This quote from The Troll got me thinking:
Here are my thoughts:
1. Commit and communicate the max level planned and maintain that for a long time 2+years (lvl 28 is a good stopping point imo). If you don't do this, we will be back in the same situaion 6 months after level cap in increased again.
2. Utilize the "True Elite" difficulty that is hinted at for Saga's in the quest completions log. True Elite should automatically take the quest difficulty to max level (ie 28) similar to the old "Epic" difficulty.
3. Create an upgrade path for all the old epic gear (lvl 20 stuff) that would give it a level 28 version. In most cases this will be as easy as adding some slots and/or upgrading the numerical value of the abilities a bit.
4. To upgrade the items they will need to already be an Epic item, and would need ingredients that are gained from running the associated Saga or Raid.
5. Saga's need to be created for all of the epic adventure packs, completing the saga on epic difficulties will ensure a high percentage chance (maybe 15% EN/25% EH/40% EE/75% True Elite) of giving the seal/shard you want as a end reward.
6. MOTU items can be upgraded similarly by simply adding slots for the True Elite version
7. True Elite XP should be significantly higher for all quests (think 50% bonus or more) which will give additional incentive and help reduce the ED grind, or maybe in some way play into your epic TR plans.
For example, True Elite Bracers of the Claw might be ML 28 have the following abilities: Elite Vulkoor's Might Gives +5 or 6 damage and 30% extra threat, Insightful Con +3, Fortification 125%, and maybe throw in a yellow slot
It should be easy for a item designer to upgrade all of the old epic items as such
This will have the effect of adding a metric ton of (old)new Fun content to end game and give a wide variety of gearing options while leveraging the existing code and should be fairly easy to accomplish.