Default Repeating XBow bug

Before I bug report this, I want to make sure it's not just me, because it's a pretty major bug. And yet, it's not on the known bugs list, and I've found no discussion of it anywhere on the forums. So maybe it is just me

I'm currently running a repeating XBow using artificer in a solo project.

The problem/bug I see is this: When you constant fire the xbow, it seems to de-synch with the server after a few shots.

So the first two volleys (bolts 1-6) shoot fine and hit. No worries there. Then the third volley (bolts 7-9) fire, but there is a significant delay in the server reporting back damage values. And by significant I mean a good 1 to 2 seconds of delay time. The fourth volley (bolts 10-12) fire, but are not registered at all by the server. And then we go back and start all over again (the next two work fine, then a delayed result, then no result).

If you stop firing the xbow for two or three seconds, it seems to reset itself.

Sometimes it's the first three volleys that work fine, and then volleys four and five malfunction.

It doesn't have to be against mobs. You can see the same thing shooting breakables (find four or five of them together, shoot them, and the fourth or fifth won't break, you have to shoot it again).

Does anyone else see this behavior, or is it just me? I don't generally have a lot of lag issues on my end, I run pretty smoothly, except for this one thing.
    The locus of my identity is totally exterior to me.
    "On my business card, I am a corporate president. In my mind, I am a game developer. But in my heart, I am a gamer." - Satoru Iwata

The Hatchery
    2014 & 2016 DDO Players Council

Hmm, I haven't played my repeater users in a while, but I do remember this happening back then. I'll see if I can be bothered to check one of them out soon.
    <seemingly offensive Army of Darkness quote>

I have seen things like that, but just attributed it to little wisps of lag.

Haven't played my Arty in months, so not sure how bad it is recently.
    CEO - Cupcake's Muskateers, Thelanis
    DDO Freebies

Quote Originally Posted by cdbd3rd View Post
    I have seen things like that, but just attributed it to little wisps of lag.

Haven't played my Arty in months, so not sure how bad it is recently.
    Yeah, see I don't think it is lag. Because if it was, it would be random. This is completely repeatable. I know for a fact that will get two or three good shots in, one delayed shot, and one wasted shot, and then repeat. That isn't caused by dropped packets and whatnot

To me that says the client and the server disagree about how fast the xbow should be firing shots, and since the server is the authority, it is not returning damage numbers if it thinks you are firing faster than you ought to be able to. Maybe there is some anti-cheat code going wacky there.

I think maybe it is much more noticeable to me because I'm soloing. With a party, you might not notice as much. But I think repeaters are not getting as many shots in as they think they are.
    "On my business card, I am a corporate president. In my mind, I am a game developer. But in my heart, I am a gamer." - Satoru Iwata

Community Member

There is a display bug, I think...are you sure you're not getting your fourth salvo, though? Even if its not showing flyover numbers?

Try firing four salvos, and then stop, until you're sure the HP bar only moved 3 times. See if you're really losing the damage

Also, I find it doesn't happen very much when you manually fire - which gives you a better ROF anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by droid327 View Post
    Also, I find it doesn't happen very much when you manually fire - which gives you a better ROF anyway.
    I stopped manually timing the shots because I thought it caused the de-sync problem - precisely because it gives you a better ROF (perhaps beyond the intended rate, so invalid). Since picking up a repeater build again, I'm seeing the same effect when holding down fire.
    Suffice it to say, I've seen delayed and absent volleys using both manual and continuous firing.

Quote Originally Posted by droid327 View Post
    There is a display bug, I think...are you sure you're not getting your fourth salvo, though? Even if its not showing flyover numbers?

Try firing four salvos, and then stop, until you're sure the HP bar only moved 3 times. See if you're really losing the damage
    I would say it's not a display bug, because of the breakables. Line up four or five breakables and shoot them one by one as fast as you can, you will find the fourth (or fifth) breakable does not break when you shoot it (and the third or fourth only breaks after a 1-2 second delay).

So yeah, I think you are losing that last shot in actual fact, and not just in display.

Hmmm, no, I only fire manually myself. In fact, I didn't know you could fire automatically. I may have to try that out

Who can keep track of all the flights and hotels?!?!?!?!?!

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    I would say it's not a display bug, because of the breakables. Line up four or five breakables and shoot them one by one as fast as you can, you will find the fourth (or fifth) breakable does not break when you shoot it (and the third or fourth only breaks after a 1-2 second delay).

So yeah, I think you are losing that last shot in actual fact, and not just in display.

Hmmm, no, I only fire manually myself. In fact, I didn't know you could fire automatically. I may have to try that out
    It is a bug and I'm not sure if they have it on the known issues list or not.

I have played 7 repeater lives on my Main and on every life I had a massive amount of shots not register. No hit roll, no damage numbers. (never checked to see if bolts were even being used)

I bug reported it the first time I noticed it, not after that.
    Knorgh (triple triple completionist) Currently 12 Wizard/6 Ranger/2 Monk

There are three ways of firing, AFAICT:
    1. Using auto-attack and hard-targetting things
    2. Holding down the left mouse button (or whatever "attack" is mapped to)
    3. Pressing attack (left-click) long enough for the shots to go off and releasing as the reload animation starts (or thereabouts); then press again once the reload is finished (or thereabouts).

AFAIK 1 and 2 perform the same (been a while since I tried 1 though), whereas 3 can increase your ROF slightly by eliminating some of the post-reload pause, if you time it right.
    When I was talking about "manual" firing I was referring to method 3, as I think was droid.

Community Member

Before I bug report this, I want to make sure it's not just me, because it's a pretty major bug. And yet, it's not on the known bugs list, and I've found no discussion of it anywhere on the forums. So maybe it is just me

I'm currently running a repeating XBow using artificer in a solo project.

The problem/bug I see is this: When you constant fire the xbow, it seems to de-synch with the server after a few shots.

So the first two volleys (bolts 1-6) shoot fine and hit. No worries there. Then the third volley (bolts 7-9) fire, but there is a significant delay in the server reporting back damage values. And by significant I mean a good 1 to 2 seconds of delay time. The fourth volley (bolts 10-12) fire, but are not registered at all by the server. And then we go back and start all over again (the next two work fine, then a delayed result, then no result).

If you stop firing the xbow for two or three seconds, it seems to reset itself.

Sometimes it's the first three volleys that work fine, and then volleys four and five malfunction.

It doesn't have to be against mobs. You can see the same thing shooting breakables (find four or five of them together, shoot them, and the fourth or fifth won't break, you have to shoot it again).

Does anyone else see this behavior, or is it just me? I don't generally have a lot of lag issues on my end, I run pretty smoothly, except for this one thing.
    Due to broken forums still I cannot post the link, but this has been a bug since U14 or U15

it was there 10/19/2011 or earlier and has never really been fixed. The firing falls out of sync with the sound and animation

Google fu "ddo crossbow bug forums site:www.ddo.com"

Community Member

yup, been around forever. happens with hand to hand too, but not as often. and, happens with bows. i'm pretty sure some dev mentioned they knew about it a while ago, but i'd report it anyway. producerrowan wants us to burn down the house after all.

Quote Originally Posted by Urist View Post
    AFAIK 1 and 2 perform the same (been a while since I tried 1 though), whereas 3 can increase your ROF slightly by eliminating some of the post-reload pause, if you time it right.
    When I was talking about "manual" firing I was referring to method 3, as I think was droid.
    well, if you call it "slightly" you could as well skip haste. both improve rate of fire equally. (12 to 14% for manual firing. stacks with all feats and spells and hastes)
    why it is there is a question that should be aimed at Artificer endless fusillade, which skips reload... (and without that pause, would likely multiply bolts fired by like 10 to 15) it's... all fitting together.

new firing mode, artificers and bug appeared all in same update.
    Amazing, they actually managed to fix forum account post count and stuff without me bug reporting it!
    O.o there is hope out there yet!

Scholar Of Adventure & Hero Missing_Minds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Towrn View Post
    It is a bug and I'm not sure if they have it on the known issues list or not.

I have played 7 repeater lives on my Main and on every life I had a massive amount of shots not register. No hit roll, no damage numbers. (never checked to see if bolts were even being used)

I bug reported it the first time I noticed it, not after that.
    I've seen this behavior myself, and it annoys me.

But I don't think it is a "lost shot" actually. I think it is the case that the server is "denying the shot". I bet the server thinks we are shooting too fast and saying "no."

Either that or the "state" of our character gets out of sync with the server so it causes these conditions. Remember, the repeaters have a broken up reload shoot style now. It isn't shoot and reload like it used to be.

Alright, thanks guys, I guess that's confirmed that it isn't just me seeing this. I'll go ahead and bug report it with as much info as I can, and hopefully it will get looked at at some point.

Alright, thanks guys, I guess that's confirmed that it isn't just me seeing this. I'll go ahead and bug report it with as much info as I can, and hopefully it will get looked at at some point.
    Turbine nerfed the bowstrings, so you need to re-attach them ~every 4-5 shots.
    http://myaccount.turbine.com

Je ne suis pas
    DDO Alpha Tester

Community Member

Not sure if that's related, but when attack with my hasted TWF rogue, the damag numbers even continue running for 3-4 secs after the mobs are already dead.

Scholar Of Adventure & Hero Missing_Minds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DunkleNymphe View Post
    Not sure if that's related, but when attack with my hasted TWF rogue, the damag numbers even continue running for 3-4 secs after the mobs are already dead.
    Not related and working as intended. The numbers only scroll so fast, so they'll still finish up their que even after the creature has died. The bottleneck is the scrolling speed.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by luxgolg2 View Post
    Due to broken forums still I cannot post the link, but this has been a bug since U14 or U15

it was there 10/19/2011 or earlier and has never really been fixed. The firing falls out of sync with the sound and animation

Google fu "ddo crossbow bug forums site:www.ddo.com"
    It's definitely been there that long. I do recall some issue with the 4th volley either as being looked at or listed as "fixed", but I think there was a seperate problem perhaps?

Try firing manually, but give it a beat or two to reload between 3 and 4 and see what happens. I don't think it's any worse a ROF than autofire.