Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default How did you learn to play DDO?

I have a thread where I linked to a blog post I made about DDO U and its current state. There are some good discussions going on there. If you care to look at it, its at :

http://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread...What-is-is-etc

But I wanted to start a new thread to ask people what they remember about playing DDO for the first time, and how they learned about various aspects of the game. I realize for some players this will be many years ago and hard to remember. But any story about how you came to learn about how to play DDO would be useful to the DDO University project. Try to talk about things like:

1) The first time I really started to understand how complex DDO is was when ...

2) I really started struggling at level X, and thought the game was getting harder to play until I read X, or talked to X, or ....

3) Looking back, I really wish I would have known about the Wiki or the forums or ...

4) If there is one thing that really would have helped me in the tutorial quests on Korthos, its if they would have taught me about ....

5) If I could tell brand new players just one thing, it would be ....

You don't have to limit yourself to just these thing. Waxing a bit nostalgic is fine, but just realize that too much will make it more time consuming to find the useful tidbits you may come up with. Just remember, this thread is not about what Turbine could or should do with DDO. Its about telling how you learned to play DDO so the University can help teach new players, which is one of its goals.
    Last edited by DDO_University; 08-11-2013 at 12:27 PM.

I found the forums an hour or so after first logging into the game, and the forums led me to wiki. I spent most of that first week planning out a build, but I just didn't know enough to make informed choices; total fail. Around level 6 I deleted him, redid the plan from scratch, and that one took. I still have him, and he looks to be improved August 19th so I'm pretty happy overall.

As far as learning, most of it was done soloing. I don't like running quests I don't know in groups. Raids are an exception, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by DDO_University View Post

1) The first time I really started to understand how complex DDO is was when ...
    I hit Lvl 12 on my Cleric/Ftr and had to Lesser Res before I could take Radiant Servant 1 {No I didn't have Emp. Heal!}.

2) I really started struggling at level X, and thought the game was getting harder to play until I read X, or talked to X, or ....
    Lvl 8 was a Sea Change for me - My early characters all had to be remade at this point {The Cleric actually went thru a total of 3 Reincarnations incl the Greater to go from 28-32 pt at Lvl 8}.
    Joining Groups running the likes of Caverns of Korromar, Stormcleave Outpost and Tempest Spine {though I steered clear of that last one for as long as I could!} was scary!

No matter what I read or who I talked to though - I only got better thru Experience.

3) Looking back, I really wish I would have known about the Wiki or the forums or ...
    I found the forums pretty early tbh.
    Though the people who introduced me to DDO {and kept dragging me into quests that I wasn't rdy for} avoided them like the plague.

DDOWiki I've always found to be of minimal help until I already know the quest/s thru experience.

4) If there is one thing that really would have helped me in the tutorial quests on Korthos, its if they would have taught me about ....
    Nope - Can't think of anything - I like Korthos!

Enjoy yourselves - Play what you want - And remember Experience is Everything in DDO...There is no substitute!
    Last edited by FranOhmsford; 08-11-2013 at 01:16 PM.

When I first started DDO, it was my first mmo. I knew nothing about the forums or the wiki. I just took a few decades worth of pnp knowladge and jumped in with both feat. Made a rogue that would've been excellent in the paper game, but came up seriously lacking in DDO. Took it all the way to 20 as a f2p account with Gianthold as my only pack (purchased with earned points).

This was the best learning experience I could've had. I rarely solod anything - I came to an mmo to play with multiple players after all I explored everything, really learned quests progressing from Normal to Hard and then Elite. I learned how to build by trial & error, occasionally resetting enhancements & making trips to Fred. Every character I've made since that first has benefitted greatly from that initial experience.

If I can offer any advice to new players it's this: don't be afraid to be gimp. In my play experience elitest forumites are the vocal minority, and very few players you run into on the lfm panel will give you **** for "not being worth a party slot." Making mistakes in character design is not a life threatening mistake, nor will it get you banned or black listed. Also, don't be shy or afraid to announce yourself as a new player. Just knowing there's a new player in group makes tolerance for "rookie mistakes" and other such things go way up - that, or at worst the group will let you know they're not well suited to new players, freeing you up to find a party that'll be more fun for you.
    Last edited by PermaBanned; 08-11-2013 at 02:36 PM.
    Now excuse me while I wander off to arm myself with Grilled Cheese Sandwiches and hunker down behind my Armored Beer Refrigerator, while I have the UFO's take control of the Congresional Wives with the help of the International Cocaine Smugglers and the Evil Geniuses for a Better Tomorrow

Trial and Error.
    Magical Rings are well... magical. - Gandalf

The same way I still learn to do raids!!!!!

With all of your kind help!!!

PS:thanks
    " Elize Ryd - Officer @ Band of Gypsys "

" Trapped in my skin - See the nexus in my dreams - But will you bury me within? "

Amaranthe - The NeXuS

Community Member

By having good players tell me the millions of intricacies of the game.

I learned to play DDO, by playing DDO. It was when I realized that yes, I made mistakes (in quests, with character, with many of other game choices) and the only way to fix them back in the day was to re-roll and start from scratch.

Things are alot more forgiving now a days and there's a ton of knowledgeable vets willing to share their knowledge. But, the forums and the wiki didn't help me much until I made mistakes and learned from them.

To new players, don't be afaid to make mistakes. You have alot more options to fix them than us old-timers did. Yea, you might get made fun of or yelled at by elitist jerks (or jerks in general, elite or otherwise) but the worst you can do is ignore them. Find the validity within their vitriol and become a better player for it.
    Officer of Disciples of the Apocalypse on Sarlona
    Himawari Life 3 - 1 FvS | Svipul Life 3 - 1 FvS | Chikaze Life 2 - 2 PAL / 2 MNK / 4 FVS
    Completionist Project: GLaDOS - Life 14 of ??: Bladeforged 'Zeus' - Started 22/02/14

I was living in Japan at the time, so my play time was at odds with most of the Western Hemisphere. As such, I spent a lot of time trying to keep up with members of DDO Korea. They seldom spoke or typed, other than things like "We are powerful, just run, then kill all" or "go go go!" (This was before dungeon alert, so dragging mobs together was the fastest way to completion). I saw most of the quests at about 90 miles per hour and learned almost nothing, but damn if it wasn't fun! I did pick up a bit form the PUGs I joined with English-speaking players, most of whom seemed to have less of a gold/xp per minute agenda than the DDO Korea folks. (Soloing was WAY harder back then, no dungeon scaling, no hirelings, less healing options). After capping my first character and getting mostly to cap on a second, made a 2.0 version of my first character and was immensely more efficient. Later I got into a guild that was definitely about party play and teaching the quests, which is when I actually started to learn raids, etc. Much later, when the game went a bit stagnant (I think we had no new content for over 1 year), I started getting into super-stealth and minimal kill runs (and started the R.O.G.U.E proving grounds). Now there is SO much content, I don't often know what to run.
    Shiz -Proud Officer of the Southern Tenant Farmers Union - Ghallanda
    Shizmonkey, Shizrhino, Shizlazer, Shizpanzee, Shizlion, Shizchopper, Shiztiger, Shizopotamus, Shizphoenix, Shizquito, Shizwolf, Shizfrog
    R.O.G.U.E. Proving Grounds Redux is now defunct. Check out Part Trois

Community Member

Always pike INSIDE the quest

I learned from a good RL friend who was less then forgiving,prone to rage and always had a snide comment to make. I built a hjeal meh bot cleric for my first toon, I took diehard at lvl12 and got introduced to Fred the Mindflayer rather fast after that. I was free to play but people kept saying I was a good hjeal bot and kept buying me passes for content.

I then decided to go vip so I had access to all content (except expansions :P ) and all races unlocked. Once I build my second toon I knew I was hooked on this game.

All I would suggest to a new player is, you will mess up, you will bork your toon, you will make stupid mistakes, you will get ripped on for being 'gimp' because you can't byoh/know the content/know the zerg/ etc etc etc. Just push through it and keep on going. It's worth it.

I learned to play DDO via a lot of trial and error - but also with the help of a lot of the other closed-beta players, back in 05. A foundation of knowing and having played 3.5 rules in our tabletop game helped - but a lot of the differences between a tabletop game and a video game had to be discovered and parsed out by the players. Back then, there was an attitude of share-and-share-alike when it came to information and knowledge.

Making my first character. Somehow, seeing it represented in a video game was a lot more intimidating then a paper character sheet and books.

"Back in the day", when the level cap was 10, I ran into a rough patch around level 8. It took running with some friends and reading/chatting on the forums that helped sort me out in terms of gear and know-how.

Honestly, I've always been on the forums until the past few months. Either as a distraction or to gain info, this was my go-to location.

How to be prepared to support oneself via potions. Healing potions, Remove Curse potions, Lesser Restoration potions, Remove Blindness potions... these things dramatically help any and all players, and are always worthwhile investments even for new players without a lot of money.

Have fun, be patient, and ask questions and learn from mistakes.

Community Member

1: When I wanted to multiclass and looked everything up at the wiki.

2: At level 3 when dying in a lot of traps trying to follow people that just ran through them, until I started soloing again and learned how to avoid them.

3: Nothing there.

4: The most important differences between the difficulties.

5: Do not join any groups until you figured the general gist of the game out on your own. Gameplay in groups is usually way to fast to learn anything if you know almost nothing, which is frustrating.

DDO was the first MMORPG that I tried and although I'd heard of DnD, I hadn't played that either, so it was a big adventure from the start. I learned the game from research and advice mostly but found the following helpful:

1) DDO wiki. Anything I didn't understand I found here, like what attack rolls meant and saves and so on. Massive help for the clueless, like me.

2) DDO Forums. I found these fast and would use the search function to find guides to quests and builds, and would also ask questions in the New players section. This lead to:

2a) hooking up with players on Khyber who were willing to lead teaching runs of particular quests and raids. Very helpful.
    2b) finding links to youtube vids of players running various quests. Another big help.

3) Guildies. I'd been invited to the game by a friend and joined his guild straight off. I also asked a few other friends to join at the same time. It was ideal really as we had a guild leader who gave advice and I had people to run with initially whom I knew and would understand if I messed up a quest.

I really started struggling at level 12, and thought the game was getting harder to play until a guildie handed me a paralyzing weapon (I didnt know they existed ) and told me to have fun in gianthold.

If I could tell brand new players just one thing, it would be bookmark the DDO wiki.

1) When I planned my first "good" build. (By good, I mean a build I planned from scratch, where everything just worked.) And I worked out the damage calculations on it, which was interesting.

2) I kinda struggled from level 1-6, running elite... without toughness, on a 10 con elf. *winces* Hit the "Wall" of 10, made a new toon. What it took to get better... A lot of level 1-7 toons (abandoned), lots of experience.
    Found forums a week later and had an easy 1-20.

3) Looking back, I wish I'd known about the forums earlier.

4) If I'd been taught the concept of self-sufficiency. I remember expecting a cleric to cure everything.
    Was fun learning how wrong that was.

5) I'm torn - on one hand, abuse DDOwiki... On the other, abuse forums. Both have great info, and I can't decide which is better.
    Use both actually. So much information on them, and so little in the damn in-game tutorial.

1) The first time I really started to understand how complex DDO is was when I started raiding. I joined DDO when a couple of friends from university got together. However, we would always started afresh. Never really going to mid-high levels without losing interest in the current class and changing it up. Except me. I decided to make a character out of my circle of friends and got him into my first Shroud. This opened my eyes not only to the diversity of DDO puzzles, but also DDO community, types of appropriate gear and Eberron lore. Not once did I care much about any of that until that moment.

2) I really started struggling at level 5. For my very first character, a dwarf paladin, my struggle happened very early on. Did my first "Where there is smoke..." on elite and got my butt handed to me by the boss fight. That was the first fight I actually thought was outstandingly hard. Nowadays I don't really struggle with levels, just certain classes.

3) Looking back, I really wish I would have known about the Wiki and DDO character generator. I LRed that first dwarf pally 3 times to get him right. He was a poor choice to getting to know DDO. Hence the situation in 2). My best 'get-to-know-game' character was a dex based halfling light monk. Did poor DPS but had outstanding AC and stuns. Giving that extra survivalness I needed.

4) If there is one thing that really would have helped me in the tutorial quests on Korthos, its if they would have taught me about standing still if you draw unwanted aggro or kite them around tank/through AoE spells. Newbs (including my pastself) often get it into their heads to run away when monsters are after them. It's doing no favors for yourself or the group if you're out of range for healing and tank/dps's reach.

5) If I could tell brand new players just one thing, it would be learn to listen and speak up. Don't stay silent but also don't overkill the voice chat. If you have a question because you don't know/understand something, most of DDO community will help.
    Try and take their criticism to heart. It may hurt your feelings but try them out, if it works for you, you're better off. If not, at least you have a justification now.
    Don't know if you should join this group? Explain your situation via Tell. If they say "no", move on, no hard feelings. However once in the group, don't proceed to small talk unnecessarily over voice-chat. People need to concentrate.

Community Member RapkintheRanger's Avatar

Im still learning....

Level 1. no idea what i was doing. didnt get out of korthos for weeks. i played PnP for years, decades, so i sort of knew what i was soing but this was my first online game. took me forever to keep Lars Heydon alive. multiple whipes and frustration. i didnt know about groups or hirlings, or how to target a guy and heal him... it got easier as i leveled up and got some experience

well forums i just manafged to find . wiki has been great.

I wish i had knopw about hires (didnt figure that out until level 5) the auctio nhouse (found that at level 7), guilds and airships (found out around level 7.) that multiple ogre strength items do not stack. (found out at level 8 or so....?

4) If there is one thing that really would have helped me in the tutorial quests on Korthos, its if they would have taught me about ...

see above. i wish i had learned about many aspects of the game in the game rather than going to forums or wiki.

make friends and say you are knew.

i ran into some really nice people on my first life. and wilderness areas are a nice place to meet them.

are we allowed to name names here? in any case A senior player ran me through sorrow dusk, gave me advice on how to become an arcane archer ( i had no idea about prestige enhancements that could be unlocked), and gave me a pair of boots with a nice rage clickie on it. (you know who you are) thanks

Also i had friendly people run me through vale and Gh the first time..... Since then i have learned to help other people. i am always on the lookout for first life first time players that might need some help, advice, gear etc. So dont be afraid to ask for help.

ALSO i would tell people that GEAR is really important. it can make a huge difference iin playability, survivability and overall effectivness. In the old PnP level was really the key. and gear helped.... but hear... its the gear!

Forum Turtle
    2014 DDO Players Council

How I learned to play ddo is fairly simple. Husband and I rolled up toons, and we started exploring the dungeons in Korthos. Which is a really good tutorial of how the game 'thinks' in simplified form.

Then we started exploring harbor quests, and figuring them out by jumping in, reading the quest objectives, and figuring it out as we went. We didn't look for, or want, guides. We had fun figuring it out for ourselves.

Later on I discovered the forums and started learning how to build stronger toons by reading what others had done. Then a helpful player turned me onto the wiki so I was able to figure out where things come from and what gear options were available to me that I didn't already know about from exploring.

It was awesome, and I wouldn't trade it for a 'vet' showing us around for anything. We had more fun and laughter just trying to do for ourselves than anything since. It's still how we learn new quests, we stay away from groups and just explore the dungeon with our little group and figure it out for ourselves. Because it's not only fun, but the knowledge sticks better than something handed to me as an aside in a speed of light run.
    Turtel, Turtley Wrath, Tortoisse, Waterssong, Victerr Creed, Utahraptor, Velocaraptor, Minddancer, Loggerhead, Matamata, Sulcata, Ticerratops, Sierrann, Hankx, Shartelhane

Member of Highlords of Malkier! Help channel, everyone welcome in this channel!

Quote Originally Posted by TrinityTurtle View Post
    How I learned to play ddo is fairly simple. Husband and I rolled up toons, and we started exploring the dungeons in Korthos. Which is a really good tutorial of how the game 'thinks' in simplified form.

Then we started exploring harbor quests, and figuring them out by jumping in, reading the quest objectives, and figuring it out as we went. We didn't look for, or want, guides. We had fun figuring it out for ourselves.

Later on I discovered the forums and started learning how to build stronger toons by reading what others had done. Then a helpful player turned me onto the wiki so I was able to figure out where things come from and what gear options were available to me that I didn't already know about from exploring.

It was awesome, and I wouldn't trade it for a 'vet' showing us around for anything. We had more fun and laughter just trying to do for ourselves than anything since. It's still how we learn new quests, we stay away from groups and just explore the dungeon with our little group and figure it out for ourselves. Because it's not only fun, but the knowledge sticks better than something handed to me as an aside in a speed of light run.
    Thanks for sharing this TrinityTurtle. What you describe is much like how I learned to play DDO. I enjoy learning about the game, and builds, and quests, as much as I enjoy hacking the heads off Kobold Shamans.
    There is no free lunch.

- figuring out the penalties I was taking by multiclassing improperly... this was back on 06-07 so re-roll was only option.

- probably around 8 when lvl cap was 10. Gear was certainly more limited back then.

- wish I would have used the forums more my first few months.

- lol pre-korthos.. I think a tutorial on things like fortification and dr would have been helpful.Maybe not necessarily a quest, but some type of training tool to show the importance of fort...

- this isn't a new game, there is an established veteran community. have a thick skin and listen.. at least for a little while. oh and get fortification as soon as possible
    Argonessenn -Officer of Storm Shadow-
    Olen Anteres

Waiting in the lava pits to chain trip you on the way to Prison of the Planes

The first time I decided that I was going to include a secondary mode of attack (ranged combat) onto a melee character. The feat (including negotiating required BABs with when to take classes with full BAB vs 2/3 BAB), stat point (pre-reqs and when tomes kick in) and enhancement juggles - when planning it out in excel - made a lot of things click in my head.

Playing around at level 20 (the cap at the time) on my first character, a pure dwarven barb with a build plagiarized directly from the forums, made me realise I had learned almost nothing and was a liability in every party I joined. And I couldn't solo for beans.

I read and rolled up a fresh character using Anthios888's Rockin' Robin build as a base and had a phenomenal time that resulted in 3 consecutive wisdom-based monk lives.

I just wish I'd known that politely asking a question in the forums would give actually accurate answers as opposed to the menaces in the /advice channel of the marketplace. The wiki is very useful in planning feats, but I think the fact that the forums not only give you the facts but the peripheral information you'll want to know makes it the #1 place I'd direct new players to.

Stat items of the same enhancement type don't stack. My first Level 20 barb had like 3 +to strength items at cap. The new 'effects' tab does that though, so it's possible it's no longer an issue.

Go to the forums and ask your question there if ddowiki.com doesn't have a 100% definitive answer leaving you with no follow-up questions.

Don't trust /advice channels, or your guildies, because you're new and therefore not in a good guild.

Oh, and rolling a repeater rogue mechanic as your first character is the single best decision you can make. You'll be useful in parties, deal some damage, and not cost yourself a fortune in healing supplies. With the enhancement pass, stealth might even make soloing more difficult quests a possibility.
    Khyber: Aggrim (Completionist!)
    All of my builds are grossly out of date. Just roll a human or drow mechanic / assassin rogue thing.
    Blind insta-kills floating eye balls.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast