Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by DDO_University View Post
    I'd be interested in your comments on a blog post I did on the University website. Its at:

http://ddouniversity.wordpress.com/2.../how-to-party/
    Your whole concept of 'roles' is gibberish and actually harmful advice to new players..

Community Member

@Teh_Troll:

You're not a forum newb, and from your posts you're clearly not a game newb. You've posted advice that I really appreciated when I read it. However....

I found this comment a little....abrasive?

Roles in DDO may be a bit fuzzier than in other games, and I'll admit that DDO_University's take on a tank was not maybe what everyone would think of. But the idea of the DDO University is a really nice one. This game is ridiculously complicated. I was lucky, and came from a PnP background of MERP (Middle Earth Role Playing, based on the GURPS ruleset) and an MMO background of Asheron's Call (flexible builds), and I STILL find it hard to handle and hard to get into. From a new player's point of view, DDO is HARD. And given the number of other MMOs out there which are "jump in and play", that's often off-putting.

All I'm saying is....a little gentler maybe? You could have offered some advice for DDOU to rewrite the article. God knows you have the knowledge.

@DDO_University:

Firstly, I applaud the idea. I've said this before in another of your posts. I'd love to be able to commit to helping, but the reality is that I have a very full family life, irregular play hours, and most importantly too shallow a depth of game knowledge to be a mentor to anyone. I'm still asking so many questions myself!

But...

That article you linked could maybe do with a little revision. If you don't mind me offering a little advice, maybe a request to the DDO General board to help reword it slightly might yield a nice dividend for new players who read it

Aes.

Quote Originally Posted by Istaria1 View Post
    That article you linked could maybe do with a little revision. If you don't mind me offering a little advice, maybe a request to the DDO General board to help reword it slightly might yield a nice dividend for new players who read it
    Any constructive criticism is welcome on anything the University says or does. Whether its something I do, or someone else involved with it. I'll need to think about using the DDO forums to solicit people to comment on blog posts. The University site itself already allows people to comment.
    DDO University : A player run organization with the goal of trying to enrich the playing experience and community of those who play Dungeons and Dragons Online through education and research.

Visit http://ddouniversity.wordpress.com/ for more information

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by TheLegendOfAra View Post
    You know, I almost thought for about half a second this post was going to be something nice for a change. I'm useless
    FTFY

You know you have Problems when people start taking bets about how many times you'll DC the second you enter a raid... /sigh
    And I swear those damn bridges just disappear under me! *Mumbles something about faulty coding*
    Well, speaking of that prepp you still owe me 1LDS and 2cp's....I believe I won the over/under on that last CITW I was in with both of you....well the one I was in with you, ara 'piked' I mean "DC'ed" for most of it

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123