Question In The Flesh, Endfight on Elite. I am sick of failing it. Please help.

Hi all.

Like the title says, I am sick of failing the end fight on elite for In The Flesh.
    The quest itself is a cakewalk and then suddenly it just gets stupid crazy hard. On Hard the endfight is really simple, but on Elite the Beholders come out and mess everything up.
    IMHO this quest needs to be made harder and the endfight a bit softer. Perhaps mini-beholders instead.
    I am really sick of being useless for ages when I have been mindblasted by the Mindflayers.

I have read the wiki. I dont have banishing weapons but I do have Chaotic Good for the Mindflayers and Beholders.
    Any tips or recommendations on how to beat this stupid end fight ?

Thanks.
    Real join date: Update 7

Quote Originally Posted by humbleroller View Post
    Hi all.

Like the title says, I am sick of failing the end fight on elite for In The Flesh.
    The quest itself is a cakewalk and then suddenly it just gets stupid crazy hard. On Hard the endfight is really simple, but on Elite the Beholders come out and mess everything up.
    IMHO this quest needs to be made harder and the endfight a bit softer. Perhaps mini-beholders instead.
    I am really sick of being useless for ages when I have been mindblasted by the Mindflayers.

I have read the wiki. I dont have banishing weapons but I do have Chaotic Good for the Mindflayers and Beholders.

Thanks.
    well im not sure what level you're doing it at and if you're solo or group. So if you're doing a group i found it best to send 1-2 to handle the mindlflayers and beholder. it really helps if people are self sufficient in this fight because no telling if anyone is going to be able to help you really. as long as the group works together you will do just fine.

personally i like its really hard. its a challenge for once and it requires actual teamwork. i've had only one instance it was smooth as hell 0 deaths. its because we worked quite well together.

Quote Originally Posted by arkonas View Post
    well im not sure what level you're doing it at and if you're solo or group.
    As a group of 5 or 6.
    1 healer, 1 arcane. 3 or 4 melee. An arti is always welcome.

Apart from good communication, can anyone recommend a tactic to use?

Changing the beholders to mini-beholders wouldn't do anything. The major change of the last fight is named anti-magic field.

You need to keep two buffs always on to avoid risking dying: Protection from Evil (to prevent Greater Command) and Freedom of Movement (to prevent Hold Person). The first you can buy from the market potion vendor for a dime, but the second requires a full party rebuff after each beholder spawn.

Every time I completed it at level, I had two people with two vital functions: A beholder killer, and a FoM buffer. A ranged character is better for the first role, while the second must be someone with Freedom of Movement (Bard, cleric, FvS, druid or ranger).

The beholder killer will NOT attack any other mob in the fight, no matter how "easy" to dispatch. His focus must be on locating the beholder as soon as it spawn, and kill it before it can debuff the party. That is all he does. Beholders only spawn in single numbers, so you don't risk killing one while another debuff the party. This role is vital, and he should have some kind of negative energy protection (Silver flame necklace, Hunter of the Dead, WF) and somewhat decent will save (to avoid holds and commands from the mindflayers)

The FoM giver will stick with the main group, but he is NOT responsible to keep them healed. If he is good enough, he can dabble on it too, but his main focus is: As soon as he see the antimagic field hitting him (that's why he should stick with the group), look at the beholder. As soon as the beholder is dead, he will hit everyone again with FoM (and magic circle against evil, if prepared), starting with the low will classes (rogue, fighter, barbarian).

The other party members just fight the giant mindflayer as if it was Hard. Nothing changes on the fight. If you do it right, and the party DPS is decent, you probably will get one beholder spawn per phase, until he starts to summon the pods for his major attack. From there on, you can focus on him.

Soloing this fight on elite requires a character with celestial will. 30+ at level should be enough to only fail on holds/command on a 1, but you should still dispatch the beholders quick enough so they dont level drain you to the death. Having a stack of Eveningstar Restoration potions also help with the charisma damage the mindflayers deal.

Good luck.
    Main: Amossa d'Cannith, Sarlona, casually trying Completionist [<o>]

Almost-never-played-alts: Arquera - Chapolin - Fabber - Herweg - Mecanico - Tenma

I want DDO to be a better game. Those are my personal suggestions on: Ammunition, Archmage, Combat Stances, Deities, Dispel Magic, Epic Destiny Map, Fast Healing, Favor, Favored Enemy, Half-elf Enhancements, Monk Stances, Past Life, Potency, Potions, Ranger Spells, Summons, Tiered Loot.

Community Member

As a group of 5 or 6.
    1 healer, 1 arcane. 3 or 4 melee. An arti is always welcome.

Apart from good communication, can anyone recommend a tactic to use?
    Yes. Clear trash when it spawns. Seems like a simple idea, but if you're in a group, I don't understand the problems you're having. The only time I find the quest difficult is soloing it on elite. When trash spawns, kill it. The beholders aren't dangerous. The only thing that could get you killed is to get stunned. But this would have to happen 5 or 6 times, if you're in a group of six, and you should be able to kill trash faster than that.

Community Member

I think I have failed this at level one time on elite honestly...and I do it almost every life. Its really quite easy if people do as they are supposed to. Here are some pointers:

1.) First priority should be to kill beholders.
    2.) Next kill any mind-flayers.
    3.) Let the rest of the trash come to you behind a cocoon. Everyone should be behind the same cocoon.
    4.) After the second cocoon is destroyed, everyone go after giant min-flayer until his shield rsumes.
    5.) At this point the trash spawns start over again. Beholders, Flayers, Cocoon for balance of trash.
    6.) At about 40% (and again at 20%), there will be 3 fleshy barriers that appear in front of the giant flayer. Destroy these ASAP or likely it will be a
    wipe. Don't worry they have very little HPs. One strategy is to have a caster drop an AOE in front of the mindflayer at all times when his health is
    close, but personally I just bird dog him at this point and get ready to kill.
    7.) If your DPS is good you should you should be able to finish him the first time. If not repeat again.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by jskinner937 View Post
    6.) At about 40% (and again at 20%), there will be 3 fleshy barriers that appear in front of the giant flayer. Destroy these ASAP or likely it will be a wipe. Don't worry they have very little HPs.
    This is the trick, the key to making it easy.

For beholder, go with absorption. Pale Lavender absorbs the anti-magic debuff; you still can't cast spells, but you don't lose your buffs. Meaning a lowly deathward clicky (visor of the fleshrender) is all you need to prevent level drain. Pale lavendar is exclusive, but you can also grab a scarab of spell absorption (check the ah) for another 50 charges of absorption.

When the beholders get absorbed and the fleshy barriers are taken out quickly, the quest goes from extreme challenge to just pretty hard. Quite doable, no special team tactics required. As batman shows us, all you need is to be prepared.

Thanks all. I am going to attempt it again but this time be more selective with who comes with me and assign jobs to people.

Thanks all. I am going to attempt it again but this time be more selective with who comes with me and assign jobs to people.
    Easiest completion ever.....conj and enchant WF AM. The rest of the team doesnt matter. Being AM, he can spam webs and hypnos even in the antimagic. Spam webs and then stay inside a single dancing ball. Ball handles the trash, while the webs should get the beholders.
    Cannith - Sorrion - Glassbones - Galodon - Farsnipe
    Sarlona - Glassbones

Hi all.

Thanks.
    Unsupressed Pale Lavender Ioun Stone:
    http://ddowiki.com/page/Item:Pale_Lavender_Ioun_Stone

Will allow your buffs to remain during antimagic. If one of these is not available consider:

Scarab of Spell Absorption:
    http://ddowiki.com/page/Item:Scarab_of_Spell_Absorption

Eye of the Beholder:
    http://ddowiki.com/page/Eye_of_the_Beholder

Mantle of the Worldshaper:
    http://ddowiki.com/page/Mantle_of_the_Worldshaper

Silver Flame Tailsman:
    http://ddowiki.com/page/Silver_Flame_Talisman

Beholders are a priority to take out of action quickly. If their antimagic isn't problematic enough, their disintegrates and finger of death casts will be. Mindflayers are the next priority as they have the ability to drain your charisma, or simply mindblast you and have lunch. I almost always ignore the renders. If someone is designated to kite or dance them, cool.

Everyone should have deathblock, and at least lesser restoration pots for stat damage. The ability to self heal is superior in this fight. Even if that's by pots...

Use the cocoons. When they break they heal, restore stat damage, and give sp. Keep an eye out for when the boss is vulnerable. It's usually after two cocoons are broken. The verbal cues from the dm voice do not always inform you as they are off synch.

Lastly, keep an eye out for when the three pods spawn in front of the boss. If you do not destroy them quickly folks are in for a world of hurt. Alternatively, if they are destroyed quickly he is stunned for a short time and vulnerable.

Pets grab the boss' aggro and make his attacks unpredictable. I disallow them on runs I lead. Keeping the party on the same cocoon, as someone said earlier, standing in a web or disco ball is ideal. Spreading out causes issues if the person with aggro isn't in position to break a cocoon.
    Khyber: Evandus, Halfdeadd, Licoricewhip, Sawyn, Elkabongg, Brothanumsi, Soulbro, Cromix.
    And an army of gimp experiments!

Huge fan of MrCow and half of my quest "knowledge" comes from his videos. MrCow's solo elite on robot sorc

Charm, instakill, resto pots for charisma drain, spell absorb, SF neck like in every quest on melee with **** saves.
    Shahang Nezhat Bellezza Wipekin Farida of Ghallanda

This is a quest that requires communication and teamwork. As much as I like challenge and wish there was more of it in quests, I do think elite at level is a bit too difficult. The quest itself isn't that hard, but the end fight is just too crazy. I would like to see that fight toned down a bit. I have only completed it twice at level out of the couple dozen times I have tried it in a pug or guild group. Most players will do the chain than wait until 18 to run it on hard or get a level 18 to do it on hard to not lose BB.

Banishing weapons is good. A SF necklace would be used up kinda fast, so a PL stone would be good and other back up spell absorption items. I wouldn't be upset if a blue bar didn't drink pots or expected them to, but if they did I would help compensate. The bubbles sometimes aren't enough when things go sideways in there. Its good if there's 2 self sufficient players dealing with the beholders that should be brought down quickly so people can cast. 2 on the mindflayer to be brought down as quick as possible. The longer the fight is, the more likely things go wrong and more resources used. At least 1 playing nanny makes a big difference. Plenty of raise/res scrolls. There will be deaths and probably a lot.

Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by anivaj View Post
    Easiest completion ever.....conj and enchant WF AM. The rest of the team doesnt matter. Being AM, he can spam webs and hypnos even in the antimagic. Spam webs and then stay inside a single dancing ball. Ball handles the trash, while the webs should get the beholders.
    How does one web a flying eyeball? W/out being Spider-man, anyway...

A good bard is helpful vs. beholders, because Fascinate works fine within antimagic. Song of Capering reduces almost any beholder to a helpless whirling ball of antimagic.

Is it necessary to kill the adds, or is CCing them indefinitely sufficient? Been a while since I did ItF on E.

Quote Originally Posted by unbongwah View Post
    How does one web a flying eyeball? W/out being Spider-man, anyway...

A good bard is helpful vs. beholders, because Fascinate works fine within antimagic. Song of Capering reduces almost any beholder to a helpless whirling ball of antimagic.

Is it necessary to kill the adds, or is CCing them indefinitely sufficient? Been a while since I did ItF on E.
    It's not necessary in the sense that it's tied to the bosses vulnerability or quest completion. Indefinite CC does work. I just prefer taking the beholders/mindflayers out of the equation. Renders I ignore as they are nearly harmless.
    Khyber: Evandus, Halfdeadd, Licoricewhip, Sawyn, Elkabongg, Brothanumsi, Soulbro, Cromix.
    And an army of gimp experiments!

Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by taurean430 View Post
    It's not necessary in the sense that it's tied to the bosses vulnerability or quest completion. Indefinite CC does work. I just prefer taking the beholders/mindflayers out of the equation. Renders I ignore as they are nearly harmless.
    Like I said, been a while since I ran it, but my dim recollection is the respawning mobs get tougher with each wave. My Virt bards can mez pretty much anything for several seconds; so simply CCing the first wave ensures that even if they break the mez, at least I don't have to deal with the next, tougher wave of enemies.

I may be wrong, but I don't remember their spawn being based on the death of the previous wave. If you don't kill them, you'll get overwhelmed by their numbers. Once I was focusing on boss duty, and recalled being mind blasted by half a dozen mindflayers at once.
    Main: Amossa d'Cannith, Sarlona, casually trying Completionist [<o>]

Almost-never-played-alts: Arquera - Chapolin - Fabber - Herweg - Mecanico - Tenma

I want DDO to be a better game. Those are my personal suggestions on: Ammunition, Archmage, Combat Stances, Deities, Dispel Magic, Epic Destiny Map, Fast Healing, Favor, Favored Enemy, Half-elf Enhancements, Monk Stances, Past Life, Potency, Potions, Ranger Spells, Summons, Tiered Loot.

Community Member

Charm the first wave works pretty well looking at rcows vid.
    I once did a smooth duorun on elite at lvl (my lvl 16 monk with a 15/2 cleric/artificer). Assigning a monk to quickly take out beholder/mindflayers with quivering palm and/or banishing fists works fine, while a divine can blade barrier kite other trash. Other than that it was very easy. Either way gonna give it a shot solo on my FvS/1 wiz soon and'll see if I find any new tactics
    Ainevek: 9/6/2 FvS/ranger/paladin (life 2/?) Shinweng: 8/5/2 monk/wizard/paladin (life 4/3?Abaranda: 18/2 FvS/monk (life 7/?) Kevenia: 6 sorcerer (life 2/?)
    Two handed chruchers, Ghallanda

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by taurean430 View Post
    Unsupressed Pale Lavender Ioun Stone:
    http://ddowiki.com/page/Item:Pale_Lavender_Ioun_Stone

Will allow your buffs to remain during antimagic. If one of these is not available consider:

Scarab of Spell Absorption:
    http://ddowiki.com/page/Item:Scarab_of_Spell_Absorption

Eye of the Beholder:
    http://ddowiki.com/page/Eye_of_the_Beholder

Mantle of the Worldshaper:
    http://ddowiki.com/page/Mantle_of_the_Worldshaper

Silver Flame Tailsman:
    http://ddowiki.com/page/Silver_Flame_Talisman

Beholders are a priority to take out of action quickly. If their antimagic isn't problematic enough, their disintegrates and finger of death casts will be. Mindflayers are the next priority as they have the ability to drain your charisma, or simply mindblast you and have lunch. I almost always ignore the renders. If someone is designated to kite or dance them, cool.

Everyone should have deathblock, and at least lesser restoration pots for stat damage. The ability to self heal is superior in this fight. Even if that's by pots...

Use the cocoons. When they break they heal, restore stat damage, and give sp. Keep an eye out for when the boss is vulnerable. It's usually after two cocoons are broken. The verbal cues from the dm voice do not always inform you as they are off synch.

Lastly, keep an eye out for when the three pods spawn in front of the boss. If you do not destroy them quickly folks are in for a world of hurt. Alternatively, if they are destroyed quickly he is stunned for a short time and vulnerable.

Pets grab the boss' aggro and make his attacks unpredictable. I disallow them on runs I lead. Keeping the party on the same cocoon, as someone said earlier, standing in a web or disco ball is ideal. Spreading out causes issues if the person with aggro isn't in position to break a cocoon.
    Quote. Great post
    Yeela - Favored Soul Healer and Nuker
    Xylah - Pally Arcane Archer
    Redsonjah - Barbarian DPS

I know the removal of the mindflayers is very important in this fight. I think if any are left that is when he does that massive psionic attack. i might be wrong on that. I know normally when that thing hits you're pretty much dead. maybe im wrong. Does anyone know if he needs the mindflayers to activate it?