Hybrid View

Community Member

Default Undocumented Cannith Crafting changes

Took a look on Lamannia to see if anything really obvious changed in cannith crafting.

* the lore shards appear to have been updated to the higher crit percentages, at least in terms of their descriptions. You can craft the "III, "IV", and "V" levels which are 13, 14, and 15 percent crit each.

* dodge shards were updated, at least the descriptions state 2% and 4% now instead of 1%/2%.

* the shards for each of the axe/spear/hammer block effects are updated. You can craft the "II" and "III" levels of each type which give 4 DR (potential 2) or 6DR (potential 3) respectively. That's different than the previous lesser and normal options that gave 3DR or 5DR at 1 or 2 potential. Slightly higher DR at higher potential.

* invulnerability (DR5/magic) has been nerfed in my opinion - used to be potential 1, now potential 3. Same DR value.

* minor change to the elemental guards - the higher guard shards went from 1-8 to 2-8 damage when hit.

* all spell penetration shards were squeezed down to "I" and "II" levels for +1 and +2 penetration at potentials 1 and 3. Although there are a lot of duplicate shards at a lot of different crafting levels and ingredient costs, this is a buff since the effect carries across all spell levels 1-9 with a cheaper potential.

Saw some other shards with name changes to the new naming scheme but no real feature or potential changes; for example parrying and greater parrying are identical other than the name changes to Parrying I and Parrying IV.

Anyone see anything else?

Quote Originally Posted by hit_fido View Post
    * invulnerability (DR5/magic) has been nerfed in my opinion - used to be potential 1, now potential 3. Same DR value.
    OUCH!

Wow Devs what can I say?

So even with a Masterful Craftmanship a +1 Armour of Invuln will be Min Lvl 5 Now?
    And that's a Base Armour NOT Battle Plate/Skirmish Chain - So seriously low AC Versus random Min Lvl 5 Armours!

Without being able to Master Craft Invuln's basically pointless with this change!

OH AND PLEASE TELL ME THIS ISN'T RETROACTIVE?
    If my Invuln Items on Multiple Characters suddenly get nerfed by 4 Levels I'm going to be seriously upset!

Community Member

Someone can check what happen to holy? Pliz ><

An invulnerabily without other effects is min level 3, now. Not good... but i hope level 1 and 2 are... fast to do.

Quote Originally Posted by FranOhmsford View Post
    OUCH!

Wow Devs what can I say?

So even with a Masterful Craftmanship a +1 Armour of Invuln will be Min Lvl 5 Now?
    And that's a Base Armour NOT Battle Plate/Skirmish Chain - So seriously low AC Versus random Min Lvl 5 Armours!

Without being able to Master Craft Invuln's basically pointless with this change!

OH AND PLEASE TELL ME THIS ISN'T RETROACTIVE?
    If my Invuln Items on Multiple Characters suddenly get nerfed by 4 Levels I'm going to be seriously upset!
    A +3 potential should be level 5 crafted and level 3 with mastercraft. I don't think adding the +1 affix to the armor is really worth it at low levels anyway. If you want to add an armor bonus you can get it from mage armor or armor bracers instead at that level. At level 3 it still has quite a bit of use. Also the Battle/Skirmish armor doesn't raise the min level, only sets the absolute minimum level so an invulnerability Battle armor should be level 4 under the new system (with mastercraft or 5 without) and would be level 4 under the old system.

Honestly, I don't think the devs want us walking around with what is basically 5 DR until level 10. It trivializes already trivial content. I'll be zerging low level content with or without invulnerability.
    Kaarloe - Degenerate Matter - Argonnessen

Quote Originally Posted by redspecter23 View Post
    A +3 potential should be level 5 crafted and level 3 with mastercraft. I don't think adding the +1 affix to the armor is really worth it at low levels anyway. If you want to add an armor bonus you can get it from mage armor or armor bracers instead at that level. At level 3 it still has quite a bit of use. Also the Battle/Skirmish armor doesn't raise the min level, only sets the absolute minimum level so an invulnerability Battle armor should be level 4 under the new system (with mastercraft or 5 without) and would be level 4 under the old system.

Honestly, I don't think the devs want us walking around with what is basically 5 DR until level 10. It trivializes already trivial content. I'll be zerging low level content with or without invulnerability.
    Go take a look at Random Battle Plates or Skirmish Chains compared to Min Lvl 4 Base Plates/Chains.
    You'll Notice the AC is much higher!

Now go take another look at Mage Armour etc. - This DOES NOT STACK WITH ARMOUR!
    Even without the + amount the Armour itself is going to be better than Mage Armour!

So Yeah... For Robe/Outfit wearers a + isn't worth it BUT those aren't the guys who're looking for AC now!

You're right about the Absolute Min Lvl btw...Which makes it slightly more palatable - Though only slightly and still horrible!

Oh and 5 DR till Lvl 10 - Axe/Spearblock is Much Much Better than Invuln and these now go to +6!
    So few Mobs do Bludgeon dmg that Hammerblock is almost completely unnecessary!

Frankly one of my biggest problems with DDO has been that DR still doesn't scale to Higher Levels where Mobs are doing 100+ Dmg per hit and we're stuck with a Piddly 5 DR!

5DR at Lvl 1 is maybe slightly on the OP side BUT Axebane/Spearbane Bracers from Korthos are 3 DR and The Devs have more recently inundated the game with Low Lvl 5 DR Armours/Gear.
    So a much better choice for the Devs to make is to stop trying to make Low Levels harder FOR VETS - Seriously now I fully remember stepping into Dead Predators 3 years ago as an Undergeared Lvl 4 {I didn't want to but was dragged in there} and getting my ... handed to me {and yes that's a very very easy quest comparative to most Lvl 5/6 Quests}.
    And instead to Push that DR envelope and actually give us better DRs at Lvl 15+, 20+ and Cap!
    Last edited by FranOhmsford; 08-11-2013 at 01:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by FranOhmsford View Post
    So few Mobs do Bludgeon dmg that Hammerblock is almost completely unnecessary!
    There are enough ogres, trolls and zombies to notice when you have no blunt dr.

Frankly one of my biggest problems with DDO has been that DR still doesn't scale to Higher Levels where Mobs are doing 100+ Dmg per hit and we're stuck with a Piddly 5 DR!
    Well, your point stands but we've been up to 15 DR (evil or lawful) since eGH, and DR 10/- since last Mabar. They're all at least ML24 though.

Quote Originally Posted by EllisDee37 View Post
    There are enough ogres, trolls and zombies to notice when you have no blunt dr.

Well, your point stands but we've been up to 15 DR (evil or lawful) since eGH, and DR 10/- since last Mabar. They're all at least ML24 though.
    Aye - DR 10 or 15 at Min Lvl 24 is a Joke!

Should be 30 and 45!

As for Ogres, Trolls and Zombies - I've ran Sorrowdusk many many times and have never found myself thinking I should grab a Hammerblock item.
    Same goes for the Zombie quest in House J!

By this Level Invuln will still be available to everyone btw so Hammerblock will still be the red-headed stepchild of the DR Gear!

Invuln already becomes of marginal use past Lvl 10 so basically what the Devs are doing is contracting it's usefulness to 7-9 {Frankly most vets charge thru these levels anyway!}
    Whereas with the current Invuln you can use it from 1-9 and save yourself item slots for other boosts.

Remember Most Newbies - The People who STILL find Lvl 1-5 Hard in this game - Won't have Invulnerability, Ship Buffs etc. etc. etc.
    And frankly {and yes I want this to stay} Resist 30s from Ship Buffs trivialise low level content far more than something like Crafted Invulnerability!
    I'll say again that I'm totally against the Devs removing 30 Resists for the simple reason that I am in Guilds on other servers where I have these resists yet my own Guild on Cannith does NOT - I Know exactly how much easier these make quests and I know that I prefer to have them!
    And would like to have that opportunity when I finally get my guild up to those levels!

Community Member

* the lore shards appear to have been updated to the higher crit percentages, at least in terms of their descriptions. You can craft the "III, "IV", and "V" levels which are 13, 14, and 15 percent crit each.
    Funny how the Devs introduced Spellpower because the Roman numerals were too complicated for new players and now they are reintroducing Roman numerals to not just spell items but everything now.

To me, this is more proof that Turbine is rudderless when it comes to planning.

What next? Nerf die damage to weapons until level 5? Boost ML of basic elemental damage until level 5 or 7? This just looks like they must want us to have extended time in low levels when the XP curve flattens out.
    Last edited by oradafu; 08-11-2013 at 01:15 PM.

Ouch.

* minor change to the elemental guards - the higher guard shards went from 1-8 to 2-8 damage when hit.
    Nice.

* all spell penetration shards were squeezed down to "I" and "II" levels for +1 and +2 penetration at potentials 1 and 3. Although there are a lot of duplicate shards at a lot of different crafting levels and ingredient costs, this is a buff since the effect carries across all spell levels 1-9 with a cheaper potential.
    Wait, so I can craft (what is currently known as) spell pen IX? Woot! That's a sweet boost. If I can make them unbound then that's full of win.

I don't often post on the forums, but this really annoys me. Why is it that the Devs find it necessary to nerf Invulnerability? There was a Dev post a while back saying that there were no plans to revisit the Cannith crafting system to update it with the newer prefixes and suffixes (i.e Rebel, Mauling, Bonebreaking, etc.) introduced with the last expansion pack or any of the previously missing enchantments (paralyzing and vorpal). That alone has invalidated Cannith crafting to a large extent.

So they won't improve the system, but they have no problems further nerfing some of the shards that already exist?

I really wish the focus would be on developing new content and fixing the hundreds of bugs in this game has rather than making changes to the fundamental aspects of this game (enhancements and AC), implementing cash grabs, and what seems to be intentionally trying to annoy the players.

Community Member whereispowderedsilve's Avatar

Default Bump -- hoping for a dev comment

Bump -- hoping for a dev comment

Hoping to get an explanation as to the reasoning *WHY* behind this change! Asking nicely/politely/sincerely! Cheers! :P! !
    http://dillonpfaff5.wix.com/theob Sign this!!!: http://goo.gl/vS6htg

DDO toll free support phone#: 855-WBGAMES (855-924-2637)

Sigh... I would also like to know why. Vets will still continue to blow through low level stuff with or without invulnerability. So really, why do this? Cannith crafting is already lacking, throw us a bone will ya?

Yeah, in retrospect I don't see much difference at all regarding invulnerability. Most of the low level mob damage is piercing; substituting a (masterful'ed) lesser spearblock on my armor for levels 1 & 2 and then upgrading to (masterful'ed) invulnerability at 3 ends up being almost no change compared to live. So, it's largely meh.

Where it hurts for me is that I typically upgrade to Life Shield of Invulnerability at level 5, but now I can't until level 7. The horror! hehheh.

(Sahaugin and and kobolds do piercing, cultists and most of the undead at low levels do bludgeon.)

Quote Originally Posted by EllisDee37 View Post
    Yeah, in retrospect I don't see much difference at all regarding invulnerability. Most of the low level mob damage is piercing; substituting a (masterful'ed) lesser spearblock on my armor for levels 1 & 2 and then upgrading to (masterful'ed) invulnerability at 3 ends up being almost no change compared to live. So, it's largely meh.

Where it hurts for me is that I typically upgrade to Life Shield of Invulnerability at level 5, but now I can't until level 7. The horror! hehheh.

(Sahaugin and and kobolds do piercing, cultists and most of the undead at low levels do bludgeon.)
    I actually thought Sahaugin Spears did Slashing Dmg {or was that just a bug?}

Oh and:

Hobgobs - Thousands of em!
    Slashing Dmg galore!

Not sure but Wights and Ghouls might be Slashing too.

Honestly though - I spoke out that I still find certain Low Level Quests to be quite a pain in the posterior when I'm on Servers where I'm Sans Ship Buffs or worse Don't have Twink gear / Plat for Pots!

I have a f2p account I sometimes log onto too - one where I'm still at low levels on a 28pt toon!

I'm no longer a newbie, not by a long shot {I'm also by no means one of the great gamers on these forums} but I can still have a hard time at low levels sans gear and buffs!

It annoys me when Vets go on about Low {and even Mid and to me High Levels} in this game are a piece of cake BECAUSE they're looking at it from one of two points:
    1) They're Long Time gamers weaned on FPS or Mario Style Games who find DDO {with it's emphasis on being playable by people who like me only play because it's D&D} way too easy anyway.
    or
    2) People who've got all the gear/plat/pots etc. etc. and/or Past Lives Galore and have simply forgotten that DDO isn't the cake walk they now see it as.

Hey - Experience counts for a heck of a lot too - There was a time when I was terrified of Tempest Spine - I could run thru there in my sleep now {so long as the mobs weren't there that is}.
    I took my Lvl 6 Sorc {3 years ago} into 3 Barrel Cove and got Danced/Dazed/Held and MURDERED by the Bards round the first corner of the Slayer!
    That hasn't happened since!

I fully recall all the times I went into the likes of Swiped Signet, Proof is in the Poison, Freshen the Air and EVEN Butcher's Path or Stealthy Repo and WIPED!
    FULL GROUPS - SOMETIMES OVER-LEVELLED {Especially in Proof or Freshen!}
    I fully recall the horrid first experiences of Taming the Flames, Dead Predators, The Pit, Tempest Spine, VoN 3, Wiz King, Crucible, Madstone, Coal Chamber, G-Point etc. etc. etc.

And I know that Invulnerability and the likes of 30pt Ship Resists are not so much OP as NECESSITIES for many Non-Veterans whilst they learn the game and gain the experience to become able to do those quests without said {yeah okay let's call them Crutches!}.

If I'm on a server like Argo or Wayfinder say where I have my characters in Low Level Guilds without any buffs or even a ship!
    Where I don't have the plat to twink them out!
    I CAN now run said Quests with few {if any} issues {though from time to time I do still get Harried to death in Stealthy Repo!}.
    BUT that's Experience!

And I'm sorry but Experience also teaches that you use what's available to you to alleviate the difficulties you may encounter!
    And the constant nerfing {by boosting Min Lvls} of gear {especially crafted gear} is just plain wrong!

The same goes for Spells like FoM and Prot Evil {The second being Bugged as all heck with nothing done by the Devs to fix it!}.

And for Disease/Poison Immunity items - We still had to find space in our gear layouts for said items you know Devs - And that left those of us who weren't twinked to heck and back with serious problems!
    All you've actually done is made it so that I don't even bother with Disease/Poison Resist items anymore as they make very little difference!
    So I don't need to worry about losing something else that is actually necessary for my characters!
    Last edited by FranOhmsford; 08-13-2013 at 06:01 PM.