Community Member TheLegendOfAra's Avatar

Default Melee Sorc, viable with the new enhancements?

So, I have my TR sorc currently sitting at level 16(14sorc/2Monk) And I just can't be bothered to cap her as a caster. Which bothers me because she has quite a bit of GS, and gear on her, not to mention a full set of Epic gear waiting for her when she hits both 20, and 25 respectively.

I recently acquired 2 Dynastic Falcata's and got the idea of making her either a 16Sorc/2Monk/2Fighter, or 16Sorc/2Monk/2Pali(Super saves version) Cha based Melee DPS toon, who still retains some of her casting abilities. She would be helf, and the fighter version would take the pali dile, and the pali version would take the fighter dile.

Now, my question is, as a flavor build I know I could make this work with the current enhancements, but will something like this work with the new enhancements? What kind of difference am I really looking at with a build like this between the current enhancements, and the new ones?

Also, since this is a half elf who UMD's heal scrolls, am I going to be taking a hit to self heals? I remember seeing something about sorcs not getting scroll mastery anymore? If this is the case would it warrant a 2 Rogue splash instead of the above builds?

Any advice is appreciated. Just looking to make a fun melee sorc so I can cap her, and maybe TR again into something better.
    Araphina Skycrow - 15Paladin/3Ranger/2Fighter (Life10/25) 5xRanger, 3xPaladin, 2xMonk
    Araphell - Arasin - Arathaes - Arawyn - Aravein
    Guild: Fors Fortis;Guild of Won, & VENOM @ Argo
    "And we learn, as we age; We've learned nothing! And my body still aches."

Community Member

How about 16 Sorc/2 Monk/2 Rgr, since you're going to TWF with the Falcatas?

From Tempest tree, you get +2 dmg, +3 dodge, +10 PRR, +3 Reflex, 30% Haste Boost and a clickable +3[W] attack with a stacking DOT...you lose two Fighter feats, of course, but can you make the build work without them?

Community Member Ironclans_evil_twin's Avatar

Certainly more viable after the pass than before it.

Dynastic Falcatta's with their CHA/CHA to hit and Damage... after that you need hit points and enough defenses to take some hits...

Everything after that is just a balancing act of how much melee DPS you want to do versus nuking versus survivability...

The new pass will make the most shallow melee splash workable to get low hanging fruit enhancements (level 3 to get tier three).

Maybe you saw my Bladeforged Dynastic falcatta 2 Pali 18 Sorc air savant idea, also a good choice.

Another one is going to allow you to wield any weapon you want... PDK Iconic Charisma based melee... 1 Fighter has to be taken... after that it's all up to you. Shame you can't make a PDK iconic Paladin 2 18 Sorc, that would probably be the way to go for a more melee oriented sorc.

OTOH if you dismiss DC's and Spell penn and use almost only no save spells you can probably deeply multiclass, as the Pass is very much condusive to deeper splits than the old system was. Of course at that point you don't need DC's so Charisma based becomes pointless. and you could build a STR based weapon using PM/Archmagi with force SLA's and Shiradi procs.

I'm serious be ready for stuff that was instantly gimp labled before the pass to be at least viable after the pass.

Also be ready for some stuff that used to be the poster child for "a gimp multiclass" to be flavor of the month stuff. I'm thinking deep caster/caster multiclasses that end up with far better crits and spell power ultra specialized with multiple SLA's that make SP use minimal.

FvS/Cleric light nuker for starters.
    Last edited by Ironclans_evil_twin; 08-09-2013 at 08:05 PM.

Community Member TheLegendOfAra's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by droid327 View Post
    How about 16 Sorc/2 Monk/2 Rgr, since you're going to TWF with the Falcatas?

From Tempest tree, you get +2 dmg, +3 dodge, +10 PRR, +3 Reflex, 30% Haste Boost and a clickable +3[W] attack with a stacking DOT...you lose two Fighter feats, of course, but can you make the build work without them?
    While this idea appeals to me greatly, I'm just not sure I can work it out feat wise. What I end up(feats) with 2 Ranger split looks like:

Pali Dille
    Power Attack
    Cleave
    Toughness
    Great Cleave
    Maximize
    Empower
    Arcane Prodigy(Sorc past life for tier II Savant)
    Favored Enemy: Giant/Dragon/Elf(Can't decide what would be more useful yet)
    Exotic Weapon Prof: Khopesh
    Improved Critical: Slashing
    Improved Two Weapon Fighting
    Epic Toughness or Greater Two Weapon Fighting

I miss out on only 1 feat from Fighter, since I would have to take TWF manually, but it fighter splash would allow for both GTWF, and Epic Toughness.

Quote Originally Posted by Ironclans_evil_twin View Post
    Certainly more viable after the pass than before it.

Dynastic Falcatta's with their CHA/CHA to hit and Damage... after that you need hit points and enough defenses to take some hits...

Everything after that is just a balancing act of how much melee DPS you want to do versus nuking versus survivability...

The new pass will make the most shallow melee splash workable to get low hanging fruit enhancements (level 3 to get tier three).

OTOH if you dismiss DC's and Spell penn and use almost only no save spells you can probably deeply multiclass, as the Pass is very much condusive to deeper splits than the old system was. Of course at that point you don't need DC's so Charisma based becomes pointless. and you could build a STR based weapon using PM/Archmagi with force SLA's and Shiradi procs.
    Honestly, I can't stand playing a "caster" for more than about a week. So Not going to be doing Shiradi proc's or anything. Was planning on being in melee 100% of the time, and only casting buffs, AOE's and DOT's. Maybe throw in some spells like CloudKill, Solid Fog, Otto's Irresistable Dance, etc. Was thinking either running LD, or FOTW.

I had considered doing 12Sorc/6Fighter/2Monk or 14Sorc/4Ranger/2Monk as deeper splashes, for more feats(Bonus and freebies) but I wasn't sure how the new system would reward these builds.. Also, the loss of Otto's would hurt in EE where I would be counting on it for CC. Picturing it as a Sorc version of stunning blow, without the extra damage. I run with a sorc who uses it for CC in EE's when I'm on my ranger charging blitz and it's extremely effective.
    Araphina Skycrow - 15Paladin/3Ranger/2Fighter (Life10/25) 5xRanger, 3xPaladin, 2xMonk
    Araphell - Arasin - Arathaes - Arawyn - Aravein
    Guild: Fors Fortis;Guild of Won, & VENOM @ Argo
    "And we learn, as we age; We've learned nothing! And my body still aches."