Default Knight of the Chalice build questions

So right now I have a level 20 Paladin, just started her unyielding sentinel destiny, and I'm a little concerned.
    She's pure 20 and human, second life (past life FVS), and Two-weapon fighting generally with scimitars or longswords. I like the build of hers, but after playing a legend-build clonk I'm concerned that her damage just isn't high enough to make up for the lack of tanking abilities. When I pull my clonk into an epic dungeon/raid she can pull as much damage as my paladin while still being a healer, so I'm concerned that my paladin is really lacking.

But that being said, I can see a lot of potential in a build like this. Having all the extra damage on each hit, especially with a maxed sentinel destiny, with GTWF and Zeal I can see a lot of damage being pushed out. But I'm concerned that right now it's not balancing out very well. I would like to TR this character into a better version of the build and I'm here looking for advice.
    Currently I wouldn't say her damage is HORRIBLE for a level 20, and would be better with better gear, but as I said the survivability concerns me
    I should mention that I would honestly still like to TWF with scimitars or longswords, as this is one of my oldest characters and has used scimmies since creation.

I have four build ideas going around in my head right now:
    Pure 20 Paladin.
    Pros: Full damage from smite evil and access to the capstone with KOTC 3. Cons: Lack of evasion, feats are incredibly tight.
    18 Paladin/2 Monk.
    Pros: 2 Extra feats, access to unarmed damage with monk stances, possibly whirling steel strike, also still uses KOTC3. Cons: Feats are still pretty tight and stats are really spread out.
    12 Paladin/6 Monk/2 Fighter.
    Pros: Plenty of feats, access to monk finishers and higher unarmed damage, Still uses KOTC2 with increased damage. Cons: Loses out on Zeal and KOTC3, Shintao monk prestige not entirely useful.
    and finally, 12 Paladin/6 Fighter/2 Monk.
    Pros: Access to Stalwart stance for more survivability, able to use whirling steel strike effectively, not heavily feat starved. Cons: Lack of Zeal and KOTC3, along with lower Smite Evil damage.

So I'm stuck at a standstill, especially since I know people are going to expect me to tank and this toon was just never built for that(her first life was a healer, honestly). So I was wondering if there are people out there with more experience with these kinds of builds that would have any advice for me. A big part of what I'm looking for is survivability, because without that I'm going to feel burned out and just going to head back to my cleric.
    Main/Only character:
    Pyrerose, the Overlord of Love
    Double heroic completionist, still in love with heroic content
    Current life:
    16 FVS/3 Monk/1 Fighter, The Priestess of Vol

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Chaoscheerio View Post
    So right now I have a level 20 Paladin, just started her unyielding sentinel destiny, and I'm a little concerned.
    She's pure 20 and human, second life (past life FVS), and Two-weapon fighting generally with scimitars or longswords. I like the build of hers, but after playing a legend-build clonk I'm concerned that her damage just isn't high enough to make up for the lack of tanking abilities. When I pull my clonk into an epic dungeon/raid she can pull as much damage as my paladin while still being a healer, so I'm concerned that my paladin is really lacking.

But that being said, I can see a lot of potential in a build like this. Having all the extra damage on each hit, especially with a maxed sentinel destiny, with GTWF and Zeal I can see a lot of damage being pushed out. But I'm concerned that right now it's not balancing out very well. I would like to TR this character into a better version of the build and I'm here looking for advice.
    Currently I wouldn't say her damage is HORRIBLE for a level 20, and would be better with better gear, but as I said the survivability concerns me
    I should mention that I would honestly still like to TWF with scimitars or longswords, as this is one of my oldest characters and has used scimmies since creation.

I have four build ideas going around in my head right now:
    Pure 20 Paladin.
    Pros: Full damage from smite evil and access to the capstone with KOTC 3. Cons: Lack of evasion, feats are incredibly tight.
    18 Paladin/2 Monk.
    Pros: 2 Extra feats, access to unarmed damage with monk stances, possibly whirling steel strike, also still uses KOTC3. Cons: Feats are still pretty tight and stats are really spread out.
    12 Paladin/6 Monk/2 Fighter.
    Pros: Plenty of feats, access to monk finishers and higher unarmed damage, Still uses KOTC2 with increased damage. Cons: Loses out on Zeal and KOTC3, Shintao monk prestige not entirely useful.
    and finally, 12 Paladin/6 Fighter/2 Monk.
    Pros: Access to Stalwart stance for more survivability, able to use whirling steel strike effectively, not heavily feat starved. Cons: Lack of Zeal and KOTC3, along with lower Smite Evil damage.

So I'm stuck at a standstill, especially since I know people are going to expect me to tank and this toon was just never built for that(her first life was a healer, honestly). So I was wondering if there are people out there with more experience with these kinds of builds that would have any advice for me. A big part of what I'm looking for is survivability, because without that I'm going to feel burned out and just going to head back to my cleric.
    I'm far from an expert, but since you haven't had any response in 2 days I'll chime in.

My current main toon was a 12 rng / 8 ftr (tempest II/Kensei I) last life and I recently TR'd to a 18pal/2monk build (just hit level 11). Last life I was HOrc fighting with Khopesh (was close to swapping to Balizarde/celestia/deathnip combos) and I shelled out GREAT damage both in melee and with fury shot, I could self heal (mostly out of combat since I only had cure moderate and cocoon), had evasion (though saves were kind of mediocre). In short it was very effective and fun. I was concerned this life would be... less. So far I'm kicking butt. I have great saves, evasion, better healing, and I'm strangely impressed by my DPS. Now admittedly last life I developed really late due to the feat pre-reqs for tempest and this life I frontloaded almost all my offensive feats so the feel of power may fade with levels, but I like it a lot. It's based on the concepts of the DDD and axehead builds, which is to say a S&B DPS build (not a tank, but can do that if needed). Build for doublestrike and stay S&B all the time rather than swapping to great weapons for DPS when not tanking. For feats I took PA, cleave, GC, THF, ITF, GTF, SM, ISM, OC (not in order, but take GC as fast as possible) and I took the monk levels at 2 and 3. I love the build so far, and I loved the build I had last life if it may interest you. If you're merely looking for a self sufficient melee build you can also look at juggernaut (of course).

If you are more interested in fighting with two-handers and DPSing but really want to play a pally I might recommend the 12ftr/6pal/2monk option. This gets you kensei II cure light (out of combat), some small LOH, and most importantly unyielding sovereignty for emergency combat heals, gets you lots of feats, great saves, evasion (can always throw on heavy armor and ignore evasion when needed). What I wouldn't do is take away fury option for anything less than defender stance III (either from ftr or pal).

Community Member

Not a pure build and not TWF, so i'm not sure if you're interested BUT, the Pyrene build is rather solid. It's self sufficient and has DPS options, largely via EDs.

Quote Originally Posted by Iaga View Post
    Not a pure build and not TWF, so i'm not sure if you're interested BUT, the Pyrene build is rather solid. It's self sufficient and has DPS options, largely via EDs.
    The Pyrene can be changed to TWF but TWF is not really the best for ee atm...
    Argonnessen: Hilmir - Purkilius - Jinu - Vignir @ Blood Assassin´s