Community Member

Talking Why the flame for Flamestrike?

Honest question from someone who's never taken it. Playing a FVS (2nd time around), and it seems like a decent option given my gear and PRE bonus to fire and untyped spellpower, though admittedly I wouldn't take it before divine punishment, slay living or greater command, the other major 5th lvl spell options. Yet, I've only seen negative comments (in passing) about it in the forums. What's the problem? Saves out of whack?

Thanks in advance.

In my experience, the spell animation is too slow. Not only that, but there is a pause between when you activate the spell and when it actually appears. It's easy to miss the target you were aiming for.

Community Member RavenStormclaw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HatsuharuZ View Post
    In my experience, the spell animation is too slow. Not only that, but there is a pause between when you activate the spell and when it actually appears. It's easy to miss the target you were aiming for.
    this...using it on my current FvS build it can miss very easily due to the 3-4 second lag between casting and hitting the target...it's works for me since I play a melee FvS with lower wisdom...I engage then cast it...but if you aim at a distant mob they may move and be out of range.

Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HatsuharuZ View Post
    This. Plus Flame Strike caps out at 30d3 dmg at CL:15; so an average base dmg of 60 pts at higher levels. Whereas Cometfall caps out at 20d3+60 at CL:20 (avg base dmg 80 pts @ lvl 20+); so it's better DPS and has a knockdown effect. Plus half the dmg from Flame Strike is fire (duh) and there are a lot of fire-immune/-resistant mobs in DDO; whereas Cometfall is bludgeoning dmg.

So pretty much the only reasons to use FS after you have CF is because the SP cost is lower (20 vs 35 SPs); or you're fighting fire-vulnerable mobs like ice mephits.

Community Member

I used on my last two FvS lives. It has it's place, namely the time when you first get level 5 spells, and the time you get level 6 spells . I liked having to add a 2nd AoE spell to my rotation (Holy smite being the other one) when gathering mobs. Then slow animation does make it a bit tricky to use though.
    Ceruleus ~ Nnomad ~ Nnia ~ Nnurgh ~ Cynnical
    Cannith

Quote Originally Posted by nni View Post
    I used on my last two FvS lives. It has it's place, namely the time when you first get level 5 spells, and the time you get level 6 spells . I liked having to add a 2nd AoE spell to my rotation (Holy smite being the other one) when gathering mobs. Then slow animation does make it a bit tricky to use though.
    Unmetaed Soundburst ( only heighten if you have it ). Or even all metas on on Holy Smite. Flame Strike is just awful and you don't have to slot combustion on gear.
    Shahang Nezhat Bellezza Wipekin Farida of Ghallanda

Community Member

Main reason is that the moment it finally goes off the group is already 5 packs ahead of you.

Community Member

Thanks all, good info. I use Soundburst a lot, so I'm frequently in the position of having a group of stunned mobs and no AOE to quickly finish them all off (I usually have arcanes around for that, but they seem to be scarce on Khyber these days). I thought Flame Strike might do the trick. It doesn't sound like it, but the fact that casting lag is the main complaint makes me wonder if quickening it would make it ok. That said, I'm not keen to pass over Divine Punishment for my spell selection at lvl 11. Guess I could try Holy Smite instead for my first AOE dps, though it's quite a bit weaker, especially again non-evil mobs, and would mean passing up FOM. Decisions, decisions...

Lowbie divine spell book is a total joke, Holy Smite is absolutely your first lvl 4 spell as caster if you want to kill stuff.
    Craft 40+ radiance somewhere ( ring, or flexible anywhere ) and hope you got that Vibrant Purple on, cause with some metas, it's not cheap. If you got some melee company, you can turn off meta and hoard mobs and spam it unmetaed with Soundburst for stun+blind whole groups.
    Second lvl 4 spell is Fom, you got Tangleroot clickies for DW but failed will save can ruin your ( or that rogue's with you ) day.
    Then Slay Living, Divine Punishment/Greater Command, heal scrolls for healing.
    Then you are 12 and all the world problems go away
    Last edited by Encair; 08-08-2013 at 05:49 AM.
    Shahang Nezhat Bellezza Wipekin Farida of Ghallanda

Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bluenoser View Post
    It doesn't sound like it, but the fact that casting lag is the main complaint makes me wonder if quickening it would make it ok.
    The lag is between when you finish casting the spell and when it actually drops from the sky; Quicken has no effect on that, AFAIK.