Community Member

Default Forum Logout Mystery

Yesterday I was finally able to upgrade my prehistoric PC and I've now started getting the old problems I was having a few months ago with ridiculously short forum auto-logout. I also have the DX10 problems with black charcoal background and half the UI thread tools missing (the layout is different so it might be an oversight in the coding of the UI for DX10?)

Well my old machine was Vista Home Basic 32 bit triple core AMD, each core running at 800 mhz. My new one is Windows 8 64 bit, quad core AMD with each core running at about 1100 mhz. I'm wondering if the forum timeout is related to clock speed somehow since that's the only real thing apart from my operating system that has changed.

Windows 8 is.. different. I've been spending all day wrangling with it to try and get it to a more classic type'o desktop setup rather than the website inspired tile interface thingy. Downloading DDO for the new hard drive and getting 2.8 meg a second. I'd like to give the DDO team a big thank you for getting the client/installer package setup sorted out after the horrendous mess it was in before; it's going like a dream right now.

Anyway I hope they can get the forum timeout problem ironed out soon as well as the DX10 problems. Hrm, I just clicked the area below the text window near where the smileys are and the charcoal background changed to white, so that looks like it might be a highlighting problem.

W00t, DDO ready to install

Community Member

The forum logout thing is a pain in the fundament for everyone - it's not you or your machine. Just nasty coding.

WRT DX10, I believe this is a known issue. I think you need to go with DX9 for now. Presumably it'll be fixed when DX987987987 comes out in Stardate 60937.2.

Welcome back

Aes.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Istaria1 View Post
    The forum logout thing is a pain in the fundament for everyone - it's not you or your machine. Just nasty coding.

WRT DX10, I believe this is a known issue. I think you need to go with DX9 for now. Presumably it'll be fixed when DX987987987 comes out in Stardate 60937.2.

Welcome back

Aes.
    Thanks a lot My motherboard PCI-E graphics slot died on the old machine about 3 months ago so it's been a long wait to play DDO again due to finances. DX11 here but yeah, I hope they can fix the problems sooner rather than later.

Brand / Commerce Manager Tolero's Avatar

It's not you, it's on our end. For a while we had the issue pinned down, but then one of the fixes was over-written during a back end system update. We've redeployed that fix this afternoon, so let us know if it's kicking you sooner than 45 minutes worth of inactivity (and ESPECIALLY let us know if it's doing it on activity rather than inactivity... just remember that composing a lengthy forum post is not "activity". Activity is only anything that causes you to send/receive data to the site).

Hero

Quote Originally Posted by Tolero View Post
    It's not you, it's on our end. For a while we had the issue pinned down, but then one of the fixes was over-written during a back end system update. We've redeployed that fix this afternoon, so let us know if it's kicking you sooner than 45 minutes worth of inactivity (and ESPECIALLY let us know if it's doing it on activity rather than inactivity... just remember that composing a lengthy forum post is not "activity". Activity is only anything that causes you to send/receive data to the site).
    Not exactly sure when you deployed the re-fix, but roughly an hour ago I was logged out 3 time consecutively within about ten minutes. Granted these were separate tabs in Firefox (not sure if that makes a difference) but I was actively browsing in each tab.

I don't think it was the same logout as after each time I re logged back in I refreshed each tab. (since I couldn't see the Lama forums if I didn't)

[...] 45 minutes worth of inactivity [...]
    This, right here, is just abominable feature for a forum. Putting this in has been one of the worst decisions You've made for the site (which does look nice and modern). It's the sole reason I seldom ever post anymore.

Community Member

Thanks it seems to have worked, I haven't been booted today. Unfortunately I've had some other problems, notably being unable to edit posts, where after clicking the edit button nothing happens (cursor activity but essentially freezes). There's also been instability with threads failing to load half the time (might be a lag issue on my end). Would appreciate you checking into it if you can.

Brand / Commerce Manager Tolero's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Aolas View Post
    Thanks it seems to have worked, I haven't been booted today. Unfortunately I've had some other problems, notably being unable to edit posts, where after clicking the edit button nothing happens (cursor activity but essentially freezes). There's also been instability with threads failing to load half the time (might be a lag issue on my end). Would appreciate you checking into it if you can.
    Those last two, have they been happening more often this week, or about the same? We did see some web slowness in our reporting around 3am the day before yesterday, but it cleared up. Also, all browsers or just a particular one?

Community Member

Those last two, have they been happening more often this week, or about the same? We did see some web slowness in our reporting around 3am the day before yesterday, but it cleared up. Also, all browsers or just a particular one?
    I am using IE, and I need to right-click Edit and open in a new tab to get to it. Otherwise, it hangs with active cursor, but nothing else. Same goes for Rep button. I have had these problems since the change.
    http://myaccount.turbine.com

Je ne suis pas
    DDO Alpha Tester

just get rid of the auto-logout... and don't make us use account login for a forum...

just revert back to the older forum =_=
    PS: Greensteel RUINED the game! and you all know it!
    less buffing, more nerfing!!!
    to make it easier for those of you that wants to avoid me in game, all my characters are in "Bladesworn Mercenaries"

Autologouts still occurring here, under 45 minutes, Chrome. Worse is the "mark forums read on logout" problem. One second I'm reading threads, the next my "new posts" button returns "there are no new posts".

And of course there's still the styling issues, and not to be snippy, but the community had a fix within days, yet on your end it's going on 4 months...

Community Member

Using Internet Explorer bundled with Windows 8 with Google(UK) set as homepage. I then do a Google search for DDO forums so IE->Google->DDO Forums..

It was last week. I was getting page not found errors and had to try multiple times to load threads. I also blog on DCUO forums (Sony Online) and get the same problems there (assumed my ISP was at fault). It was also loading some of the old forum screens from time to time instead of the new ones, this latter problem has cleared up. It's about 20% error on page not found at the moment (maybe I am browsing forums too quickly)

I sent you a PM regarding some serious issues I had yesterday. After making one post the reply to thread button disappeared and reply with quote button redirected me to the forum link list. I was accessing threads through My Profile (which is how I keep track of postings and if I need to make replies). Speaking of My Profile, when I make a post it doesn't appear on My Content. I have to log out/log in for it to appear. Also when I make posts via the my content list, the post is invisible on the thread.

Web Slowness: It might not be of relevance but I thought I would mention that recently, DCUO was the subject of DDS attacks that caused some major problems with server access and lag.

Many thanks for all your help looking into things

edit: Oh feh, I might not have been able to reply to thread because the forums may have logged me out *blushes*. Thanks to Tscheuss for the right click/open new tab info, I am now able to edit *bing*
    Last edited by Aolas; 08-12-2013 at 08:52 AM.

Community Member

Argh. I'm trying to post a reply to Ron's Character Planner 3.xx thread in Guides and Strategy forum simply just to thank the guys for deciding to update the planner for the new enhancements and I have no reply to thread button. Right click edit/open new tab takes me to the community->forum lists page. I am definitely logged in.

It's kind of testing my patience a little. I would like to enjoy the forums as well as the game too.

Community Member

Forums behaving themselves today at 11.49am GMT and been good for the best part of an hour. Reply to Thread button has reappeared. No Bad Gateway errors or lag. Invisibility issues in My Profile/thread unapparent.

Fingers crossed that it's plain sailing from now on and to whomever kind soul(s) fixed things a huge THANK YOU /manhug or /kisses I'm a veeeery happy bear

I noticed yesterday that problems began occurring at around 11.30am. If things turn sticky again I'll keep you posted.

Hurrah!

Edit: 12.22 GMT. Website lag reported from 12.12pm GMT. I posted a reply to Ron's character planner 3.x thread in Guides and strategies. The message was simply {img}img http://9.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_kv4399hWWz1qzdr4go1_500.jpg{/img}. Post is invisible on the thread and in My Profile. Is this a bug associated with the fact that the message contains no text only BB code? After posting I got a "your browser will be redirected" page. I used curly brackets for this edit rather than the normal square brackets to prevent the image being displayed.

Etdit2: sorry, it was right click, open in new tab Reply with Quote to Ron's last post. I chopped the quotation at "we are working on it.". Previewed it and it displayed just fine. saved changes and got the browser redirect page. Seems like the post failed to land, it's invisible in My Profile and on the thread. I'll call it a day for posting on forums again and hope this edit completes.
    Last edited by Aolas; 08-14-2013 at 06:44 AM.

Community Member

My sincere apologies to everyone for any irritation caused by the finicky nature of my posts :/