Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast
    Community Member Ironclans_evil_twin's Avatar

Default so no drama threads about re-rolling chest loot for astral shards?

I'm disappointed DDO P2W watchdogs, this actually offends me, and I'm on record as being okay with them Hypothetically selling raid loot and completionist in the store. Admittedly I find it offensive due to the anti immersion and "MMO amusement park" factor.

Quote Originally Posted by Ironclans_evil_twin View Post
    I'm disappointed DDO P2W watchdogs, this actually offends me, and I'm on record as being okay with them Hypothetically selling raid loot and completionist in the store. Admittedly I find it offensive due to the anti immersion and "MMO amusement park" factor.
    Maybe I have not been paying attention enough during beta ...... BUT ...... Are they talking astral shards for chest re rolls?

All fine with that ..... I need 12 pinions already with 15 more archers in the works

Quote Originally Posted by 96th_Malice View Post
    Maybe I have not been paying attention enough during beta ...... BUT ...... Are they talking astral shards for chest re rolls?

All fine with that ..... I need 12 pinions already with 15 more archers in the works
    Then you'll be disappointed. For 15 AS, you get a one time reroll on non-raid chests.
    I would still like to see... Something that tests character versatility and player adaptability rather than character focus strength and quest knowledge.
    I play the quests for the content of the quests not just as an XP/min merry-go-round.
    Actual play experience is worth infinitely more than theorycrafting...

Community Member

As I stated in the original thread, there's nothing P2W about it. Those of us with large enough stacks of Astral Shards that are willing to spend them on a silly thing didn't spend a single penny on said Astral Shards. They were earned in-game, by using the player-driven astral shard market. This is contrary to any definition of p2w I have ever seen. It is using the core currency of the game properly.

Quote Originally Posted by PermaBanned View Post
    Then you'll be disappointed. For 15 AS, you get a one time reroll on non-raid chests.
    Awwwwwwww ....... Oh well

Community Member

I couldn't test it (what npc is handing out free shards in the dojo?), but I read another thread indicating there is no confirmation if you accidentally hit the shard button on the chest loot window. If so, that is what I'd find offensive about it. For players like myself who would never willingly use it there is no UI option to turn it off, and with no confirmation that means it's just a 75 cent money trap waiting to happen. It's bad design from a customer relationship standpoint but arguably good design from a get-the-cash standpoint. -1 quality of life, thanks Turbine!

Quote Originally Posted by jalont View Post
    As I stated in the original thread, there's nothing P2W about it. Those of us with large enough stacks of Astral Shards that are willing to spend them on a silly thing didn't spend a single penny on said Astral Shards. They were earned in-game, by using the player-driven astral shard market. This is contrary to any definition of p2w I have ever seen. It is using the core currency of the game properly.
    ... don't want nitpicking, but which mean they have been most likely been bought on the other hand via real money.

However it's a one time roll on a trash loot chest that allow you to get another bunch of junk instead the one you are proposed in the first place. I tried it on Lama-land just to know that I will never ever spend those on a reroll, if at all, better yet take a chance on the lottery!
    * We have collectable bags, hell even hireling folders, but can I have that 6-pack for my potions please?
    * Having already a past life on the dieng EU servers, I rerolled here and started from scratch as I like the game and the community, so lets see what awaits me here

The other p2w stuff introduced already completely did away with any immersion factor people could claim existed short of restricting ones self to playing with others who also follow the same restrictions of not participating in said anti immersion style gaming - to where any new anti immersion mechanics introduced get lumped in with all the other stuff we saw coming, told you was coming, LOL'd at the furious denial that it was coming etc.

Now that its here, the value of "we told you this was coming two years ago" isn't enough to justify starting a new thread on. I usually tend to wait until someone who furiously denied this would happen in the past starts that thread about how they are now irritated, then remind them in their own thread how they said this would never happen.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by SisAmethyst View Post
    ... don't want nitpicking, but which mean they have been most likely been bought on the other hand via real money.
    The point still stands. The only people who will be using Astral Shards for this are those of us the actually use the market correctly, instead of rallying against it futilely... because....

However it's a one time roll on a trash loot chest that allow you to get another bunch of junk instead the one you are proposed in the first place. I tried it on Lama-land just to know that I will never ever spend those on a reroll, if at all, better yet take a chance on the lottery!

Community Member

I'm disappointed DDO P2W watchdogs
    Sorry, everyone who cares about playing a quality game has already left. I was just swinging by to check on the expansion release date and happened to notice this thread.

As I stated in the original thread, there's nothing P2W about it...
    You don't have enough faith in other people's willingness to spend money. You really don't think anyone who purchase shards will take a second shot at dragon chests in Tor, or any other non-raid chest with desirable named loot?
    I would still like to see... Something that tests character versatility and player adaptability rather than character focus strength and quest knowledge.
    I play the quests for the content of the quests not just as an XP/min merry-go-round.

Heck, unless their purpose here really is just to take advantage of the unobservant clickers who might accidentally reroll, I would have to call their implementation a fail. There's only 3 chests I can think of that would tempt me to use this system, and they're all raids: DQ, Abbot & Titan. If I can't use it on those, I'm not interested.
    Last edited by PermaBanned; 08-11-2013 at 05:46 PM.

If I really want to get another crack at a chest, most of the time I could just bring a 2box in and loot every chest an extra time... for free. The only time that's not really an option is if I'm running EE as it's probably a full group of real people to make it easier. But luckily for me, I haven't seen much "must have" loot from the new expansion yet. At least nothing that I would pay to get faster that is. I'll just run the quest again.

The odds of pulling vendor trash worth more than 15 shards is near 0% so it's only useful on named loot chests as your odds of pulling named loot is about 5% on each "roll". Of the chests with named loot, I can't personally think of a single one that I would spend 15 shards on for another 5% chance, though there are probably at least a few that some people might reroll on like the EE Ivy Wrap chest possibly. That one more because of the fact that the named isn't always there. Another maybe would be the EE black dragon chest for a chance at Blood. At least in that case, even if you don't pull Blood, you might get something else to make your 15 shard investment worth it. Right now I have to compare the 15 shard investment to the new gold rolls. A reasonable chance at up to +5 tomes (skill and ability) at the top tier as well as 1000-10000 account bound xp per roll. All this in addition to whatever I might be getting currently like xp pots and loot gems. I can't see getting that sort of return from a chest reroll all that often.

So that's two chests in the entire game that I'd maybe consider using this on if I were rolling in extra shards. I'm interested in hearing from other people about chests that they might actually consider using this feature on.
    Last edited by redspecter23; 08-11-2013 at 05:55 PM.
    Kaarloe - Degenerate Matter - Argonnessen

Quote Originally Posted by PermaBanned View Post
    Heck, unless their purpose here really is just to take advantage of the unobservant clickers who might accidentally reroll, I would have to call their implementation a fail. There's only 3 chests I can think of that would tempt me to use this system, and they're all raids: DQ, Abbot & Titan. If I can't use it on those, I'm not interested.
    That probably is the point, overall no rage about it because well I've come to expect it, quality game design is no longer the goal, cash grabs are, I'll get what I can out of the game till it folds or I find something else. Apathy has won.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Charononus View Post
    That probably is the point, overall no rage about it because well I've come to expect it, quality game design is no longer the goal, cash grabs are, I'll get what I can out of the game till it folds or I find something else. Apathy has won.
    LOL.

Erm, you do know that Turbine makes no money if someone uses Astral Shards, correct? You and others seem to be a bit confused on how they work.

Community Member

I agree with Permabanned. I think TOR will be a likely candidate whilst those items remain in demand.
    Think +2 loot gem, +2 loot weekend plus chestblesser and some will take the shot at +4/5 tomes.

Each to their own. It's an option.
    If you don't like it, don't use it.

Multi boxing is an option, but not everyone does that.

LOL.

Erm, you do know that Turbine makes no money if someone uses Astral Shards, correct? You and others seem to be a bit confused on how they work.
    Have you seen as drop in significant amounts? I haven't. I think I've got 5 or 10 once from a daily dice roll. Shards are purchased by someone even if it wasn't you.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Charononus View Post
    Have you seen as drop in significant amounts? I haven't. I think I've got 5 or 10 once from a daily dice roll. Shards are purchased by someone even if it wasn't you.
    That is not my point. If some "misclicks" on the reroll button, Turbine has made no money. I'm not sure why that would be their strategy.

That is not my point. If some "misclicks" on the reroll button, Turbine has made no money. I'm not sure why that would be their strategy.
    Clicking reroll takes shards out of the market to pay for it. That means that the amount of real money currency available in the game goes down, if you don't buy them yourself that means you might farm some ee gear to sell on the asah where the people that do buy it shop. This means more shards are injected into the game and Turbine makes more money.

Remember it's not paranoia if a slobbering monster really is trying to eat your face.

Community Member

The point still stands. The only people who will be using Astral Shards for this are those of us the actually use the market correctly, instead of rallying against it futilely... because....
    If you seriously believe the only people that will use this feature are people that sold things for shards on the shard exchange then you seriously underestimate the willingness of people to flush their pay checks down the toilet. Not that it bothers me. DDO is as good a toilet as any.
    Everyone who is not in the true definition of "hardcore" is looked down on as a "casual", unwilling or incapable of understanding the true brilliance of having twelve-year-olds insult you while they are teabagging your virtual corpse. - Christian Ward columnist for The Escapist

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast