Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Community Member Talon_Moonshadow's Avatar

Default Warning: some monsters actually have deadly attacks and can kill you with them!

I know most of you find this difficult to believe, but YES! Some monsters actually can kill you!

Some monsters actually have devastating attacks such as disintegrate, polar ray, light beams, holds, etc. That can actually kill players who are not careful.

Some of them have saves.. but some of these saves are super high on some settings.
    Some do not have saves.

These kinds of things were added to the game to create a challenge.

Some of these challenges are difficult to counter by using the standard tactic of charging in with a great axe and pushing the attack button.

Some monsters are also immune or resistant to certain spells.
    This means that maybe a single spell cannot kill every monster in the game.

These kinds of things are not bugs.

They are there to make the game less boring.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jandric View Post
    ..., but I honestly think the solution is to group with less whiny people.

Sigh, you mean, we like, have to think?

Thinking is very dangerous you know...

Community Member

You must be referring to things like that giant lizard looking thing on the loading screen and various logos.. I was thinking this was Dungeons and Geckos by that logo. But if there are actually some dangerous critters out there...

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Talon_Moonshadow View Post
    Some monsters actually have devastating attacks such as disintegrate, polar ray, light beams, holds, etc. That can actually kill players who are not careful.
    Holy @#$%! I thought only my character was in danger.

But... what would we do if we ever encountered such a monster?!

Quote Originally Posted by Soulfurnace View Post
    But... what would we do if we ever encountered such a monster?!

Community Member

What exactly is "careful", though? What can you really do about some things you mentioned like holds, disintegrate, etc.?

Beam attacks are often near-instant, and not every monster is going to give you a "tell" that they're about to cast it where you can block/dodge it. Sure, there's spell absorption, but that's only going to work for a very limited number of instances. Hold spells, all you can do is hope you make your save...

Just saying, yes, zerging is never going to be the best defense - but sometimes the only defense against enemy casters (especially in Epic when their saves against your CC get really high) is to put them into death stance as fast as possible...

Quote Originally Posted by Talon_Moonshadow View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Drwaz99 View Post
    While it's not difficult to figure out, it's a mindless, stupid and eye-bleeding grind. It's not too hard to figure out that is not what this game needs right now. 2-3 million karma ok, there's some pain for your gain. But really, the EPL's are not worth the pain of 6 million XP in off destinies/sphere's.
    Quote Originally Posted by PermaBanned View Post
    Profit quantity has been prioritized above product quality.

Community Member
    3rd star from the left, and on til morning...

I'm sorry, but I think all this danger talk is just an ugly rumor.

Quote Originally Posted by droid327 View Post
    What exactly is "careful", though? What can you really do about some things you mentioned like holds, disintegrate, etc.?
    Holds - Freedom of Movement (most), high saves, Protection from Evil (some), Pale Lavender Ioun, and of course, Spell resistance.

Disintegrate - Pale Lavender, high saves, deathward**

Light spells (Running w/ the Devils) - Heals. Lots of Heals. And CCing the Ghaels works too.

*Note. Not really viable, but w/e.
    **Note. Not sure about this one, but I think it does... I need more coffee.

Hero

Nah deathward doesn't do anything, just untyped damage with a fort save. Still can hurt like a mofo tho.

Quote Originally Posted by Drwaz99 View Post
    Nah deathward doesn't do anything, just untyped damage with a fort save. Still can hurt like a mofo tho.
    Ah. As I said, I need coffee. Good thing I put a disclaimer there ^^
    Maybe it was Destruction, I often confuse them. Or maybe I still need that damn coffee.

theres no room for this challenge thing you speak of in DDO. its a thorn in my side as I make my way to cap. it slows me down and there can be no fail! now give me your loot and be gone with this rubbish!

Hero

Ah. As I said, I need coffee. Good thing I put a disclaimer there ^^
    Maybe it was Destruction, I often confuse them. Or maybe I still need that damn coffee.
    Deathward will certainly help with destruction since it's a instakill spell! Coffee is working!

Community Member

The funny thing is, the only thing I consider dangerous on your list... is the no-save, no resist items.

Lets see.

Poison Damage
    Horrid Wilting
    Polar Ray
    Scorching Ray
    Evil Damage
    etc...

That and OVERWHELMINGLY huge regular hits. Double attacks for 330...

You want to solo Epic Elite content? Ensure you pick a dungeon with a boss that casts spells. Roll in with a 50+ save, that can't fail on a 1, and improved evasion... And just beat them down. Spell power is a joke, except for the few aforementioned abilities.

That is the tragedy of the D&D spell system. When 85% of damage spells can be counter with a high reflex save, and the evasion feat... You change the game at the end game, and start tossing out new damage types... Just to get SOME effect. Some places the damage numbers are so silly high to beat the 40+ resists, that anyone who doesn't have a stupid high reflex and evasion are instantly melted.

So yes... "Some" are dangerous... On epic elite. The rest are just fodder, and you can watch movies, while you mindlessly walk the exceedingly short, and simple "dungeons", that you just bash thru, so the guy who wanted you to go in there can hand you the loot that you couldn't find inside an "actual" dungeon.

Community Member

Holds - Freedom of Movement (most), high saves, Protection from Evil (some), Pale Lavender Ioun, and of course, Spell resistance.

Disintegrate - Pale Lavender, high saves, deathward**

Light spells (Running w/ the Devils) - Heals. Lots of Heals. And CCing the Ghaels works too.

*Note. Not really viable, but w/e.
    Well you're still not talking about being careful...you're just talking about having the proper immunities. You're just talking about rock-paper-scissoring their spells. Its either nearly assured death without the right countermeasure, or you can effectively ignore them with the right one.

If your problem was with a zergy playstyle, none of that actually conflicts with it. If I have all that, then I can continue to zerg on through, blitzing or cleaving or what have you with no care at all, until I hit a monster that I don't have the dovetail immunity for, and they turn me into a zerg-sicle with an EE Polar Ray or something.

But that's the problem...you talk about challenges that cant be fixed with simply "moar greataxe"...but, too often, there's no strategy involved, no challenge - its either a case of your dice vs their dice and who makes their saves, literally a crapshoot, or your DPS vs their DPS, just outnuking them. There's no alternative to "moar greataxe" that's any better.

Ive got it! Lets make all monster spells a no save! Wanna dodge that fireball? Then you best book it outa the way! mwahahah.
    Through avarice, evil smiles; through insanity, it sings.

Quote Originally Posted by goodspeed View Post
    Ive got it! Lets make all monster spells a no save! Wanna dodge that fireball? Then you best book it outa the way! mwahahah.
    No. Dear god no.
    I can see some quests actually being hard... And we don't want that. Just an occasional polar ray to the face.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by goodspeed View Post
    Still too easy.

Lets do what you sadi AND lets make spells damage everyone in range. Including your party. Including the caster. (To keep it fair, all physical attacks now deal damage to everyone in range as well)

It called True Elite

Community Member

but... but... I just started the game and want to run everything on elite! this is unfair, I need to be able to do everything a 2006 veteran can do!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast