Community Member

Default Augment slots on Star of Irian & Muck's Doom?

I don't have a good feel for how useful the various elemental damage types are, nor for what else is out there in red and yellow weapon-appropriate augments. So:

Star of Irian (ML 8, blunt, holy, righteous) has a red slot and an orange slot. I immediately think undead-beater, and that leads me to immediately think about a fire-damage augment. But I know the experts often find less-obvious elemental damages are more useful.

- Given that I have no GS on the server in question, should I treat this as a good general-purpose weapon and not just as an anti-undead one?
    - What would you put in the red slot, as an undead-beater?
    - What would you put in it, as a general purpose weapon?
    - What would you put in the orange slot and why?

(This weapon would be used either by a melee type or a cleric, in my case.)

Muck's Doom has a red slot. What's the most useful type of damage augment to add to it?

Thanks for any responses!

Community Member

On the Star of Irian, I would say acid damage would be a solid choice. There are no undead that are immune to acid that I can think of. Also, acid hits trolls harder than fire from what I have seen (they seem to be just a bit more vulnerable to acid than fire) and there are few other monsters that are immune or having resistance to acid.

As far Muck's Doom, I would suggest either acid or cold. Gray Ooze is immune to fire. Electricity can split some puddings (ochre pudding comes to mind).

If I remember correctly, acid damages most oozes, with a few exceptions, so that's probably your best bet for the Muckdoom.

If you're going to be using the Star on a cleric, I'd suggest putting at least one Spell Power augment into it. Maybe Force, for your cometfalls and blade barriers. Adding a spell power augment will also give the weapon an Implement bonus to universal spell power. If it's only going to be used as a Skelly beater, then acid is the way to go, in both slots. The damage augments will stack in a weapon, even if they're the same type. You could also slot Silver, but you'd need to be level 16 to use it, and you can probably find a better undead beater by that point.

Community Member

Keep in mind, in two short levels you'll want to switch to a +1 XXX of Disruption for undead, anyway - so I don't think building an undead beater is worthwhile. However, with 1.5[W], it does make a nice NON-undead beater, for when you just need pure DPS and you cant use a Disrupting/Banishing/Smiting weapon.

That being said, there's not a whole lot of options for offense in an augment slot, anyway...I'd go with Acid and Lightning, they're the most generally useful elemental types, and you'll break Trollish regen with Acid too.

The Star and Obsidian Dagger are great caster sticks for leveling. Dual wield. Enhance 4 lines.
    "The lion cannot protect himself from traps, and the fox cannot defend himself from wolves. One must therefore be a fox to recognize traps, and a lion to frighten wolves." Niccolò Machiavelli
    Thelanis: Arbix Completionist (23rd Life), ArbySoul, ArbyBarb, ArbyPriest, Arbificer etc.

Quote Originally Posted by CheeseMilk View Post
    If I remember correctly, acid damages most oozes, with a few exceptions, so that's probably your best bet for the Muckdoom.

If you're going to be using the Star on a cleric, I'd suggest putting at least one Spell Power augment into it. Maybe Force, for your cometfalls and blade barriers. Adding a spell power augment will also give the weapon an Implement bonus to universal spell power. If it's only going to be used as a Skelly beater, then acid is the way to go, in both slots. The damage augments will stack in a weapon, even if they're the same type. You could also slot Silver, but you'd need to be level 16 to use it, and you can probably find a better undead beater by that point.
    Quote Originally Posted by droid327 View Post
    That being said, there's not a whole lot of options for offense in an augment slot, anyway...I'd go with Acid and Lightning, they're the most generally useful elemental types, and you'll break Trollish regen with Acid too.
    Biggest issue with Red Slots - Low use at Lvls 1-15

I'd ask the Devs to consider:

a) DR Breakers -
    I} Reduce Silver to Min Lvl 8 {First Vampire is in Bloody Crypt - First Devils Chronoscope - Both Lvl 8 on Elite}
    II} Move Byeshk to Min Lvl 16 {Absolutely no need for this before the Madness Chain from my Experience!
    III} Reduce Adamantine to Min Lvl 8 {Thanks to BB we have to run Elite VoN 3 at Lvl 11 Max these days so Min Lvl 12 is just rubbing Salt into the Wounds!}
    III} Good - This is weaker than Righteousness on Random Loot for goodness sake!
    Min Lvl should be 4 NOT 12!

b) Elemental Dmg -
    I} Remove 1HP Dmg entirely - Drop each Dmg amount down to the next lowest Min Lvl - 1D2 at Min Lvl 1 etc.
    II} Instead of 1d10 Give us a Min Lvl 20 2-12 Augment and a Min Lvl 24 2-16 Augment {A Min Lvl 28 3-24 Augment wouldn't go amiss either}.

c) Extras - Please give us -
    Min Lvl 1-28 - Vertigo, Stunning, Shatter, Tendon Slice with Bonuses applicable to each Min Lvl.
    Min Lvl 4 - Ghost Touch, Slow Burst, Keen
    Min Lvl 8 - Maladroit, Impact, Lesser Banes
    Min Lvl 12 - Finesse, Everbright, Banes
    Min Lvl 16 - Paralyzing, Greater Banes
    Min Lvl 20 - Improved Destruction, Improved Shattermantle
    Min Lvl 24 - Epic Banishing, Epic Smiting
    Min Lvl 28 - Epic Vorpal, Epic Disruption

Anyway - Back to the OP's Question:

On a Min Lvl 8 Weapon like Star of Irian or a Muck's Doom your best bet currently is:

Star of Irian - Cold Iron for Threnal/Sorrowdusk/Invaders and Acid {Blackbones are Immune to Fire - No Undead are Immune to Acid}.

Muck's Doom - Acid {Only Oozes that are Immue to Acid are Arcanes Oozes and they're only an issue in ONE Quest at this Level - The Prisoner}

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by FranOhmsford View Post
    III} Reduce Adamantine to Min Lvl 8 {Thanks to BB we have to run Elite VoN 3 at Lvl 11 Max these days so Min Lvl 12 is just rubbing Salt into the Wounds!}
    I think you mean Von 4 as there are a few golems in there. Von 3 has a Marute which has DR/chaotic not adamantine (though there is an iron golem with one of the opts, it can be avoided easily enough).

Quote Originally Posted by Gremmlynn View Post
    I think you mean Von 4 as there are a few golems in there. Von 3 has a Marute which has DR/chaotic not adamantine (though there is an iron golem with one of the opts, it can be avoided easily enough).
    No - I actually thought the Marut in VoN 3 was Chaotic + Addy

I could be wrong and yes VoN 4 has a number of Iron Golems so either way - Min Lvl 12 is too high!

Community Member

Default Thanks!

Thanks for all the useful responses, folks -- an example of the forums at their best.

Would like to rep you all but for some reason the interface isn't showing me rep buttons!

Quote Originally Posted by FranOhmsford View Post
    Biggest issue with Red Slots - Low use at Lvls 1-15

I'd ask the Devs to consider:
    Fran, you might want to put your suggestions in a thread of their own, as I wouldn't count on the devs to ever view this thread (based on the title I gave it, since this isn't a strictly dev-targeted section). And they seemed to me like good suggestions.
    Last edited by Arlannis; 08-12-2013 at 08:46 PM. Reason: clarifying

Community Member

As mentioned previously, damage dice low level red augments are very weak, you dont even get a full 1d6 unil level 16 I believe.

If you cast anything at all even a little bit you will probably get more bang for your buck slotting a spell power augment - at least those keep up reasonably well at their respective levels. It can be a good way to slot spell power on a class that maybe doesnt usually gear caster equipment.
    Vlyxnol / Ragedx / Marphist - Completionist of Legit
    "As a tank I feel that plate armor is necessary for my survivability but I also feel that other players need to see my belly button."