Hybrid View

Founder
    2015 DDO Players Council

Arrow Seeking clarification regarding dragonmarks

NEW Beyond the first Least Dragonmarks, the dragonmark feats have been removed. Dragonmark upgrades are available from enhancements. If your character had Dragonmark feats beyond the first, these feats have been removed from your character
    After reading this the Release Notes, it was my understanding that from the feat on a character with all three dragonmarks that the lesser and greater dragonmarks would be removed from the character. I am logged in with a character at the time of this post, and all three still showing on the character sheet.

Please clarify "removed from your character"
    * When will the removal actually happen?
    * Will this appear upon loading that we have a free feat respec like after completing the dragonmark quest?

Concern is by removing this feat you are requiring us to spend points in the racial tree which means just to me spent point totals we will be forced to take enhancement we have no interest in. I have stated this many times on the forums and in all the surveys, RACIAL tree should be based on TOTAL POINTS spent NOT based on per tree requirement.
    The Great Gnome Conspiracy was here!

Community Member

Two counterpoints....one, even in the current Enhancement system you're forced to spend points on things you don't want, like Improved Heal, to qualify for some PrEs. Two, you're getting two Feat slots back - and I think 99% of the playerbase would rather have 2 extra Feats than those 5-10 extra APs.

Founder
    2015 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by droid327 View Post
    Two counterpoints....one, even in the current Enhancement system you're forced to spend points on things you don't want, like Improved Heal, to qualify for some PrEs. Two, you're getting two Feat slots back - and I think 99% of the playerbase would rather have 2 extra Feats than those 5-10 extra APs.
    Excuse me, but taking useless things to get the second and third dragonmarks is not worth the trade off of two feat. It means you miss something else that an enhancement could have given you instead. Would you prefer to take improved healing having to forgo additional damage or AC?

Community Member Ironclans_evil_twin's Avatar

So what happens to drow in this? On live for some time now Drow have been able to access Elf marks of shadow. Not sure if WAI but its been a long time so i assume it was intentional.

Quote Originally Posted by Lerincho View Post
    Excuse me, but taking useless things to get the second and third dragonmarks is not worth the trade off of two feat. It means you miss something else that an enhancement could have given you instead. Would you prefer to take improved healing having to forgo additional damage or AC?

I am sorry but have you actually looked at the racial enhancements properly?

Also 7 AP is not bad at all for the cost of getting all dragonmarks back. Yes you need to spend some other points in the tree but you can use the base line for that 1 AP to move to the next tier for the dragonmarks.
    Schadel TR FVS | Whathitme 2TR human stalwart tank |Whatwas TR Barbarian/Fighter--FuryoftheWild | Kpavio Monk/fighter| Whatsnyp Artificer | Skullzz all purpose Druid| Whatcast elf AM| Nobuffforu Acrobat Warchanter

Founder
    2015 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by skullzz View Post
    I am sorry but have you actually looked at the racial enhancements properly?

Also 7 AP is not bad at all for the cost of getting all dragonmarks back. Yes you need to spend some other points in the tree but you can use the base line for that 1 AP to move to the next tier for the dragonmarks.
    I do apologize that you do not seem to understand the problem here. The enhancement pass was intended to stop having useless enhancements just to get to the other as the previous version had limitations. This time around they wanted to create more options for players, and forcing them to put points into something that is not wanted goes against this philisophy.

Let's play a new game, you stop telling me how I am supposed to feel about this, and I continue to try and get clarification from the developers on what is actually going on. Based on the text within the Release Notes it states that those that used the 2 feat for Lesser and Greater Dragonmarks would have them removed, as indicated in my original post this is not in fact what has occurred. I logged into a character with all three dragonmarks, Least, Lesser, and Greater in which I was anticipating not seeing Lesser or Greater anymore and to my surprise they were still listed on the character sheet.

As my initial post indicated I would like clarification if what I saw was working as intended or if this had not be implemented yet. If you do not have the official answer to this, tell me how I should feel or what I should do does not address the question that has been asked and I would appreciate it if you would allow people with the knowledge to actually provide the input.

Thank you.

I do apologize that you do not seem to understand the problem here. The enhancement pass was intended to stop having useless enhancements just to get to the other as the previous version had limitations. This time around they wanted to create more options for players, and forcing them to put points into something that is not wanted goes against this philisophy.
    I am sorry but you do not understand that the enhancement pass (from all dev posts and lama devchat channel) is to make progression in enhancements easier to see. Not, stop having useless enhancements.

There are way more options that a player can get. If they want something they need to invest to get it. However, the trade off is those AP in that one thing and not other options. (trade-off is the name of the game)

I do agree with the feats though with needing how this will go live (may actually be a bug but we don't know how it is supposed to work). My fgt/mnk Stalwart tank needed to use the LR20 token to get rid of the lesser and greater dragonmark feats.
    Schadel TR FVS | Whathitme 2TR human stalwart tank |Whatwas TR Barbarian/Fighter--FuryoftheWild | Kpavio Monk/fighter| Whatsnyp Artificer | Skullzz all purpose Druid| Whatcast elf AM| Nobuffforu Acrobat Warchanter

After reading this the Release Notes, it was my understanding that from the feat on a character with all three dragonmarks that the lesser and greater dragonmarks would be removed from the character. I am logged in with a character at the time of this post, and all three still showing on the character sheet.
    Quote Originally Posted by FreeMemory View Post
    The way I saw it was that the Lesser & Greater feats still exist, and can still be taken. It appears simply that there is alternate means to obtain Lesser & Greater through the enhancement system.
    Just rolled a human character on Lamannia: leveling up, only the Least Dragonmark feats were available.

As to why old characters still have all the three feats, the free LR+20 is probably supposed to take care of that; as a side note, did you check whether your feats actually work?
    Last edited by Rusty_Can; 08-12-2013 at 11:18 AM. Reason: Spelling.
    On Thelanis: Hallelujah (Spellsinger) - Jerryrigged Juggernaut (caster FvS) - Sepulchral (Druid) - Chopchopchop (Warlock) - Alleyshadow (retired gimped monkcher). Formerly on Keeper : Misericordia (Thug) - Mumbo Jumbo (Battle Caster) - Infernal Can (WF Kinda Cleric) - Halleluyah (Melee Spellsinger).

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty_Can View Post
    Just rolled a human character on Lamannia: leveling up, only the Least Dragonmark feats were available.
    Often release notes are faster than reality
    For example according to release notes to 18 patch 2, "THE" should be fixed... It probably will ... in the future. And Dragonmarks too.

Thelanis: Shewind the Airbender (Sorc20/Epic5 -> Bard20/Epic8 -> Rog20/Epic8/Epic2 -> Harper_FvS20/Epic4 -> Art19), Azaxe (Rog18/Wiz2 -> Sorc20/Epic6)

The removed feats should become the "free feat respec" feats that Fred will swap out for you.

Quote Originally Posted by KookieKobold View Post
    The removed feats should become the "free feat respec" feats that Fred will swap out for you.
    Thanks for the feedback.

Why remove the feats? I don't see how giving the player a choice between using feat slots and using AP could be a bad thing. More freedom and all that.
    Rognac / Oesel / Zaegroenhali / Maloich / Eriaolys / Voidmind / Pastacide / Orangewing / Veraya / Sisutu / Peletis / Lacrimis / Clipped / Somniloquy / Hypnagogic / Othafa

Khyber / The Hand of the Black Tower

Founder
    2015 DDO Players Council

Thank you for the confirmation.

Booo!!! My halfling fighter has plenty of feats... AP is tighter than feats for me.

I hate this change... You didn't make dragonmarks any stronger at all, and now they are going to be more of a negative drain on my character.

The healing dragonmarks are pretty solid in 1-20 game... but they're not worth as much in epic... In epic elite, they are near worthless.

They should regen or become heal, mass or something... 4 heals just isn't worth all the action points in epic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Troll View Post
    We are no more d000m'd then we were a week ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eth View Post
    When you stop caring about xp/min this game becomes really fun. Trust me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary_Gygax
    No single character has all the skills and resources needed to guarantee success in all endeavors; favorable results can usually only be achieved through group effort. No single player character wins, in the sense that he or she defeats all other player characters; the goal of the forces of good can only be attained through cooperation, so that victory is a group achievement rather than an individual one.

Quote Originally Posted by Thrudh View Post
    Booo!!! My halfling fighter has plenty of feats... AP is tighter than feats for me.

I hate this change... You didn't make dragonmarks any stronger at all, and now they are going to be more of a negative drain on my character.

The healing dragonmarks are pretty solid in 1-20 game... but they're not worth as much in epic... In epic elite, they are near worthless.

They should regen or become heal, mass or something... 4 heals just isn't worth all the action points in epic.
    Not being an official, I can only guess, but: I think they are not trying to balance heroic level abilities to epic content, and would instead point you to epic destiny abilities to cover your healing in epic content. As you said, pretty solid in 1-20 content, but next to useless in epic. I think that philosophy, frankly, sucks, and I dislike a great deal about how they have handled the new enhancement system, especially the racial trees. I agree with what others have said about their progression needing to be total points spent rather than points in tree. Little to nothing in the ratial trees is worth devoting a whole tree's worth of points to acquiring. This will be alot worse that what we have live... even if the UI is shinier.
    Matt Walsh:
    But Truth is eternal, so it can never be old or new. It never ‘was’ or ‘will be.’ It just ‘is.’ It always ‘is.’