Default Celestia and Dex Damage

On lammania, my 13rog/6mnk/1ftr has ninja spy 2, which grants dex to damage for all shortswords. Except, apparently celestia. with that im still stuck using my weak str mod for damage, even though weapon finesse feat still lets me use dex for to-hit with it.

Anyone else seen this bug? has it been mentioned? i know im late to the lamm game this time around so apologies if this is old news.
    Shmuel Xadin Xadins Errand Mohnster Yitzhak

Community Member

Ninjas get Dex to damage with weapons that do slashing or piercing damage.

Celestia does Light damge, NOT slash/pierce.

Looks like that's how it is intended to work.

Geoff.

Hmm, that may be the issue.

Sad, it seems lie a light saber should be able to do dex damage better than just about any other weapon, but that light damage thing has always presented problems with celestia
    Shmuel Xadin Xadins Errand Mohnster Yitzhak

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by GeoffWatson View Post
    Ninjas get Dex to damage with weapons that do slashing or piercing damage.

Celestia does Light damge, NOT slash/pierce.

Looks like that's how it is intended to work.

Geoff.
    I would bug it OP, Celestia does work differently than all other type of weapons, hence they put the blue slot instead of red slot on it. But as with other weapons that do different damage than the normal type that it should, usually the normal modifiers should work. As for Sireth, it uses improved critical bludgeoning.

Unfortunately, due to the fact that Celestia doesn't deal slashing or piercing, it doesn't qualify for the Ninja Training core enhancement.

Celestia should use your highest stat for hit/dmg. Would be interesting.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by jskinner937 View Post
    I would bug it OP, Celestia does work differently than all other type of weapons, hence they put the blue slot instead of red slot on it. But as with other weapons that do different damage than the normal type that it should, usually the normal modifiers should work. As for Sireth, it uses improved critical bludgeoning.
    When you look at imp crit bludgeon it gives you a bunch of feats to imp crit with weapon types that are normally bludgeon weapons. You still get the bonus to Sireth cause you're considered using a q staff.

Doesn't work the same with the ninja spy ability because it doesn't say it gives the bonus to shortswords, says it gives it to piercing and slashing weapons which celestia is not. Is it annoying cause celestia is considered the best/one of the best short swords in the game? Yes but it's working how the tooltip says it is.

It's just odd that strength can make more light damage.

Community Member

For your specific circumstances however, you can throw just a few enhancment points the way of assassin and get dex damage to finessable weapons I think.
    Vlyxnol / Ragedx / Marphist - Completionist of Legit
    "As a tank I feel that plate armor is necessary for my survivability but I also feel that other players need to see my belly button."

Quote Originally Posted by Xorlandu View Post
    When you look at imp crit bludgeon it gives you a bunch of feats to imp crit with weapon types that are normally bludgeon weapons. You still get the bonus to Sireth cause you're considered using a q staff.

Doesn't work the same with the ninja spy ability because it doesn't say it gives the bonus to shortswords, says it gives it to piercing and slashing weapons which celestia is not. Is it annoying cause celestia is considered the best/one of the best short swords in the game? Yes but it's working how the tooltip says it is.
    I'm curious if this exact wording of the tooltip is chosen because the ability can't affect Celestia, or if it's by design that Celestia doesn't benefit from this.
    Toons on Orien: Meinir // Flodur // Twiddler // Thorkar // Impetor // Juliacantor // Minor all Soko Irrlicht
    Quote Originally Posted by Vargouille View Post
    We may or may not intentionally insert in red herrings, purple mackerels, or horses of different colors. Void where prohibited. Not available in all planes of existence.

Hero
    2015 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by karl_k0ch View Post
    I'm curious if this exact wording of the tooltip is chosen because the ability can't affect Celestia, or if it's by design that Celestia doesn't benefit from this.
    I don't think it was intentionally to disallow Celestia. It was likely made to allow more weapon choices. Especially if you take some from the kensai tree and can be centered with other weapons. You would also be able to use Sireth with this as it does both piercing and slashing damage.