Default Glancing blow weapon procs

How worthwhile are these to pursue? From what I can gather, the max available is:

3% THF
    3% ITHF
    3% GTHF
    10% PTHF
    6% Great Weapon Aptitude III (racial enh for human, horc, wf, bladeforged, pdk)
    9% Malicious Weapons III (tier 3 fury of the wild)
    ----
    34%

Is this worth pursuing aggressively, or is just the standard 19% from taking the full THF line (including "perfect") sufficient?

Hero
    2015 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by EllisDee37 View Post
    How worthwhile are these to pursue? From what I can gather, the max available is:

3% THF
    3% ITHF
    3% GTHF
    10% PTHF
    6% Great Weapon Aptitude III (racial enh for human, horc, wf, bladeforged, pdk)
    9% Malicious Weapons III (tier 3 fury of the wild)
    ----
    34%

Is this worth pursuing aggressively, or is just the standard 19% from taking the full THF line (including "perfect") sufficient?
    I imagine it depends how many weapon procs you have on your weapon. The more damage your weapon does on procs the more worthwhile it will be.

One way to quantify it a bit is this.

Take your the average damage your weapon does on a proc and multiply it by the %chance. (as a decimal)

So lets say your weapon only does an average of 7 damage from procs.

7*.19 = 1.33
    7*.34 = 2.38

Are those extra enhancements worth an extra 1 damage per glancing blow or could you get more damage/utility by spending those points elsewhere?

Now if you are getting say an average of 30 damage on procs:

30*.19 = 5.7
    30*.34 = 10.2

So an extra 4.5 damage per glancing blow.

You also have to consider that not every attack triggers a glancing blow so it's not a straight damage increase of that amount.
    Last edited by Krelar; 08-29-2013 at 07:23 PM.

Uber Uber Completionist
    2014 DDO Player Council
    The Stormreach Campaign
    Scotland - where the dwarf accents come from

Was curious to have a look at the options here myself. Results look like.

Human Great Weapon Fighting Style (need Improved and Greater THF) = +6% glancing blow proc
    Warforged Great Weapon Aptitude (need Improved and Greater THF) = +6% glancing blow proc
    Half-Orc Great Weapon Aptitude (need Improved and Greater THF) = +6% glancing blow proc
    Bladeforged Great Weapon Aptitude (need Improved and Greater THF) = +6% glancing blow proc
    Purple Dragon Knight Great Weapon Fighting Style (need Improved and Greater THF) = +6% glancing blow proc

Frenzied Berserker Tier 2 Angry Arms = +3% glancing blow proc, +5% glancing blow damage
    Frenzied Berserker Tier 3 Mad Munitions (need Greater THF) = +3% glancing blow proc, +5% glancing blow damage
    Frenzied Berserker Tier 5 Focus Wide = Vorpal and raged: +10% glancing blow proc, +10% glancing blow damage
    Thief Acrobat Tier 3 Improved Glancing Blows = +6% glancing blow proc
    Battle Engineer Tier 1 Weapon Training = +2% glancing blow proc with bastard swords and dwarven axes
    Battle Engineer Tier 2 Weapon Training = +4% glancing blow proc with bastard swords and dwarven axes (+6% total?)
    Battle Engineer Tier 3 Weapon Training = +6% glancing blow proc with bastard swords and dwarven axes (+12% total?)
    Battle Engineer Tier 4 Weapon Training = +8% glancing blow proc with bastard swords and dwarven axes (+20% total?)

Fury of the Wild Tier 3 Malicious Weapons = +9% glancing blow proc chance
    Fury of the Wild Tier 4 Wild Weapons = +9% glancing blow damage

The TWF glancing blow proc improvements worked with bastard and dwarven axes before the enhancement revamp.

So in theory there's a build with 4 arti, 3 rogue and 3 barby that would get

19% TWF+ITWF+GTWF+PTHF
    + 6% Great Weapon Aptitude III Racial
    + 6% Berserker
    + 6% Acrobat
    +20% Arti
    + 9% Fury of the Wild
    66% total proc chance with 79% glancing blow damage (base 20% + 10% for TWF, ITWF, GTWF, PTWF)

Or on a vorpal with 5 barby levels: 76% proc chance with 89% damage?

2014 DDO Players Council
    Alt-pletionist

Don't forget Barbarian Angry Arms up to +3% chance for glances and 5% damage and Mad Munitions also 3% and 5% available from a 2 and 3 splash respectively, for a total of 6 extra proc chance and 10% more of your damage applying. There's also "chance to proc special effects" from your weapons affixes. And that factor also has the "how many affixes are you sporting" to factor in.

I have a Frozen of a Thousand Suns Greataxe, that's Frozen, Coruscating 2d6, Greater sunburst, Holy burst... Does EVERY affix on your weapon have "special effect proc chance" (up to 9% from the feats) or is it just one chance and then one of those is selected by the game? a 9% chance of each one procing on any glancing blow is getting good. a 9% chance for only one picked however the game picks it, is underwelming considering you're talking about a 40 or so chance for a glance, then a 9% chance for a affix proc.

The question of how much is enough is the eternal min/max question

But I don't think it's that simple because you have three compounding factors, chance to get a glance, % of weapon damage done, and special effect proc chance.
    Last edited by IronClan; 08-29-2013 at 07:39 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by IronClan View Post
    You can't possibly design good gameplay if excitement unpredictability and unknowns are NOT ALLOWED because they confuse some players who want everything cut and dried and spelled out for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Krelar View Post
    I imagine it depends how many weapon procs you have on your weapon.
    Excellent point. With an eAGA or eSOS, for example, the difference won't likely be that relevant.

What if I have a mauling/mangling weapon, or any type of burst/maiming/bloodletter weapon? How do crit-based procs work with glancing blows? Is each glancing blow given a crit roll, or does it just piggyback off the crit of the hit it glances off?

is great weapon aptitude even fixed? I know it was broken for...hell ever. And i'm pretty sure it was broke before the pass, did the people ever fix that one or just copy and paste er over?
    Through avarice, evil smiles; through insanity, it sings.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Deadlock View Post
    Battle Engineer Tier 4 Weapon Training = +8% glancing blow proc with bastard swords and dwarven axes (+20% total?)
    I asked a dev to clarify the battle engineer enhancements on Lama since I found it hard to believe they meant literally +2, +4, +6, and +8% proc chance at each tier. My guess was the proc chance is adding 2% at each tier and someone wrote a misleading and inconsistent description giving the total at each step instead of the increment. No conclusive answer given other than "probably not really 20%". To be safe I'd use 8% (2% at each tier) instead of 20% cumulative. 20% would be a great boost for melee artificers but it's way higher than what is available in other enhancements...

Community Member FlaviusMaximus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hit_fido View Post
    I asked a dev to clarify the battle engineer enhancements on Lama since I found it hard to believe they meant literally +2, +4, +6, and +8% proc chance at each tier. My guess was the proc chance is adding 2% at each tier and someone wrote a misleading and inconsistent description giving the total at each step instead of the increment. No conclusive answer given other than "probably not really 20%". To be safe I'd use 8% (2% at each tier) instead of 20% cumulative. 20% would be a great boost for melee artificers but it's way higher than what is available in other enhancements...
    Yes. 20% would be a stretch.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by EllisDee37 View Post
    10% PTHF
    what is pthf mate?

Quote Originally Posted by MrRoboto View Post
    what is pthf mate?
    Perfect Two Handed fighting: T1 epic destiny feat, primal sphere

Community Member FlaviusMaximus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MrRoboto View Post
    what is pthf mate?
    Perfect Two Handed Fighting. Destiny feat and jinx.

Community Member

anymore info on this? can you proc crit damage procs off of glancing blow? can glancing blow crit?

what about things like deception or double strike? would those have a 3-5% chance to trigger and then a +% chance from glancing blow proc chance to trigger? would they combine for a glancing blow%+ enhancement %?

Like if you had 5% double strike and 15% glancing blow proc chance for special effects would double strike proc 5% of the time on glancing blow, 15%, or 20% if at all?
    Last edited by Exiledtyrant; 09-15-2013 at 01:58 AM.

Community Member

bump

Community Member

I messed around a bit on lamania with 21% glancing blow proc. cloudburst procced a ton so it seems it works on stuff like named weapons on alchemical weapons with special elemental mods like incineration etc. Couldn't get double strike to proc after doing 20k damage of hits with a level 4 helstroke great axe that had 3% double strike chance. Couldn't find a terror greatsword to test 5% deception. Tried some named weapons with critical effects didn't see any proc. Glancing blows don't look like they crit either. Constant damage effects like ability damage, 1-6 elemental damage etc seem to proc of of glancing blows.

Doesn't seem that great unless you have a named weapon with a big damage proc like cloud burst. I have no idea if there are any exceptions I just took a bunch of weapons from the treasure room and start wacking the kobald test dummies.