling
    Blindness Immunity
    Secret Door Detection (well, maybe...)
    Any Skill +7

    I mean, consider an ML12 Khopesh of Water:
    +4 Enhancement Bonus
    Paralyzing
    Crushing Wave
    Icy Burst
    Holy
    Bleed
    ML12!!!

    Sign me up...
    I might agree with you if adding such did not increase the ML, since they do I disagree. While adding say Melee Alacrity to an item is nice, it bumps up the ML required to use it so much that if you can use it you can already use the next tier of gear.

  19. #19
    Community Member Arnhelm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Denver, CO, USA
    Posts
    2,269

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Feather_of_Sun View Post
    We've made no intentional changes to the Cannith Challenge items, nor do we intend to change them. Any odd or inconsistent behavior you're seeing with them are probably bugs- please submit bug reports regarding them so that we can get them fixed as soon as is possible. Thanks.
    Good to hear this, and thank you, Feather. Have a guild mate about to make a Tier 3 item specifically to craft MC on it. I'll let him know of this possible bug, and make sure we get a bug report submitted if anything goes wrong.
    There is no free lunch.

  20. #20
    Community Member Mindos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    flying underneath
    Posts
    631

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by -Zephyr- View Post
    I always thought that it wasn't WAI.
    Thing is, with the expansion, all items now calculate their own ML dynamically, even random items (which also means the items with Festival Frost and other such buffs are getting a ML bump). I wouldn't be surprised if it means your named item stays the same ML even if you apply Masterful Craftsmanship on it, because then it re-calculates its ML... And since the ML of a named item isn't supposed to change, it takes the "normal" ML 16.
    Are we sure this isn't the ML display bug? IE, sometimes the game displays the wrong ML, but logging in and out corrects the issue?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload