Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by DDO_University View Post
    The first time I really started to understand how complex DDO is was when ...
    As a long time PnP player I adapted pretty quickly to it. The biggest issue was understanding where this was different from PnP which doesn’t hit you until you get to above level 10.

2) I really started struggling at level X, and thought the game was getting harder to play until I read X, or talked to X, or ....
    About level 17, before then the “old” game was easy enough on Normal that my first terrible toon was able to make it and participate. After the Vale stuff just got harder and the short-coming of my first toon became more evident. I made changes to my second toon and he did much better when he got to those levels.

3) Looking back, I really wish I would have known about the Wiki or the forums or ...
    Back then the forums were (heck, they still are) full of people who didn’t know what they were talking about. I never used the wiki except to look up gear stats.

4) If there is one thing that really would have helped me in the tutorial quests on Korthos, its if they would have taught me about ....
    How Halflings are evil and need to be sacrificed. Look Jeets in the eye and tell me I’m wrong.

5) If I could tell brand new players just one thing, it would be ....
    Ask the vets questions, take their advice, but run quests with your peers at e level you can handle while still being fun. The game is best learned when running with people of your skill and experience level.

1) The first time I really started to understand how complex DDO is was when ...
    I learned about enhancements on my first toon. I was already well acquainted with the 3.5 D&D rules, but these added a whole new dimension to character building.

2) I really started struggling at level X, and thought the game was getting harder to play until I read X, or talked to X, or ....
    Again with my first toon I started to struggle around level 14. I had the good fortune to run into some good, helpful players that not only gave me advice on what worked and didn't, but also gave me some decent gear... often I find many people forget how tough it can be to acquire decent equipment for a first time, first toon player.

3) Looking back, I really wish I would have known about the Wiki or the forums or ...
    I can't say it enough; The Character Planner is a HUGE help... and I don't mean just squeeze out more dps from min/max toons; but to see what your character can and will be in the future.

4) If there is one thing that really would have helped me in the tutorial quests on Korthos, its if they would have taught me about ....
    Um... well if I had to say what was missing from a tutorial in Korthos ... it comes down to a few concepts like DR(and bypassing -only briefly mentioned in Heyton's Rest I think), vulnerabilities, spell resistance, spell penetration and fortification. Might be for more advanced levels (and I think "Recovering the Lost Tome" in the harbour does talk about DR)

The wiki and the forums are the best places for information; in that order, and take forum opinion with a grain of salt.

Toons: Tegor - Valask - Markita - Richiurd - Morjak - Mylaphin
    Guild: The Rogue Saints - Sarlona

Community Member TheLegendOfAra's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 1Soulless1 View Post
    Always pike INSIDE the quest
    You know, I've never once had this problem.
    "I'll be there eventually... Possibly... Maybe."

• Right away. I was brought to this game by a Gaming Channel on teh youtubez by the name of TotalBiscuit. He made it pretty clear in his "*** is..." that DDO was hard, complex, and you would quickly ruin your toon if you didn't know what you were doing. And he was right, and I did.

• Around level 8-9. I was still F2P at the time, without any packs, any named gear, or much game knowledge to speak of. I was playing a first life Ranger/Cleric abomination from the pits of Tartarus(Dex based dumped str, pumped wis for SP. Splashed 2 cleric so I could give the cleric I was running with free DV's...) I had no idea what for was, had **** saves, and had dumped con Completely. Joining Pugs for Caverns of Korromor, Tear of Dhakahn, and Gwyln's Stand really opened my eyes so to speak. Everything one shot me, even on non crits and I had no DPS to speak of.
    • I had already found the forums at this point, and that eventually lead me to the wiki. The problem I had was most of the things I could find were simply "Don't play rangers. They're gimp", or builds that required all types of gear I could never get. Then I found Tihocan's(?) post about Revisiting Paths, and it was like a whole new game! Suddenly I had HP, and DPS! And I could actually learn the game and not suck!(I still sucked.) Once I had a workable toon(Took the Exploiter template and grabbed AA feats) I looked on the wiki and found what packs looked like fun and bought them.

• Looking back, I wish I had done it all the same. The way I learned, and the way I played eventually evolved and because of those early days of suck, I got better. I learned from experience what not to do, not just what someone on the forum told me. I think this has a big part to play in the people I run with now, and the level of gameplay I hold myself accountable for at most times.
    • Although, on second though it may have been nice to know that Str was not a dump stat for an AA.

• Nothing really. There is so much in this game that is important knowledge (Skills, feats, enhancements, Fort, saves...) It would have been silly if that had tried to cover it all with the tutorial. Like any good(LOL) Tutorial they did what they should have done; They gave me the base information, and showed me where to find more.
    • Possibly given a link to the wiki and the forums in one of the hints?

• Roll a Ranger.
    • Be awesome.
    • Tell the elitists to kiss your A**.
    • Even if it is a game, and you play for fun, do your best to contribute. What irks me, and I think many others most isn't people dying, drawing to much agro, or even playing badly or anything like that. It's people who honestly aren't even trying to contribute to the party in any meaningful way.
    Araphina Skycrow - 15Paladin/3Ranger/2Fighter (Life 8/25) 5xRanger, 3xPaladin
    Araphell - Arasin - Arathaes - Arawyn - Aravein
    Guild: Fors Fortis;Guild of Won, & VENOM @ Argo
    "And we learn, as we age; We've learned nothing! And my body still aches."

Hero

Quote Originally Posted by TheLegendOfAra View Post
    [*]Tell the elitists to kiss your A**.
    OK, kiss my ass!

1) The first time I really started to understand how complex DDO is was when ...

I left to play World of Warcraft for a couple months.

I went into Gwylan’s as a Cleric still swinging a +3 heavy mace. I soon after figured out hirelings. When I finally completed I got a +2 shock heavy mace as an end reward & thought I was really a force to be reckoned with. I gave up using the hireling. Then I went into Jungles of Khyber & came out naked without even having enough plat to repair. Tough time there. I went into that dungeon 4 times before completing.

I did not know you could go back into the dungeon after dying. I also did not know you could leave Waterworks after each dungeon. I went into the slayer area not understanding slayer areas & how the Waterworks dungeon worked. I thought WW was all one big dungeon with some periodic XP. By the third dungeon after oozes ate all my gear I was running in circles letting a red scorpion do the killing. After an extended battle & running out of spell points I was a bit demoralized. Here I was, naked, at the beginning of what I thought was just the next stage in one giant dungeon. I looked in my inventory, found some hide armor & a masterwork heavy mace, and got busy with the rest. After completing dungeon #3 and finding out there was yet MORE DUNGEON, I almost gave up but figured I’d gone so long I couldn’t quit yet. I just had to complete. It took me probably ??four hours?? to get through Waterworks on a Saturday morning & I really felt like writing a letter to Turbine to make a way to “SAVE” your progress.

Now, that’s some nostalgia. I thought Misery’s peak was large. It made me wonder what higher level dungeons were like.

You can go back in a dungeon after dying if it’s within 5 minutes. I did many dungeons all over again because I’d just move on to the next one & come back on a different day.

Have fun! Give the game some time so you can learn it. If you have a D&D background, don’t fear – DDO does it pretty darn good. It may seem a bit odd at first & the Eberron setting isn’t too bad. If you have a WoW like background, don’t fear – you finally got to a better place! After adjusting you’ll likely find it hard to go back to the generic WoW based MMO. Just my opinion, but hey.
    To the folks who’s early problems were bad builds – I’m years into the game and still gimping my cartoons like a champ – oh yeah!

I started playing a few months after DDO's original launch in '06, and I wanted to play a Paladin. I had over 20 years of PnP experience from basic D&D, AD&D, 1st and 2nd edition, but had never played 3rd edition, so most of the rules such as feats were new to me. At the time, builds and advice on the forums were very contradictory, and I would regularly read and study what other people said, but nothing was ever clear, and I usually would come away more confused. I'm not sure that DDO Wiki existed back then, or if it did I wasn't aware of it. Also, reincarnation didn't exist back then, so if you found a build mistake you had to delete and reroll.

So how did I learn? Through trial and error in game. Basically I would roll up a character and just start playing them. I'd play in the low levels, 6 at the most, then delete and reroll, tweaking something in the build to see what the effect was (ex. Starting strength at 16 vs. 14 to see how much 1 rank in strength made a difference in combat). As I learned things, I would adjust my build (ex. figuring out that Paladin's minimum wisdom to cast spells is based on your modified wisdom score meaning I could put more build points elsewhere). It was a pretty painstaking process, but I eventually figured out lots of game mechanics that were not clearly written down anywhere. The worst part is that once I eventually decided to level up to higher levels I learned through trial and error that what worked at low levels did not necessary work at higher levels. For example, ideal AC targets...I remember the first time I brought my 28 point Paladin intimitank into Gianthold. A group of mobs approached. I squared off against them, hit intimidate and within 5 seconds I became a big red splat! LOL

So what can help new players learn DDO? There are two things that would help (other than trial and error):
    1) Having clearly written, easy to find tips and descriptions for how the game mechanics work in DDO, and we have that in DDO Wiki, which is just an awesome resource that I still refer to.
    2) Having well written guides written by experienced players who have played and play tested builds in game. It's best to learn from people who have been there, done that, and have been successful at it.
    Aryk Stoutheart, Vanguard Paladin
    Grolyn Stoutheart, Divine Disciple Cleric
    Rindyl Twirliblade, Elven Swashbuckler

1) The first time I really started to understand how complex DDO is was when.

Character building: Multiclassing synergistic abilities allows to make a much stronger character than a pure build in most cases. Even the pure builds have TR lives and cross skills that synergize with their toon.

Game play: When I saw all the stances people could be in, and we used blocking as a strategy alot. It plays like an FPS or an overhead shooter. Mobs would take bow shots at me, and Id step to the side and the shot would hit a party member behind me instead. Most games that were out during this time did not acount for this - as they use engines that make ranged spells and missiles always hit or miss the target, but stray arrows dont happen hit other players. Mastering character movement and twitch skills is just as important as character building.

10 ish - right around when you start fighting outsiders. They have higher saves, abilities other than melee, different AI, and hit like a truck.

The wiki for sure. Just about every ability, feat, stat, quest, loot, class, race, etc...is defined there. Dont know where to go in the pit, or shadow crypt, the wiki is your friend.

Grouping. (the tutorial is solo - and friends sometimes start playing together and want to play together right from the start).

5) If I could tell brand new players just one thing, it would be.

Use the LFM tool to lead groups to run the way you want to run. Waiting for someone else to start the LFM all the time means running the way other players want to run, and you may or may not end up with other players with similar priorities.
    Advocating repeated nerfs in the name of "balancing the game" then complaining about how DDO is moving away from D&D, is a direct contradiction in logic - D&D 3.5 (what DDO is based on) is not a balanced game. We can either have a balanced clone MMO with homogenized classes, or we can have a D&D game. We cant have both.

Quote Originally Posted by Drwaz99 View Post
    OK, kiss my ass!
    OG, is this really happening? Am I one of Argo's Elitists?
    Why didn't anyone tell me?!

Also, Die. Painfully, preferably.

Community Member

Lightbulb

Well from day one it was complicated, I had never played an MMO game of any sort and it had been years since I had played anything more than a throw away PC/console game and it also been literally decades since I got to roll a d20 in D&D. I found the post character creation training fell short of expectations in talking about what character abilities are important. Also I had expected that the game would come with some sort of reasonable in game manual, but all I saw was LotR nonsense everywhere. Throw in swimming and map instances confused the heck out of me, Tempest Spine and yes even blockade buster where going thru a door teleports the dots into illogical locations. It sure would have been a hell of a lot easier if I had RL second person to show or co-learn.

Also when I tried and failed to be an uber monk finishing move machine. I just got myself into a mess every time

Level 1 from level 1 for sure. It didn't get any easier until I tr'ed my third character and Lesser reincarnated my second whilst at Level 19.

Sure. But in the early says when I was reading on forums much of the good advice was superceeded by later game design changes and thus wouldn't be as useful ... as such I would have to read the entire forum threads which seemed silly for someone who just wanted some escapism time and not have to read pages of drama.

A decent in game manual would have helped at the start.

Be genuinely honest when joining lfm's, with so many groups nowadays advertising for BYOH and know quest. Just say something like look it's going to take me a while to learn all this, I am going to make mistakes and I don't have the platinum to cover myself for a BYOH group. You may be suprised with how much people will assist with plat if that is your stumbling block. Also if your character is starting to really look like a clown, don't persecute yourself - create a second character and use your experiences from the first one to have a better crack at those same quests to give yourself confidence. Then come back to your original toon and work on it.

Also, if you have the turbine points dont be scared to use them on a greater reincarnation. They really help!
    [/QUOTE]

Community Member

The first character I rolled was a Paladin. I didn't know what I was doing, I just knew I wanted to play an mmorpg. I also had no previous experience playing dungeons and dragons, so i didn't understand how to build a character.

I first started learning things by reading what was available in game, such as tips, descriptions on items, etc. I also utilized the advice channel in the harbor quite a bit.

After that, people in groups would tell me how I can improve my character. I learned about PrEs this way.

It wasn't till my second build that I started utilizing the ddo forums and ddo wiki, mostly for builds or build concepts.

After level 5 on my first character was where things became difficult. I remember struggling through the first necropolis quests. I wasn't doing any damage with my weapons. I thought items stacked. My build was sad. It took a lot of time to figure everything out.

I would have to say that the best information that I recieved on how to play the game was from grouping with helpful people. Without that, it would have taken me much longer to get the hang of the game.

Community Member

By playing permadeath and dieing a lot.

The first time I really started to understand how complex DDO is was when I started listening to DDOcast, especially Crunchy Bits and Samius' segments.

I began struggling at around level 12, until I read the forums and got a better idea of how to build and equip my character.

Looking back, I really wish I hadn't given up so easily on my first useless characters. I got stuck in a reroll loop. Every time flaws became apparent, I rerolled. I should have just stuck to my first gimpy characters and capped them, warts and all.

If I could tell brand new players just one thing, it would be: read the wiki and the forums. No, not the trolls and flamewars. Read build threads. Lots of them.
    Last edited by stoerm; 08-14-2013 at 06:12 AM.
    Praise the Dark Six and pass the heals to pure melees.
    Full feat tree; Cannith; change; merger; evil; win; minmaxing; FotM; deja vu; Kobolds.
    Dungeons and Dragons Online ~ Nude Song and Gnarled Onions

Hero

Quote Originally Posted by TheLegendOfAra View Post
    OG, is this really happening? Am I one of Argo's Elitists?
    Why didn't anyone tell me?!

Also, Die. Painfully, preferably.
    There are definitely some things that you do so well that I am convinced you are easily the best on the server in these categories: DC'ing, Dying. and falling off ledges/bridges at the most inopportune times. I think everyone should take a step back and just admire you. You have a really beautiful soul stone!
    Last edited by Drwaz99; 08-14-2013 at 05:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Drwaz99 View Post
    There are definitely some things that you do so well that I am convinced you are easily the best on the server in these categories: DC'ing, Dying. and falling off ledges/bridges at the most inopportune times. I think everyone should take a step back and just admire you. You have a really beautiful soul stone!
    You know, I almost thought for about half a second this post was going to be something nice for a change. I'm useless without a nice cup of coffee in the morning.

You know you have Problems when people start taking bets about how many times you'll DC the second you enter a raid... /sigh
    And I swear those damn bridges just disappear under me! *Mumbles something about faulty coding*

Real Life friend
    Forums
    Guild
    Deaths
    Argonnessen: Hilmir - Purkilius - Jinu - Vignir @ Blood Assassin´s

Community Member

I had been playing maybe a month, and had been cruising the forums for the "amg-uberest-moar-murder-soloest-easy-mode" toon ever, and then trying them all (with, naturally enough, no success whatsoever). Then I tried building my own toon in the planner....pre-reqs, what? PrEs? Whaddya mean I can't....DOH!

Realistically, I had a fair idea that DDO was complex before I came to it. I used to play Asheron's Call alot, and it also had a fair degree of build flexibility. DDO felt like a natural next step.

You can be absolutely sure I messed up 10 toons before I found one I stuck with though.

Well, this still happens to me all the time. I'm learning. I'm first life, and have run into several walls due to inexperience, lack of knowledge, lack of gear etc etc etc. Alot of it may be laziness on my part too. I made a soloist toon, assuming that I could easily just get to 20 at my own pace from there. Not as easy as I thought. I ran into major issues from about 10 onwards, and sitting on level 17 atm, with no real idea of where to go.

However, the doom and gloom never lasted long I am pretty up front with LFM leaders that I haven't run something before, and if they prefer to zerg, I'll try to gracefully let them off the hook, and will withdraw my request. I've been taken along on alot of cool runs by habitual TRs, who can be alot more patient than they are made out to be, and have learned alot of little tricks with certain quests - for sure the second life will be easier than the first.

Well, I kinda went looking for the forums pretty much off the bat, but the Wiki I didn't discover for several weeks. When I did....HALLELUJAH!

More recently, the trick of replacing "/en/" with "/forums/" to get at older posts has been by far the most valuable thing I have learned

Grouping and specialist roles. Perhaps a simulated instance where you would be encouraged to group for a pseudo-elite instance, and the missing roles (e.g. trapper/spotter) would be filled in by an NPC. That's a bit fuzzy, so to clarify: My first toon was going fine and dandy til he ran into the locked door with the chest behind it in one of the Korthos quests (can't remember the name of it, sorry - it's the one where you rescue the girl, and Jacoby Drexelhand shows up as an undead). Well, I couldn't be having with that. So I figured I'd splash in some rogue (not knowing what the hell I was at), and that was fine for Korthos. I was very happy until I realised that because of my low Int, I couldn't keep it up as I levelled, and that I had effectively wasted a level. If there'd been a little bit there where an NPC (Jeets?) popped out and advised me of ability to skill synergy and the cost of going down that road, I'd have either not bothered, or reconsidered my class. I still consider that particular quest to be nettling on a char who can't pick the lock :P

Group. Get used to it, and get into it early. DDO is not designed as a solo game. You can do it (to an extent) but man is it slow and painful alot of the time. You'll not only gain some protection if your character is not the best-planned, but you'll learn quests, tricks, shortcuts, and you'll absorb ALOT of useful advice simply by exposing yourself to it.

EDIT: And one more thing to new players. DON'T buy **** off the shop. +2 weapons etc are NOT worth any turbine points. You'll get enough as you level up to grab one or two nice packs - you will fume when you realise you're short for Gianthold the exact price of that crappy Jewel of Fortune you thought would be a great idea at level 1.

Aes.
    Last edited by Istaria1; 08-14-2013 at 01:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Istaria1 View Post
    brand new players just one thing, it would be ....

Group. Get used to it, and get into it early. DDO is not designed as a solo game. You can do it (to an extent) but man is it slow and painful alot of the time. You'll not only gain some protection if your character is not the best-planned, but you'll learn quests, tricks, shortcuts, and you'll absorb ALOT of useful advice simply by exposing yourself to it.
    This one has two edges. You learn a lot but you lose out on exploration. Personally, I hated & still hate grouping in new dungeons. I love going in with friends who have never been there but in a pug you just follow along. That absolutely kills a the experience IMO. I did a couple like that my first time through & stopped pugging in anything other than something I've already done.

Slow and painful means that you're doing it right. That, to me at least, becomes more of an achievement. The dungeons I had difficulty with the first time are the fondest memories I have. Soloing Running with the Devils without knowing what was in there was a huge task but when I beat it I was elated. I
    Word of Recalled twice & started over but never could even break DR. I found a stat draining item in my pack (Medusa Sword if I recall correctly) & had a long drawn out time getting through. I didn't have enough SP to keep Blade Barriers up too often. I made it though & loved it.

That's good memories there.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hoglum View Post
    This one has two edges. You learn a lot but you lose out on exploration. Personally, I hated & still hate grouping in new dungeons. I love going in with friends who have never been there but in a pug you just follow along. That absolutely kills a the experience IMO.
    And of course, this is also absolutely right. BUT! I did mention earlier in my post that I have no problems telling a group leader ( or setting up an LFM with the message) that I'm a first timer/first lifer and would like to go slowly and explore.

In general I've been able to get group members who wanted the same. The thing about the forums and the chat channels in game is that the majority do not speak. But they're there and they play. And they will join you

Aes.

Community Member

I started off joining a PermaDeath guild, which was a big mistake. I had figured that if I could learn how to survive no matter what, then I would be well prepared for anything that the game had to throw at me! In reality all that I really learned was how to make super specific characters who only really function in one aspect of the game! But at least it was fun. Going out into the 'real digital world' of DDO meant starting over from scratch and learning how to do things over again, with an eye on doing things effectively rather than creeping and crawling. And now I die far less often while zerging elite quests than I did while playing PD and it meant that I had to reroll!

Like a lot of others, I came in with a D&D background. And the old saying is true; a D&D player will know just enough about DDO to confidently build a terrible character! A lot of things that work well in P&P simply don't translate into an online MMO.

Quote Originally Posted by kuro_zero View Post
    Things are alot more forgiving now a days and there's a ton of knowledgeable vets willing to share their knowledge. But, the forums and the wiki didn't help me much until I made mistakes and learned from them.
    This is for sure! I would have been amazed to have a +1 Lesser Heart to use on my super-mega-awesome DEX ranger back when the nerf to WoPs meant that I couldn't kill things effectively any longer. >.<

I was rather slow to come to the Forums or the wiki, though. In my mind, listening to other people's build ideas closed my own thinking about different ways to do things. Occasionally I have found some build feature or facet of a character that I think is way better than 'the established' building mentality. But... I have to admit, more often than not builds become popular for good reasons; they really do work!
    Last edited by RedHost; 08-14-2013 at 02:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Istaria1 View Post
    I'd be interested in your comments on a blog post I did on the University website. Its at:

http://ddouniversity.wordpress.com/2.../how-to-party/
    DDO University : A player run organization with the goal of trying to enrich the playing experience and community of those who play Dungeons and Dragons Online through education and research.

Visit http://ddouniversity.wordpress.com/ for more information

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast